Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Diaries Round 12 - Complete!
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 31
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 8 :[/b] Summersby[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28675888] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/286759/28675888.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]At times it is most refreshing to get away from it all and travel to the nesting grounds -- not, I might add, just for the obvious reasons that I, being a gentleman, do not intend to mention. But it can be a breath of fresh air to step away from the Brightwing Clan for awhile and be alone with the lovely woman that is mine. Not that I don’t enjoy the ebb and flow of drama amongst the clan -- in fact I sometimes instigate it myself out of sheer boredom, or because I’ve been hired to do so. But sometimes it all just seems a bit ridiculous and overblown -- such as all the nonsense between Hieroglyph and Romance, Archmages of past and present. So what if one has a different teaching method than the other? It doesn’t seem like anything worth starting a commotion over to me. Then there is Royal’s various shenanigans which, don’t mistake me, working for him is an excellent challenge and I could hardly ask for an employer whose interests are more aligned with my own. But a break every now and then is welcome. I can’t say I understand his current fascination with the Firekeepers -- looking into their affairs was quite the test for my abilities to be sure, but for all their secrecy, the sect doesn’t seem to hold any real power beyond managing the archives. And this whole declaration of Kindle as his “heir” strikes me as absurd. Firekeeper or not, the boy’s a nobody -- just Duchess’ latest servant, and one willing to stoop much lower to please her than I ever deigned. Inviting the pair of them over for tea when Royal made this announcement was comical to say the least. It was as though Royal expected them both to break out into song and dance, but instead received a raised eyebrow from his daughter and a murmured ‘thank you’ from the honoree himself. But in the end, the act advanced Royal’s influence so he was happy… And at this part of the tale (for I was relaying it all to Lacy) she interrupted me to point out, “Summersby… you’re laughing.” “What?” “It’s just … I don’t hear you laugh a lot. I like it.” And she nuzzled my neck. “...Oh.” How does one respond to that sort of observation? “You must be happy,” she said. I reflected on this while drawing a wing around her -- and concluded that yes, in fact, I believe it is true. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] @Digsie Aww Digs thank you... I swear all of your comments either make me blush, make me laugh, or both ;w;
~
~~~
Day 8 : Summersby
28675888.png

At times it is most refreshing to get away from it all and travel to the nesting grounds -- not, I might add, just for the obvious reasons that I, being a gentleman, do not intend to mention. But it can be a breath of fresh air to step away from the Brightwing Clan for awhile and be alone with the lovely woman that is mine.

Not that I don’t enjoy the ebb and flow of drama amongst the clan -- in fact I sometimes instigate it myself out of sheer boredom, or because I’ve been hired to do so. But sometimes it all just seems a bit ridiculous and overblown -- such as all the nonsense between Hieroglyph and Romance, Archmages of past and present. So what if one has a different teaching method than the other? It doesn’t seem like anything worth starting a commotion over to me.

Then there is Royal’s various shenanigans which, don’t mistake me, working for him is an excellent challenge and I could hardly ask for an employer whose interests are more aligned with my own. But a break every now and then is welcome. I can’t say I understand his current fascination with the Firekeepers -- looking into their affairs was quite the test for my abilities to be sure, but for all their secrecy, the sect doesn’t seem to hold any real power beyond managing the archives.

And this whole declaration of Kindle as his “heir” strikes me as absurd. Firekeeper or not, the boy’s a nobody -- just Duchess’ latest servant, and one willing to stoop much lower to please her than I ever deigned. Inviting the pair of them over for tea when Royal made this announcement was comical to say the least. It was as though Royal expected them both to break out into song and dance, but instead received a raised eyebrow from his daughter and a murmured ‘thank you’ from the honoree himself. But in the end, the act advanced Royal’s influence so he was happy…

And at this part of the tale (for I was relaying it all to Lacy) she interrupted me to point out, “Summersby… you’re laughing.”

“What?”
“It’s just … I don’t hear you laugh a lot. I like it.” And she nuzzled my neck.
“...Oh.” How does one respond to that sort of observation?

“You must be happy,” she said.

I reflected on this while drawing a wing around her -- and concluded that yes, in fact, I believe it is true.
~~~
~

@Digsie Aww Digs thank you... I swear all of your comments either make me blush, make me laugh, or both ;w;
TpW6gwi.png
Awww, dangity, how have I missed so many? You´re definitely keeping up the great work. Personally, Arodan is so sweet she makes my teeth hurt so I don´t like her much. But then again, it´s good that you have her because all sorts of characters are needed. I do like Delphia a lot, though. The way she talks, the way she sticks by her master while still sort of caring. She´s a good lass, that one. :D
Awww, dangity, how have I missed so many? You´re definitely keeping up the great work. Personally, Arodan is so sweet she makes my teeth hurt so I don´t like her much. But then again, it´s good that you have her because all sorts of characters are needed. I do like Delphia a lot, though. The way she talks, the way she sticks by her master while still sort of caring. She´s a good lass, that one. :D
WAY TO GO SUMMERSBY!!
tbh I wasn't anticipating much emotion from him for the whole of your series, from his mindset and approach to his life. But distancing himself from what he's been involved with is giving him perspective, and in turn, it is allowing him to see circumstances and happenings for what they really are, and not what he might feel pressured to believe (or what he might feel is safest to believe). I'm really curious where he'll end up another couple rounds from now (if you are to continue them and he is to remain a speaking character). He's such a smart fellow and doesn't let happenings drag him down in his heart of hearts; he's still stayed the same observant and reporting neutral Summersby.

anyway sorry for rambling a bit, you really write and develop your characters well :]
WAY TO GO SUMMERSBY!!
tbh I wasn't anticipating much emotion from him for the whole of your series, from his mindset and approach to his life. But distancing himself from what he's been involved with is giving him perspective, and in turn, it is allowing him to see circumstances and happenings for what they really are, and not what he might feel pressured to believe (or what he might feel is safest to believe). I'm really curious where he'll end up another couple rounds from now (if you are to continue them and he is to remain a speaking character). He's such a smart fellow and doesn't let happenings drag him down in his heart of hearts; he's still stayed the same observant and reporting neutral Summersby.

anyway sorry for rambling a bit, you really write and develop your characters well :]
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 9 :[/b] Veritas[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28379713] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/283798/28379713.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Bit of honesty here. When I first saw all those nasties crowding the land around the academy, doing battle with both the Day and Night Guards across the hillside, my first thought was, heck yes -- now that’s what I’m talking about! Blowin’ up beasties here I come. But then my brother shows up, Mr. Wet Blanket himself, and then it’s all business. “Veritas -- good. I’m trying to cast a binding spell and I could use your contribution.” Binding spell? So much for explosions. “Right, sure -- who’re we casting it on?” Hieroglyph pointed a claw high into the distance, past the hoard of shadow creatures where a thick cloud of purple smoke made it hard to see. I could just make out the large, dark form of an Imperial wearing a heavy red cowl, eyes glowing ominously from beneath. Now there was one bad*ss dragon! Maybe casting a bind on this guy would be a fun challenge. “That Imperial is a Summoner,” my brother explained. “If we trap him in a strong enough binding spell, we should be able to prevent him from doing any more summoning, freeing up our forces to deal with him directly.” I frowned, skeptical. “And what do we do with him after he’s bound?” Hieroglyph shook his head. “That very much depends upon how… cooperative he’s willing to be.” Right. A guy who launches a horde of vile beasts into the clan territory doesn’t strike me as the cooperative type. Maybe I’ll still be able to bring out the explosions after all. While the Guard members cleared a path for us, Hieroglyph and I took wing, making our careful approach toward the big guy on the hill. I could feel that familiar warm tingle of magic crackling to life around me, my will giving it focus. The spell I readied was the same one I used to lock the stones in place to construct the Academy itself -- fitting that now I’d be using the same spell to protect it. I saw a similar glow flare to life around Hieroglyph. He nodded to me, and I prepared to fire it off-- “Stop! Cease in what you are doing and let me through!” It was Romance the Archmage, robes flailing in a wave of red and fuchsia as he charged toward us. “Ignore him,” growled my brother. “Keep going, Veritas. I know what I’m doing.” “You will listen to me if you care about the wellbeing of this clan!” the Archmage insisted. “Binding that dragon will only delay the inevitable. Let me through!” Oh boy -- things just got a heck of a lot messier. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 9 : Veritas
28379713.png

Bit of honesty here. When I first saw all those nasties crowding the land around the academy, doing battle with both the Day and Night Guards across the hillside, my first thought was, heck yes -- now that’s what I’m talking about! Blowin’ up beasties here I come. But then my brother shows up, Mr. Wet Blanket himself, and then it’s all business. “Veritas -- good. I’m trying to cast a binding spell and I could use your contribution.”

Binding spell? So much for explosions. “Right, sure -- who’re we casting it on?”

Hieroglyph pointed a claw high into the distance, past the hoard of shadow creatures where a thick cloud of purple smoke made it hard to see. I could just make out the large, dark form of an Imperial wearing a heavy red cowl, eyes glowing ominously from beneath. Now there was one bad*ss dragon! Maybe casting a bind on this guy would be a fun challenge.

“That Imperial is a Summoner,” my brother explained. “If we trap him in a strong enough binding spell, we should be able to prevent him from doing any more summoning, freeing up our forces to deal with him directly.”

I frowned, skeptical. “And what do we do with him after he’s bound?”

Hieroglyph shook his head. “That very much depends upon how… cooperative he’s willing to be.”

Right. A guy who launches a horde of vile beasts into the clan territory doesn’t strike me as the cooperative type. Maybe I’ll still be able to bring out the explosions after all.

While the Guard members cleared a path for us, Hieroglyph and I took wing, making our careful approach toward the big guy on the hill. I could feel that familiar warm tingle of magic crackling to life around me, my will giving it focus. The spell I readied was the same one I used to lock the stones in place to construct the Academy itself -- fitting that now I’d be using the same spell to protect it. I saw a similar glow flare to life around Hieroglyph. He nodded to me, and I prepared to fire it off--

“Stop! Cease in what you are doing and let me through!” It was Romance the Archmage, robes flailing in a wave of red and fuchsia as he charged toward us.

“Ignore him,” growled my brother. “Keep going, Veritas. I know what I’m doing.”

“You will listen to me if you care about the wellbeing of this clan!” the Archmage insisted. “Binding that dragon will only delay the inevitable. Let me through!”

Oh boy -- things just got a heck of a lot messier.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 10 :[/b] Hieroglyph[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27744496] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/277445/27744496.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]I might have known it. The moment I had everything under control, the Archmage himself has to blaze in and try to take over. “Pray tell,” I said to him, doing my very best to keep my cool, “Why would I turn things over to you, Romance, when this is almost certainly your fault? I’ve warned you several times of the dangers of your teachings, and now? A dangerous summoner emerges from the very walls of your school! Now do get out of the way and let me carry on with my binding spell.” “And what then, Councilman -- Once the Imperial is under your spell’s thrall, what did you plan on doing with him? Restraint is only going to anger him further.” The only thing that grated on me more than the Archmage’s words was the arrogant tone in which he delivered them. As though he would know more than I, a veteran of the clan. “And you would have a better idea?” I challenged him. “Heartreader,” he said. Yes, I knew the spell. “You’re going to determine his desire? That’s your brilliant plan? I’d say his desire is starkly clear -- sheer destruction.” I gestured to the raging battles going on all around us. Even as we spoke, a trio of new spectres materialized onto the hillside, hissing with malice. “Got it!” Veritas shouted, charging at them with a few of those wild concentrated blasts he so enjoys firing off. I flinched away as debris scattered in all directions. “No dragon desires destruction for destruction’s sake,” Romance objected over the noise. “There has to be a driving need within him. Find out what that is, and he can be placated.” I felt like I was arguing with a hatchling who’d just suggested we give the summoner a big hug. “Does one satisfy a raging beast by asking it what it wants? Of course not. What you suggest is folly -- Archmage! Get back here, I’m not--” But Romance had taken advantage of Veritas’ distraction and once again was charging headlong toward the Summoner, a blanket of bright pink magic leaping to life around him, crackling with bright potency. He readied the Heartreader spell, thrust it forward -- And the dark Imperial summoned a new ghast, directly in the spell’s path. As the wave of magic wrapped around the spectre, Romance crumbled immediately, horrified screams rising from his throat. No doubt he was receiving wild, vivid images of the sheer malice that composed the foul thing. I sighed in exasperation. I’m not the type to say I told you so, but... [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 10 : Hieroglyph
27744496.png

I might have known it. The moment I had everything under control, the Archmage himself has to blaze in and try to take over.

“Pray tell,” I said to him, doing my very best to keep my cool, “Why would I turn things over to you, Romance, when this is almost certainly your fault? I’ve warned you several times of the dangers of your teachings, and now? A dangerous summoner emerges from the very walls of your school! Now do get out of the way and let me carry on with my binding spell.”

“And what then, Councilman -- Once the Imperial is under your spell’s thrall, what did you plan on doing with him? Restraint is only going to anger him further.”

The only thing that grated on me more than the Archmage’s words was the arrogant tone in which he delivered them. As though he would know more than I, a veteran of the clan. “And you would have a better idea?” I challenged him.

“Heartreader,” he said.

Yes, I knew the spell. “You’re going to determine his desire? That’s your brilliant plan? I’d say his desire is starkly clear -- sheer destruction.” I gestured to the raging battles going on all around us. Even as we spoke, a trio of new spectres materialized onto the hillside, hissing with malice.

“Got it!” Veritas shouted, charging at them with a few of those wild concentrated blasts he so enjoys firing off. I flinched away as debris scattered in all directions.

“No dragon desires destruction for destruction’s sake,” Romance objected over the noise. “There has to be a driving need within him. Find out what that is, and he can be placated.”

I felt like I was arguing with a hatchling who’d just suggested we give the summoner a big hug. “Does one satisfy a raging beast by asking it what it wants? Of course not. What you suggest is folly -- Archmage! Get back here, I’m not--”

But Romance had taken advantage of Veritas’ distraction and once again was charging headlong toward the Summoner, a blanket of bright pink magic leaping to life around him, crackling with bright potency. He readied the Heartreader spell, thrust it forward --

And the dark Imperial summoned a new ghast, directly in the spell’s path. As the wave of magic wrapped around the spectre, Romance crumbled immediately, horrified screams rising from his throat. No doubt he was receiving wild, vivid images of the sheer malice that composed the foul thing.

I sighed in exasperation. I’m not the type to say I told you so, but...
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
@OneWing STOP WRITING SO FAST |D this round has been a good one and i still ache from how sweet arodan's entry was. But hot diddly dang am i excited for the last two entries of this round.
@OneWing STOP WRITING SO FAST |D this round has been a good one and i still ache from how sweet arodan's entry was. But hot diddly dang am i excited for the last two entries of this round.
tumblr_nqyzrfjqhw1uzc8vbo5_500.png
Seconded about writing that fast. I mean, I don´t even know how I manage to miss a new one time and again in this round. X´D

This all sounds to me like Hieroglyph and Romance should have worked together instead of arguing like hatchlings. Bind Nosferatu first so he can´t do anything, then throw the Heartreader on him to solve stuff more permanently. Now? Hieroglyph is all smug but I wonder how long it´ll last. And if Romance can pull himself together. The drake is dangerous, but right now I almost feel sorry for him. I don´t even want to know what those summons wants, but if it is sheer violence... well, ouch. Maybe the big guys will have to let the girls show them how stuff´s done. *roots for Delphi*

Oh, and I´ve almost forgotten. Big kudos to Intrigue for actually not getting eaten first. I´ve totally expected that. XD Maybe he even knows what he´s doing...
Seconded about writing that fast. I mean, I don´t even know how I manage to miss a new one time and again in this round. X´D

This all sounds to me like Hieroglyph and Romance should have worked together instead of arguing like hatchlings. Bind Nosferatu first so he can´t do anything, then throw the Heartreader on him to solve stuff more permanently. Now? Hieroglyph is all smug but I wonder how long it´ll last. And if Romance can pull himself together. The drake is dangerous, but right now I almost feel sorry for him. I don´t even want to know what those summons wants, but if it is sheer violence... well, ouch. Maybe the big guys will have to let the girls show them how stuff´s done. *roots for Delphi*

Oh, and I´ve almost forgotten. Big kudos to Intrigue for actually not getting eaten first. I´ve totally expected that. XD Maybe he even knows what he´s doing...
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 11 :[/b] Nosferatu[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33434346] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/334344/33434346.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Pain. Cold. Death. All of my creatures have their own name. I utter their names in my mind and they leap out from within me, take shape upon the earth. For a moment, I am freed from their torment -- but only for a moment, and then it is back again, again, again. That pink Imperial, writhing on the ground. I see him and know: he has had a taste of one of my creatures, he has seen its mind. That one’s name was Neglect -- the bitter stinging feeling that not a single solitary dragon in the world cares about you. Suddenly something is different. I can feel a force wrapping itself around my limbs, my body, binding me. My link with my creatures is lost; they must remain trapped inside of me now. In my mind I am confined in that basement again, dark, dark, dark, nothing but stone walls and hateful chains. I flail against its hold, but the magic is too strong. No - I won’t go back! You can’t take me there again! “Well done,” says a voice. A Nocturne, purple, dressed in robes, looking at me the way the Master looked at me: as his project. “We have him now, Veritas.” The pink Imperial has stopped writhing. He speaks: “Hieroglyph. Please -- let me try the Heartreader spell one last time. It only missed its target before… I still believe it can help…” The Nocturne sighs: “Do it.” The Imperial rises. He’s glowing, every part of him, his soul glowing, vivid pink. The magic leaps out, blankets me, curtains me, reads me. It knows. It knows everything. The Imperial’s eyes gleam. “I see. Oh, I see. It’s so obvious. His desires are so basic, so intrinsic to every dragon, and yet he aches for them like a distant dream.” “What does he want?” The Imperial looks excited now. “Comfort. Warmth. A life of purpose. All the things essential to contentment.” “And you have a plan for giving him these things?” “‘Scuse me.” A new voice. Another Nocturne. This one I knew. She watched me. She was the one to give me a name: Nosferatu. Something all my own. “Might be I could assist you somewhat?” she asked. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] @Morigan - Think you might be onto me... <.< Funny that you mention that about Intrigue because actually when I was writing Delphia's entry, at first I had included a part where Intrigue was describing how he almost had his wing ripped off by Nosferatu's summons when he set him loose. I cut it for length (I try to keep these around 400 words) but it's funny that you mention that, hehe~ Anyhow, the last entry is tomorrow just in time for Brightshine Jubilee!
~
~~~
Day 11 : Nosferatu
33434346.png
Pain. Cold. Death.

All of my creatures have their own name. I utter their names in my mind and they leap out from within me, take shape upon the earth. For a moment, I am freed from their torment -- but only for a moment, and then it is back again, again, again. That pink Imperial, writhing on the ground. I see him and know: he has had a taste of one of my creatures, he has seen its mind. That one’s name was Neglect -- the bitter stinging feeling that not a single solitary dragon in the world cares about you.

Suddenly something is different. I can feel a force wrapping itself around my limbs, my body, binding me. My link with my creatures is lost; they must remain trapped inside of me now. In my mind I am confined in that basement again, dark, dark, dark, nothing but stone walls and hateful chains. I flail against its hold, but the magic is too strong. No - I won’t go back! You can’t take me there again!

“Well done,” says a voice. A Nocturne, purple, dressed in robes, looking at me the way the Master looked at me: as his project. “We have him now, Veritas.”

The pink Imperial has stopped writhing. He speaks: “Hieroglyph. Please -- let me try the Heartreader spell one last time. It only missed its target before… I still believe it can help…”
The Nocturne sighs: “Do it.”

The Imperial rises. He’s glowing, every part of him, his soul glowing, vivid pink. The magic leaps out, blankets me, curtains me, reads me. It knows. It knows everything. The Imperial’s eyes gleam. “I see. Oh, I see. It’s so obvious. His desires are so basic, so intrinsic to every dragon, and yet he aches for them like a distant dream.”

“What does he want?”
The Imperial looks excited now. “Comfort. Warmth. A life of purpose. All the things essential to contentment.”

“And you have a plan for giving him these things?”

“‘Scuse me.” A new voice. Another Nocturne. This one I knew. She watched me. She was the one to give me a name: Nosferatu. Something all my own.
“Might be I could assist you somewhat?” she asked.
~~~
~

@Morigan - Think you might be onto me... <.< Funny that you mention that about Intrigue because actually when I was writing Delphia's entry, at first I had included a part where Intrigue was describing how he almost had his wing ripped off by Nosferatu's summons when he set him loose. I cut it for length (I try to keep these around 400 words) but it's funny that you mention that, hehe~

Anyhow, the last entry is tomorrow just in time for Brightshine Jubilee!
TpW6gwi.png
Tee-hee. I´m glad I´ve gotten it right, Delphi is awesome. :D And that is funny about Intrigue. I think it fits better his way, though. Intrigue doesn´t strike me as the type that´d admit something like that out loud.

Also, it´s pretty funny to me that you´ve chosen Neglect to be the summon Romance caught in that first try because it sounds like it may be the worst one he could have gotten. I mean Romance, he isn´t used to being ignored, is he? Not even a tiny little bit.
Tee-hee. I´m glad I´ve gotten it right, Delphi is awesome. :D And that is funny about Intrigue. I think it fits better his way, though. Intrigue doesn´t strike me as the type that´d admit something like that out loud.

Also, it´s pretty funny to me that you´ve chosen Neglect to be the summon Romance caught in that first try because it sounds like it may be the worst one he could have gotten. I mean Romance, he isn´t used to being ignored, is he? Not even a tiny little bit.
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 12 :[/b] Romance[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32464182] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/324642/32464182.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]In the end, it was neither Hieroglyph’s efforts nor mine that placated the raging summoner, but the meek Delphia. The beauty of it was enough to make me shudder -- watching her flit forward to him, offering humble apologies: that she hadn’t stepped in, that she hadn’t stopped Intrigue when his experimenting went too far. She reached out and touched Nosferatu’s shoulder, speaking words of simple invitation: to take him home, a real home. Relief filtered through me like a breeze. I knew we were witnessing the end. And yet there was unfinished business that I had to see to. I turned to regard the Nocturne beside me: my hated rival, the one who opposed me at every turn. But something had altered inside me: perhaps after being subjected to the horrors reading the creature’s empty heart when my spell went awry, or seeing such basic longing within Nosferatu’s own heart. But in this new light I viewed Hieroglyph and recognized what must be said. “You know, you were right about one thing,” I confided to him. “When you said my teaching was to blame for all this. Not that I take back anything I’ve said -- I still stand behind every word. But I see now what I had failed to convey to my colleague, Intrigue: that this world already has sorrows and trials aplenty, that there is no reason to manufacture these things needlessly. And for that you have my apologies.” He hesitated for a moment. “I suppose you were not wrong about everything, either,” the Nocturne finally allowed. “I hadn’t believed you when you said fulfilling the summoner’s needs would be enough to bring him into balance. It seemed too simple.” “Nothing is simple about desire,” I said gently. “And even now, I don’t think Nosferatu will ever quite be normal. But then again… Love does have a way of transforming a dragon, hm?” I smiled toward Delphia and Nosferatu as she guided him down the hillside. “Love? You think that’s what that is?” asked Hieroglyph -- sounding genuinely curious for once. “Oh, I know love when I see it. Speaking of…” I drew in a slow breath, letting it out carefully. “You know, Nosferatu isn’t the only one being transformed by his feelings. Duchess is changing, too. She’s trying very hard to shed the dragon she once was, to become something stronger. I have a feeling that when she completes her metamorphosis, she will be something very spectacular indeed.” I allowed a soft grin to leak from my jaw. “Just something I thought I would mention. A good day to you, Hieroglyph.” And with that I left him, to stew over all that had transpired. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] Well that was a fun round to write! I hope you all have enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together ^___^ Though I don't know why the random number generator always keeps picking Romance last - I guess it knows he likes to get the last word ;) Anyway, happy Brightshine everybody! (I've already gone nuts buying all the beautiful accents, I feel like half of my dragons look like they've ascended to godhood now ;w; omg Veritas I can't even) I'll definitely bring another round sometime. I can't promise it will be soon (this one was kind of already brewing in my head when I finished the last one), but then again, these dragons keep on inspiring me so you never know! Thanks again for reading and commenting, your words are shining lights to me :)
~
~~~
Day 12 : Romance
32464182.png
In the end, it was neither Hieroglyph’s efforts nor mine that placated the raging summoner, but the meek Delphia. The beauty of it was enough to make me shudder -- watching her flit forward to him, offering humble apologies: that she hadn’t stepped in, that she hadn’t stopped Intrigue when his experimenting went too far. She reached out and touched Nosferatu’s shoulder, speaking words of simple invitation: to take him home, a real home. Relief filtered through me like a breeze. I knew we were witnessing the end.

And yet there was unfinished business that I had to see to. I turned to regard the Nocturne beside me: my hated rival, the one who opposed me at every turn. But something had altered inside me: perhaps after being subjected to the horrors reading the creature’s empty heart when my spell went awry, or seeing such basic longing within Nosferatu’s own heart. But in this new light I viewed Hieroglyph and recognized what must be said.

“You know, you were right about one thing,” I confided to him. “When you said my teaching was to blame for all this. Not that I take back anything I’ve said -- I still stand behind every word. But I see now what I had failed to convey to my colleague, Intrigue: that this world already has sorrows and trials aplenty, that there is no reason to manufacture these things needlessly. And for that you have my apologies.”

He hesitated for a moment. “I suppose you were not wrong about everything, either,” the Nocturne finally allowed. “I hadn’t believed you when you said fulfilling the summoner’s needs would be enough to bring him into balance. It seemed too simple.”

“Nothing is simple about desire,” I said gently. “And even now, I don’t think Nosferatu will ever quite be normal. But then again… Love does have a way of transforming a dragon, hm?” I smiled toward Delphia and Nosferatu as she guided him down the hillside.

“Love? You think that’s what that is?” asked Hieroglyph -- sounding genuinely curious for once.

“Oh, I know love when I see it. Speaking of…” I drew in a slow breath, letting it out carefully. “You know, Nosferatu isn’t the only one being transformed by his feelings. Duchess is changing, too. She’s trying very hard to shed the dragon she once was, to become something stronger. I have a feeling that when she completes her metamorphosis, she will be something very spectacular indeed.” I allowed a soft grin to leak from my jaw. “Just something I thought I would mention. A good day to you, Hieroglyph.”

And with that I left him, to stew over all that had transpired.
~~~
~

Well that was a fun round to write! I hope you all have enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together ^___^ Though I don't know why the random number generator always keeps picking Romance last - I guess it knows he likes to get the last word ;)

Anyway, happy Brightshine everybody! (I've already gone nuts buying all the beautiful accents, I feel like half of my dragons look like they've ascended to godhood now ;w; omg Veritas I can't even)

I'll definitely bring another round sometime. I can't promise it will be soon (this one was kind of already brewing in my head when I finished the last one), but then again, these dragons keep on inspiring me so you never know! Thanks again for reading and commenting, your words are shining lights to me :)
TpW6gwi.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 30 31