Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Disney Princesses
1 2
I'm doing this assignment for college where I have to compare and contrast the Disney movies to the original story and that got me thinking. Who's the most educated princess?

Off the top of my head I have to say Ariel since she is seen going to school at one point and seeing how she is royalty she probably goes to the best underwater school sea money can buy.

Who do you think is the most educated princess by today's standards and why? You don't have to expand if you don't want to but I would still like to know.

I am counting both official and unofficial princesses but not Star Wars, Marvel or anyone else Disney has bought..

Edit: I will count Mulan as a princess if you wish to include her.

Edit: Experience is now also added to the list. Also what about Jane? She went to Oxford in order to be apart of the trip right?
I'm doing this assignment for college where I have to compare and contrast the Disney movies to the original story and that got me thinking. Who's the most educated princess?

Off the top of my head I have to say Ariel since she is seen going to school at one point and seeing how she is royalty she probably goes to the best underwater school sea money can buy.

Who do you think is the most educated princess by today's standards and why? You don't have to expand if you don't want to but I would still like to know.

I am counting both official and unofficial princesses but not Star Wars, Marvel or anyone else Disney has bought..

Edit: I will count Mulan as a princess if you wish to include her.

Edit: Experience is now also added to the list. Also what about Jane? She went to Oxford in order to be apart of the trip right?
pancham.giftyrunt.gifsableye.gifbanette.gifblaziken.gif
@ninjagirl27
Well, I guess that would depend on if you mean educated by today's standards, or by the standards of their timeline.

Belle would be an obvious choice, she's well read in a time when many women didn't read, especially not peasants. Her father was an inventor, so she likely knew a good deal about basic mechanics and engineering from him. At one point, she is shown to be reading Shakespeare to the Beast, so there is even a possibility of her being bilingual (though it could have been she was reading a version translated into French, who knows)

Rapunzel is another one. Though she only had three books in her tower, they are geology, botany, and cooking. She also is shown mapping stars, and later in the village she excitedly looks over a book store with Flynn, and the one they are reading at that moment seems to be an atlas.

Tiana, being the most modern princess, would be the most likely to have a modern education. However, not much is shown of her going to school or reading or anything, so it's hard to say.

@ninjagirl27
Well, I guess that would depend on if you mean educated by today's standards, or by the standards of their timeline.

Belle would be an obvious choice, she's well read in a time when many women didn't read, especially not peasants. Her father was an inventor, so she likely knew a good deal about basic mechanics and engineering from him. At one point, she is shown to be reading Shakespeare to the Beast, so there is even a possibility of her being bilingual (though it could have been she was reading a version translated into French, who knows)

Rapunzel is another one. Though she only had three books in her tower, they are geology, botany, and cooking. She also is shown mapping stars, and later in the village she excitedly looks over a book store with Flynn, and the one they are reading at that moment seems to be an atlas.

Tiana, being the most modern princess, would be the most likely to have a modern education. However, not much is shown of her going to school or reading or anything, so it's hard to say.

EBs1WDl.png
@Mibykurl
I meant by today's standards, sorry.

But out of the three listed there I would tie Rapunzel and Belle.
@Mibykurl
I meant by today's standards, sorry.

But out of the three listed there I would tie Rapunzel and Belle.
I'd say Rapunzel, even though she did only have a few books in her tower she read them a lot! And she probably had more time to learn stuff with Flynn than the town montage gave off.

Although Belle's character mainly revolved around kindness she was also a bookworm. She read the entire library! That would give her a decent amount of education surely, at least in literacy.
I'd say Rapunzel, even though she did only have a few books in her tower she read them a lot! And she probably had more time to learn stuff with Flynn than the town montage gave off.

Although Belle's character mainly revolved around kindness she was also a bookworm. She read the entire library! That would give her a decent amount of education surely, at least in literacy.
@ninjagirl27

Definitely Belle. The sheer number of books she read before the movie began were probably enough to win her that title. Then she gets captured by Beast and given an entire library. A lot of the other princesses are driven by how little they know to escape from home and explore the outside world.
@ninjagirl27

Definitely Belle. The sheer number of books she read before the movie began were probably enough to win her that title. Then she gets captured by Beast and given an entire library. A lot of the other princesses are driven by how little they know to escape from home and explore the outside world.
I think that this needs to based on more than just how they were educated in an academic sense because then it's just excluding some of the princesses. Education is more than just what you learn through schooling or reading as seems to be one of the only indicators in this thread.

Personally, I think Tiana is the most educated because she is well educated in people skills, a technical skill that she loves, and has the confidence and ambition to save up money to achieve her dream of opening a restaurant even though it's going to be hard work. That to me says she has an inborn proclivity towards being business savvy and knowing how to run one. Also taking into account that she works at a number restaurants where she has probably learned quite a bit about what it takes to run a restaurant. I'd also like to point out she's the only princess we actively see who becomes married but still carries out her dream as well. None of the other princesses are shown doing anything like this. They simply get married and end of story. Including their sequels
I think that this needs to based on more than just how they were educated in an academic sense because then it's just excluding some of the princesses. Education is more than just what you learn through schooling or reading as seems to be one of the only indicators in this thread.

Personally, I think Tiana is the most educated because she is well educated in people skills, a technical skill that she loves, and has the confidence and ambition to save up money to achieve her dream of opening a restaurant even though it's going to be hard work. That to me says she has an inborn proclivity towards being business savvy and knowing how to run one. Also taking into account that she works at a number restaurants where she has probably learned quite a bit about what it takes to run a restaurant. I'd also like to point out she's the only princess we actively see who becomes married but still carries out her dream as well. None of the other princesses are shown doing anything like this. They simply get married and end of story. Including their sequels
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
@Plenilune
So I should also add experience to the standards?
@Plenilune
So I should also add experience to the standards?
@ninjagirl27

Yes because there is more than one way to gain an education and different types of education as well
@ninjagirl27

Yes because there is more than one way to gain an education and different types of education as well
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
@Plenilune
Ok I added it.
@Plenilune
Ok I added it.
Mulan is technically considered an official Disney princess, just for informational purpose of noting. Are you focusing on the actual official princesses or are you allowing the unofficial ones as well? Because, if you are, I would nominate Jane Porter or Princess Leia personally due to their implied educational backgrounds and the roles they take in their universes. Though I could see Leia being disqualified due to her qualification of being "Disney" tethered by simple ownership. But if Leia is allowed I would also champion for Padmé to be considered as well then, due to her role in the Senate and obvious political wight. But Leia most definitely due to her actual being of royalty, if we are discerning based solely on linage. That would disqualify many female characters sadly and is often debated among Disney enthusiast.

Mulan is technically considered an official Disney princess, just for informational purpose of noting. Are you focusing on the actual official princesses or are you allowing the unofficial ones as well? Because, if you are, I would nominate Jane Porter or Princess Leia personally due to their implied educational backgrounds and the roles they take in their universes. Though I could see Leia being disqualified due to her qualification of being "Disney" tethered by simple ownership. But if Leia is allowed I would also champion for Padmé to be considered as well then, due to her role in the Senate and obvious political wight. But Leia most definitely due to her actual being of royalty, if we are discerning based solely on linage. That would disqualify many female characters sadly and is often debated among Disney enthusiast.

FGEF3ML.png
1 2