Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Things foreigners think about ur culture
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20
Canada man. Canada has its stereotypes. We're nice, hockey-obsessed, poutine-eating, moose lovers who across the entire country must all say about the same way (aboot). Oh, and that we apologize a lot (for me it's true but.. ya'know).
Canada man. Canada has its stereotypes. We're nice, hockey-obsessed, poutine-eating, moose lovers who across the entire country must all say about the same way (aboot). Oh, and that we apologize a lot (for me it's true but.. ya'know).
Signature-1-Avani-8069.png
@Kintsy I know that pain. My father's a Newfie, and my grandmother from my mother's side is also Newfie.
@Kintsy I know that pain. My father's a Newfie, and my grandmother from my mother's side is also Newfie.
"Oh, I don't know, I was really hoping for a huge sign on the wall saying 'Kryx's Legacy Clues Here!'"
7e564164b467c888332847354c0f4875cf273dd1.png
I have to wonder what non-US citizens think about one of our most bizarre national rituals: Groundhog Day.
I have to wonder what non-US citizens think about one of our most bizarre national rituals: Groundhog Day.
tumblr_inline_nk71atz2Rg1qg2i5p.png
@StellarBlitz

So lemme just say I've been to Wisconsin and it's amazing and I wish my state was as obsessed with cheese as you guys are. -cough- Anywho...

I've never really heard anything overly associated with Virginia as a whole, rather just its regions. Like that the northern region is showered with money because it's so close to the country's capitol, terrible drivers, etc.

Then I guess there's the Southwest Region, where I live. All I've heard people associate it with are drug users?

Yeah, that's about the extent I know. And naturally it isn't anything good or necessarily true... If you guys have ever heard of any Virginia stereotypes please let me know! I'm very curious but just never hear it come up in conversation
@StellarBlitz

So lemme just say I've been to Wisconsin and it's amazing and I wish my state was as obsessed with cheese as you guys are. -cough- Anywho...

I've never really heard anything overly associated with Virginia as a whole, rather just its regions. Like that the northern region is showered with money because it's so close to the country's capitol, terrible drivers, etc.

Then I guess there's the Southwest Region, where I live. All I've heard people associate it with are drug users?

Yeah, that's about the extent I know. And naturally it isn't anything good or necessarily true... If you guys have ever heard of any Virginia stereotypes please let me know! I'm very curious but just never hear it come up in conversation
[quote name="Kintsy" date=2016-02-03 17:58:01] @ratbones we do it here too x) [/quote] @Kintsy Haha, it's so bizarre! I seems like a cult ritual or something, worshiping the groundhog who can predict the weather
Kintsy wrote on 2016-02-03:
@ratbones we do it here too x)
@Kintsy
Haha, it's so bizarre! I seems like a cult ritual or something, worshiping the groundhog who can predict the weather
tumblr_inline_nk71atz2Rg1qg2i5p.png
Florida. Everyone thinks we live in hell and there's orange juice and alligators everywhere!!!

The worst part is they aren't wrong.
Florida. Everyone thinks we live in hell and there's orange juice and alligators everywhere!!!

The worst part is they aren't wrong.
gt0Ql2T.png
ahhh yes here in pennsylvania where people regularly say "you'se guys" instead of "you guys" or "you all" (accurate stereotype, though i don't say "you'se"), theres a town not tooooo far from where i live and its called shartlesville, among other towns in the state like intercourse and virginville, and anybody i've met who isn't from pennsylvania doesn't know what quoits is (are?), and a lot of people from outside of the state don't seem to know what wawa is

however i CAN assure you that not everybody here is a pittsburgh sports fan or a philadelphia sports fan, but i happen to fall under the philly category on that one
ahhh yes here in pennsylvania where people regularly say "you'se guys" instead of "you guys" or "you all" (accurate stereotype, though i don't say "you'se"), theres a town not tooooo far from where i live and its called shartlesville, among other towns in the state like intercourse and virginville, and anybody i've met who isn't from pennsylvania doesn't know what quoits is (are?), and a lot of people from outside of the state don't seem to know what wawa is

however i CAN assure you that not everybody here is a pittsburgh sports fan or a philadelphia sports fan, but i happen to fall under the philly category on that one
I don't need to start about what Texas and Texans get asked about.
I had one guy not believe me when I say I live near one of the biggest airports in the country. He didn't believe we lived in neighborhoods. He thought we were all living on country roads made of dirt. We all had horses and cows and had little wood houses. >.>

I don't want to go on about what he thought because it made me shake my head.

I don't need to start about what Texas and Texans get asked about.
I had one guy not believe me when I say I live near one of the biggest airports in the country. He didn't believe we lived in neighborhoods. He thought we were all living on country roads made of dirt. We all had horses and cows and had little wood houses. >.>

I don't want to go on about what he thought because it made me shake my head.

Ask Me about free dragon doodles from Dall's Doodle Spot.
Apparently when my mom told her family she was moving to New Jersey, her family and friends told her, dead seriously, that they wouldn't want to come visit her there. Obviously, the entire state of New Jersey is one giant cesspool of stinky, obnoxious, dangerous criminals who spend every day lying around on the shore.

... Okay, maybe (hopefully) people don't think of us that badly, lol, but we've all heard our fair share of Jersey jokes. C'mon guys, it's beautiful over here! Really not much different at all from any other state, and most Jerseyans I know are super nice. x) It can be crowded and noisy sometimes, but only if you live in or around a big city or industrial area. Where I live in the suburbs, it's not like that at all, and we have plenty of gorgeous open spaces, too.

We also supposedly love bagels and pizza, which from my experience is entirely accurate.

Oh, and no, we do not say "Noo Joisey." I don't think I've ever met anyone actually from New Jersey who pronounces it like that. xD No idea where that idea comes from.

For American stereotypes ... I guess people sometimes think of us as arrogant and ignorant of other countries/cultures? I do find it embarrassing how often the second part, at least, seems to be true. ^^' It's also pretty accurate to say that most Americans can only effectively speak English and have minimal knowledge of other languages, perhaps due in part to inadequate foreign language classes in our schools.
Apparently when my mom told her family she was moving to New Jersey, her family and friends told her, dead seriously, that they wouldn't want to come visit her there. Obviously, the entire state of New Jersey is one giant cesspool of stinky, obnoxious, dangerous criminals who spend every day lying around on the shore.

... Okay, maybe (hopefully) people don't think of us that badly, lol, but we've all heard our fair share of Jersey jokes. C'mon guys, it's beautiful over here! Really not much different at all from any other state, and most Jerseyans I know are super nice. x) It can be crowded and noisy sometimes, but only if you live in or around a big city or industrial area. Where I live in the suburbs, it's not like that at all, and we have plenty of gorgeous open spaces, too.

We also supposedly love bagels and pizza, which from my experience is entirely accurate.

Oh, and no, we do not say "Noo Joisey." I don't think I've ever met anyone actually from New Jersey who pronounces it like that. xD No idea where that idea comes from.

For American stereotypes ... I guess people sometimes think of us as arrogant and ignorant of other countries/cultures? I do find it embarrassing how often the second part, at least, seems to be true. ^^' It's also pretty accurate to say that most Americans can only effectively speak English and have minimal knowledge of other languages, perhaps due in part to inadequate foreign language classes in our schools.
NlmYDAS.png01nVszz.pnghh5n4WA.pngTkuqFdJ.pngpLBqBJR.png
PkrZYX8.pnggwP4usG.pngmG3cvl0.pngk1Fh9yL.pngmX2Eb7M.png

YMPbu9R.png
That we all drink tea and eat crumpets.

I don't mind crumpets but I dislike tea.
That we all drink tea and eat crumpets.

I don't mind crumpets but I dislike tea.
Yt4sddf.png
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19 20