Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Exploding Head Syndrome
1 2
Does anyone in this community suffer from this horrible thing (yes, it's real and not made-up. Search it up!)? It is one of the worst ways to wake up in the morning, I swear... And I experience it SO often (and it's always a REALLY LOUD door slam that I hear).
Does anyone in this community suffer from this horrible thing (yes, it's real and not made-up. Search it up!)? It is one of the worst ways to wake up in the morning, I swear... And I experience it SO often (and it's always a REALLY LOUD door slam that I hear).
39262092.png
I don't have it but when do you hear it? like what are you doing at that time when it occurs?
I don't have it but when do you hear it? like what are you doing at that time when it occurs?
@Aquarithyst
I hate this, drives my husband nuts because I wake up and want him to go search the house, even though we know it's just me. :(

Do you find your head painful afterwards?
@Aquarithyst
I hate this, drives my husband nuts because I wake up and want him to go search the house, even though we know it's just me. :(

Do you find your head painful afterwards?
1L5TGl1.pngjn0pAcU.pngNVgCjtR.pngghAVYGe.pngx3J6SUS.png
oh my gosh, this has a name? how often does it have to happen in order for it to be classified as 'having it', if that's even how it works? every once in a while i'll be right about to fall asleep or almost asleep and i'll be shocked awake by a really loud, indescribable noise, i guess kind of like something falling or slamming?
oh my gosh, this has a name? how often does it have to happen in order for it to be classified as 'having it', if that's even how it works? every once in a while i'll be right about to fall asleep or almost asleep and i'll be shocked awake by a really loud, indescribable noise, i guess kind of like something falling or slamming?
@Kehre For me, it's usually in the middle of the night or early in the morning. And I'm always sound asleep right before it happens.

@MythNomer No, I just feel completely panicked when it happens but it doesn't leave me with any physical pain.

@matejko Ya it does lol! I didn't know either for most of my lifetime it's happened (until I saw it in a YouTube video). And I'm sure about the frequency because it happens at COMPLETELY random times for me. But yes, it looks like you've experienced it before!

@Anak I think it also applies to going to sleep, just as long as it's sleep-linked.
@Kehre For me, it's usually in the middle of the night or early in the morning. And I'm always sound asleep right before it happens.

@MythNomer No, I just feel completely panicked when it happens but it doesn't leave me with any physical pain.

@matejko Ya it does lol! I didn't know either for most of my lifetime it's happened (until I saw it in a YouTube video). And I'm sure about the frequency because it happens at COMPLETELY random times for me. But yes, it looks like you've experienced it before!

@Anak I think it also applies to going to sleep, just as long as it's sleep-linked.
39262092.png
Oh. I have that o-o I thought it was just me being paranoid at night.
Oh. I have that o-o I thought it was just me being paranoid at night.
I've gotten this a few times, but not often. It's like a really loud mechanical ZZHOOOMM right when i'm falling asleep. Like a really good space ship sound.
I've gotten this a few times, but not often. It's like a really loud mechanical ZZHOOOMM right when i'm falling asleep. Like a really good space ship sound.
fBymyGd.jpg
@Aquarithyst

I have it. It usually happens when I am under a lot of stress though. It happens right before I go to sleep and it causes this horrible screeching noise. Like those old AOL modems when they start up, but much louder. I usually have anxiety after I wake up and I can't go back to sleep for a few hours.

If I do try and go back to sleep immediately afterwards, I either get woken up by EHS again or I have sleep paralysis. I hate them both so much.
@Aquarithyst

I have it. It usually happens when I am under a lot of stress though. It happens right before I go to sleep and it causes this horrible screeching noise. Like those old AOL modems when they start up, but much louder. I usually have anxiety after I wake up and I can't go back to sleep for a few hours.

If I do try and go back to sleep immediately afterwards, I either get woken up by EHS again or I have sleep paralysis. I hate them both so much.
CLICK MY HECKING EGGS
... Please?
?k9XYy=party.png
Sometimes I hear noises like a trumpet or a flat muffled tone that lasts for a fraction of a second, I think that is normal for most people when going to sleep if your still conscious as you enter a different stage in sleep especially when dreams begin to form
Sometimes I hear noises like a trumpet or a flat muffled tone that lasts for a fraction of a second, I think that is normal for most people when going to sleep if your still conscious as you enter a different stage in sleep especially when dreams begin to form
I've only experienced it once. A few years ago I had a dream that I encountered the ghost of my grandma in a hallway and it felt really ominous and bad and then a bright light flashed and a loud artificial-sounding buzzing woke me up. I woke up sweating and with my heart pounding. I'd read about exploding head syndrome before so I knew what was going on, at least. I hope that was only an isolated incident because it was definitely terrifying.
I've only experienced it once. A few years ago I had a dream that I encountered the ghost of my grandma in a hallway and it felt really ominous and bad and then a bright light flashed and a loud artificial-sounding buzzing woke me up. I woke up sweating and with my heart pounding. I'd read about exploding head syndrome before so I knew what was going on, at least. I hope that was only an isolated incident because it was definitely terrifying.
1 2