Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone here learning a language?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I'm currently learning German, but I'm hoping to learn Japanese later on.
I'm currently learning German, but I'm hoping to learn Japanese later on.
MUYNhfy.png
QRVupBA.png ACOZFAh.png hh5n4WA.png

tumblr_p14ugnvISB1v0ohcpo1_500.gif
[quote name="Aesalon" date=2016-12-31 15:19:48] I've been learning french since kindergarten! God bless Canadian schools, am I right? French is all fine and dandy until *shudders* verbs [/quote] God bless Canada. French was easy for me. But now im tired of it because in school now, IM BEING TAUGHT THE SAME. DANG.THING I learned in kindergarten.... Now I want to learn japanese.
Aesalon wrote on 2016-12-31:
I've been learning french since kindergarten! God bless Canadian schools, am I right?

French is all fine and dandy until

*shudders*

verbs
God bless Canada. French was easy for me. But now im tired of it because in school now, IM BEING TAUGHT THE SAME. DANG.THING I learned in kindergarten.... Now I want to learn japanese.
tumblr_ozp7mdeVwC1w8xkufo5_250.png
I'm learning Japanese. I'd love to learn German sometime in the future.
I'm learning Japanese. I'd love to learn German sometime in the future.

WNKiucd.png
LEpJMnn.png
dT9HQge.png
bX96R21.png
UVJYCUl.png
I'm learning Chinese at school, Arabic through a Johns Hopkins program, and Russian and Norwegian through Duolingo. I have a rather intense fascination with language... In the future I want to learn Greek, Icelandic, Hungarian, Marathi, and something Polynesian (haven't decided yet). I'll add more to the list as I learn the languages; obviously this is a very long-term plan.

Chinese is fun, and the grammar is super easy. The characters aren't too hard if you learn the proper stroke orders. I'm lucky because my school has a lot of Chinese students, so I get daily exposure.

I'm not really focusing on Arabic, but it is interesting. Reading the alphabet takes some getting used to, but once you do it's very easy to figure out exactly how an unfamiliar word should sound. A couple of the letters are a pain to pronounce, though.

Russian is probably my favorite of the languages I'm learning. I really enjoy the alphabet and the sounds. The grammar, however, is a nightmare. I'm getting better, but I still don't get all of it.

As a native English speaker, Norwegian is incredibly easy to learn. I started it on a whim, after I had begun all the others, but it's probably the first one I'm going to be fluent in. The gender aspect is a little wonky, as are some consonant blends, but that's the only hard part.
I'm learning Chinese at school, Arabic through a Johns Hopkins program, and Russian and Norwegian through Duolingo. I have a rather intense fascination with language... In the future I want to learn Greek, Icelandic, Hungarian, Marathi, and something Polynesian (haven't decided yet). I'll add more to the list as I learn the languages; obviously this is a very long-term plan.

Chinese is fun, and the grammar is super easy. The characters aren't too hard if you learn the proper stroke orders. I'm lucky because my school has a lot of Chinese students, so I get daily exposure.

I'm not really focusing on Arabic, but it is interesting. Reading the alphabet takes some getting used to, but once you do it's very easy to figure out exactly how an unfamiliar word should sound. A couple of the letters are a pain to pronounce, though.

Russian is probably my favorite of the languages I'm learning. I really enjoy the alphabet and the sounds. The grammar, however, is a nightmare. I'm getting better, but I still don't get all of it.

As a native English speaker, Norwegian is incredibly easy to learn. I started it on a whim, after I had begun all the others, but it's probably the first one I'm going to be fluent in. The gender aspect is a little wonky, as are some consonant blends, but that's the only hard part.
MKMP7Ba.png
I want to someday try to learn Russian. It seems like a very interesting language. Anyone here have any tips? Or maybe share their experiences of learning? I've heard that certain things can be very difficult.
I want to someday try to learn Russian. It seems like a very interesting language. Anyone here have any tips? Or maybe share their experiences of learning? I've heard that certain things can be very difficult.
IMG_0247.jpg
I'm attempting to learn Japanese for the nth time.

We had to learn Survival Japanese for a semester in college and I tried to continue it, but it didn't really fly.
I'm attempting to learn Japanese for the nth time.

We had to learn Survival Japanese for a semester in college and I tried to continue it, but it didn't really fly.
Light Sprite
I am waiting for duolingo to make a thai program. It would really help supplement the classes that I took last year.
I am waiting for duolingo to make a thai program. It would really help supplement the classes that I took last year.
Japanese, I have to take it for school. It isn't that bad, I just have a hard time sometimes.
Japanese, I have to take it for school. It isn't that bad, I just have a hard time sometimes.
Vj0BLbc.png
Took a few years of French in high school, none of it really stuck though. And it was a really long time ago since I graduated high school in 2001 lol.

Currently I'm casually learning Japanese.
Took a few years of French in high school, none of it really stuck though. And it was a really long time ago since I graduated high school in 2001 lol.

Currently I'm casually learning Japanese.
tumblr_otxe4lVheo1wwx926o1_1280.jpg
i speak estonian natively, so english is technically also a foreign language to me, tho i speak it quite fluently by now (and i'm even ..attempting to major in english lang and lit in uni)

thennnn my third language is russian, learned it in school from 6th to 11th grade, tho i didn't have as much of an interest back then than i do now so the skill is still pretty cruddy both vocab-wise and grammar-wise, lol. i'm currently fiddling on it in duolingo, tho about a month ago i accidentally killed the 110-day streak i had, whoops. should pick it up again.
i'm gonna take a russian course in uni next school year also (a bit of some foreign language other than english is part of my major anyway for some reason, but i don't mind lol)

and i've learned a little of icelandic too, on memrise and icelandiconline, but i haven't bothered anymore for now because of focusing on russian more

and i'm apparently gonna learn latin next semester??? a course of latin for philologists. i'm intrigued.

...so there's that.

tbh i would also love to be able to speak the võro language(/dialect? ..regional language) well, it feels really home-y (i'm from võru country and my mom's roots are deep in here also, no idea about my dad), but i guess it's not a big priority for now hmm
i speak estonian natively, so english is technically also a foreign language to me, tho i speak it quite fluently by now (and i'm even ..attempting to major in english lang and lit in uni)

thennnn my third language is russian, learned it in school from 6th to 11th grade, tho i didn't have as much of an interest back then than i do now so the skill is still pretty cruddy both vocab-wise and grammar-wise, lol. i'm currently fiddling on it in duolingo, tho about a month ago i accidentally killed the 110-day streak i had, whoops. should pick it up again.
i'm gonna take a russian course in uni next school year also (a bit of some foreign language other than english is part of my major anyway for some reason, but i don't mind lol)

and i've learned a little of icelandic too, on memrise and icelandiconline, but i haven't bothered anymore for now because of focusing on russian more

and i'm apparently gonna learn latin next semester??? a course of latin for philologists. i'm intrigued.

...so there's that.

tbh i would also love to be able to speak the võro language(/dialect? ..regional language) well, it feels really home-y (i'm from võru country and my mom's roots are deep in here also, no idea about my dad), but i guess it's not a big priority for now hmm
a minimal doodle of a charcoal/periwinkle imperial with some matchy apparel lounging, with the text 'wow...' near her head she/her / frt+10

"have you tried drink water"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10