Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [1x1] Where our story begins.
1 2
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/0lJQlAr.png[/img][/center] Fortune did not smile upon him, as Pasque's memory returned in a flashed. Josurr smiled what was more of a grimace, though before he could reply, Pasque was darting down the corridor towards the looming doors that marked entry into the Afternoon Court. "[b]Pasque![/b]" he shouted after him, feeling abruptly responsible for the young fae despite having met him moments ago. He would have been ashamed to be associated with Pasque in front of anyone important, though on the other hand he didn't trust the flora to not run headlong into danger — as he was surely doing now. The Afternoon Court had not been very welcoming when he'd come by three days prior, and had brushed aside his issues and set him up in one of the guest rooms to rot. "[b]They could already be gone![/b]" he tried to remind the other fae as he gait slipped into a half-jog to pursue him. With any good luck they would be, though Josurr severely doubted either of them would even be granted audience with the Afternoon King. There was no way Pasque could wiggle his way into the Afternoon King's chambers, and this little adventure would meet its end at a guard. Josurr felt silent as they stepped into the Afternoon Court. It was intimidating, particularly compared to the serenity of the Morning Court. This was how he would have pictured the Four Courts to be designed: showy and excessive. Everything was decorated in antler designs lest anyone forget who ruled over the Afternoon Court. Josurr had never seen Goldhorn in the flesh, but everything he knew about him thus far screamed that he must have antlers. The fauna was quietly stepping after Pasque as the other fae strode right on up to the guards and asked them in a dear voice if they could have a pass. Josurr colored, looking else where and leaving space between him and Pasque, acting best as he could to not be associated with the flora. However one of the guards spoke in a gentle timbre and Josurr's head snapped back as he [i]bowed[/i], addressing Pasque as [i]sir[/i]. The fauna's lips parted in shock. No one would even think of referring to him this way, and while it was clearing up that Pasque wasn't a baseborn, his parental couldn't possibly be as impressive as [i]his[/i]. Josurr muffled his shock beneath a light laugh, jerking as Pasque patted his shoulder. "[b][i]Sir?[/i][/b]" he murmured as they walked inside, doing his best to iron out the jealousy in his voice and try to sound playful. Pasque bravely asked an attendant where to find a license signer, and as they'd gotten this far, it was little surprise that the attendant simply waved them towards the majestic middle door. He followed Pasque within in the room, beginning to feel the pinpricks of fear as the door closed behind them. They shouldn't be here. This was very, very bad. Josurr's heart pounded and he crossed his arms tightly across his chest. There were muffled voices coming from one of the rooms, and dread poured through him as Pasque made a beeline for it. As Pasque's hand hit the door Josurr jolted. They couldn't be doing this. "[b]Pasque—[/b]" he started, the word frantic and trembling, though the flora fae poked his head right on inside. Josurr could barely look, but he had no choice but the follow. He gripped his sleeves though his fingers trembled regardless. The vision pulled his confidence beneath him and he felt so nauseous he might have hurled, if only that wasn't the one thing that would make the situation even worse. Standing in the room was Goldhorn, of course, dressed in gold with giant antlers branching from his temples. His face was pinched into an expression of fury and Josurr was certain there was no worse time they could have intruded. The fauna's face was paler than usual and he felt so small, so far away from home — which is what he had wanted, but not like this. He could barely look at the fae beside Goldhorn, his pale eyes lighting over the Night King before immediately looking away. Blackthorn looked exactly as he had always known. Imposing and terrible, the picture of an Unseelie, some sort of yawning open splitting his throat. His white eyes were the only familiarity about him and Josurr dug his nails into his sleeve, staring pointedly at Goldhorn's shoulder — a safe place to look. "[b]I will [i]not[/i] be hasty—[/b]" Goldhorn's voice attempted to roar over Blackthorn's, though bit his tongue as a thicket of brambles overtook the Night King's body. As Blackthorn vanished, Goldhorn snarled, his head whipping towards Pasque and Josurr. Josurr managed to lift his gaze to stare into the King's golden irises, though his mind was utterly blank. Blackthorn had been here and then gone, and the overwhelming nature of his presence made Josurr want to be alone and collapse. Now that they were here, there was no going back, despite how little Josurr cared about that damned certificate any longer. Goldhorn regarded him for scarcely a moment before his eyes flashed to Pasque. "[b]Hawthorn's child,[/b]" he stated tersely, brow still furrowed and nose wrinkled in latent fury. The King's shoulders lifted in a sigh and he exhaled slowly. "[b]What do you need?[/b]"
0lJQlAr.png

Fortune did not smile upon him, as Pasque's memory returned in a flashed. Josurr smiled what was more of a grimace, though before he could reply, Pasque was darting down the corridor towards the looming doors that marked entry into the Afternoon Court. "Pasque!" he shouted after him, feeling abruptly responsible for the young fae despite having met him moments ago. He would have been ashamed to be associated with Pasque in front of anyone important, though on the other hand he didn't trust the flora to not run headlong into danger — as he was surely doing now. The Afternoon Court had not been very welcoming when he'd come by three days prior, and had brushed aside his issues and set him up in one of the guest rooms to rot.

"They could already be gone!" he tried to remind the other fae as he gait slipped into a half-jog to pursue him. With any good luck they would be, though Josurr severely doubted either of them would even be granted audience with the Afternoon King. There was no way Pasque could wiggle his way into the Afternoon King's chambers, and this little adventure would meet its end at a guard.

Josurr felt silent as they stepped into the Afternoon Court. It was intimidating, particularly compared to the serenity of the Morning Court. This was how he would have pictured the Four Courts to be designed: showy and excessive. Everything was decorated in antler designs lest anyone forget who ruled over the Afternoon Court. Josurr had never seen Goldhorn in the flesh, but everything he knew about him thus far screamed that he must have antlers. The fauna was quietly stepping after Pasque as the other fae strode right on up to the guards and asked them in a dear voice if they could have a pass. Josurr colored, looking else where and leaving space between him and Pasque, acting best as he could to not be associated with the flora. However one of the guards spoke in a gentle timbre and Josurr's head snapped back as he bowed, addressing Pasque as sir. The fauna's lips parted in shock. No one would even think of referring to him this way, and while it was clearing up that Pasque wasn't a baseborn, his parental couldn't possibly be as impressive as his. Josurr muffled his shock beneath a light laugh, jerking as Pasque patted his shoulder.

"Sir?" he murmured as they walked inside, doing his best to iron out the jealousy in his voice and try to sound playful. Pasque bravely asked an attendant where to find a license signer, and as they'd gotten this far, it was little surprise that the attendant simply waved them towards the majestic middle door. He followed Pasque within in the room, beginning to feel the pinpricks of fear as the door closed behind them. They shouldn't be here. This was very, very bad. Josurr's heart pounded and he crossed his arms tightly across his chest. There were muffled voices coming from one of the rooms, and dread poured through him as Pasque made a beeline for it. As Pasque's hand hit the door Josurr jolted. They couldn't be doing this. "Pasque—" he started, the word frantic and trembling, though the flora fae poked his head right on inside.

Josurr could barely look, but he had no choice but the follow. He gripped his sleeves though his fingers trembled regardless. The vision pulled his confidence beneath him and he felt so nauseous he might have hurled, if only that wasn't the one thing that would make the situation even worse. Standing in the room was Goldhorn, of course, dressed in gold with giant antlers branching from his temples. His face was pinched into an expression of fury and Josurr was certain there was no worse time they could have intruded. The fauna's face was paler than usual and he felt so small, so far away from home — which is what he had wanted, but not like this.

He could barely look at the fae beside Goldhorn, his pale eyes lighting over the Night King before immediately looking away. Blackthorn looked exactly as he had always known. Imposing and terrible, the picture of an Unseelie, some sort of yawning open splitting his throat. His white eyes were the only familiarity about him and Josurr dug his nails into his sleeve, staring pointedly at Goldhorn's shoulder — a safe place to look.

"I will not be hasty—" Goldhorn's voice attempted to roar over Blackthorn's, though bit his tongue as a thicket of brambles overtook the Night King's body. As Blackthorn vanished, Goldhorn snarled, his head whipping towards Pasque and Josurr. Josurr managed to lift his gaze to stare into the King's golden irises, though his mind was utterly blank. Blackthorn had been here and then gone, and the overwhelming nature of his presence made Josurr want to be alone and collapse.

Now that they were here, there was no going back, despite how little Josurr cared about that damned certificate any longer. Goldhorn regarded him for scarcely a moment before his eyes flashed to Pasque. "Hawthorn's child," he stated tersely, brow still furrowed and nose wrinkled in latent fury. The King's shoulders lifted in a sigh and he exhaled slowly. "What do you need?"
tumblr_nsbymv570v1tcuk4xo1_250.gif
5BsilZ9.png5iXiC8z.pngmlHpBMC.png
The stress was obvious by the lines around the dark eyes, and the way the shoulders seemed to be weighed down with a heavy force. Yeah, the rack of antlers and the broad stance gave a certain look that not many could replicate, but it was obvious the individual was straining.

He stepped forward, to ask if the man was alright, when a small voice whispered from the corner of the room. "Are you alright?" A man leaned against the door frame of a door leading into the chamber from the far side. His hair was flaxen, between the hue of sunrays on a winter morning, and the warm light of the moon on an autumn night. His frame was slight. Where Yellowantlers was broad and filled to the brim with muscles, this man was a carefully constructed arrangement of bones.

His eyes rested on him and they curled briefly into a weak smile, though his lips did not widen, "You must be Pasque. It's truly a delight to meet you, I'm sorry to have met you in these circumstances. Would you mind if we spoke in private?" There was an emptiness that struck Pasque into his bones. It wasn't the sort that he saw in Greyclaw's eyes whenever mentioned of his father passed. It wasn't the sort that Cassio would give on a daily basis. No, it was deeper. Like a void that drew you in and consumed everything. He broke the gaze and bowed.

"Sure. No problem. We'll be in the room next door." He spun around and pushed Josurr out of the room, shutting it behind him with a low breathe.

He ushered Josurr to one of the chairs and shivered again. "Did you see? Did you see his eyes? They were so …. Empty." His shook his head. "It wasn't right. What was that?" It was like staring into an abyss. A white abyss.

"You know, I did notice that your eyes kind of looked like that other guy, the one with the weird throat going on. You aren't related by any chance, are you?" He turned to Josurr and examined his eyes again. Yes. The same sort of white color. Different than the flaxen haired one. They were still full of… life.
The stress was obvious by the lines around the dark eyes, and the way the shoulders seemed to be weighed down with a heavy force. Yeah, the rack of antlers and the broad stance gave a certain look that not many could replicate, but it was obvious the individual was straining.

He stepped forward, to ask if the man was alright, when a small voice whispered from the corner of the room. "Are you alright?" A man leaned against the door frame of a door leading into the chamber from the far side. His hair was flaxen, between the hue of sunrays on a winter morning, and the warm light of the moon on an autumn night. His frame was slight. Where Yellowantlers was broad and filled to the brim with muscles, this man was a carefully constructed arrangement of bones.

His eyes rested on him and they curled briefly into a weak smile, though his lips did not widen, "You must be Pasque. It's truly a delight to meet you, I'm sorry to have met you in these circumstances. Would you mind if we spoke in private?" There was an emptiness that struck Pasque into his bones. It wasn't the sort that he saw in Greyclaw's eyes whenever mentioned of his father passed. It wasn't the sort that Cassio would give on a daily basis. No, it was deeper. Like a void that drew you in and consumed everything. He broke the gaze and bowed.

"Sure. No problem. We'll be in the room next door." He spun around and pushed Josurr out of the room, shutting it behind him with a low breathe.

He ushered Josurr to one of the chairs and shivered again. "Did you see? Did you see his eyes? They were so …. Empty." His shook his head. "It wasn't right. What was that?" It was like staring into an abyss. A white abyss.

"You know, I did notice that your eyes kind of looked like that other guy, the one with the weird throat going on. You aren't related by any chance, are you?" He turned to Josurr and examined his eyes again. Yes. The same sort of white color. Different than the flaxen haired one. They were still full of… life.
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/0lJQlAr.png[/img][/center] Goldhorn's words echoed through him and Josurr turned his head expectantly to Pasque, his plain face screwed up in confusion. Hawthorn — the Morning King. Josurr didn't have a face to fit the name, but he knew of Hawthorn's reputation. He was the spineless King, the one who had originally served in the Seelie Court opposite of Blackthorn and had been subjected to the Nightmare's domination. The name didn't leave a good taste in Josurr's mouth and he didn't have much innate respect for Hawthorn. But still, Pasque being his [i]son[/i] was a shocking enough revelation, and it settled uncomfortably on top of glimpsing Blackthorn for the first time. Josurr typically found his energy in flitting between social groups, but abruptly he was drained, at a loss for words for once. A soft voice made him jump; he hadn't even noticed the fae breach the room, his frame was so small and his presence so delicate. The new fae was rather simple in his physique though he most certainly wasn't a servant. Goldhorn's irritation had been swept away the moment the flora fae had spoken, replaced by a look of longing. "[b]Rowan,[/b]" the King murmured, and the way his throat tightened as he did so made Josurr want to bolt immediately. They were intruding upon something very severe, something which they never should have walked into. Rowan addressed Pasque but not himself, a fact which normally would have stung, though Josurr had grown so anxious he scarcely minded. The flora fae's voice was a leaf in the wind, so hollow that it made Josurr wary. He wanted to know nothing about him. All he wanted was for him to go away and to be out of Goldhorn's presence. Not even the Afternoon guest rooms were feeling safe right now, and Josurr was beginning to wonder if he would have really appreciated the Courts after all. Fortunately Rowan seemed to recognize the horribleness of the situation and bid them to leave. Relief flooded Josurr and he hastened to bow after Pasque did so, rising as the flora fae turned to shove him out the door. Back out in the room, he felt like he could breath again, but only marginally. Josurr gladly sunk down in the chair Pasque had directed him to and he stared distantly past the other fae. Pasque was prattling about the odd fae Rowan, to which Josurr could only give a numb shrug. "[b]I... don't know,[/b]" he replied, before remembering that he was supposed to be some sort of medic. Josurr shook himself back to the present, away from his thoughts of Blackthorn. "[b]It's nothing like I've seen before. He's just... lifeless.[/b]" It truly wasn't anything he'd even glimpsed before, or hoped to see again. Everything about the scene they'd observed unnerved him; it was too much to take in. As soon as Pasque mentioned [i]that other guy[/i] Josurr jerked. "[b]The Night King?[/b]" Josurr asked sharply. He forced a shaky grin to his face, resting his chin on his hand. "[b]Not all fae with white eyes are related, Pasque,[/b]" the fauna teased, though beneath his words his heart clambered. It was impossible for him to know. The flora fae had asked with such strange certainty; no one else would have ever made the connection that their white eyes linked them, as it was strange to group progeny based on physical features. He hardly looked anything like Blackfeather, or anything like Blackthorn save for the coincidence of the eyes. Of course, he wasn't the one who should have been defensive about his parentage. "[b]What about you?[/b]" Josurr prompted, flashing Pasque a look. "[b][i]Hawthorn's child[/i], [i]Sir[/i]... were you planning on mentioning you're what... a prince?[/b]" Even saying the word caused the seed of jealousy to sprout within him. The fact that the guards and Goldhorn and the fae Rowan had known who he was meant that Hawthorn had claimed him in some way. How fortunate. [center]~[/center] He had reached the end of his rope in dealing with Blackthorn, and they had not even embarked yet. If it was not for the Unseelie's expertise, Goldhorn would have refused to tolerate his company; Blackthorn had never cared for Rowan, and were it not for his influence they never would have been in this scenario. It was still difficult to swallow that he had lended to Rowan's deterioration as well. The fact would hit him whenever he was left alone with his thoughts and it was crippling. He would have never hurt Rowan. He was his protector, his guardian. It was Blackthorn who had corrupted them, and the Nightmare King had no stake in whether Rowan lived or died. He would let Rowan fade just to watch Goldhorn crumble, the fae was certain of it. On top of that Hawthorn's spawn had picked the most inopportune time to bother him. Rowan, who was beloved by the attendants, had told him Hawthorn had taken his child to Court — a handsome young flora, though Goldhorn had promptly ceased to care after that. He was accompanied by an attendant or serving boy or some sort who was entirely inconsequential. Only for Hawthorn would Goldhorn had attempted to tame his temper to cope with whatever it was the boy needed from him, but Rowan's soft voice had stolen all of his rage from him. The children forgotten, Goldhorn's eyes had locked upon his Counter's delicate body, so different from how he remembered Rowan in his mind. How many years he had taken Rowan's voice for granted, never realizing it was the most beautiful sound he knew. A world without it felt hollow, impossible — it was not a possibility Goldhorn was willing to let himself admit, though the longer Rowan lapsed into unconsciousness, the more the reality choked him. "[b]Rowan,[/b]" he breathed, stepping to the flora fae. Rowan, so sweet and so diplomatic even with the few breaths he had, dismissed the pair of boys from the room. Goldhorn didn't watch them go, instead reaching out to cup Rowan's cheek, gazing into the other fae's eyes. The infinite whiteness now seemed blank staring back at him. "[b]I didn't want to wake you,[/b]" he said softly. Blackthorn had been badgering him to go, but the thought of leaving without bidding Rowan farewell terrified Goldhorn. It wouldn't happen — he wouldn't let it — but the idea he could come back and Rowan would never wake up haunted him. He drifted his hand to the back of Rowan's head, delicately pulling it closer to him to press a kiss to his forehead. "[b]I will be leaving with Blackthorn soon,[/b]" he murmured after allowing the kiss to linger. Rowan's pith was not there to calm the anxiety that tore at his stomach, though Goldhorn wasn't sure if it would have helped regardless. "[b]I don't know how long we'll be gone,[/b]" he said, his throat tightening again. His words were a rasp, the emotion scraping him raw. "[b]But there will not be a moment I don't think of you.[/b]" It was pointless to ask Rowan to hang on, but the silent plea lingered beneath the surface. He only needed a little more time, a little more to fight for what he hadn't before.
0lJQlAr.png

Goldhorn's words echoed through him and Josurr turned his head expectantly to Pasque, his plain face screwed up in confusion. Hawthorn — the Morning King. Josurr didn't have a face to fit the name, but he knew of Hawthorn's reputation. He was the spineless King, the one who had originally served in the Seelie Court opposite of Blackthorn and had been subjected to the Nightmare's domination. The name didn't leave a good taste in Josurr's mouth and he didn't have much innate respect for Hawthorn. But still, Pasque being his son was a shocking enough revelation, and it settled uncomfortably on top of glimpsing Blackthorn for the first time. Josurr typically found his energy in flitting between social groups, but abruptly he was drained, at a loss for words for once.

A soft voice made him jump; he hadn't even noticed the fae breach the room, his frame was so small and his presence so delicate. The new fae was rather simple in his physique though he most certainly wasn't a servant. Goldhorn's irritation had been swept away the moment the flora fae had spoken, replaced by a look of longing.

"Rowan," the King murmured, and the way his throat tightened as he did so made Josurr want to bolt immediately. They were intruding upon something very severe, something which they never should have walked into.

Rowan addressed Pasque but not himself, a fact which normally would have stung, though Josurr had grown so anxious he scarcely minded. The flora fae's voice was a leaf in the wind, so hollow that it made Josurr wary. He wanted to know nothing about him. All he wanted was for him to go away and to be out of Goldhorn's presence. Not even the Afternoon guest rooms were feeling safe right now, and Josurr was beginning to wonder if he would have really appreciated the Courts after all. Fortunately Rowan seemed to recognize the horribleness of the situation and bid them to leave. Relief flooded Josurr and he hastened to bow after Pasque did so, rising as the flora fae turned to shove him out the door.

Back out in the room, he felt like he could breath again, but only marginally. Josurr gladly sunk down in the chair Pasque had directed him to and he stared distantly past the other fae. Pasque was prattling about the odd fae Rowan, to which Josurr could only give a numb shrug. "I... don't know," he replied, before remembering that he was supposed to be some sort of medic. Josurr shook himself back to the present, away from his thoughts of Blackthorn. "It's nothing like I've seen before. He's just... lifeless." It truly wasn't anything he'd even glimpsed before, or hoped to see again. Everything about the scene they'd observed unnerved him; it was too much to take in.

As soon as Pasque mentioned that other guy Josurr jerked. "The Night King?" Josurr asked sharply. He forced a shaky grin to his face, resting his chin on his hand. "Not all fae with white eyes are related, Pasque," the fauna teased, though beneath his words his heart clambered. It was impossible for him to know. The flora fae had asked with such strange certainty; no one else would have ever made the connection that their white eyes linked them, as it was strange to group progeny based on physical features. He hardly looked anything like Blackfeather, or anything like Blackthorn save for the coincidence of the eyes. Of course, he wasn't the one who should have been defensive about his parentage. "What about you?" Josurr prompted, flashing Pasque a look. "Hawthorn's child, Sir... were you planning on mentioning you're what... a prince?" Even saying the word caused the seed of jealousy to sprout within him. The fact that the guards and Goldhorn and the fae Rowan had known who he was meant that Hawthorn had claimed him in some way. How fortunate.
~

He had reached the end of his rope in dealing with Blackthorn, and they had not even embarked yet. If it was not for the Unseelie's expertise, Goldhorn would have refused to tolerate his company; Blackthorn had never cared for Rowan, and were it not for his influence they never would have been in this scenario. It was still difficult to swallow that he had lended to Rowan's deterioration as well. The fact would hit him whenever he was left alone with his thoughts and it was crippling. He would have never hurt Rowan. He was his protector, his guardian. It was Blackthorn who had corrupted them, and the Nightmare King had no stake in whether Rowan lived or died. He would let Rowan fade just to watch Goldhorn crumble, the fae was certain of it.

On top of that Hawthorn's spawn had picked the most inopportune time to bother him. Rowan, who was beloved by the attendants, had told him Hawthorn had taken his child to Court — a handsome young flora, though Goldhorn had promptly ceased to care after that. He was accompanied by an attendant or serving boy or some sort who was entirely inconsequential. Only for Hawthorn would Goldhorn had attempted to tame his temper to cope with whatever it was the boy needed from him, but Rowan's soft voice had stolen all of his rage from him. The children forgotten, Goldhorn's eyes had locked upon his Counter's delicate body, so different from how he remembered Rowan in his mind. How many years he had taken Rowan's voice for granted, never realizing it was the most beautiful sound he knew. A world without it felt hollow, impossible — it was not a possibility Goldhorn was willing to let himself admit, though the longer Rowan lapsed into unconsciousness, the more the reality choked him.

"Rowan," he breathed, stepping to the flora fae. Rowan, so sweet and so diplomatic even with the few breaths he had, dismissed the pair of boys from the room. Goldhorn didn't watch them go, instead reaching out to cup Rowan's cheek, gazing into the other fae's eyes. The infinite whiteness now seemed blank staring back at him. "I didn't want to wake you," he said softly. Blackthorn had been badgering him to go, but the thought of leaving without bidding Rowan farewell terrified Goldhorn. It wouldn't happen — he wouldn't let it — but the idea he could come back and Rowan would never wake up haunted him. He drifted his hand to the back of Rowan's head, delicately pulling it closer to him to press a kiss to his forehead. "I will be leaving with Blackthorn soon," he murmured after allowing the kiss to linger. Rowan's pith was not there to calm the anxiety that tore at his stomach, though Goldhorn wasn't sure if it would have helped regardless. "I don't know how long we'll be gone," he said, his throat tightening again. His words were a rasp, the emotion scraping him raw. "But there will not be a moment I don't think of you." It was pointless to ask Rowan to hang on, but the silent plea lingered beneath the surface. He only needed a little more time, a little more to fight for what he hadn't before.
Lifeless. Yes. That was what it was. That was why it had been so uncanny. Like a dead man walking, acting, like a living person. He shuddered again, wrapping his arms around himself despite the comfortable temperature in the room. "He was… dying." The revelation should have shocked him. Terrified him. But instead, it soothed whatever had been toiling in his stomach. It made sense now.

"Do you think, everyone dies that way in this world?" He hadn't known anyone personally who died in the Drei world, but he suspected it wasn't whatever was happening to… Rowan, was it? He drew closer to Josurr, stealing fragments of comfort from the warmth radiating off his body.

His mind was distant while Josurr spoke, barely registering the words in his mind. He was busy, thinking about death and morbid things. The subject had a funny way of infiltrating his mind once brought up. It clung to things in his brain. Settled like a tar, sticking to everything. Ever since… he got hit by the shadowfester.

But a single word brought him back, by force. "Prince?! Me?!" He whipped his torso around and pointed a finger at his own face. "Wait… Hawthorn's a King?"

He should have known. Should have sensed it, but he was always trash at observation. The guard had been rather friendly after all. A smile couldn't possibly be that charming without a pith, and he certainly did not have a pith to speak of. "I didn't know. I thought my father was just an accountant."

He grabbed Josurr by the arms, "I swear! I didn't know anything! I only just got here! I haven't even seen my father in 7 years." He still couldn't quite believe it. It didn't make any sense. His father's name had been Biloba when he had been given to Cassio. Biloba. But… the hawthorn trees. Mercy, he was so stupid. Of course those hadn't been planted there. His father never really gardened much, despite the flourishing gardens that had been the envy of all the neighbors.

Hawthorn. He was the child of Hawthorn. Hawthorn, the King.

--

It broke him to hear Goldhorn's voice like this, calling his name, as if he'd leave at any moment. He had reason to fear. The fade was reaching its final stages. These days, if he wasn't on Goldhorn's bed, with barely any energy to move, he was completely gone, lost to the somnus state. Cassio told him, while Goldhorn had been dragged out for a meal, that he'd been gone for nearly 8 days this time. Cassio had not thought he would wake again.

If he did fall back into the slumber…The kiss to his forehead was the brush of a petal falling against his skin. "Goldhorn." His voice barely felt like his own. It wasn't even a whisper. Just a haunting of a voice. The fade had taken that too. His hands clung to the soft fabric of Goldhorn's sleeves, barely able to make the smallest of creases. It hurt, not being able to hold him. To touch and feel his presence. Even with his palm against his arm and his fingers pressed into the forearm, he could barely register any feeling. It was like he was touching a phantom. That… of all things was the worst of the fade. It was like his body was forgetting what it meant to be alive, while he watched it disappear.

He tipped to lean against Goldhorn's broad chest. He nestled himself in the crevice closest to his chest. The dull thumps of a heart beat drummed against his cheek and he let out a shuddered sigh that made him shake like a dried leaf in autumn. There was so many things he wanted to say. So many things he wanted to ask forgiveness for. So many things he wanted to confess. But there was not much time.

"I will miss you." The tears began to bloom against the fine fabric, seeping through the fibers, as if clinging to prove they were real. He slipped his arms around Dvalin's torso, tightening them as much as he possibly could. A year ago, this would have been his wildest dream, a fantasy, to hold Dvalin like this. Now, it was truly the most unimaginable nightmare to live through.

The spit choked his throat as he spoke, "Dvalin… I'm sorry." If he hadn't been so weak. If he had not succumbed to the manipulations of his Blackthorn, none of this would have happened. And if he had been more brave, more beautiful, more…he would have told Dvalin that he was his counter that very first day they met. It was his fault. It all was.

"I knew that first time we met, that you were the one. I knew the moment I saw you. You were a wild ray, golden, and brilliant like the sun. But you were so sad, so lost, so … much in pain. I wanted to help you. To ease it all, to make it go away. So I tried. I wish the same now. I wish I could make this all go away," He pressed a palm to Dvalin's chest. He could still sense the turmoil that occurs in anyone's body, but he could do nothing about it now.

"I never wanted you to suffer. Never."

He leaned so he could see the light of Dvalin's eyes peering at him with the sorrow of the worlds drowning him. "I only wanted you to be happy. I'm sorry… that I failed."

He would not say it to Goldhorn, but even if he came back tomorrow, he would not be here. He would be lost when he fell back asleep. Even now, the somnus was calling to him. Drawing him into its fold.

This might be the last time he would see Dvalin's face. His King. His Sun. His Goldhorn. He reached up with his thin fingers, the tendons jutting out of his skin, and caressed Dvalin's brow, then his nose, his eyes, his cheeks, and then lastly, his lips. "You are the Sun of this world. You were made for a great purpose and even when I am gone, you will still shine."

He pressed his lips against the form of Dvalin's and even if he could not feel the passing of the kiss, he remembered what it was like when Dvalin had come back for him. He let Goldhorn have his moment, let him hold him tight, let him hug his decrepit body.

"Did you pack your high boots? The ones that go to your thighs? I heard you may need to go to the mire." He wiped the tears from his eyes and folded his hands together. "Also, the boy, not Pasque, he's been waiting for a signature three days now. Give it to him now. You never know when it could be too late. We need more healers in this world."

"And… Goldhorn, please, don't let Blackthorn get to you. He is what he will always be." Somnus pulled at him. He did not have much time left if he wanted Goldhorn to actually embark on this journey. "Go now. I feel good. I think I'll be good until you return. I'll have Cassio give me more of that medicine." His eyes flutter closed and he drew a long breath. "I will be waiting for you." Always. In this life and in the next.

Lifeless. Yes. That was what it was. That was why it had been so uncanny. Like a dead man walking, acting, like a living person. He shuddered again, wrapping his arms around himself despite the comfortable temperature in the room. "He was… dying." The revelation should have shocked him. Terrified him. But instead, it soothed whatever had been toiling in his stomach. It made sense now.

"Do you think, everyone dies that way in this world?" He hadn't known anyone personally who died in the Drei world, but he suspected it wasn't whatever was happening to… Rowan, was it? He drew closer to Josurr, stealing fragments of comfort from the warmth radiating off his body.

His mind was distant while Josurr spoke, barely registering the words in his mind. He was busy, thinking about death and morbid things. The subject had a funny way of infiltrating his mind once brought up. It clung to things in his brain. Settled like a tar, sticking to everything. Ever since… he got hit by the shadowfester.

But a single word brought him back, by force. "Prince?! Me?!" He whipped his torso around and pointed a finger at his own face. "Wait… Hawthorn's a King?"

He should have known. Should have sensed it, but he was always trash at observation. The guard had been rather friendly after all. A smile couldn't possibly be that charming without a pith, and he certainly did not have a pith to speak of. "I didn't know. I thought my father was just an accountant."

He grabbed Josurr by the arms, "I swear! I didn't know anything! I only just got here! I haven't even seen my father in 7 years." He still couldn't quite believe it. It didn't make any sense. His father's name had been Biloba when he had been given to Cassio. Biloba. But… the hawthorn trees. Mercy, he was so stupid. Of course those hadn't been planted there. His father never really gardened much, despite the flourishing gardens that had been the envy of all the neighbors.

Hawthorn. He was the child of Hawthorn. Hawthorn, the King.

--

It broke him to hear Goldhorn's voice like this, calling his name, as if he'd leave at any moment. He had reason to fear. The fade was reaching its final stages. These days, if he wasn't on Goldhorn's bed, with barely any energy to move, he was completely gone, lost to the somnus state. Cassio told him, while Goldhorn had been dragged out for a meal, that he'd been gone for nearly 8 days this time. Cassio had not thought he would wake again.

If he did fall back into the slumber…The kiss to his forehead was the brush of a petal falling against his skin. "Goldhorn." His voice barely felt like his own. It wasn't even a whisper. Just a haunting of a voice. The fade had taken that too. His hands clung to the soft fabric of Goldhorn's sleeves, barely able to make the smallest of creases. It hurt, not being able to hold him. To touch and feel his presence. Even with his palm against his arm and his fingers pressed into the forearm, he could barely register any feeling. It was like he was touching a phantom. That… of all things was the worst of the fade. It was like his body was forgetting what it meant to be alive, while he watched it disappear.

He tipped to lean against Goldhorn's broad chest. He nestled himself in the crevice closest to his chest. The dull thumps of a heart beat drummed against his cheek and he let out a shuddered sigh that made him shake like a dried leaf in autumn. There was so many things he wanted to say. So many things he wanted to ask forgiveness for. So many things he wanted to confess. But there was not much time.

"I will miss you." The tears began to bloom against the fine fabric, seeping through the fibers, as if clinging to prove they were real. He slipped his arms around Dvalin's torso, tightening them as much as he possibly could. A year ago, this would have been his wildest dream, a fantasy, to hold Dvalin like this. Now, it was truly the most unimaginable nightmare to live through.

The spit choked his throat as he spoke, "Dvalin… I'm sorry." If he hadn't been so weak. If he had not succumbed to the manipulations of his Blackthorn, none of this would have happened. And if he had been more brave, more beautiful, more…he would have told Dvalin that he was his counter that very first day they met. It was his fault. It all was.

"I knew that first time we met, that you were the one. I knew the moment I saw you. You were a wild ray, golden, and brilliant like the sun. But you were so sad, so lost, so … much in pain. I wanted to help you. To ease it all, to make it go away. So I tried. I wish the same now. I wish I could make this all go away," He pressed a palm to Dvalin's chest. He could still sense the turmoil that occurs in anyone's body, but he could do nothing about it now.

"I never wanted you to suffer. Never."

He leaned so he could see the light of Dvalin's eyes peering at him with the sorrow of the worlds drowning him. "I only wanted you to be happy. I'm sorry… that I failed."

He would not say it to Goldhorn, but even if he came back tomorrow, he would not be here. He would be lost when he fell back asleep. Even now, the somnus was calling to him. Drawing him into its fold.

This might be the last time he would see Dvalin's face. His King. His Sun. His Goldhorn. He reached up with his thin fingers, the tendons jutting out of his skin, and caressed Dvalin's brow, then his nose, his eyes, his cheeks, and then lastly, his lips. "You are the Sun of this world. You were made for a great purpose and even when I am gone, you will still shine."

He pressed his lips against the form of Dvalin's and even if he could not feel the passing of the kiss, he remembered what it was like when Dvalin had come back for him. He let Goldhorn have his moment, let him hold him tight, let him hug his decrepit body.

"Did you pack your high boots? The ones that go to your thighs? I heard you may need to go to the mire." He wiped the tears from his eyes and folded his hands together. "Also, the boy, not Pasque, he's been waiting for a signature three days now. Give it to him now. You never know when it could be too late. We need more healers in this world."

"And… Goldhorn, please, don't let Blackthorn get to you. He is what he will always be." Somnus pulled at him. He did not have much time left if he wanted Goldhorn to actually embark on this journey. "Go now. I feel good. I think I'll be good until you return. I'll have Cassio give me more of that medicine." His eyes flutter closed and he drew a long breath. "I will be waiting for you." Always. In this life and in the next.

[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/0lJQlAr.png[/img][/center] Pasque's childlike ignorance was more concerning that whatever fate befell the fae inside the room. Josurr stared at him as the flora fae pondered so calmly about the nature of death. Josurr had never witnessed anyone die, but he was certain it couldn't always be like that. He had never heard of his ancestors becoming husk-like and slowly drifting off to death. Even Blackfeather who was mad, catatonically so, was not said to be in the grips of death, if Josurr had understood well. He didn't often like to think of death and he certainly didn't like to think of it like this. The dying fae made him uncomfortable and he was grateful they'd left the room, back immersed in an air where they didn't have to stare such horrible things in the face. But it was Pasque's odd words that confused him so. "[b]This world?[/b]" Josurr echoed, utterly lost. There were two realms about them, the Eins and the Drei, though the Eins was a distant world filled with all-knowing souls, and the Drei was a glorified dumping grounds that Blackthorn had been locked in. Josurr lifted his head from his fist as Pasque drew closer. His curiosity was odd and infectious, and it was difficult to resist taking on a teacherly voice. There was little Josurr knew that everyone else didn't, he'd admit, and Pasque's oddities made him feel more mature and wise. "[b]No, most definitely not. Death can happen in a moment. He must be... very sick.[/b]" Though even as he said it, it made no sense to him. They were in the [i]Courts[/i], and the fae seemed beloved by a [i]King[/i]; surely there was an appropriate healer that could be fetched. There were very few illnesses that were beyond hope for a cure, and it made Josurr nauseous to see someone who had perhaps contracted one. They sounded so distant in the realm he had grown up in. He had not been expecting Pasque's outburst and Josurr jumped in his seat as the other fae whipped about so abruptly. Josurr's jaw dropped as Pasque asked if Hawthorn was a [i]king[/i] — there was surely, [i]surely[/i], no corner of the world that did not know the name Hawthorn. And yet Pasque's shock was so earnest. "[b]An [i]accountant[/i]?[/b]" Josurr squawked. "[b]How could you think he was an [i]accountant[/i]?[/b]" If Hawthorn was going to hide the truth from Pasque, an accountant seemed like the most ridiculous career to select. There was no part of ruling and being an accountant that overlapped; moreover no reason why Hawthorn would be kept away from home and could not attend to his child, and it then occurred to Josurr that perhaps Pasque was not so wanted after all. Despite the sadness of it, the thought warmed him. It was not so unusual for kings to not want their children, then. At least his father did not lie to him that he was an [i]accountant[/i]. Josurr frowned when Pasque said seven years. "[b]How old are you?[/b]" he asked. The other boy looked similar to him; seven years ago he was nine, and that was plenty old enough to realize the gravity of his father's job. "[b]So you came here to... see your father, the accountant? Why were you knocked out?[/b]" Nothing in Pasque's story made any sense, but at least they were starting to get somewhere. If Hawthorn was as spineless as his family said, perhaps there was some prodigal resemblance after all. [center]~[/center] Rowan's voice tore at him from within, a sort of pain that he had not felt since so long now. How often had Rowan spoken his name; it seemed countless, entirely inconsequential, though always brimmed with admiration that had sated him. As weak as it was now, he could still feel the emotion underneath — or perhaps that was what he wanted to hear, to hold onto Rowan's love and strength until it was forcibly pulled from him. Rowan's touch was so light upon his arms, but it was everything. Goldhorn didn't dare to move as his sleeves were gripped, as if the slightest tremor would be enough to shatter Rowan. He had never been able to touch him as he now yearned to. Every time he held him, caressed him, Goldhorn was gripped with the fear Rowan would crumble in his arms. Breaking things had always come more naturally to him than fixing them. Rowan's body leaned into his and Goldhorn gently wrapped his arms around Rowan's feeble form. Already Rowan felt like a spirit, impossible to cling to. Emotion seeped through him at Rowan's words. Goldhorn almost didn't want to hear it. He'd been aggressive the entire length of Rowan's fade, refusing to listen to those who wanted him to prepare for the worst. He even swatted away the words when they came from Rowan's tongue; he would not treat him like he was gone when he was still alive. Though now they felt more poignant, more real. Rowan had deteriorated so much even since he'd returned to the Afternoon Court. Every sentence felt like a farewell as Goldhorn didn't know if there'd be another one to follow. He felt strangled, running his fingers against Rowan's back. "[b]I will return as soon as I can,[/b]" he promised, not willing to acknowledge that they could perhaps be missing one another far beyond the length of his journey. From Rowan's voice he could tell that the smaller fae was crying and Goldhorn had to blink to contain the tears himself. There was no need for them. Things had not ended yet, and he would not allow Blackthorn to see the destruction he had wrought. "[b]No,[/b]" he rasped, attempting to cut Rowan off. He had apologized so much, apologized for absolutely nothing. There was no point in regret. Goldhorn could have wallowed in the wrongs he'd committed, though none of it would remedy Rowan's fate. There could be no dwelling upon it. "[b]None of this is because of you.[/b]" His tone took on an edge. Rowan would not fade carrying the burden of Blackthorn's sins. "[b]And I will fix it. I will protect you, I swear.[/b]" He would protect him, as he always thought he had. Goldhorn stilled as Rowan mentioned the day they met. Admittedly the memory was fuzzed, ravaged by grief and fury. Rowan had been a mere servant's child then, somehow unremarkable. It was not the tender first meeting Goldhorn wished it could have been, and guilt seized him as Rowan proclaimed he had always known. Whatever Rowan had felt, he couldn't imagine. Perhaps the same emotion had been within him as well, just buried beneath the pain. Even if that was the case, it didn't matter. He wished he could have told him that he had always felt the same, but the words would never come. Goldhorn would lie to anyone else, but it pained him to lie to Rowan. "[b]It won't go away,[/b]" the king asserted. "[b]I will never let anyone take it away. I want... this.[/b]" The words came out choked. "[b]I want every memory of you.[/b]" It was hard to look into Rowan's eyes. They were an empty winter within his sallow face, a mere glimmer of the Rowan he had known. "[b]You have not failed,[/b]" Goldhorn whispered back. "[b]I have failed you, in not realizing that happiness sooner.[/b]" Once, he would have felt pride at being called the Sun, being told his purpose was great. It was what he had been born believing. Yet now the words were hollow. He felt neither bright nor strong, as if there was no purpose to shining at all. He wouldn't burden Rowan with his sorrow. If it made Rowan happy to believe he would still shine after his death, Goldhorn wouldn't argue. Giving Rowan peace was the only thing left for him to do, as the time had long faded where he could have brought him happiness. He said nothing and shut his eyes as Rowan pressed their lips together. Rowan was cold but it was all too easy to imagine him warm, to imagine his face healthy and glowing when he opened his eyes again. When Rowan spoke he blinked them open, and it wasn't so. "[b]I have,[/b]" Goldhorn said softly. Rowan was still concerned for him, as though Goldhorn wouldn't have walked through the mire with his feet bare. The next comment made his brows furrow — the simple boy Hawthorn's son had been with, waiting on a signature for his certificate. Had it been anyone else he would have bellowed, but Rowan softened him, and the king gave the slightest of nods in agreement. "[b]I will before I go.[/b]" All of the healers in the world meant nothing to him if they could not cure the fade, least of all this one, fresh-faced and intrusive. Goldhorn tensed at the word [i]Blackthorn[/i] and his fury bled into the sorrow. Had it not been for Blackthorn none of this would have been necessary; Rowan would have been at his side, and even if they didn't have love at least they would have had peace. Rowan was right in that Blackthorn was what he had always been and always would be. It would be thrice now that Blackthorn had robbed him of what he loved. Goldhorn had been powerless to save the first two, though the third was not yet beyond his fingertips. He was not so delusion that he'd think Blackthorn's presence on this trip had anything to do with sympathy for Rowan or even Blackfeather. The Night King was cruelty and insanity, and nothing would change it. Goldhorn didn't respond to the statement, merely giving a long exhale. Blackthorn would always haunt him, twisting him with his words and turning the days to night. It was inevitable. A lump formed in his throat as Rowan promised he felt well. He did not look well, and each time he fell into somnus it was longer and longer before he awoke. Goldhorn reached up, brushing his thumb against the dried tears. "[b]Please wait for me,[/b]" the king husked, feeling tears finally prick his eyes. "[b]I will do everything for you, please... wait.[/b]" He had held on so long, if only he could for a little longer still. Goldhorn swallowed thickly, finally unwrapping his arms from Rowan's body lest he cry. With Rowan no longer against him felt as though something had been taken from him, the pit of his stomach once again sick and empty. Goldhorn held onto to Rowan's upper sleeve, unable to pull himself away completely. "[b]I love you,[/b]" he said, and regretted how watery the statement was. It was not how it should have been.
0lJQlAr.png

Pasque's childlike ignorance was more concerning that whatever fate befell the fae inside the room. Josurr stared at him as the flora fae pondered so calmly about the nature of death. Josurr had never witnessed anyone die, but he was certain it couldn't always be like that. He had never heard of his ancestors becoming husk-like and slowly drifting off to death. Even Blackfeather who was mad, catatonically so, was not said to be in the grips of death, if Josurr had understood well. He didn't often like to think of death and he certainly didn't like to think of it like this. The dying fae made him uncomfortable and he was grateful they'd left the room, back immersed in an air where they didn't have to stare such horrible things in the face.

But it was Pasque's odd words that confused him so. "This world?" Josurr echoed, utterly lost. There were two realms about them, the Eins and the Drei, though the Eins was a distant world filled with all-knowing souls, and the Drei was a glorified dumping grounds that Blackthorn had been locked in. Josurr lifted his head from his fist as Pasque drew closer. His curiosity was odd and infectious, and it was difficult to resist taking on a teacherly voice. There was little Josurr knew that everyone else didn't, he'd admit, and Pasque's oddities made him feel more mature and wise. "No, most definitely not. Death can happen in a moment. He must be... very sick."

Though even as he said it, it made no sense to him. They were in the Courts, and the fae seemed beloved by a King; surely there was an appropriate healer that could be fetched. There were very few illnesses that were beyond hope for a cure, and it made Josurr nauseous to see someone who had perhaps contracted one. They sounded so distant in the realm he had grown up in.

He had not been expecting Pasque's outburst and Josurr jumped in his seat as the other fae whipped about so abruptly. Josurr's jaw dropped as Pasque asked if Hawthorn was a king — there was surely, surely, no corner of the world that did not know the name Hawthorn. And yet Pasque's shock was so earnest.

"An accountant?" Josurr squawked. "How could you think he was an accountant?" If Hawthorn was going to hide the truth from Pasque, an accountant seemed like the most ridiculous career to select. There was no part of ruling and being an accountant that overlapped; moreover no reason why Hawthorn would be kept away from home and could not attend to his child, and it then occurred to Josurr that perhaps Pasque was not so wanted after all. Despite the sadness of it, the thought warmed him. It was not so unusual for kings to not want their children, then. At least his father did not lie to him that he was an accountant.

Josurr frowned when Pasque said seven years. "How old are you?" he asked. The other boy looked similar to him; seven years ago he was nine, and that was plenty old enough to realize the gravity of his father's job. "So you came here to... see your father, the accountant? Why were you knocked out?" Nothing in Pasque's story made any sense, but at least they were starting to get somewhere. If Hawthorn was as spineless as his family said, perhaps there was some prodigal resemblance after all.
~

Rowan's voice tore at him from within, a sort of pain that he had not felt since so long now. How often had Rowan spoken his name; it seemed countless, entirely inconsequential, though always brimmed with admiration that had sated him. As weak as it was now, he could still feel the emotion underneath — or perhaps that was what he wanted to hear, to hold onto Rowan's love and strength until it was forcibly pulled from him. Rowan's touch was so light upon his arms, but it was everything. Goldhorn didn't dare to move as his sleeves were gripped, as if the slightest tremor would be enough to shatter Rowan. He had never been able to touch him as he now yearned to. Every time he held him, caressed him, Goldhorn was gripped with the fear Rowan would crumble in his arms. Breaking things had always come more naturally to him than fixing them.

Rowan's body leaned into his and Goldhorn gently wrapped his arms around Rowan's feeble form. Already Rowan felt like a spirit, impossible to cling to. Emotion seeped through him at Rowan's words. Goldhorn almost didn't want to hear it. He'd been aggressive the entire length of Rowan's fade, refusing to listen to those who wanted him to prepare for the worst. He even swatted away the words when they came from Rowan's tongue; he would not treat him like he was gone when he was still alive. Though now they felt more poignant, more real. Rowan had deteriorated so much even since he'd returned to the Afternoon Court. Every sentence felt like a farewell as Goldhorn didn't know if there'd be another one to follow. He felt strangled, running his fingers against Rowan's back. "I will return as soon as I can," he promised, not willing to acknowledge that they could perhaps be missing one another far beyond the length of his journey.

From Rowan's voice he could tell that the smaller fae was crying and Goldhorn had to blink to contain the tears himself. There was no need for them. Things had not ended yet, and he would not allow Blackthorn to see the destruction he had wrought. "No," he rasped, attempting to cut Rowan off. He had apologized so much, apologized for absolutely nothing. There was no point in regret. Goldhorn could have wallowed in the wrongs he'd committed, though none of it would remedy Rowan's fate. There could be no dwelling upon it. "None of this is because of you." His tone took on an edge. Rowan would not fade carrying the burden of Blackthorn's sins. "And I will fix it. I will protect you, I swear." He would protect him, as he always thought he had.

Goldhorn stilled as Rowan mentioned the day they met. Admittedly the memory was fuzzed, ravaged by grief and fury. Rowan had been a mere servant's child then, somehow unremarkable. It was not the tender first meeting Goldhorn wished it could have been, and guilt seized him as Rowan proclaimed he had always known. Whatever Rowan had felt, he couldn't imagine. Perhaps the same emotion had been within him as well, just buried beneath the pain. Even if that was the case, it didn't matter. He wished he could have told him that he had always felt the same, but the words would never come. Goldhorn would lie to anyone else, but it pained him to lie to Rowan. "It won't go away," the king asserted. "I will never let anyone take it away. I want... this." The words came out choked. "I want every memory of you."

It was hard to look into Rowan's eyes. They were an empty winter within his sallow face, a mere glimmer of the Rowan he had known. "You have not failed," Goldhorn whispered back. "I have failed you, in not realizing that happiness sooner."

Once, he would have felt pride at being called the Sun, being told his purpose was great. It was what he had been born believing. Yet now the words were hollow. He felt neither bright nor strong, as if there was no purpose to shining at all. He wouldn't burden Rowan with his sorrow. If it made Rowan happy to believe he would still shine after his death, Goldhorn wouldn't argue. Giving Rowan peace was the only thing left for him to do, as the time had long faded where he could have brought him happiness. He said nothing and shut his eyes as Rowan pressed their lips together. Rowan was cold but it was all too easy to imagine him warm, to imagine his face healthy and glowing when he opened his eyes again. When Rowan spoke he blinked them open, and it wasn't so.

"I have," Goldhorn said softly. Rowan was still concerned for him, as though Goldhorn wouldn't have walked through the mire with his feet bare. The next comment made his brows furrow — the simple boy Hawthorn's son had been with, waiting on a signature for his certificate. Had it been anyone else he would have bellowed, but Rowan softened him, and the king gave the slightest of nods in agreement. "I will before I go." All of the healers in the world meant nothing to him if they could not cure the fade, least of all this one, fresh-faced and intrusive.

Goldhorn tensed at the word Blackthorn and his fury bled into the sorrow. Had it not been for Blackthorn none of this would have been necessary; Rowan would have been at his side, and even if they didn't have love at least they would have had peace. Rowan was right in that Blackthorn was what he had always been and always would be. It would be thrice now that Blackthorn had robbed him of what he loved. Goldhorn had been powerless to save the first two, though the third was not yet beyond his fingertips. He was not so delusion that he'd think Blackthorn's presence on this trip had anything to do with sympathy for Rowan or even Blackfeather. The Night King was cruelty and insanity, and nothing would change it. Goldhorn didn't respond to the statement, merely giving a long exhale. Blackthorn would always haunt him, twisting him with his words and turning the days to night. It was inevitable.

A lump formed in his throat as Rowan promised he felt well. He did not look well, and each time he fell into somnus it was longer and longer before he awoke. Goldhorn reached up, brushing his thumb against the dried tears. "Please wait for me," the king husked, feeling tears finally ***** his eyes. "I will do everything for you, please... wait." He had held on so long, if only he could for a little longer still. Goldhorn swallowed thickly, finally unwrapping his arms from Rowan's body lest he cry. With Rowan no longer against him felt as though something had been taken from him, the pit of his stomach once again sick and empty. Goldhorn held onto to Rowan's upper sleeve, unable to pull himself away completely. "I love you," he said, and regretted how watery the statement was. It was not how it should have been.
"I'm 17 Zwei years. Though I guess by now I would have been…" He drew out the numbers on his palm, thinking through the multiplication tables. "Uh… 85-ish in Drei?" Wow, he would have been so old.

"Well, I'm not sure why I was brought here, because I haven't been able to meet my father yet." He drew a breath and stared at the dust falling, catching the last remaining rays of the afternoon. "I didn't even know that his name was Hawthorn." He knew it was not uncommon for people to have no parentage in this world. It wasn't a unique circumstance, but it felt like someone was stepping on his chest. There were probably so many people in this world who knew more about his father than he did.

"What is he like?" Would this Hawthorn be different than the father he knew and loved? Would he treat him differently? So many of his warmest and brightest memories were of his father. What if that had all been a dream? Sometimes they felt like conjured fantasies, but he tried his best not to believe they were simply that.

--

The words echoed in his mind like the toll of bells in the distance. Of all the words he could have said, those were the ones that rang with finality, as if this was the last time he'd ever hear those words again. He couldn't imagine why they were more of a goodbye than any farewell could have been, but it terrified him. His hand slipped into Goldhorn's palm and his other went to his cheek, cradling it.

"I promise." He whispered, then he sealed his commitment with a kiss to Goldhorn's eyelid. One on each side. As his mother used to do when she was leaving for a long trip. "I will always love you." The words were sealed with his forehead pressed against Goldhorn's. They stood in silence for moments, seconds, an eternity, memorializing the infinity of a minute.

"It's time. You should go. Everyone is waiting." He smiled, because it was the only thing left to do. His hand slipped away and he stepped back, letting the afternoon rays spill over his shoulder and shadow his face. "Don't take too long." He said, unable to help himself, because even now he still had hope that he would remain awake despite every call in his body telling him to sleep. He prayed, feverishly, that this would not be the end. If there was anyone, anything out there who had the power to make it so, he would give anything to remain by Goldhorn's side.

There were songs about the enigmatic existence of Counters, and all the harsh, cruel realities of their meetings. Not all Counters were made to love, in fact more than not, they were indifferent reflections of each other, or catastrophic polar opposites destined for destruction. To meet one that not only balanced but also completed one another was a rare circumstance. To think theirs would end like this. It was a cruel fate.

Yngvir had told him a story about counters who only ever met once in each lifetime, and that single meeting was always upon the death of one or the other. He thought that was a kinder fate than what he had experienced. Not knowing what you do not have is easier to live with, than to have known something and have it taken away. Goldhorn was not as strong as he thought he was. He would be affected, though for how long or how much, those were still mysteries.

He had ask Yngvir, when Goldhorn had to step away for Court matters if he thought it would have been better if a confession had never been made. If Rowan had never said a word, would it effect Goldhorn as much as it did now? Perhaps he had been the cruel one to let out those words from their trap, wounded and dying.

Yngvir's response had startled him, "He would not have been whole if he had never known. He would have lived his life as only a fragment of himself. Even when you are gone, he will know what it means to be whole and strive for it. Would you deny that of him?"

He didn't know the answer, for he was every bit selfish as he was self-depreciating. He was the disposable one. He was the shadow. He was the reflection in the mirror. Yet, he wanted to cling onto every part of Goldhorn's existence, to infiltrate and take root deep enough that if he left the foundation would crumble. This was the darkness in him. The path that led him to the Night Court.

So he said nothing, and turned away. He didn't think on it again, until now. Some part of him deep inside the void that retained his identity relished in the idea that there was someone out there that depended so greatly on him that their lives would deteriorate in his demise. It terrified him that this is all that remained in his soul now, yet, he could do nothing but accept it.

When Goldhorn was finally gone, he leaned against the window pane, the strength leaving his legs. "Don't forget me." Then he closed his eyes.

"I'm 17 Zwei years. Though I guess by now I would have been…" He drew out the numbers on his palm, thinking through the multiplication tables. "Uh… 85-ish in Drei?" Wow, he would have been so old.

"Well, I'm not sure why I was brought here, because I haven't been able to meet my father yet." He drew a breath and stared at the dust falling, catching the last remaining rays of the afternoon. "I didn't even know that his name was Hawthorn." He knew it was not uncommon for people to have no parentage in this world. It wasn't a unique circumstance, but it felt like someone was stepping on his chest. There were probably so many people in this world who knew more about his father than he did.

"What is he like?" Would this Hawthorn be different than the father he knew and loved? Would he treat him differently? So many of his warmest and brightest memories were of his father. What if that had all been a dream? Sometimes they felt like conjured fantasies, but he tried his best not to believe they were simply that.

--

The words echoed in his mind like the toll of bells in the distance. Of all the words he could have said, those were the ones that rang with finality, as if this was the last time he'd ever hear those words again. He couldn't imagine why they were more of a goodbye than any farewell could have been, but it terrified him. His hand slipped into Goldhorn's palm and his other went to his cheek, cradling it.

"I promise." He whispered, then he sealed his commitment with a kiss to Goldhorn's eyelid. One on each side. As his mother used to do when she was leaving for a long trip. "I will always love you." The words were sealed with his forehead pressed against Goldhorn's. They stood in silence for moments, seconds, an eternity, memorializing the infinity of a minute.

"It's time. You should go. Everyone is waiting." He smiled, because it was the only thing left to do. His hand slipped away and he stepped back, letting the afternoon rays spill over his shoulder and shadow his face. "Don't take too long." He said, unable to help himself, because even now he still had hope that he would remain awake despite every call in his body telling him to sleep. He prayed, feverishly, that this would not be the end. If there was anyone, anything out there who had the power to make it so, he would give anything to remain by Goldhorn's side.

There were songs about the enigmatic existence of Counters, and all the harsh, cruel realities of their meetings. Not all Counters were made to love, in fact more than not, they were indifferent reflections of each other, or catastrophic polar opposites destined for destruction. To meet one that not only balanced but also completed one another was a rare circumstance. To think theirs would end like this. It was a cruel fate.

Yngvir had told him a story about counters who only ever met once in each lifetime, and that single meeting was always upon the death of one or the other. He thought that was a kinder fate than what he had experienced. Not knowing what you do not have is easier to live with, than to have known something and have it taken away. Goldhorn was not as strong as he thought he was. He would be affected, though for how long or how much, those were still mysteries.

He had ask Yngvir, when Goldhorn had to step away for Court matters if he thought it would have been better if a confession had never been made. If Rowan had never said a word, would it effect Goldhorn as much as it did now? Perhaps he had been the cruel one to let out those words from their trap, wounded and dying.

Yngvir's response had startled him, "He would not have been whole if he had never known. He would have lived his life as only a fragment of himself. Even when you are gone, he will know what it means to be whole and strive for it. Would you deny that of him?"

He didn't know the answer, for he was every bit selfish as he was self-depreciating. He was the disposable one. He was the shadow. He was the reflection in the mirror. Yet, he wanted to cling onto every part of Goldhorn's existence, to infiltrate and take root deep enough that if he left the foundation would crumble. This was the darkness in him. The path that led him to the Night Court.

So he said nothing, and turned away. He didn't think on it again, until now. Some part of him deep inside the void that retained his identity relished in the idea that there was someone out there that depended so greatly on him that their lives would deteriorate in his demise. It terrified him that this is all that remained in his soul now, yet, he could do nothing but accept it.

When Goldhorn was finally gone, he leaned against the window pane, the strength leaving his legs. "Don't forget me." Then he closed his eyes.

[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/0lJQlAr.png[/img][/center] Josurr had never heard the phrase [i]Zwei years[/i] in his life, or [i]Drei years[/i] for that matter. "[b]What?[/b]" he said flatly. This was probably the simplest question he could have asked, and still Pasque made it convoluted. Though as he stared at Pasque, the gears began to turn. Nothing Pasque said made any sense; he was completely clueless, didn't know Hawthorn was a king, didn't know how fae [i]died[/i] ('in this world,' of course) — he was an inexplicably odd individual, though really so was Hawthorn. The former Seelie King had sent himself into exile rather than continue to serve opposing Blackthorn. He'd cast himself into the Drei world, which was a realm Josurr knew little of beyond that it contained much less powerful creatures who could shift between forms but were pathetic with magic. "[b]Did you live on Drei?[/b]" Josurr asked him, studying Pasque's expression. His thoughts ran rampant through his head; if he was [i]conceived[/i] on Drei, it would make sense why he counted his age in Drei years. Of course that would also mean that Hawthorn coupled with a drey to produce a child, though that only invited more questions as Josurr hadn't a clue how a drey-born could survive in the Zwei world. Pasque certainly looked fae and was named appropriately too. However it was not enough to patch up all of the inconsistencies in Pasque. Josurr tilted his head as Pasque's pleasant mood faded. Clearly they were touching upon something personal and Josurr hungered for more. Pasque's parental issues drew him in like a flame. No one in his youth had ever sympathized with him — nor would he have asked them to — and to stumble upon someone who hurt in the same way made his wounds feel better. Josurr didn't feel guilty in the least for profiting from Pasque's pain, and readily prodded. "[b]What did you think his name was?[/b]" he asked, all the while feeling the relief that such an atrocity had not befallen him. At least he was not so bad off that he knew [i]nothing[/i] of his parentage, not even their names or what they did. Of course Pasque's had brought him to Court which was something, but did it really remedy all Hawthorn had done to him? No, of course not. It couldn't. Josurr wouldn't lose his compatriot in wallowing. [i]What was he liked[/i], the flora fae asked. Josurr contemplated; the things he knew about Hawthorn were not terribly flattering, and he didn't want to chase Pasque from his side. "[b]Well, he's a Seelie fae,[/b]" the boy began. "[b]My family are Unseelies. They're very different.[/b]" It was hard to tell Pasque that Seelie fae had rather weak willpower and were bound in a hive mind to tradition, which was something that typically went without explanation. "[b]I've never met him. I've heard he's quiet, though. Not good with war, or making decisions. He didn't want to fight the casteless, even though they were about to attack.[/b]" Josurr shrugged. "[b]He likes plants, and he rides about on a peryton.[/b]" It felt as good of a summary for Hawthorn as one could get. Josurr frowned suddenly. "[b]You have met him though, haven't you? What was he like then?[/b]" It couldn't have been much different. No one ever really changed. He nearly jumped out of his skin as the door opened. Josurr's hands gripped the arm of the chair as the Afternoon King stepped into the room. The fury had been sapped from his expression and he looked tired, not tired as the lifeless fae did, but worn. His golden eyes flitted from Pasque to Josurr, and though he paused, Josurr got the inclination he was looking through him rather than at him. "[b]You have a certificate?[/b]" Goldhorn asked, weary. Josurr didn't know how he'd known. Still, he wouldn't miss this opportunity. With the King right before him Josurr's heart was pounding again and he hastily dug the certificate out from his back pocket — it was wrinkled by now, but the time tables were clear and signed, which he assumed was what was most important. Josurr handed it to Goldhorn, the lump in his throat strangling him. "[b]Thank you,[/b]" he forced out, averting his gaze else where. Regardless of whether or not it was rude to stare a King in the face, it was hard to look Goldhorn in the eyes. However the long silence caused him to sneak a look back. The King's face was unreadable, his lips parted and his stare locked upon the front page. "[b][i]Josurr[/b][/i]," Goldhorn finally read his name in a sneer and it made Josurr's skin prickle. Goldhorn flipped the page to look over his tables, his nose wrinkled as he stared at the numbers. "[b]Impressive experience for someone so young,[/b]" he said. Cold slipped into Josurr's blood. He hadn't thought he'd be scrutinized; all he needed as a simple signature. Goldhorn's eyes came to rest upon his face and Josurr felt like a pinned specimen between them. "[b]How old are you?[/b]" the King asked him, though it sounded like more of a challenge than a question. "[b]I'm sixteen,[/b]" he answered, though it was plainly listed on the form. The honesty was an oasis. "[b]Sixteen, that's right,[/b]" Goldhorn purred. "[b]And what makes you think you should be a healer, [i]Josurr[/i]?[/b]" He was flipping through the pages again, a cruel smile upon his face as he did so. Josurr had heard his name spoken many different ways during his life, though this one was new. There was no indication that there would be an interview portion for this and Josurr struggled for words. Why [i]did[/i] he? It was freedom. It was something far removed from the scope of his family and there was no chance he could be lumped in with their influence — for better or for worse. It was a sad answer in response to a King however, and with his licensing on his line, Josurr tried to summon something that would appeal to a Seelie. "[b]I-I want to help. I've seen — tragedy, and death, even here, and I... want to make it better, somehow.[/b] "[b]You aren't ready,[/b]" Goldhorn cut him off. The dismissiveness of it made Josurr's chest tighten. Even though he hadn't really done anything he'd claimed to, the idea was offensive, that Goldhorn could decide just from [i]glancing[/i] at him that he wasn't ready. The entitlement began to roar within him, though the King continued. "[b]But, I have a proposition for you,[/b]" Goldhorn began. "[b]You will stay here. You will serve the Afternoon Court. Cassio will oversee you and I will review you again in a few month's time.[/b]" The fae's face split into a grin, though it was a tense one. "[b]Think well, Josurr. Not many are invited to serve in the Courts, and not at sixteen. This would be good for you.[/b]" Josurr's heart pounded, torn between the horror of potentially being caught and the truth of the statement — he was right, the genuine experience and leverage it would afford him would be invaluable. The fact it was being handed to him on a silver platter was unreal. He hadn't intended to stay in the Courts any longer than necessary, but there would be no better place to gain the respect he yearned for. The clarity of it was certain. "[b]Yes, I... I accept,[/b]" he replied. His hands were beginning to sweat and he was eager to bolt from the room. "[b]Good,[/b]" Goldhorn said. The King strode across the room to a table pushed up against the wall, stooping to sign the form. He straightened after he did so, inspecting the signature before stepping back towards the young fae. Josurr eased up from the chair, reaching out as Goldhorn handed him the certificate back. "[b]A provisional signature, permitting you only to act within the Courts,[/b]" he said and his face pressed into a smile. "[b]You are decisive, Josurr,[/b]" the Afternoon King murmured. "[b]A fortuitous trait. You will earn your license soon, I am sure.[/b]" "[b]Thank you,[/b]" Josurr managed, regaining his composure. Goldhorn had already turned to depart. His eyes lingered upon Pasque for a moment though he offered the flora fae but a cursory smile before that all but vanished from his face, a storm again beneath his weary features. Josurr swallowed as the door shut beneath the Afternoon King, though the tension had not yet faded. "[b]Well,[/b]" he started, staring at the signature now upon his papers, "[b]I suppose that went... alright.[/b]" It wasn't exactly what he anticipated, though his gut nagged him that this was good; he had something better now. The fauna fae exhaled, letting his shoulders relax. He flashed a grin at Pasque, who, son of a king of not, was infinitely less overwhelming than Goldhorn. "[b]it is definitely time to go,[/b]" Josurr asserted, playfully nudging Pasque with his elbow as he walked past him. Who knew what else they'd find the longer they lingered behind the golden doors, and Josurr had had his fill.
0lJQlAr.png

Josurr had never heard the phrase Zwei years in his life, or Drei years for that matter. "What?" he said flatly. This was probably the simplest question he could have asked, and still Pasque made it convoluted. Though as he stared at Pasque, the gears began to turn. Nothing Pasque said made any sense; he was completely clueless, didn't know Hawthorn was a king, didn't know how fae died ('in this world,' of course) — he was an inexplicably odd individual, though really so was Hawthorn. The former Seelie King had sent himself into exile rather than continue to serve opposing Blackthorn. He'd cast himself into the Drei world, which was a realm Josurr knew little of beyond that it contained much less powerful creatures who could shift between forms but were pathetic with magic.

"Did you live on Drei?" Josurr asked him, studying Pasque's expression. His thoughts ran rampant through his head; if he was conceived on Drei, it would make sense why he counted his age in Drei years. Of course that would also mean that Hawthorn coupled with a drey to produce a child, though that only invited more questions as Josurr hadn't a clue how a drey-born could survive in the Zwei world. Pasque certainly looked fae and was named appropriately too. However it was not enough to patch up all of the inconsistencies in Pasque.

Josurr tilted his head as Pasque's pleasant mood faded. Clearly they were touching upon something personal and Josurr hungered for more. Pasque's parental issues drew him in like a flame. No one in his youth had ever sympathized with him — nor would he have asked them to — and to stumble upon someone who hurt in the same way made his wounds feel better. Josurr didn't feel guilty in the least for profiting from Pasque's pain, and readily prodded. "What did you think his name was?" he asked, all the while feeling the relief that such an atrocity had not befallen him. At least he was not so bad off that he knew nothing of his parentage, not even their names or what they did. Of course Pasque's had brought him to Court which was something, but did it really remedy all Hawthorn had done to him? No, of course not. It couldn't. Josurr wouldn't lose his compatriot in wallowing.

What was he liked, the flora fae asked. Josurr contemplated; the things he knew about Hawthorn were not terribly flattering, and he didn't want to chase Pasque from his side. "Well, he's a Seelie fae," the boy began. "My family are Unseelies. They're very different." It was hard to tell Pasque that Seelie fae had rather weak willpower and were bound in a hive mind to tradition, which was something that typically went without explanation. "I've never met him. I've heard he's quiet, though. Not good with war, or making decisions. He didn't want to fight the casteless, even though they were about to attack." Josurr shrugged. "He likes plants, and he rides about on a peryton." It felt as good of a summary for Hawthorn as one could get. Josurr frowned suddenly. "You have met him though, haven't you? What was he like then?" It couldn't have been much different. No one ever really changed.

He nearly jumped out of his skin as the door opened. Josurr's hands gripped the arm of the chair as the Afternoon King stepped into the room. The fury had been sapped from his expression and he looked tired, not tired as the lifeless fae did, but worn. His golden eyes flitted from Pasque to Josurr, and though he paused, Josurr got the inclination he was looking through him rather than at him.

"You have a certificate?" Goldhorn asked, weary. Josurr didn't know how he'd known.

Still, he wouldn't miss this opportunity. With the King right before him Josurr's heart was pounding again and he hastily dug the certificate out from his back pocket — it was wrinkled by now, but the time tables were clear and signed, which he assumed was what was most important. Josurr handed it to Goldhorn, the lump in his throat strangling him. "Thank you," he forced out, averting his gaze else where. Regardless of whether or not it was rude to stare a King in the face, it was hard to look Goldhorn in the eyes.

However the long silence caused him to sneak a look back. The King's face was unreadable, his lips parted and his stare locked upon the front page. "Josurr," Goldhorn finally read his name in a sneer and it made Josurr's skin prickle. Goldhorn flipped the page to look over his tables, his nose wrinkled as he stared at the numbers. "Impressive experience for someone so young," he said. Cold slipped into Josurr's blood. He hadn't thought he'd be scrutinized; all he needed as a simple signature. Goldhorn's eyes came to rest upon his face and Josurr felt like a pinned specimen between them. "How old are you?" the King asked him, though it sounded like more of a challenge than a question.

"I'm sixteen," he answered, though it was plainly listed on the form. The honesty was an oasis.

"Sixteen, that's right," Goldhorn purred. "And what makes you think you should be a healer, Josurr?" He was flipping through the pages again, a cruel smile upon his face as he did so. Josurr had heard his name spoken many different ways during his life, though this one was new.

There was no indication that there would be an interview portion for this and Josurr struggled for words. Why did he? It was freedom. It was something far removed from the scope of his family and there was no chance he could be lumped in with their influence — for better or for worse. It was a sad answer in response to a King however, and with his licensing on his line, Josurr tried to summon something that would appeal to a Seelie. "I-I want to help. I've seen —
tragedy, and death, even here, and I... want to make it better, somehow.

"You aren't ready," Goldhorn cut him off. The dismissiveness of it made Josurr's chest tighten. Even though he hadn't really done anything he'd claimed to, the idea was offensive, that Goldhorn could decide just from glancing at him that he wasn't ready. The entitlement began to roar within him, though the King continued. "But, I have a proposition for you," Goldhorn began. "You will stay here. You will serve the Afternoon Court. Cassio will oversee you and I will review you again in a few month's time." The fae's face split into a grin, though it was a tense one. "Think well, Josurr. Not many are invited to serve in the Courts, and not at sixteen. This would be good for you."

Josurr's heart pounded, torn between the horror of potentially being caught and the truth of the statement — he was right, the genuine experience and leverage it would afford him would be invaluable. The fact it was being handed to him on a silver platter was unreal. He hadn't intended to stay in the Courts any longer than necessary, but there would be no better place to gain the respect he yearned for. The clarity of it was certain. "Yes, I... I accept," he replied. His hands were beginning to sweat and he was eager to bolt from the room.

"Good," Goldhorn said. The King strode across the room to a table pushed up against the wall, stooping to sign the form. He straightened after he did so, inspecting the signature before stepping back towards the young fae. Josurr eased up from the chair, reaching out as Goldhorn handed him the certificate back. "A provisional signature, permitting you only to act within the Courts," he said and his face pressed into a smile. "You are decisive, Josurr," the Afternoon King murmured. "A fortuitous trait. You will earn your license soon, I am sure."

"Thank you," Josurr managed, regaining his composure. Goldhorn had already turned to depart. His eyes lingered upon Pasque for a moment though he offered the flora fae but a cursory smile before that all but vanished from his face, a storm again beneath his weary features. Josurr swallowed as the door shut beneath the Afternoon King, though the tension had not yet faded. "Well," he started, staring at the signature now upon his papers, "I suppose that went... alright." It wasn't exactly what he anticipated, though his gut nagged him that this was good; he had something better now. The fauna fae exhaled, letting his shoulders relax. He flashed a grin at Pasque, who, son of a king of not, was infinitely less overwhelming than Goldhorn. "it is definitely time to go," Josurr asserted, playfully nudging Pasque with his elbow as he walked past him. Who knew what else they'd find the longer they lingered behind the golden doors, and Josurr had had his fill.
1 2