Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I got a Bird!!
1 2
my mom got me a early birthday gift she got me a bird its a parrotlet she got her from a breeder and she is down right beautiful shes white with a little blue on her head her name is Luna she is well tamed she doesn't bite she did scream a little while I was getting her out of the carrier she came today by USPS I will post daily pic's of her if anyone's interested heres little Luna <3

2lk47qc.jpg

(forgive me if the pic is lopsided its doing that to me a lot lately)
my mom got me a early birthday gift she got me a bird its a parrotlet she got her from a breeder and she is down right beautiful shes white with a little blue on her head her name is Luna she is well tamed she doesn't bite she did scream a little while I was getting her out of the carrier she came today by USPS I will post daily pic's of her if anyone's interested heres little Luna <3

2lk47qc.jpg

(forgive me if the pic is lopsided its doing that to me a lot lately)
rsz-rsz-1hatchery.png rsz-brewing.png art-shop-2.png B7aT9QH.png flB6EWm.png
@Snivy14
Congrats on the birb! Luna is adorable~ those colours <3
I used to have some parakeets but birdies aren't for me.
@Snivy14
Congrats on the birb! Luna is adorable~ those colours <3
I used to have some parakeets but birdies aren't for me.
2947.png Hiro
| Brazil | FR +4
Sornieth's #2 Seeker Orb connoisseur & collector
-> please ping me!
4e8c4d35dbfc48545837857d8907144346ebb180.gif
f261d312d3350311525c3447854e87c7d0c3b5ec.gif
thank you <3
thank you <3
Greetings from Earth! We call our species mammals.

Sarcasm aside, that's great news! Has your mom ever owned parrots before? Luna's a pretty li'l birb :>

I'll admit I've never taken care of any sort of parrot, but I do have a bit of experience with them in general and I've done buttloads of research. I'm going to inherit a yellow naped Amazon within the next ten years, so I've got to be prepared! Anyway, here are my tips:

-Be very observant of her body language. Take note of her posture, eyes, and the way she holds her feathers. Birds are very expressive, but not in ways humans can relate to. You'll have to learn from watching her.

-Bites are inevitable. Fortunately, your parrotlet can't take your thumb off like a macaw or cockatoo can, but she can probably break the skin. If you're bitten, stay calm, and try not to react. If Luna learns to expect a reaction from biting, she'll likely learn to repeat it. If she's a young bird, as soon as she reaches full maturity, she'll probably have a dramatic shift in behavior (and a craving for your flesh).

-Again, I'm not exactly sure about small parrots, but you'll likely have to clean up after her a lot. Parrots love to chew on things and they can be very destructive. Also, pretty much all birds throw their food everywhere and will manage to get poop on every flat surface of the house.

-Give them lots and lots of toys and out-of-cage time. Parrots are interactive pets by nature and will crave your attention! :D You might need to give Luna a day or two to adjust to her new environment before she really opens up, though.
Greetings from Earth! We call our species mammals.

Sarcasm aside, that's great news! Has your mom ever owned parrots before? Luna's a pretty li'l birb :>

I'll admit I've never taken care of any sort of parrot, but I do have a bit of experience with them in general and I've done buttloads of research. I'm going to inherit a yellow naped Amazon within the next ten years, so I've got to be prepared! Anyway, here are my tips:

-Be very observant of her body language. Take note of her posture, eyes, and the way she holds her feathers. Birds are very expressive, but not in ways humans can relate to. You'll have to learn from watching her.

-Bites are inevitable. Fortunately, your parrotlet can't take your thumb off like a macaw or cockatoo can, but she can probably break the skin. If you're bitten, stay calm, and try not to react. If Luna learns to expect a reaction from biting, she'll likely learn to repeat it. If she's a young bird, as soon as she reaches full maturity, she'll probably have a dramatic shift in behavior (and a craving for your flesh).

-Again, I'm not exactly sure about small parrots, but you'll likely have to clean up after her a lot. Parrots love to chew on things and they can be very destructive. Also, pretty much all birds throw their food everywhere and will manage to get poop on every flat surface of the house.

-Give them lots and lots of toys and out-of-cage time. Parrots are interactive pets by nature and will crave your attention! :D You might need to give Luna a day or two to adjust to her new environment before she really opens up, though.
image.png
OOOOH GOODNESS a biiiird she is so pretty, congrats *u*
Since we're handing out unsolicited advice, I'll tell you what I learned about my birds:
- interact with her a lot when she's young. It's really important, especially when you first get birds, even if they're already people-friendly. The first couple days, talk to her outside the cage, maybe put your hand in the cage without doing anything so she gets used to your presence.
- Introduce her to a lot of different things! This was the mistake I made with my birds...they'll rude on my shoulder all year but are afraid of running water XD Besides, if they're more comfortable with their surroundings, they're less likely to fly off and get themselves hurt. (True story)
- Budgies are messy! The first few weeks you might not experience it but then one day you'll realize there are seed hulls in a seven mile radius. That can't be helped, but you can potty train your birds (I've never done it but)
- Love her. Birds need a lot more attention than other cage animals... they need, like, personal connection.
- if you haven't read about blood feathers do it before one breaks and you wake up to horror in the birdcage and traumatize yourself and probably your bird for life lol

Probably things you alread knew but,bwoo! birds are so swell, hope you guys have fun
OOOOH GOODNESS a biiiird she is so pretty, congrats *u*
Since we're handing out unsolicited advice, I'll tell you what I learned about my birds:
- interact with her a lot when she's young. It's really important, especially when you first get birds, even if they're already people-friendly. The first couple days, talk to her outside the cage, maybe put your hand in the cage without doing anything so she gets used to your presence.
- Introduce her to a lot of different things! This was the mistake I made with my birds...they'll rude on my shoulder all year but are afraid of running water XD Besides, if they're more comfortable with their surroundings, they're less likely to fly off and get themselves hurt. (True story)
- Budgies are messy! The first few weeks you might not experience it but then one day you'll realize there are seed hulls in a seven mile radius. That can't be helped, but you can potty train your birds (I've never done it but)
- Love her. Birds need a lot more attention than other cage animals... they need, like, personal connection.
- if you haven't read about blood feathers do it before one breaks and you wake up to horror in the birdcage and traumatize yourself and probably your bird for life lol

Probably things you alread knew but,bwoo! birds are so swell, hope you guys have fun
iiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz04t.pngiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz085.pngiiiiiiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz0bq.png
thank you for the tips and tricks shes already getting messy LOL
thank you for the tips and tricks shes already getting messy LOL
Congrats on your new baby! Birds are a joy, but also hard work! May I ask what you're using to line her cage?
Congrats on your new baby! Birds are a joy, but also hard work! May I ask what you're using to line her cage?
@Chelo thank you I am using kaytee kay-kob litter
@Chelo thank you I am using kaytee kay-kob litter
WOW! Does she perch on humans?
WOW! Does she perch on humans?
@snivy14

Oooh, gotcha! I dunno if your cage has one of those bottom panels to keep your bird off of the litter, but if it does, you might consider using wax paper to line it! It's cheaper and easy to clean up imo.

I wish you and Luna the best, I bet you guys will have a great time bonding c:
@snivy14

Oooh, gotcha! I dunno if your cage has one of those bottom panels to keep your bird off of the litter, but if it does, you might consider using wax paper to line it! It's cheaper and easy to clean up imo.

I wish you and Luna the best, I bet you guys will have a great time bonding c:
1 2