Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Five languages at once...
Ok. I think I might be getting overzealous but. Ever since I started taking spanish in highschool I've had a thirst for new languages. So now, on memrise. I'm learning five languages. Or at least attempting. My teacher said it wouldn't be crazy if they were all romance languages but... I'm trying to learn Spanish, Korean, Italian, Japanese, and German. How crazy am I? I dont know.

I mean, I know someone whos taking like four languages in school in europe so maybe this is just an America problem?
Ok. I think I might be getting overzealous but. Ever since I started taking spanish in highschool I've had a thirst for new languages. So now, on memrise. I'm learning five languages. Or at least attempting. My teacher said it wouldn't be crazy if they were all romance languages but... I'm trying to learn Spanish, Korean, Italian, Japanese, and German. How crazy am I? I dont know.

I mean, I know someone whos taking like four languages in school in europe so maybe this is just an America problem?
GONasSc.png
wow and i hthought 4 was hard enough
(only know 2 at the moment, russian(native) and english. plannning on learning esperanto and german.)
wow and i hthought 4 was hard enough
(only know 2 at the moment, russian(native) and english. plannning on learning esperanto and german.)
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
I had three foreign languages in school (+ my native language, of course) and I knew people who were taking an extra one outside of school. Starting all from zero at the same time might be a bit too much, but learning five at some point is not crazy at all. Or maybe I'm crazy because I'm currently learning two more.
I had three foreign languages in school (+ my native language, of course) and I knew people who were taking an extra one outside of school. Starting all from zero at the same time might be a bit too much, but learning five at some point is not crazy at all. Or maybe I'm crazy because I'm currently learning two more.
Female
tumblr_ny2ndzv4FB1u3noruo1_100.png qSaPwJQ.png
20VRtmo.png
Wow!
I only know 2, Bulgarian and English (on my 3rd one now - French). Although, I did study German and Spanish for, like a year or two both. But I have almost no memory of them XD
Btw I'm in Europe, so it might be an american problem.

Duolingo is also a great way to learn languages
Wow!
I only know 2, Bulgarian and English (on my 3rd one now - French). Although, I did study German and Spanish for, like a year or two both. But I have almost no memory of them XD
Btw I'm in Europe, so it might be an american problem.

Duolingo is also a great way to learn languages
Pressiboo #157888

8+ fr time
I suppose my only word on this is that you can not say that you are fluent unless you know more than "Hello" in each language...

Had a friend do that, he knew "Hello" and maybe "Thank you" in 6 languages and thought he could claim he knew them all... lol
I suppose my only word on this is that you can not say that you are fluent unless you know more than "Hello" in each language...

Had a friend do that, he knew "Hello" and maybe "Thank you" in 6 languages and thought he could claim he knew them all... lol
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
The only problem I see is potentially mixing up Spanish and Italian. I tried learning Italian while learning French and now I don't know the word for 'airplane' in either language xP I've since ditched Italian in favor of Finnish, which is different enough from French that I shouldn't mix up any words.
The only problem I see is potentially mixing up Spanish and Italian. I tried learning Italian while learning French and now I don't know the word for 'airplane' in either language xP I've since ditched Italian in favor of Finnish, which is different enough from French that I shouldn't mix up any words.
I tried learning some Japanese on Memrise. I gave up on like day 4. Why? The course I picked started throwing Kanji at me with no explanation whatsoever. I was doing great with Hiragana but Kanji was poorly taught.

There was a 3 year span were I was being taught 3 languages at the same time(native, english, french), but now if you ask me any french.. I barely count to 12.
I tried learning some Japanese on Memrise. I gave up on like day 4. Why? The course I picked started throwing Kanji at me with no explanation whatsoever. I was doing great with Hiragana but Kanji was poorly taught.

There was a 3 year span were I was being taught 3 languages at the same time(native, english, french), but now if you ask me any french.. I barely count to 12.
light_small.png
Happiness can be found,
even in the darkest of times,
if one only remembers to turn on the light.

light_small.png
[quote name="DalphiaRose" date=2017-10-14 15:55:01] I suppose my only word on this is that you can not say that you are fluent unless you know more than "Hello" in each language... Had a friend do that, he knew "Hello" and maybe "Thank you" in 6 languages and thought he could claim he knew them all... lol [/quote] One of my exes was like this, except he "learned" maybe 20 languages and claimed he was a linguistic expert and yet....didn't do well enough in any of his five language classes in high school to qualify for a linguistics program at any nearby universities. I took Japanese for three years and Latin for two, but I never really picked up Latin and I lost most of my Japanese. I tried Swedish and then French on Duolingo, but I have a hard time doing things Every Day so I haven't learned anything besides "hello" l o l I want to move to Sweden eventually though so I better pick it back up!!!
DalphiaRose wrote on 2017-10-14:

One of my exes was like this, except he "learned" maybe 20 languages and claimed he was a linguistic expert and yet....didn't do well enough in any of his five language classes in high school to qualify for a linguistics program at any nearby universities.

I took Japanese for three years and Latin for two, but I never really picked up Latin and I lost most of my Japanese. I tried Swedish and then French on Duolingo, but I have a hard time doing things Every Day so I haven't learned anything besides "hello" l o l

I want to move to Sweden eventually though so I better pick it back up!!!
tumblr_nj9kyb0AiI1r28672o8_500.png
i57ulF2.png a
online, but afk
Cal
he/they
FR +0
hi!