Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | When you finally understand a song
I tend to find a song I like and listen to it a lot, but not really understand the meaning of the lyrics at first.

Then, it just hits me. That feeling when you get when you finally understand what the songwriter is trying to convey, and uncovering the deeper meanings. Music can be powerful, man.

Listening to "Dear Agony" by Breaking Benjamin.
I tend to find a song I like and listen to it a lot, but not really understand the meaning of the lyrics at first.

Then, it just hits me. That feeling when you get when you finally understand what the songwriter is trying to convey, and uncovering the deeper meanings. Music can be powerful, man.

Listening to "Dear Agony" by Breaking Benjamin.
aaaaaaaaa
RdVh6mS.png
aa
Naomi ~ she/they ~ FR +3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Music Share | Wishlist
Art Shop | Hatchery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Writing noughts till the end of time...
Meet me where the cliffs greet the sea. ~
aa GdA4c8j.png
...Yeah man. The worst is when it's really simple but you don't get it because you're a kid but then you grow up

Some favorites of mine?
  • Spaceman, by The Killers (when I figured that out I was like WHOA)
  • Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis ("OH. ...oh.")
  • Cyborgs vs. Robots by Ludo (well I guess that one was obvious but still)
  • Similarly, Battle Cry by Ludo (these guys are great)
  • Carefree by The Refreshments (The whole band life thing took me kind of too long :P)
  • How Long by Teen Idols (I had to look the lyrics up but it made sense then haha)
  • And I always knew what What A Good Boy by the Barenaked Ladies meant but it still struck the same kind of "HOLY CATS" chord.

That was a really long and pointless post but I hope you like it anyways
Songs I'm still figuring out:
  • 27 by Fall Out Boy (Mostly wondering if it was named for shock value or if this is really a song about suicide?)
  • Uncle Johnny by The Killers (Okay I get it, your uncle does drugs, but why)
  • Andy, You're A Star by The Killers (I looked it up and I STILL don't know honestly)
  • Song 2 by Blur (I totally should know)
...Yeah man. The worst is when it's really simple but you don't get it because you're a kid but then you grow up

Some favorites of mine?
  • Spaceman, by The Killers (when I figured that out I was like WHOA)
  • Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis ("OH. ...oh.")
  • Cyborgs vs. Robots by Ludo (well I guess that one was obvious but still)
  • Similarly, Battle Cry by Ludo (these guys are great)
  • Carefree by The Refreshments (The whole band life thing took me kind of too long :P)
  • How Long by Teen Idols (I had to look the lyrics up but it made sense then haha)
  • And I always knew what What A Good Boy by the Barenaked Ladies meant but it still struck the same kind of "HOLY CATS" chord.

That was a really long and pointless post but I hope you like it anyways
Songs I'm still figuring out:
  • 27 by Fall Out Boy (Mostly wondering if it was named for shock value or if this is really a song about suicide?)
  • Uncle Johnny by The Killers (Okay I get it, your uncle does drugs, but why)
  • Andy, You're A Star by The Killers (I looked it up and I STILL don't know honestly)
  • Song 2 by Blur (I totally should know)
iiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz04t.pngiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz085.pngiiiiiiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz0bq.png
How about some really old childhood songs? Like, "You are my Sunshine" or "Puff the Magic Dragon"?
The kind of song your parents sing the first kind of lines when you're a wee little thing, and then when you're an adult you sit down and listen to them and just sit baffled for half an hour.
How about some really old childhood songs? Like, "You are my Sunshine" or "Puff the Magic Dragon"?
The kind of song your parents sing the first kind of lines when you're a wee little thing, and then when you're an adult you sit down and listen to them and just sit baffled for half an hour.
Ping me pretty please! I love seeing responses!
@MidnightRein

Funny part is, I actually like and appreciate Puff a lot more then when I was a kid just because I understand the themes behind it. It takes an adult to understand why childhood is such a precious thing.
@MidnightRein

Funny part is, I actually like and appreciate Puff a lot more then when I was a kid just because I understand the themes behind it. It takes an adult to understand why childhood is such a precious thing.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
100 Years By Five for Fighting. I loved the song so much as a kid but only recently has the meaning hit me. Instant tears every time now.

Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet. Always thought it was about a dude having a good time. Boy was I wrong.

I've begun to notice I pay a lot of attention to lyrics now. Turns out m ost of my happy songs aren't so happy.
100 Years By Five for Fighting. I loved the song so much as a kid but only recently has the meaning hit me. Instant tears every time now.

Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet. Always thought it was about a dude having a good time. Boy was I wrong.

I've begun to notice I pay a lot of attention to lyrics now. Turns out m ost of my happy songs aren't so happy.
Pft forget deeper meanings, I have a hard enough time figuring out what words many singers are even using. So many times I've looked up lyrics to find out I thought they were saying something completely different.
Pft forget deeper meanings, I have a hard enough time figuring out what words many singers are even using. So many times I've looked up lyrics to find out I thought they were saying something completely different.
[quote name="Krissim" date=2016-01-13 18:58:05] Pft forget deeper meanings, I have a hard enough time figuring out what words many singers are even using. So many times I've looked up lyrics to find out I thought they were saying something completely different. [/quote] I almost never actually listen to the words of a song anymore. When I listen to music it's usually just as the background to whatever I'm doing and the vocals just become another instrument. I've been criticized for liking music but not supporting or believing in whatever it was about and my response was usually to laugh because who cares what someone else likes to listen to.
Krissim wrote on 2016-01-13:
I almost never actually listen to the words of a song anymore. When I listen to music it's usually just as the background to whatever I'm doing and the vocals just become another instrument. I've been criticized for liking music but not supporting or believing in whatever it was about and my response was usually to laugh because who cares what someone else likes to listen to.
[quote name="Krissim" date=2016-01-13 18:58:05] Pft forget deeper meanings, I have a hard enough time figuring out what words many singers are even using. So many times I've looked up lyrics to find out I thought they were saying something completely different. [/quote] Ha! I hear you there. I've had it where I'll think a song says one thing, only to find it out it's something else...or even I'll go X amount of time thinking it's one thing, then something clicks and I'm like, 'wait a minute there, this is what's being said!'
Krissim wrote on 2016-01-13:

Ha! I hear you there. I've had it where I'll think a song says one thing, only to find it out it's something else...or even I'll go X amount of time thinking it's one thing, then something clicks and I'm like, 'wait a minute there, this is what's being said!'
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
So, that's why they call it a hotel.
So, that's why they call it a hotel.
sl1ij5o.pngDHyp0Qb.png krGXgY3.png9RjlOli.png9IQ25Kh.png