Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things you hate in movies
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Cliches and tropes

Oh no, that woman is in trouble, someone rescue her!
Wow, that guy is a hero? He deserves a sexy girlfriend.
Orphans, dramatic pasts, blah blah blah, we see it coming people.
Cliches and tropes

Oh no, that woman is in trouble, someone rescue her!
Wow, that guy is a hero? He deserves a sexy girlfriend.
Orphans, dramatic pasts, blah blah blah, we see it coming people.
Waiting 24/7 for death's sweet release (of their next hot mixtape of course)
[quote name="WendigoNasty" date=2016-08-02 08:09:03] When the movie disrespects the source material. [/quote] This so much. I can't even get through How to Train Your Dragon because of this.
WendigoNasty wrote on 2016-08-02:
When the movie disrespects the source material.
This so much.

I can't even get through How to Train Your Dragon because of this.
My writing project.
The token queer death. How almost every lesbian ends up sad and miserable or dead. Stereotypes. Terrible jokes. Fake "computer geniuses" that basically just slap their hands like dead fish across the keyboard and suddenly "hack" into "super top secret databases".
The predictable bland heteronormative ending where they kiss and get married because it's not like they could want to live their own lives or be complete without eachother oh NO. The woman who has to be "rescued". Dog deaths. Traumatic animal parent deaths (Bambi, The Lion King, Nemo, etc.)
Really overly scary movies that you were not expecting to be scary (Coralline)
Prolonged silences or terrible soundtracks.
Queer baiting (Clouds of Sils Maria god that movie no)
Bad script. (Twilight or the new starwars movies before the latest one)
Just. Terrible messy plot. (Winterbone)
Whitewashing (Stonewall)

I think that's it for now. Grumble grumble. To end on a lighter note some movies I did enjoy were: Requiem for a dream, Gattaca, Girl with the dragon tattoo, Breaking the girls (it's so bad it's good) , Fight club, Ferris Bueller's day off, Equals, Suckerpunch, Star Trek: Beyond, Finding Dory, Fried Green Tomatoes, Juno
The token queer death. How almost every lesbian ends up sad and miserable or dead. Stereotypes. Terrible jokes. Fake "computer geniuses" that basically just slap their hands like dead fish across the keyboard and suddenly "hack" into "super top secret databases".
The predictable bland heteronormative ending where they kiss and get married because it's not like they could want to live their own lives or be complete without eachother oh NO. The woman who has to be "rescued". Dog deaths. Traumatic animal parent deaths (Bambi, The Lion King, Nemo, etc.)
Prolonged silences or terrible soundtracks.
Queer baiting (Clouds of Sils Maria god that movie no)
Bad script. (Twilight or the new starwars movies before the latest one)
Just. Terrible messy plot. (Winterbone)
Whitewashing (Stonewall)

I think that's it for now. Grumble grumble. To end on a lighter note some movies I did enjoy were: Requiem for a dream, Gattaca, Girl with the dragon tattoo, Breaking the girls (it's so bad it's good) , Fight club, Ferris Bueller's day off, Equals, Suckerpunch, Star Trek: Beyond, Finding Dory, Fried Green Tomatoes, Juno
1uHBJ.gif
When a character disappears or get replaced without any explanation.
When a character disappears or get replaced without any explanation.
6xSQv.gif
[quote name="Hek" date=2016-08-03 04:22:38] Really overly scary movies that you were not expecting to be scary (Coralline) [/quote] THIS. I swear there is no movie that has screwed me up more. I love dogs, but I will never look at a scottie dog the same way again. Before I started the movie I was singing happily, after I was having a panic attack in the basement. (A literal medical panic attack, I'm not just using the phrase for fun.)
Hek wrote on 2016-08-03:

THIS. I swear there is no movie that has screwed me up more. I love dogs, but I will never look at a scottie dog the same way again. Before I started the movie I was singing happily, after I was having a panic attack in the basement. (A literal medical panic attack, I'm not just using the phrase for fun.)
100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png100px-Noun_project_1110.svg.png
The only genre of movie I really hate is those ridiculously stupid comedies where the characters are purposely very dumb and rely on vapid humor (read: Stepbrothers, Talladega Nights, etc). I really hate that style of comedy to begin with. The characters are usually characters that have little intelligence or social skills and are just are terrible tropes attempting to get people to laugh. I can't stand those movies and of course my family always wants to watch them when I go to my parents' house once a week for dinner and movie night.

I don't mind romance at all in movies - if its well done. As long as it isn't just smooch omg did that bad guy almost got us lets spend 10 minutes sorting out our romantic and physical feelings for one another. If it has some depth or breadth, I'm all for it. If it's there just so they can have a completely unneeded and weak at best attempt at romance or make out sessions, I just sigh and shake my head.

Also really bad logic. I mean, come on. You aren't running into that dark room. No one being hunted by a criminal is going to explore the house the criminal was just in, in the dark, calling out their friend's name all loudly. That's not how this works. The characters see a baddie and all the sudden lose any sense of "hey maybe I should leave and also keep quiet". Nope.

One that really annoys me is how characters react if they get stabbed or shot. Especially shooting. One shot in the side (depending on location and bullet size aka a 50cal is going to do a wee bit more damage) isn't going to mean instant death. I'm sorry, being shot in a non-vital area from a pistol is going to be painful yes but you can still get up and move. A lot of movies act like "oh no they were shot in the meaty side, missing all organs. GO ON WITHOUT THEM!!!" Yes a shot to the heart or lung or skull will definitely do someone in, but so many movies way overestimate what it feels like to be shot and what it does to the body. Especially when a character is in fight or flight mode, they're not going to give up because someone shot a non-vital place, they're going to feel the natural pain-deadening your body gets when trying to save itself and they're going to keep moving. Knife attacks too. Again, if its not a vital place, put pressure on the wound and keep going if someone is coming behind you to continue the stabby action.

Also, how bad is the coordination of characters that the moment the enemy closes in they suddenly go all weak-legged and trip over nothing or over something real small right before the bad guy reaches them? No one trips this often IRL. Please. And don't trip then turn around and just wait for the person to reach you. Get your butt up and run!
The only genre of movie I really hate is those ridiculously stupid comedies where the characters are purposely very dumb and rely on vapid humor (read: Stepbrothers, Talladega Nights, etc). I really hate that style of comedy to begin with. The characters are usually characters that have little intelligence or social skills and are just are terrible tropes attempting to get people to laugh. I can't stand those movies and of course my family always wants to watch them when I go to my parents' house once a week for dinner and movie night.

I don't mind romance at all in movies - if its well done. As long as it isn't just smooch omg did that bad guy almost got us lets spend 10 minutes sorting out our romantic and physical feelings for one another. If it has some depth or breadth, I'm all for it. If it's there just so they can have a completely unneeded and weak at best attempt at romance or make out sessions, I just sigh and shake my head.

Also really bad logic. I mean, come on. You aren't running into that dark room. No one being hunted by a criminal is going to explore the house the criminal was just in, in the dark, calling out their friend's name all loudly. That's not how this works. The characters see a baddie and all the sudden lose any sense of "hey maybe I should leave and also keep quiet". Nope.

One that really annoys me is how characters react if they get stabbed or shot. Especially shooting. One shot in the side (depending on location and bullet size aka a 50cal is going to do a wee bit more damage) isn't going to mean instant death. I'm sorry, being shot in a non-vital area from a pistol is going to be painful yes but you can still get up and move. A lot of movies act like "oh no they were shot in the meaty side, missing all organs. GO ON WITHOUT THEM!!!" Yes a shot to the heart or lung or skull will definitely do someone in, but so many movies way overestimate what it feels like to be shot and what it does to the body. Especially when a character is in fight or flight mode, they're not going to give up because someone shot a non-vital place, they're going to feel the natural pain-deadening your body gets when trying to save itself and they're going to keep moving. Knife attacks too. Again, if its not a vital place, put pressure on the wound and keep going if someone is coming behind you to continue the stabby action.

Also, how bad is the coordination of characters that the moment the enemy closes in they suddenly go all weak-legged and trip over nothing or over something real small right before the bad guy reaches them? No one trips this often IRL. Please. And don't trip then turn around and just wait for the person to reach you. Get your butt up and run!
[quote]My personal movie pet peeve: I hate horror movies that mistake over-the-top violence and body horror for "scary." That's not scary, man, that's just really, really gross.[/quote] This SO much which is why I'm picky when it comes to this genre in general; movies that heavily rely on shock value versus actual plot tick me off. I actually think romantic subplots can be cute [i]if done correctly[/i]. Otherwise they're so horribly forced and the relationship feels nowhere near genuine.
Quote:
My personal movie pet peeve: I hate horror movies that mistake over-the-top violence and body horror for "scary." That's not scary, man, that's just really, really gross.

This SO much which is why I'm picky when it comes to this genre in general; movies that heavily rely on shock value versus actual plot tick me off.

I actually think romantic subplots can be cute if done correctly. Otherwise they're so horribly forced and the relationship feels nowhere near genuine.
She/Her

plague_banner.png
+ Pinging OK, Chill, I play to enjoy cute, funny Dergs and admire other's creativity.
It's always super disappointing to me when movies can't seem to decide if they want to be straight-up comedy or if they want to be more plot-heavy. Kung Fu Panda 3 wasn't bad, but compared to the first two KFP movies (which I love), I thought it was... kind of a letdown. ;; They couldn't quite strike the right balance between the funny moments and the serious ones-- one minute there's a toilet humor joke; the next minute Po's dad is sadly reminiscing about losing his wife. I really wanted to like the movie, but the moments like that just felt so jarring.
It's always super disappointing to me when movies can't seem to decide if they want to be straight-up comedy or if they want to be more plot-heavy. Kung Fu Panda 3 wasn't bad, but compared to the first two KFP movies (which I love), I thought it was... kind of a letdown. ;; They couldn't quite strike the right balance between the funny moments and the serious ones-- one minute there's a toilet humor joke; the next minute Po's dad is sadly reminiscing about losing his wife. I really wanted to like the movie, but the moments like that just felt so jarring.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
- Famous singers / youtubers etc. who have no acting experience getting main parts in movies/shows so it'll get more views and popularity.
- "You thought I died when I fell off that cliff above a lava pit with a broken leg? NOPE!" plot "twists". like y tho
- Famous singers / youtubers etc. who have no acting experience getting main parts in movies/shows so it'll get more views and popularity.
- "You thought I died when I fell off that cliff above a lava pit with a broken leg? NOPE!" plot "twists". like y tho
(HEEEYY @Shpore u started this thread! ! hey whats up lol)

i hate the whole "makes you think that a character is dead and gives them a big emotional death scene but then like 5 minutes later it turns out nope they're not dead lol" thing it just annoys me. i especially hate it when the movie does it a whole bunch of times every time a character gets into a bad situation. like i saw this one movie where they did the death fake-out thing like 5 times. and its just like, you cant even worry about the characters anymore when they keep on doing that because then ur just like "eh they're not really dead they'll be back in a few seconds just watch ahahah"
(HEEEYY @Shpore u started this thread! ! hey whats up lol)

i hate the whole "makes you think that a character is dead and gives them a big emotional death scene but then like 5 minutes later it turns out nope they're not dead lol" thing it just annoys me. i especially hate it when the movie does it a whole bunch of times every time a character gets into a bad situation. like i saw this one movie where they did the death fake-out thing like 5 times. and its just like, you cant even worry about the characters anymore when they keep on doing that because then ur just like "eh they're not really dead they'll be back in a few seconds just watch ahahah"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9