Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | I really love the new colors, but...
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22
Maize makes me want to cry now. My custom progen has maize wings, and it looks so bad. I am guessing the basic breeds were the first created, and their colors came first. So why "update" maize to be something different? Why not standardize to the maize that was already there :( Before: [img]http://i.imgur.com/gMKU8id.png[/img] After: [img]http://i.imgur.com/9JbVv0b.png[/img]
Maize makes me want to cry now. My custom progen has maize wings, and it looks so bad. I am guessing the basic breeds were the first created, and their colors came first. So why "update" maize to be something different? Why not standardize to the maize that was already there :(

Before:
gMKU8id.png

After:
9JbVv0b.png
ACCENT SHOP 9Y3Cg0F.gif Be excellent to each other.
[quote name="Ningyo" date=2016-06-08 20:09:33] I just-- I dunno, man. We have people who hate their Custom Progens now because the update super-saturated the shading, colours, and lineart. ;; That's supposed to be a dragon you made because you liked the colours. It's the only custom you get, and now they're being suddenly changed with little to no warning and becoming ugly to the people who carefully picked those colours out... [/quote] So much this. When I created my progen [i]almost three years[/i] ago, I spent almost an entire day going through all the colors. Maize was perfect, sort of an off white, not this garish off-yellow. This color shift has really hurt Flight Rising's long time users, the ones that have had dragons for [i]years[/i] now. You can't just update colors on dragons that people have had for years.
Ningyo wrote on 2016-06-08:
I just-- I dunno, man. We have people who hate their Custom Progens now because the update super-saturated the shading, colours, and lineart. ;; That's supposed to be a dragon you made because you liked the colours. It's the only custom you get, and now they're being suddenly changed with little to no warning and becoming ugly to the people who carefully picked those colours out...

So much this. When I created my progen almost three years ago, I spent almost an entire day going through all the colors. Maize was perfect, sort of an off white, not this garish off-yellow. This color shift has really hurt Flight Rising's long time users, the ones that have had dragons for years now. You can't just update colors on dragons that people have had for years.
ACCENT SHOP 9Y3Cg0F.gif Be excellent to each other.
I kinda have to agree. I wish they had left the old colors alone. I was really excited for the new colors, but now that it's actually happened I feel weirdly apathetic towards the dragon collecting aspect of the site. The dragons I put so much effort into have changed in ways I'm not very fond of, and now I just can't bring myself to want to put any effort into new dragons with new colors. The vistas have vastly outshown the color expansion for me. Maybe once some time passes or a new breed/gene comes out my interest will be renewed, but for now I think I'm done gathering dragons.

Nothing against the people who worked on this expansion. It was a lot of work and it went live relatively smoothly. You all did an amazing job.

I've just been trying to figure out why my excitement kind of vanished as soon as it launched, and I think the old color changes are why.
I kinda have to agree. I wish they had left the old colors alone. I was really excited for the new colors, but now that it's actually happened I feel weirdly apathetic towards the dragon collecting aspect of the site. The dragons I put so much effort into have changed in ways I'm not very fond of, and now I just can't bring myself to want to put any effort into new dragons with new colors. The vistas have vastly outshown the color expansion for me. Maybe once some time passes or a new breed/gene comes out my interest will be renewed, but for now I think I'm done gathering dragons.

Nothing against the people who worked on this expansion. It was a lot of work and it went live relatively smoothly. You all did an amazing job.

I've just been trying to figure out why my excitement kind of vanished as soon as it launched, and I think the old color changes are why.
Wua5ROf.png
Man, this is such a shame.

I really hope the seafoam change turns out to be a bug. The way the ripple is so faint, it's got to be, right?

One big problem with it is a lot of people are really careful about choosing colour and gene combos for dragons based on them being complimentary or matching and accent. Then once you've taken the time to carefully select apparel that compliments the colours, and maybe an accent applied, matched the dragon to their familiar...

A change to the saturation or accent tones of a single colour can throw all of that off. Suddenly the tert doesn't go with the primary, the colour on the clothing clashes rather than complimenting and the whole dragon looks a bit naff.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the changed colours look really flat now? The shadows are so light that they barely stand out, making the dragons look kind of textureless.
Man, this is such a shame.

I really hope the seafoam change turns out to be a bug. The way the ripple is so faint, it's got to be, right?

One big problem with it is a lot of people are really careful about choosing colour and gene combos for dragons based on them being complimentary or matching and accent. Then once you've taken the time to carefully select apparel that compliments the colours, and maybe an accent applied, matched the dragon to their familiar...

A change to the saturation or accent tones of a single colour can throw all of that off. Suddenly the tert doesn't go with the primary, the colour on the clothing clashes rather than complimenting and the whole dragon looks a bit naff.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the changed colours look really flat now? The shadows are so light that they barely stand out, making the dragons look kind of textureless.
Been away for like 5 years, just sliding back into it now.

Q4qOD.gifQMBQi.gifX3NdI.gifXtsnB.gifIUWtx.gifvq3ZZ.gif
@UristMcD Flatter? Man I thought they got more vibrant, more 'pop' and not always in a good way. (Especially Ivory!) This poor guy's wings, man. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=938469] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/9385/938469_350.png[/img] [/url] His swampgrass theme is gone. I'm not saying Spring was a beautiful color before but it at least it was more subtle/ reminded me of reeds in the fall. Now it's the inside of a rotting squash or some sorta awful baby food color. Blegh. On the flip side [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1811129] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/18112/1811129_350.png[/img] [/url] ICE RIPPLE WOW. The transition of color from her torso to her tail and shoulders used to be really bland. Disney Frozen logic struck its magic on her, now and she's an ice queen with snowy wings. Also White Seraph went the darker route on the inner wing color [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1197860] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/11979/1197860_350.png[/img] [/url] So now I have to breed a Moon Seraph. Though considering he's [i]supposed[/i] to have brown eyes anyway, that's not all bad.
@UristMcD Flatter? Man I thought they got more vibrant, more 'pop' and not always in a good way. (Especially Ivory!)

This poor guy's wings, man.

938469_350.png

His swampgrass theme is gone. I'm not saying Spring was a beautiful color before but it at least it was more subtle/ reminded me of reeds in the fall. Now it's the inside of a rotting squash or some sorta awful baby food color. Blegh.

On the flip side

1811129_350.png

ICE RIPPLE WOW. The transition of color from her torso to her tail and shoulders used to be really bland. Disney Frozen logic struck its magic on her, now and she's an ice queen with snowy wings.

Also White Seraph went the darker route on the inner wing color

1197860_350.png

So now I have to breed a Moon Seraph. Though considering he's supposed to have brown eyes anyway, that's not all bad.
@Ritter I might be using the wrong word. I just mean that the shadows stand out a lot less now, which to me gives everything less dimension and depth? Like, looking at the wings in Cru's images on page 1 of this thread... [img]https://65.media.tumblr.com/35a8d92f85598b52b08d4c045fe1bfc7/tumblr_inline_o8h8rc1djG1qzt4nm_540.png[/img] [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/178c9f4dfcd557e93ab9d29e37c6095e/tumblr_inline_o8h8qdXOFY1qzt4nm_540.png[/img] Where did *all the shadows* go?
@Ritter

I might be using the wrong word. I just mean that the shadows stand out a lot less now, which to me gives everything less dimension and depth?

Like, looking at the wings in Cru's images on page 1 of this thread...

tumblr_inline_o8h8rc1djG1qzt4nm_540.png
tumblr_inline_o8h8qdXOFY1qzt4nm_540.png

Where did *all the shadows* go?
Been away for like 5 years, just sliding back into it now.

Q4qOD.gifQMBQi.gifX3NdI.gifXtsnB.gifIUWtx.gifvq3ZZ.gif
[quote name="UristMcD" date=2016-06-11 10:17:25] Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the changed colours look really flat now? The shadows are so light that they barely stand out, making the dragons look kind of textureless. [/quote] Yes. This is exactly what the over-saturation has done. Thank you for putting it into words. And I can't get over how gorgeous Cru used to look in the post above. :(
UristMcD wrote on 2016-06-11:

Yes. This is exactly what the over-saturation has done. Thank you for putting it into words.

And I can't get over how gorgeous Cru used to look in the post above. :(
RBXYq.gifarcane_small_by_vamonkea-dai56rq.pngovY2q5W.pngarcane_small_by_vamonkea-dai56rq.png4BVfJ.gif
[quote name="benalene" date=2016-06-11 08:41:47] [quote name="Ningyo" date=2016-06-08 20:09:33] I just-- I dunno, man. We have people who hate their Custom Progens now because the update super-saturated the shading, colours, and lineart. ;; That's supposed to be a dragon you made because you liked the colours. It's the only custom you get, and now they're being suddenly changed with little to no warning and becoming ugly to the people who carefully picked those colours out... [/quote] So much this. When I created my progen [i]almost three years[/i] ago, I spent almost an entire day going through all the colors. Maize was perfect, sort of an off white, not this garish off-yellow. This color shift has really hurt Flight Rising's long time users, the ones that have had dragons for [i]years[/i] now. You can't just update colors on dragons that people have had for years. [/quote] I couldn't agree more. This is a April Fools joke, right? A bad dream? No? Rose on tundras makes me wear sunglasses now
benalene wrote on 2016-06-11:
Ningyo wrote on 2016-06-08:
I just-- I dunno, man. We have people who hate their Custom Progens now because the update super-saturated the shading, colours, and lineart. ;; That's supposed to be a dragon you made because you liked the colours. It's the only custom you get, and now they're being suddenly changed with little to no warning and becoming ugly to the people who carefully picked those colours out...

So much this. When I created my progen almost three years ago, I spent almost an entire day going through all the colors. Maize was perfect, sort of an off white, not this garish off-yellow. This color shift has really hurt Flight Rising's long time users, the ones that have had dragons for years now. You can't just update colors on dragons that people have had for years.

I couldn't agree more. This is a April Fools joke, right? A bad dream? No? Rose on tundras makes me wear sunglasses now
leuke-plaatjes-animaties-draakjes-786173942.gif
I thought with how vibrant tthe new colors are that they would quickly overtake the new ones with how much more saturated they were. I'm glad the old colors were updated to be able.to compete.
I thought with how vibrant tthe new colors are that they would quickly overtake the new ones with how much more saturated they were. I'm glad the old colors were updated to be able.to compete.
18.jpg
(As interesting as new colors are, I must say I'm not a fan of how inorganic and saturated the shading makes everything look now. At all. I much favor the more dull shading. Namely the lighter shades seems to be especially bright.
I'm terribly sorry, I feel like an ungrateful brat but this is a huge concern of mine. I always try to not be striving backwards, but I do find the updated dragons plain... unappealing in general.)
(As interesting as new colors are, I must say I'm not a fan of how inorganic and saturated the shading makes everything look now. At all. I much favor the more dull shading. Namely the lighter shades seems to be especially bright.
I'm terribly sorry, I feel like an ungrateful brat but this is a huge concern of mine. I always try to not be striving backwards, but I do find the updated dragons plain... unappealing in general.)
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22