Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Art Tablets for Digital Art
1 2
Hello, fellow artists and designers!

I'm currently looking into purchasing a new digital art tablet because mine is pretty old now and beginning to have issues. (I would strongly prefer to get one with a screen, as being able to draw directly on the device would be lovely. If you have any advice about these, please let me know!)

What tablet do you use / would you suggest? About how much did you pay for it, and do you think it was worth the price?
Hello, fellow artists and designers!

I'm currently looking into purchasing a new digital art tablet because mine is pretty old now and beginning to have issues. (I would strongly prefer to get one with a screen, as being able to draw directly on the device would be lovely. If you have any advice about these, please let me know!)

What tablet do you use / would you suggest? About how much did you pay for it, and do you think it was worth the price?
tumblr_inline_n6kdukB9pN1qlye38.gif
@Macaroonis
I believe the cheapest with a screen is probably yiynova? I got mine (yiynova msp19u) for $500 but I think they might be a bit cheaper now. It was DEFINITELY worth it oh my goodness I love it. heard the colors are better than on the cintiq, and it works just as well. also haven't had an issue with pen lag like I heard cintiqs can get.
@Macaroonis
I believe the cheapest with a screen is probably yiynova? I got mine (yiynova msp19u) for $500 but I think they might be a bit cheaper now. It was DEFINITELY worth it oh my goodness I love it. heard the colors are better than on the cintiq, and it works just as well. also haven't had an issue with pen lag like I heard cintiqs can get.
@Foleo

It looks a little clunky and difficult to use comfortably, but other than that, it looks nice! I've been considering a Cintiq (but goodness they cost an arm and a leg for even the tiniest ones), so this might be a good alternative.

Have you had any set-up issues or random powering off, etc.? Also, do you connect it to a Mac or PC?
@Foleo

It looks a little clunky and difficult to use comfortably, but other than that, it looks nice! I've been considering a Cintiq (but goodness they cost an arm and a leg for even the tiniest ones), so this might be a good alternative.

Have you had any set-up issues or random powering off, etc.? Also, do you connect it to a Mac or PC?
@Macaroonis hm I've never had an issue with it being clunky or anything but I don't know what you're looking for haha. but nope! never any issues with either of those. actually setup was a liiittle bit of a hassle but it was just getting the right settings so that each monitor displayed different things. I have a PC :o
@Macaroonis hm I've never had an issue with it being clunky or anything but I don't know what you're looking for haha. but nope! never any issues with either of those. actually setup was a liiittle bit of a hassle but it was just getting the right settings so that each monitor displayed different things. I have a PC :o
I have an Intuos (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Medium-CTH680-Version/dp/B00EN27UC2/ref=sr_1_17?srs=2530755011&ie=UTF8&qid=1467166981&sr=8-17&keywords=intuos) that my husband got me for my birthday last year to replace my ancient and very well-used Graphire 3. I like it a lot; better pressure sensitivity, responsiveness and compatibility with modern computers/programs.

The one gripe I have is that the nibs wear down really quickly compared to the old Graphire, but replacements are cheap and they have special covers to help reduce nib wear.

I have an Intuos (this one: https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Medium-CTH680-Version/dp/B00EN27UC2/ref=sr_1_17?srs=2530755011&ie=UTF8&qid=1467166981&sr=8-17&keywords=intuos) that my husband got me for my birthday last year to replace my ancient and very well-used Graphire 3. I like it a lot; better pressure sensitivity, responsiveness and compatibility with modern computers/programs.

The one gripe I have is that the nibs wear down really quickly compared to the old Graphire, but replacements are cheap and they have special covers to help reduce nib wear.

@Foleo

That's awesome then! I'll definitely look into it more before deciding whether or not I jump for a Cintiq. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

@extinct

Very nice tablet! My old one was a bit like that one, and it was very nice to use, even with the learning curve it came with (i.e. not looking while drawing).

Some questions, if you don't mind: Is the set-up pretty simple? Have you had any major issues with it (lag, random glitches, etc.)? Do you use it with Mac or PC?

Thank you for responding!
@Foleo

That's awesome then! I'll definitely look into it more before deciding whether or not I jump for a Cintiq. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

@extinct

Very nice tablet! My old one was a bit like that one, and it was very nice to use, even with the learning curve it came with (i.e. not looking while drawing).

Some questions, if you don't mind: Is the set-up pretty simple? Have you had any major issues with it (lag, random glitches, etc.)? Do you use it with Mac or PC?

Thank you for responding!
@Macaroonis no problem! hmu if you have any other questions about it!
@Macaroonis no problem! hmu if you have any other questions about it!
@macroonis - Probably totally out of your price range, but work threw a surface book at me for art purposes and holy dang is it a nice machine. It switches from tablet to laptop mode with a button push, the pen sticks to it with a magnet, the pressure sensitivity is spot on, and you can put the screen/tablet part back on the base either backwards or forwards, so you can have an angled surface. Like a tiny drafting table. I was wary, but I love it. Bonus? It makes coli so easy.
@macroonis - Probably totally out of your price range, but work threw a surface book at me for art purposes and holy dang is it a nice machine. It switches from tablet to laptop mode with a button push, the pen sticks to it with a magnet, the pressure sensitivity is spot on, and you can put the screen/tablet part back on the base either backwards or forwards, so you can have an angled surface. Like a tiny drafting table. I was wary, but I love it. Bonus? It makes coli so easy.
Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group
@Macroonis
Barging into this conversation about yiynovas (Hi @Foleo I'm not a stalker) to add my 2 cents because I have the same tablet and Foleo tends to kind of suck at weighing the pros and cons of things he likes.

As I think the upsides to buying a yiynova over a cintiq should be fairly obvious (seriously, $450 vs $1,800) I will be focusing on downsides. Of note however is that the yiynova weighs ~10lbs compared to the cintiqs ~20lbs, which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. Definitely a good thing for Foleo who has atrocious drawing habits and just puts the thing in his lap to draw. What the hell, Foleo.

First off, the pen requires batteries. Fairly straightforward. The batteries last a very long time though so there's that.

Second, cables. Just like the cintiq the wacom requires 3. Unlike the cintiq, for some reason the yiynova uses a VGA cable. Seriously. Why a VGA cable? Who even uses VGA cables anymore? These guys do, apparently. You might need an adapter, you might not. I don't know the situation with your PC setup, after all. What you WILL probably need are extension cords, unless you're using a laptop, because the cables for the yiynova are very short. In addition unlike the cintiq's cables the yiynova's are attached directly to the screen, so if you manage to damage the wires somehow. Well. Tough luck. Moving on.

Third and honestly probably the really, only important difference between a cintiq and yiynova: the display resolution for a yiynova is smaller. Much, much smaller. The cintiq will display at 1920 x 1200, but the yiynova only goes up to 1440 x 900. What kind of wonky *** resolution is that?? I haven't got a clue. That's the msp19u, though. I hear the mvp22u goes up to 1920 x 1080. I can't tell you more than that, however, since I obviously don't have any personal experience with it. At $750 though it's probably worth looking into if this is your only concern.

Finally, I've gotten an annoying error that I have yet to be able to find a solution for: the driver will stop recognizing my pen when I turn my computer off. I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver every time I turn my computer off, which is really only a hassle because installing the driver requires restarting the computer. It's only a minor inconvenience to do the reinstall when you turn your computer on for the day, but I can certainly see the possibility of this error occurring to you (however slight the odds) being a deal breaker if you have a computer that takes a year and a half on startup. Putting your computer in sleep mode instead of shutting it off entirely can circumvent the problem, but only for a few days. After a seemingly random amount of time the driver will simply stop registering the pen again.

Now before you let this problem scare you away from buying a yiynova, keep in mind that it seems to be an astonishingly rare error. I've only been able to find two or three mentions of anyone else getting a similar error in my searches, and Foleo has never encountered this problem or similar despite owning his yiynova for at least three times as long as I've had mine. Also that I...haven't contacted customer support because I'm a baby who will avoid human contact if it isn't absolutely necessary and I don't think it's that much of an inconvenience whoops.

tl;dr for nearly a fourth of the price it's honestly a fantastic deal. As long as you don't win the bad luck lottery the downsides are mostly minor quality of life issues, with the exception of the display resolution which I know can be a real deal breaker for people used to working with bigger resolutions.

Good god this ended up being longer than I meant for it to be. Sorry lol.

Edit: OH MAN I almost forgot. The optimum viewing angle for the yiynova is smaller than the cintiq's, which means that you have less leeway before colors start appearing wonky. I haven't actually had a problem with this, however.
@Macroonis
Barging into this conversation about yiynovas (Hi @Foleo I'm not a stalker) to add my 2 cents because I have the same tablet and Foleo tends to kind of suck at weighing the pros and cons of things he likes.

As I think the upsides to buying a yiynova over a cintiq should be fairly obvious (seriously, $450 vs $1,800) I will be focusing on downsides. Of note however is that the yiynova weighs ~10lbs compared to the cintiqs ~20lbs, which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. Definitely a good thing for Foleo who has atrocious drawing habits and just puts the thing in his lap to draw. What the hell, Foleo.

First off, the pen requires batteries. Fairly straightforward. The batteries last a very long time though so there's that.

Second, cables. Just like the cintiq the wacom requires 3. Unlike the cintiq, for some reason the yiynova uses a VGA cable. Seriously. Why a VGA cable? Who even uses VGA cables anymore? These guys do, apparently. You might need an adapter, you might not. I don't know the situation with your PC setup, after all. What you WILL probably need are extension cords, unless you're using a laptop, because the cables for the yiynova are very short. In addition unlike the cintiq's cables the yiynova's are attached directly to the screen, so if you manage to damage the wires somehow. Well. Tough luck. Moving on.

Third and honestly probably the really, only important difference between a cintiq and yiynova: the display resolution for a yiynova is smaller. Much, much smaller. The cintiq will display at 1920 x 1200, but the yiynova only goes up to 1440 x 900. What kind of wonky *** resolution is that?? I haven't got a clue. That's the msp19u, though. I hear the mvp22u goes up to 1920 x 1080. I can't tell you more than that, however, since I obviously don't have any personal experience with it. At $750 though it's probably worth looking into if this is your only concern.

Finally, I've gotten an annoying error that I have yet to be able to find a solution for: the driver will stop recognizing my pen when I turn my computer off. I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver every time I turn my computer off, which is really only a hassle because installing the driver requires restarting the computer. It's only a minor inconvenience to do the reinstall when you turn your computer on for the day, but I can certainly see the possibility of this error occurring to you (however slight the odds) being a deal breaker if you have a computer that takes a year and a half on startup. Putting your computer in sleep mode instead of shutting it off entirely can circumvent the problem, but only for a few days. After a seemingly random amount of time the driver will simply stop registering the pen again.

Now before you let this problem scare you away from buying a yiynova, keep in mind that it seems to be an astonishingly rare error. I've only been able to find two or three mentions of anyone else getting a similar error in my searches, and Foleo has never encountered this problem or similar despite owning his yiynova for at least three times as long as I've had mine. Also that I...haven't contacted customer support because I'm a baby who will avoid human contact if it isn't absolutely necessary and I don't think it's that much of an inconvenience whoops.

tl;dr for nearly a fourth of the price it's honestly a fantastic deal. As long as you don't win the bad luck lottery the downsides are mostly minor quality of life issues, with the exception of the display resolution which I know can be a real deal breaker for people used to working with bigger resolutions.

Good god this ended up being longer than I meant for it to be. Sorry lol.

Edit: OH MAN I almost forgot. The optimum viewing angle for the yiynova is smaller than the cintiq's, which means that you have less leeway before colors start appearing wonky. I haven't actually had a problem with this, however.
@macroonis

I use a pc, and other than sometimes having latency that's more a program issue than a tablet one, I've got no real complaints. I use Photoshop cs5, paint tool sai and manga studio 5 and they all work well with the intuos I have.

Setup was simple enough. Plug it in, use the setup CD or the driver suite from wacom.com, let it do its thing and you're set.
@macroonis

I use a pc, and other than sometimes having latency that's more a program issue than a tablet one, I've got no real complaints. I use Photoshop cs5, paint tool sai and manga studio 5 and they all work well with the intuos I have.

Setup was simple enough. Plug it in, use the setup CD or the driver suite from wacom.com, let it do its thing and you're set.
1 2