Back

Find a Dragon

Search for the perfect dragon.
TOPIC | [Survey] Your Dragon Buying Habits
1 2
Hi, so I'm not SURE this is the right place for this (if not, sorry mods), but I continually can't fathom pricing for dergs on the AH and am trying to collect data on dragon supply/demand. I'm hoping this will help people, especially newbies, better understand dragon pricing and the FR economic market as a whole.

If you'd like to help, please take the survey here and feel free to pass it around. The more data the better!

2/8/2016: Update on Survey
As of this post (9:06 server time) we have received 145 responses to this survey! That's an alright sample size but, considering the size of this website, I was hoping it would be much larger. If you have already filled out the survey, please consider sending it on to other players who might find the information useful. As is, I'll be posting a summary of the data when we hit 200, and I am also working on two new, separate versions of the survey (to address the difference in exalting v. keeping buyer behaviors, as well as other common concerns expressed about the limited scope of the survey).
Hi, so I'm not SURE this is the right place for this (if not, sorry mods), but I continually can't fathom pricing for dergs on the AH and am trying to collect data on dragon supply/demand. I'm hoping this will help people, especially newbies, better understand dragon pricing and the FR economic market as a whole.

If you'd like to help, please take the survey here and feel free to pass it around. The more data the better!

2/8/2016: Update on Survey
As of this post (9:06 server time) we have received 145 responses to this survey! That's an alright sample size but, considering the size of this website, I was hoping it would be much larger. If you have already filled out the survey, please consider sending it on to other players who might find the information useful. As is, I'll be posting a summary of the data when we hit 200, and I am also working on two new, separate versions of the survey (to address the difference in exalting v. keeping buyer behaviors, as well as other common concerns expressed about the limited scope of the survey).
z56a24076d588c.gif
Potox, IriShimGlim, Ltd & Rare Breeds | Discounts for Lightning & Dom Prep
bump
bump
@Sqwhirl15 Thanks for the bump!
@Sqwhirl15 Thanks for the bump!
z56a24076d588c.gif
@Valikor

I'll be back later to take the survey when I'm not on mobile!
:)
@Valikor

I'll be back later to take the survey when I'm not on mobile!
:)
20119.png20118.png
@KoryuEdelgard Yes, there is a question about how much Gen1 v. non-Gen1 and bred v. non-bred affects your purchasing decision.

Honestly there are so many valuables that, right now, I'm trying to just get a basic view of the market & consumer behaviors. So the main variables I've started with in-depth are breed and genetic rarity. However, I do plan to make follow-up surveys in the future that look at other variables in more depth.

Edit: there are also questions about how often the number of digits in the ID# and double/triple coloring affects your buying decisions.
@KoryuEdelgard Yes, there is a question about how much Gen1 v. non-Gen1 and bred v. non-bred affects your purchasing decision.

Honestly there are so many valuables that, right now, I'm trying to just get a basic view of the market & consumer behaviors. So the main variables I've started with in-depth are breed and genetic rarity. However, I do plan to make follow-up surveys in the future that look at other variables in more depth.

Edit: there are also questions about how often the number of digits in the ID# and double/triple coloring affects your buying decisions.
z56a24076d588c.gif
@KoryuEdelgard Cause it's crazy, right?? I'm also noticing in conversation that one's idea of what dragons are worth also depends on how long you've been on FR, so older players still see a lot of worth in rarity while newer players don't necessarily value gene combos like IriShim or CrystalFacet so much for their rarity as for their aesthetic appeal. Partially because, as another user pointed out, now that IriShim has been diffused into the market, it's actually one of the more common combos!

Of course, I'm going to compare this survey with a look at the AH to figure out the supply side of things, too.
@KoryuEdelgard Cause it's crazy, right?? I'm also noticing in conversation that one's idea of what dragons are worth also depends on how long you've been on FR, so older players still see a lot of worth in rarity while newer players don't necessarily value gene combos like IriShim or CrystalFacet so much for their rarity as for their aesthetic appeal. Partially because, as another user pointed out, now that IriShim has been diffused into the market, it's actually one of the more common combos!

Of course, I'm going to compare this survey with a look at the AH to figure out the supply side of things, too.
z56a24076d588c.gif
@barthes
this is pretty much impossible for me to answer, since I consider genes individually instead of grouped by common/limited/etc- I'd pay a lot more for a butterfly or toxin or tiger than I would for something with gembond or crystal or smoke. The price of the gene itself usually has no bearing on my dragon-buying, because I'm paying for a dragon not a gene (unless I'm specifically buying it as a project dragon or something)
@barthes
this is pretty much impossible for me to answer, since I consider genes individually instead of grouped by common/limited/etc- I'd pay a lot more for a butterfly or toxin or tiger than I would for something with gembond or crystal or smoke. The price of the gene itself usually has no bearing on my dragon-buying, because I'm paying for a dragon not a gene (unless I'm specifically buying it as a project dragon or something)
SshqD6Q.png
@ToasterOven Thanks for the feedback! If you want to ping me in a post where you answer things with a little more flexibility, that would be nice too, but I also understand if it's turned you off the project. There are SO many variables when it comes to buying dragons that, right now, I've just decided to focus mostly on breed v. gene v. rarity as those have been to my (unmeasured, perceived) understanding the most common considerations for buyers.

I do think I'm going to add a "text box" response though where people can elaborate if they felt the questions too restricting. Thank you for giving me a better understanding!

@KoryuEdelgard Interesting to note! I've also noticed the WC rarity, too.
@ToasterOven Thanks for the feedback! If you want to ping me in a post where you answer things with a little more flexibility, that would be nice too, but I also understand if it's turned you off the project. There are SO many variables when it comes to buying dragons that, right now, I've just decided to focus mostly on breed v. gene v. rarity as those have been to my (unmeasured, perceived) understanding the most common considerations for buyers.

I do think I'm going to add a "text box" response though where people can elaborate if they felt the questions too restricting. Thank you for giving me a better understanding!

@KoryuEdelgard Interesting to note! I've also noticed the WC rarity, too.
z56a24076d588c.gif
@barthes You should try asking if a pre-named dragon affects buying too. I've seen so many dragons I like and was at a nice price that I passed by because it was already named. It feels like an extra implied cost thrown in there.
@barthes You should try asking if a pre-named dragon affects buying too. I've seen so many dragons I like and was at a nice price that I passed by because it was already named. It feels like an extra implied cost thrown in there.
?J1zcN=party.png
A bump! :)
A bump! :)
1 2