Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | NaNoWriMo! National Novel Writing Month
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15
@Gryphonlady
Yay short story! Join the rebel faction, we have cookies :D
@Gryphonlady
Yay short story! Join the rebel faction, we have cookies :D
Check out my Patreon!
I have done it for 3 years in a row (going on 4 with this coming one)....and failed every single time :( The closest I've come is halfway...and that was my first year. It's gotten progressively worse over the years. But this time I WILL finish this book, darnit. I'd probably finish faster if I didn't avoid it like the plague all 11 other months of the year. XP The thing does NOT want to be written, heh.

Anyway, my username over on the site is the same as here: VioletWhirlwind (I think. I'll have to double-check, but I have the same username almost everywhere I go on the internet, so...)
I have done it for 3 years in a row (going on 4 with this coming one)....and failed every single time :( The closest I've come is halfway...and that was my first year. It's gotten progressively worse over the years. But this time I WILL finish this book, darnit. I'd probably finish faster if I didn't avoid it like the plague all 11 other months of the year. XP The thing does NOT want to be written, heh.

Anyway, my username over on the site is the same as here: VioletWhirlwind (I think. I'll have to double-check, but I have the same username almost everywhere I go on the internet, so...)
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
http://nanowrimo.org/forums/writing-groups-and-clubs/threads/119422

Just started up a group over on the forums over there, drop by and say hi!
http://nanowrimo.org/forums/writing-groups-and-clubs/threads/119422

Just started up a group over on the forums over there, drop by and say hi!
Check out my Patreon!
I knew there had to be a Nano board running around somewhere! Silly me, assuming it was in the creative board.

I'm Lunarflight over on Nano. This'll be my sixth-- No, wait, my seventh year! This year I'm planning to do something a little different. Instead of just writing 50k for November, my goal is to finish an entire book in a month. I've got the plot of this book already decided and a headstart on some of the early stuff. So we'll see if I can get it all the way from point A to point Z with the 50k for Nano. Or more than 50k, if that's what it takes.

My link, for anyone who wants to stalk me.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lunarflight
I knew there had to be a Nano board running around somewhere! Silly me, assuming it was in the creative board.

I'm Lunarflight over on Nano. This'll be my sixth-- No, wait, my seventh year! This year I'm planning to do something a little different. Instead of just writing 50k for November, my goal is to finish an entire book in a month. I've got the plot of this book already decided and a headstart on some of the early stuff. So we'll see if I can get it all the way from point A to point Z with the 50k for Nano. Or more than 50k, if that's what it takes.

My link, for anyone who wants to stalk me.
http://nanowrimo.org/participants/lunarflight
VsoSnU5.png
Ooh... (Says something that I don't check the forums here as much as I should!) I'm brides_koneko on the NaNo site (and use the same username for camp as well) and I always attempt them ALL (I'm a fanfic writer during NaNo because it... seems to work? :P I get more out of it when i'm fanficcing. Hoping to get my second win (and hopefully without tech fail). :D)
Ooh... (Says something that I don't check the forums here as much as I should!) I'm brides_koneko on the NaNo site (and use the same username for camp as well) and I always attempt them ALL (I'm a fanfic writer during NaNo because it... seems to work? :P I get more out of it when i'm fanficcing. Hoping to get my second win (and hopefully without tech fail). :D)
We are the Dreamers United -- We dream together for a better future.
I always try, but I never seem to be able to get past 6-10k. Part of the problem may be half-formed premises and bad outlines, since I always hit a wall where I can't figure out how the plot is supposed to get from point A to point D, and how that correlates with points C, F, and Q. Thus, writers block for the rest of the year.

I'm trying to think of something, but my brain is off and all I can think of are Warcraft fanfictions, since that is where my brain goes when in shutdown mode.
And I'm actually getting just a tiny bit sick of writing about trolls.

Maybe I should resurrect one of my old ideas and start planning it out now. :U
I always try, but I never seem to be able to get past 6-10k. Part of the problem may be half-formed premises and bad outlines, since I always hit a wall where I can't figure out how the plot is supposed to get from point A to point D, and how that correlates with points C, F, and Q. Thus, writers block for the rest of the year.

I'm trying to think of something, but my brain is off and all I can think of are Warcraft fanfictions, since that is where my brain goes when in shutdown mode.
And I'm actually getting just a tiny bit sick of writing about trolls.

Maybe I should resurrect one of my old ideas and start planning it out now. :U
@Breaker
You might try writing out of order if you have trouble with the connective tissue bits of writing. Transition scenes are hard to write, so write the scenes that you actually see in your head and worry about how to hook them all up later.

What are some of the ideas you're thinking about?
@Breaker
You might try writing out of order if you have trouble with the connective tissue bits of writing. Transition scenes are hard to write, so write the scenes that you actually see in your head and worry about how to hook them all up later.

What are some of the ideas you're thinking about?
VsoSnU5.png
This will be my third year doing NaNo. I have written--and won--the past two years, and I'm hoping to make it a third. I write individual stories and histories set within the same universe, one that I've been building for a long time. Genre-wise, it's mostly science-fantasy.

I write this way for multiple reasons: I run a roleplay game for my friends set in this universe, and my forays into NaNo writing within it help to flesh out and increase the quality of the experience I am giving my players. That, and I am legitimately excited about this world, and the characters in it. I haven't been for a while.

I am a slow, methodical writer who can only write what I am feeling at the moment...so I jump from one section of planned plot to another on a whim. But this also means I will probably will never make very much beyond 50k a month. The base 1,667 words a day seems to work though.

I am Singerofstories on the NaNo site, and now I am off to update my profile.
This will be my third year doing NaNo. I have written--and won--the past two years, and I'm hoping to make it a third. I write individual stories and histories set within the same universe, one that I've been building for a long time. Genre-wise, it's mostly science-fantasy.

I write this way for multiple reasons: I run a roleplay game for my friends set in this universe, and my forays into NaNo writing within it help to flesh out and increase the quality of the experience I am giving my players. That, and I am legitimately excited about this world, and the characters in it. I haven't been for a while.

I am a slow, methodical writer who can only write what I am feeling at the moment...so I jump from one section of planned plot to another on a whim. But this also means I will probably will never make very much beyond 50k a month. The base 1,667 words a day seems to work though.

I am Singerofstories on the NaNo site, and now I am off to update my profile.
wMckWPx.png
@Lunarflight

That's an idea I've tried to do in the past to lesser success, but mostly because I worry about that connective tissue and it distracts me too much. This year, i think that I'll take your advice and once I pick one of my ideas to do, the important bits can get written and then I can tie them all together and play with the progression. Thanks.

There's four different ideas I'm thinking about bringing back. Only one of them has a read idea of what the story actually is.

1. Group of renegades/defectors have to bring down a tyrannical government run by a vain sorceress. Lots of magic. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic idea.

2. Modern-day secret society of dragons splits into different sects and turns in on itself. May or may not drag in human military actions. Not sure yet. Main character is recruited and "awakened" by the largest sect, the "traditional" dragons. Morals are challenged as the fighting heats up.

3. Exploration team is put together to be shot into space at an alien Earth-like planet to explore. There are various sapient races that inhabit the planet. Shortly after the humans' arrival, another species lands with the intent to take over the planet in a sort of Zerg-like way. The least developed idea.

4. I'll admit, this one sounds like it is almost a Harry Potter ripoff. Human kids are brought into a school for supernatural creatures that helps them assimilate into society, in hopes that they don't have to hide themselves one day. In addition to coping with different temperaments and confusing classes, creature kids start going insane due to the soul of an ancient evil corrupting them. Kids must investigate, destroy evil, save school, etc. The evil is definitely NOT Voldemort hidden in Professor Quirrell's turban. Promise.

Gods I hate how cliche these sound when listed like this lol.
I'm still kind of waffling between them, although I think I'm sort of waddling between ideas one and two, mostly because I haven't tried them for a NaNo year yet, and also because they've been around longer than three and four.
And maybe also because all this vampire/werewolf hype is making me sort of mad. There are more way more creatures than that who can be sexy.
@Lunarflight

That's an idea I've tried to do in the past to lesser success, but mostly because I worry about that connective tissue and it distracts me too much. This year, i think that I'll take your advice and once I pick one of my ideas to do, the important bits can get written and then I can tie them all together and play with the progression. Thanks.

There's four different ideas I'm thinking about bringing back. Only one of them has a read idea of what the story actually is.

1. Group of renegades/defectors have to bring down a tyrannical government run by a vain sorceress. Lots of magic. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic idea.

2. Modern-day secret society of dragons splits into different sects and turns in on itself. May or may not drag in human military actions. Not sure yet. Main character is recruited and "awakened" by the largest sect, the "traditional" dragons. Morals are challenged as the fighting heats up.

3. Exploration team is put together to be shot into space at an alien Earth-like planet to explore. There are various sapient races that inhabit the planet. Shortly after the humans' arrival, another species lands with the intent to take over the planet in a sort of Zerg-like way. The least developed idea.

4. I'll admit, this one sounds like it is almost a Harry Potter ripoff. Human kids are brought into a school for supernatural creatures that helps them assimilate into society, in hopes that they don't have to hide themselves one day. In addition to coping with different temperaments and confusing classes, creature kids start going insane due to the soul of an ancient evil corrupting them. Kids must investigate, destroy evil, save school, etc. The evil is definitely NOT Voldemort hidden in Professor Quirrell's turban. Promise.

Gods I hate how cliche these sound when listed like this lol.
I'm still kind of waffling between them, although I think I'm sort of waddling between ideas one and two, mostly because I haven't tried them for a NaNo year yet, and also because they've been around longer than three and four.
And maybe also because all this vampire/werewolf hype is making me sort of mad. There are more way more creatures than that who can be sexy.
@Breaker Nano is all about ignoring the hard bits and just putting down words wherever you can! All of those ideas sound pretty interesting! I'd suggest poking at the most developed one or the one that interests you most during October and see if you can't push it closer to a state of being writable. But when it comes time to actually do Nano... go with whichever one has your interest most on the first day. It happens to me pretty much every year, I'll be planning to write one novel all October and then, within 24 hours of the start of Nano, I will completely change which story I'm working on at the last minute. XD;; Every. Year. And I know what you mean about explaining ideas and sounding lame. I've been struggling to get a good write up of my novel for this year and mostly just keep squirming with embarrassment over the whole thing. @dreamersunited Nothin' wrong with fanfic and getting ALL the words out. @Metaphorphasis [quote] That, and I am legitimately excited about this world, and the characters in it.[/quote] Best reason to write a thing, especially for the wild rush that Nano is. Also, your user name is kinda awesome, FYI.
@Breaker
Nano is all about ignoring the hard bits and just putting down words wherever you can!

All of those ideas sound pretty interesting! I'd suggest poking at the most developed one or the one that interests you most during October and see if you can't push it closer to a state of being writable.

But when it comes time to actually do Nano... go with whichever one has your interest most on the first day. It happens to me pretty much every year, I'll be planning to write one novel all October and then, within 24 hours of the start of Nano, I will completely change which story I'm working on at the last minute. XD;; Every. Year.

And I know what you mean about explaining ideas and sounding lame. I've been struggling to get a good write up of my novel for this year and mostly just keep squirming with embarrassment over the whole thing.

@dreamersunited
Nothin' wrong with fanfic and getting ALL the words out.

@Metaphorphasis
Quote:
That, and I am legitimately excited about this world, and the characters in it.
Best reason to write a thing, especially for the wild rush that Nano is.

Also, your user name is kinda awesome, FYI.
VsoSnU5.png
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15