Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dragon: The Game
1 2 3 4
-screech- I soooo wish I could back this! I'm going to share this on IG .o.

I also REALLY wish I had $1000 spare lying around ; ;
-screech- I soooo wish I could back this! I'm going to share this on IG .o.

I also REALLY wish I had $1000 spare lying around ; ;
65d976aaca38aa0652d6a6bdf8831a59ecf03774.gif
@GhostMonkey have you seen this?
@GhostMonkey have you seen this?
Flamecaller-embersbanner-sm.gif tumblr_ntp809tUrM1ueyht5o1_100.png
@fluffydukki *looks at*
I hadn't seen it, looks pretty funny xD
I would burn all of the buildings. All of them. :U
@fluffydukki *looks at*
I hadn't seen it, looks pretty funny xD
I would burn all of the buildings. All of them. :U
I really really really hope the dev can finish this game and realize their goals to make an amazing dragon sim. It would be amazing.

...However from what I've seen and read about the game so far I do feel that it's unlikely. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, like you have no idea how much I want this to happen, but development has been slow and what is there is extremely unfinished.
I really really really hope the dev can finish this game and realize their goals to make an amazing dragon sim. It would be amazing.

...However from what I've seen and read about the game so far I do feel that it's unlikely. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, like you have no idea how much I want this to happen, but development has been slow and what is there is extremely unfinished.
This looks awesome. I'm gonna have to pledge something when I get paid monday.
This looks awesome. I'm gonna have to pledge something when I get paid monday.
kriskrossness.gif
Thank you guys for your interest and for helping get the word out. :)
As of this post, there are five days left and they have 425 backers, with $23,922 pledged. They still need a little more than $6000 to make it, and I don't know if they will but I want to believe they can. I think this game has so much potential, and at least they have something reliable to build off of. I'm gonna be really disappointed if this campaign fails, tbh
Thank you guys for your interest and for helping get the word out. :)
As of this post, there are five days left and they have 425 backers, with $23,922 pledged. They still need a little more than $6000 to make it, and I don't know if they will but I want to believe they can. I think this game has so much potential, and at least they have something reliable to build off of. I'm gonna be really disappointed if this campaign fails, tbh
Gravity Falls references the Illuminati? Haha, that's ridiculous. You're Being silly.
sounds like fun!!!
sounds like fun!!!
225210-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-banner.jpg
@Ankokou

I can't guarantee the game will ever be finished of course, but honestly I think it's a safe bet. Development is "slow" but... entirely on schedule? The tech demo was released a year ago, and way back then they gave an ETA of about two years. Games of this nature typically have a 2-3 year development cycle with more people on staff than they have, all of whom are probably only working on the game part-time. Most games aren't even announced until they have a year of development done already, so development probably just seems slow, because players are accustomed to a 1, 2 year post-announcement wait tops (except in unusual cases where the game gets delayed, but delaying a game is such an INCREDIBLY undesirable situation, a game never gets delayed unless it's utterly broken and unplayable).

All games are extremely unfinished until the final polishing/bug fixing stage. I think if anything, the issue won't be that the game won't be FINISHED, but that the devs are overly-ambitious, and won't be able to create as expansive a game as they'd like on release date. But! That's what post-release patches are for. c: Games like these are pet projects for the developers, I don't doubt that they'll keep creating content as long as there's a steady stream of money to support development costs and server upkeep.

Ahhh sorry to go on a rant to you, but I've been reading the reviews too, and if anything everything honestly looks.... entirely normal, barring how early the developers started releasing content publicly. ^^;
@Ankokou

I can't guarantee the game will ever be finished of course, but honestly I think it's a safe bet. Development is "slow" but... entirely on schedule? The tech demo was released a year ago, and way back then they gave an ETA of about two years. Games of this nature typically have a 2-3 year development cycle with more people on staff than they have, all of whom are probably only working on the game part-time. Most games aren't even announced until they have a year of development done already, so development probably just seems slow, because players are accustomed to a 1, 2 year post-announcement wait tops (except in unusual cases where the game gets delayed, but delaying a game is such an INCREDIBLY undesirable situation, a game never gets delayed unless it's utterly broken and unplayable).

All games are extremely unfinished until the final polishing/bug fixing stage. I think if anything, the issue won't be that the game won't be FINISHED, but that the devs are overly-ambitious, and won't be able to create as expansive a game as they'd like on release date. But! That's what post-release patches are for. c: Games like these are pet projects for the developers, I don't doubt that they'll keep creating content as long as there's a steady stream of money to support development costs and server upkeep.

Ahhh sorry to go on a rant to you, but I've been reading the reviews too, and if anything everything honestly looks.... entirely normal, barring how early the developers started releasing content publicly. ^^;
b6b79395300f38d126815a735af03192.pngtumblr_nkoy2v68mq1sjcj33o1_250.gif
@Science
I understand completely why it's upsetting to see a project you really like and want to be finished getting negative feedback. Too many people whine when an indie alpha doesn't meet their AAA expectations and it's extremely grating.

I follow indie development and support early access games. I frequently purchase games in EA and know what to expect.

Games not being completed, abandoned, or pushed to "release" missing major features that were promised is way more common than you seem to think it is. Sometimes the dev takes the money and runs, sometimes they were overambitious and have to cut out major features that will never make it into the game because they just aren't capable of doing these things. Frequently they run out of money, support, or passion and push the game to an early release missing major and important features or just stop releasing updates all together, and quietly disappear.

Games are also not "extremely unfinished" right up until the final stages of development unless it's a game that is pushed to 1.0 early because it is being abandoned. (And then the game is still extremely unfinished, it's just done because they aren't working on it any more.)
There is always clear progress as the game grows and changes, working towards an obvious and ultimate goal. If a game doesn't seem to be making noticeable progress, especially over a year, that's indicative something major is wrong.

And money is a big issue. Even if the developer wants to finish what happens when it isn't making any more money because it's so desperately unfinished and progress is so slow no one wants to buy it?

So, as someone who buys and plays a lot of indie EA games I've also learned to watch for the warning signs a game is going to be unfinished or abandoned. This game standing atop the great Warning Bell Tower waving a red flag that reads "this game will never be finished with most of the features we've promised."

Like I said, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong but I'm not going to ignore the warning signs just because I adore the idea. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it, followed shortly by throwing all my money at the developer for their amazing game.
@Science
I understand completely why it's upsetting to see a project you really like and want to be finished getting negative feedback. Too many people whine when an indie alpha doesn't meet their AAA expectations and it's extremely grating.

I follow indie development and support early access games. I frequently purchase games in EA and know what to expect.

Games not being completed, abandoned, or pushed to "release" missing major features that were promised is way more common than you seem to think it is. Sometimes the dev takes the money and runs, sometimes they were overambitious and have to cut out major features that will never make it into the game because they just aren't capable of doing these things. Frequently they run out of money, support, or passion and push the game to an early release missing major and important features or just stop releasing updates all together, and quietly disappear.

Games are also not "extremely unfinished" right up until the final stages of development unless it's a game that is pushed to 1.0 early because it is being abandoned. (And then the game is still extremely unfinished, it's just done because they aren't working on it any more.)
There is always clear progress as the game grows and changes, working towards an obvious and ultimate goal. If a game doesn't seem to be making noticeable progress, especially over a year, that's indicative something major is wrong.

And money is a big issue. Even if the developer wants to finish what happens when it isn't making any more money because it's so desperately unfinished and progress is so slow no one wants to buy it?

So, as someone who buys and plays a lot of indie EA games I've also learned to watch for the warning signs a game is going to be unfinished or abandoned. This game standing atop the great Warning Bell Tower waving a red flag that reads "this game will never be finished with most of the features we've promised."

Like I said, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong but I'm not going to ignore the warning signs just because I adore the idea. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it, followed shortly by throwing all my money at the developer for their amazing game.
@Ankokou I agree with you on some parts, though on the parts I don't: "Extremely unfinished" is probably bad wording on my part. More like... the polish is what makes the game [i]fun[/i], and this usually doesn't happen until the end of the development cycle. If a demo/trailer is released, normally those parts will have been worked hard on to make the game look good and encourage people to spend (which is... another argument I could get into tbh, they can be good or a product of ill omens to come), while the rest of the game can be a mess. I see this a lot less often with indie games that have EA though; it seems like a re-prioritization in what gets added, since a lot of people are scrutinizing the pace at which the game develops. I don't think not going at a brisk enough pace is a red flag in and of itself. You say [quote]Games not being completed, abandoned, or pushed to "release" missing major features that were promised is way more common than you seem to think it is. [/quote] I'm very aware of how often this happens, which is why I mentioned that: [quote]I think if anything, the issue won't be that the game won't be FINISHED, but that the devs are overly-ambitious, and won't be able to create as expansive a game as they'd like on release date.[/quote] ...which again, can be remedied post-release, should sales be good enough. This happens often enough. It's not like the devs don't have milestones above their initial funding goal; the features won't be added if they're not reached. I think my biggest issues are that they're listing stretch goals as though they will Very Definitely be added to the game, but that's my main warning flag, not the other reasons listed. I also fund a lot of Kickstarters/EA games and as someone trying to make games for a living I think I just have a different perspective with how crowdsourcing works? Games, Indie to AAA, fail all the time. They fail before they're announced and see the light of day. Crowdsourced games aren't any different; when they fail it's often less because they "take the money and run" and because, well... shit happens in game development that can't be accounted for. If I donate money and the game comes out, sweet. If I donate and the game doesn't? I took a gamble and lost, is all, and I'm fine with that because I don't spend beyond my means and let it scare me away from donating to other games that end up becoming successes. The biggest red flag to look for is the team not having any experience, which if anything I would think would be the main stickler here... [url=http://redlevelgames.com/?page_id=21]At a glance, the only person listed with experience on their website is their marketer?[/url] Though I feel it's commendable that they managed to get as far as they did as a team that appears to be lacking any sort of experience, at the absolute least. Like, not for nothing, but you're speaking as though I don't know much about the game scene, and surely I'm ignorant of a lot, but I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. ¯\_(?)_/¯ But, as said... I think this game has a lot of potential. They have a working EA, however "crap". (I think that if I were to nab it on sale, it'd be a fine price for what it is, tbh, which covers the "what if they don't make enough money to continue development" gripe) I think it's a safe bet to say that development will continue, at least for a while. So while I'm not in a financial position to donate any money right now, if I had, I'd pitch in a $5, because... what, I get burned out of a fiver when I'm financially stable? lol Sorry if this is an incoherent mess, typing out in a hurry 'cause I got stuff to do
@Ankokou

I agree with you on some parts, though on the parts I don't:

"Extremely unfinished" is probably bad wording on my part. More like... the polish is what makes the game fun, and this usually doesn't happen until the end of the development cycle. If a demo/trailer is released, normally those parts will have been worked hard on to make the game look good and encourage people to spend (which is... another argument I could get into tbh, they can be good or a product of ill omens to come), while the rest of the game can be a mess.

I see this a lot less often with indie games that have EA though; it seems like a re-prioritization in what gets added, since a lot of people are scrutinizing the pace at which the game develops. I don't think not going at a brisk enough pace is a red flag in and of itself.

You say
Quote:
Games not being completed, abandoned, or pushed to "release" missing major features that were promised is way more common than you seem to think it is.

I'm very aware of how often this happens, which is why I mentioned that:
Quote:
I think if anything, the issue won't be that the game won't be FINISHED, but that the devs are overly-ambitious, and won't be able to create as expansive a game as they'd like on release date.

...which again, can be remedied post-release, should sales be good enough. This happens often enough. It's not like the devs don't have milestones above their initial funding goal; the features won't be added if they're not reached. I think my biggest issues are that they're listing stretch goals as though they will Very Definitely be added to the game, but that's my main warning flag, not the other reasons listed.

I also fund a lot of Kickstarters/EA games and as someone trying to make games for a living I think I just have a different perspective with how crowdsourcing works? Games, Indie to AAA, fail all the time. They fail before they're announced and see the light of day. Crowdsourced games aren't any different; when they fail it's often less because they "take the money and run" and because, well... **** happens in game development that can't be accounted for. If I donate money and the game comes out, sweet. If I donate and the game doesn't? I took a gamble and lost, is all, and I'm fine with that because I don't spend beyond my means and let it scare me away from donating to other games that end up becoming successes. The biggest red flag to look for is the team not having any experience, which if anything I would think would be the main stickler here... At a glance, the only person listed with experience on their website is their marketer? Though I feel it's commendable that they managed to get as far as they did as a team that appears to be lacking any sort of experience, at the absolute least.

Like, not for nothing, but you're speaking as though I don't know much about the game scene, and surely I'm ignorant of a lot, but I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. ¯\_(?)_/¯ But, as said... I think this game has a lot of potential. They have a working EA, however "crap". (I think that if I were to nab it on sale, it'd be a fine price for what it is, tbh, which covers the "what if they don't make enough money to continue development" gripe) I think it's a safe bet to say that development will continue, at least for a while. So while I'm not in a financial position to donate any money right now, if I had, I'd pitch in a $5, because... what, I get burned out of a fiver when I'm financially stable? lol

Sorry if this is an incoherent mess, typing out in a hurry 'cause I got stuff to do
b6b79395300f38d126815a735af03192.pngtumblr_nkoy2v68mq1sjcj33o1_250.gif
1 2 3 4