Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | I made my first sort-of skin . ..
1 2 3
@BurritoRay

I personally have never made skins/accents (i want to) but I've been on long enough to understand it all!

For holiday skins/accents there is a contest held for people to submit their entries to be chosen as an official skin for the festival. People submit them by posting regular png images of the skin/accent, usually resized to judging proportions (350x350) and hosted on imgur so they can post it. People can photoshop previews onto dragons as examples if they want to. The contest ends a couple days before the festival to allow for judging and the creation of the actual skins/accents.

When people do skin sales, they start by checking if people are interested in the skin. People pre-order and send the payment of gems before the skin/accent is even made. Usually usermade (UM) skins/accents go for about 450-500g. Once enough people pre-order (5-10 people usually), the artist uses the pre-order payments to buy the blueprints (multi-pack) and then distributes the copies after processing to the people who pre-ordered. Each time this happens it's called a "print run".
@BurritoRay

I personally have never made skins/accents (i want to) but I've been on long enough to understand it all!

For holiday skins/accents there is a contest held for people to submit their entries to be chosen as an official skin for the festival. People submit them by posting regular png images of the skin/accent, usually resized to judging proportions (350x350) and hosted on imgur so they can post it. People can photoshop previews onto dragons as examples if they want to. The contest ends a couple days before the festival to allow for judging and the creation of the actual skins/accents.

When people do skin sales, they start by checking if people are interested in the skin. People pre-order and send the payment of gems before the skin/accent is even made. Usually usermade (UM) skins/accents go for about 450-500g. Once enough people pre-order (5-10 people usually), the artist uses the pre-order payments to buy the blueprints (multi-pack) and then distributes the copies after processing to the people who pre-ordered. Each time this happens it's called a "print run".
exl1.pngqAZgY0h.pngLXQ5Ih1.pngwg00sIS.png10FXer7.pngU9lx3R6.pngexl2.pnggEvXGc7.pngStoat-7114-135-0-51-1-140.png
Hex0gCq.png
Woah!!! That's amazing!!
grabs wallet at the speed of light HOWMUCHFORIT
Woah!!! That's amazing!!
grabs wallet at the speed of light HOWMUCHFORIT
HALEY/HATCH!
EST Collector of Robots & Full-time Chatterbox
Let's be friends!
@Burritoray
Might be a good one for the shadow or arcane festival skin competition, you never know :)

Side note: why not make a squid one and make @SquiddyWang happy
@Burritoray
Might be a good one for the shadow or arcane festival skin competition, you never know :)

Side note: why not make a squid one and make @SquiddyWang happy
tumblr_inline_mv3akeJbfn1r9ywrd.png
@BurritoRay Hello! ^-^ That's a very nice skin you've created :0 I'm not a skin-maker or a GASP mod, but I can help! First off, if you can't afford gems, make a post in the [u]Skin/Accent sales for an interest check[/u]. If you know how, ping GASP- this pings all users who have added themselves to a pinglist of sorts. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen when it comes to GASP, so you may want to ask someone else who knows how to do GASP! Preorders: If you can't afford to make the skin yourself, people, if interested, will help fund the skin. For example, you need 10 preorders to afford the skin. This costs 5000 gems, so each person would have to pay 500g. Usually the prices are higher (ex: 550-750g) so the creator can earn profit. [item=Skin Blueprint (10)]
@BurritoRay

Hello! ^-^ That's a very nice skin you've created :0 I'm not a skin-maker or a GASP mod, but I can help!

First off, if you can't afford gems, make a post in the Skin/Accent sales for an interest check. If you know how, ping GASP- this pings all users who have added themselves to a pinglist of sorts. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen when it comes to GASP, so you may want to ask someone else who knows how to do GASP!

Preorders: If you can't afford to make the skin yourself, people, if interested, will help fund the skin.
For example, you need 10 preorders to afford the skin. This costs 5000 gems, so each person would have to pay 500g. Usually the prices are higher (ex: 550-750g) so the creator can earn profit.

Skin Blueprint (10)
0a50f0c310.png
» Physik | FR +2
» Outfits | Scatter
@BurritoRay

Pretty! I love the colors, and the shading looks super cool.

A lot of people who do custom skin sales do a system of preorders where people can put their names on a list to buy the skin in batches of 5. Each person pays the amount of a regular blueprint (or more, depends on whatever the seller's charging), but the blueprints aren't purchased until 5 people have signed up.

When all 5 have their names on the list, the seller pings them to send their first payment installment (sometimes already done as a part of getting your name on the list). Then the seller uses those funds to purchase the bundle of 5 blueprints (thus saving money and making a profit for themselves). The skin is submitted, and possibly resubmitted a couple times until it's accepted by the admins, with the seller updating the buyers throughout that process.

Once the skin is accepted and the 5 copies are returned to the seller, the seller sends them to the 5 buyers. If there are any additional payments to be made the buyers make them at that time (usually if there's a big markup over the price of a blueprint, the rest of the payment that isn't necessary for the purchase of the skin wouldn't be made until the final CR with the skin attached).

If the list of preorders never reaches 5 people, sometimes the seller will give the other buyers the option to collectively cover the last few slots in order to get the skins printed, or - if only one or two people were interested - ask if they're interested in paying for single-print versions of the skin and raise the price a bit more to cover the extra cost of single prints.

That's one possible way to fund skin sales without having to front a bunch of gems yourself.
@BurritoRay

Pretty! I love the colors, and the shading looks super cool.

A lot of people who do custom skin sales do a system of preorders where people can put their names on a list to buy the skin in batches of 5. Each person pays the amount of a regular blueprint (or more, depends on whatever the seller's charging), but the blueprints aren't purchased until 5 people have signed up.

When all 5 have their names on the list, the seller pings them to send their first payment installment (sometimes already done as a part of getting your name on the list). Then the seller uses those funds to purchase the bundle of 5 blueprints (thus saving money and making a profit for themselves). The skin is submitted, and possibly resubmitted a couple times until it's accepted by the admins, with the seller updating the buyers throughout that process.

Once the skin is accepted and the 5 copies are returned to the seller, the seller sends them to the 5 buyers. If there are any additional payments to be made the buyers make them at that time (usually if there's a big markup over the price of a blueprint, the rest of the payment that isn't necessary for the purchase of the skin wouldn't be made until the final CR with the skin attached).

If the list of preorders never reaches 5 people, sometimes the seller will give the other buyers the option to collectively cover the last few slots in order to get the skins printed, or - if only one or two people were interested - ask if they're interested in paying for single-print versions of the skin and raise the price a bit more to cover the extra cost of single prints.

That's one possible way to fund skin sales without having to front a bunch of gems yourself.
[quote name="@BurritoRay" date=2017-08-31 13:56:03] @/Exlann Ohh, just wondering do you know how people make holiday skin previews? (They didn't make the skin with a blueprint yet . . .so how did they get the preview?) [/quote] Are you asking how to people make previews of their accent on dragons before their accent actually exists onsite? You just save your accent as a normal PNG (with transparency) at the final size. Then you go to the Scrying Workshop to generate random dragons and save off the images. Bring those images of the dragons into your art program, and then layer your accent on top of it. [quote name="BurritoRay" date=2017-08-31 13:56:03] Also. how do people do skin sales? How do they afford all those gems? (i will probably never have the money to buy a blue print . . . ) [/quote] If you don't have enough gems to buy the blueprints on your own, you can ask people who are interested in purchasing your accent to help collectively fund your print run. They essentially preorder your accent: you take their payments to buy the blueprints, and then you send them their copy when the accent order comes in. For accents, preorders need to be 350g minimum to cover the cost of a 5-print run. For skins, preorders need to be 750g minimum to cover the cost of a 5-print run. Usually though you want to make a bit of profit, so most accents go for about 400-600g per copy and skins go for +800g per copy.
@BurritoRay wrote on 2017-08-31:
@/Exlann
Ohh, just wondering do you know how people make holiday skin previews? (They didn't make the skin with a blueprint yet . . .so how did they get the preview?)

Are you asking how to people make previews of their accent on dragons before their accent actually exists onsite?

You just save your accent as a normal PNG (with transparency) at the final size. Then you go to the Scrying Workshop to generate random dragons and save off the images. Bring those images of the dragons into your art program, and then layer your accent on top of it.

BurritoRay wrote on 2017-08-31:
Also. how do people do skin sales? How do they afford all those gems? (i will probably never have the money to buy a blue print . . . )

If you don't have enough gems to buy the blueprints on your own, you can ask people who are interested in purchasing your accent to help collectively fund your print run. They essentially preorder your accent: you take their payments to buy the blueprints, and then you send them their copy when the accent order comes in.

For accents, preorders need to be 350g minimum to cover the cost of a 5-print run.
For skins, preorders need to be 750g minimum to cover the cost of a 5-print run.

Usually though you want to make a bit of profit, so most accents go for about 400-600g per copy and skins go for +800g per copy.
YrlvOd9.pngQ47Y0lm.png
@BurritoRay @strawbcream
Yes, indeed, a squid one would make your business go up A LOT. I swear :)))

~~(o_0)~~
@BurritoRay @strawbcream
Yes, indeed, a squid one would make your business go up A LOT. I swear :)))

~~(o_0)~~
me wantie
me wantie
officer, i drop kicked that child in self defense
~
fr +17 • she / her
Woah-- I want a copy once it gets submitted! Would look good as an accent too!
Woah-- I want a copy once it gets submitted! Would look good as an accent too!
18345.png
771.png
icon dragon
deviantart
tumblr
reddit
•pixilator804
» ...located on first page
« Art & Writing
« Art & Writing
« Writing
« Placeholder.
1967.png
@BurritoRay @strawbcream
squids, squids, squids, squids squids squids, squids potato squids squids squids squids, squids, squids, squids squids squids. SQUIDS. Pants, pants, pants, pants pants pants, squids pants PANTS!

~~(o_0)~~ ~~(T.T)~~ ~~(-.-)~~ ~~(:3)~~ ~~(0_o)~~ ~~(?° ?? ?°)~~
@BurritoRay @strawbcream
squids, squids, squids, squids squids squids, squids potato squids squids squids squids, squids, squids, squids squids squids. SQUIDS. Pants, pants, pants, pants pants pants, squids pants PANTS!

~~(o_0)~~ ~~(T.T)~~ ~~(-.-)~~ ~~(:3)~~ ~~(0_o)~~ ~~(?° ?? ?°)~~
1 2 3