Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any anime recs?
1 2 3
@hallea
Hi! Some nice slice of life or comedy (or thereabouts, lmao) are Natsume Yuujinchou, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Kuragehime, Ore Monogatari!!, Kamisama Hajimemashita and also possibly LoveLive! which is a very good and very popular idol anime at the minute.

Looking at some of the series you've seen so far, you might like Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho! Both are pretty long (HXH: 148 episodes, YYH: 112 episodes) but they're both fantastic.

You could also look at watching some more Ghibli movies! The Cat Returns, My Neighbour Totoro and Mononokohime are good starting points. Wolf Children Ame and Yuki is another good film!
@hallea
Hi! Some nice slice of life or comedy (or thereabouts, lmao) are Natsume Yuujinchou, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Kuragehime, Ore Monogatari!!, Kamisama Hajimemashita and also possibly LoveLive! which is a very good and very popular idol anime at the minute.

Looking at some of the series you've seen so far, you might like Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho! Both are pretty long (HXH: 148 episodes, YYH: 112 episodes) but they're both fantastic.

You could also look at watching some more Ghibli movies! The Cat Returns, My Neighbour Totoro and Mononokohime are good starting points. Wolf Children Ame and Yuki is another good film!
tumblr_inline_mov7e4f1Vx1qz4rgp.png
Bump

Also, holy crap so many recommendations.
Bump

Also, holy crap so many recommendations.
tumblr_ojhs1v0eQf1v6q66ro2_500.png
@Hallea

You could give Touhou or Diabolik Lovers a try...
@Hallea

You could give Touhou or Diabolik Lovers a try...
uzH5Loo.gifgiratina-origin.gifluxray-f.gifempoleon.gifhaxorus.giftyranitar.gif
Samurai Champloo It's very actiony but it's got a mix of comedy
HyperDemension Neptunia
Samurai Champloo It's very actiony but it's got a mix of comedy
HyperDemension Neptunia
Epic Forum Hopper; Please Ping For A Response
@Hallea

Comedies, you say? If you are looking for that, here is what I recommend:

Ouran High School Host Club

This one tells the story of Haruhi Fujioka, a poor girl at a rich kid's school. One day, while looking for a place to study, she stumbles upon the Host Club: six hot guys who run the gamut of rom-com stereotypes and provide PG-rated entertainment for the ladies of the school. Because Haruhi breaks something of theirs and looks like a cute guy herself, she joins the club in order to pay off the debt she owes them. Hilarity ensues. Yes, a lot of people have already recommended this one, but seriously, it's amazing. For the record, the manga is a romantic comedy but the anime is more about friendship (probably because it's shorter).

Hetalia: Axis Powers

One part historical parody, one part geopolitical satire, and one part ensemble sketch comedy, all of the characters in this anime are the anthropomorphic personifications of countries, with personalities made up of all of the positive and negative stereotypes associated with their respective nations. Then they play out little vignettes wherein they deal with one another and respond to historical events. One thing I should warn you about is that (for the most part) there isn't really a plot; a few mini-arcs dealing with historical events are present, but otherwise it's mostly just little skits. Think of it as a combination of your Western Civ textbook and Saturday Night Live and you should get the idea. Very weird, but very funny, and can be surprisingly touching at times.

Tokyo Godfathers
An anime movie in which three homeless people - a drunkard, a teenage girl and a transwoman - find an abandoned baby on Christmas Eve. They decide to try and find the child's parents, and needless to say, this turns out to be easier said than done. As far as I know, there is only a subtitled version, but it is SO worth it. Both funny and heartwarming.
@Hallea

Comedies, you say? If you are looking for that, here is what I recommend:

Ouran High School Host Club

This one tells the story of Haruhi Fujioka, a poor girl at a rich kid's school. One day, while looking for a place to study, she stumbles upon the Host Club: six hot guys who run the gamut of rom-com stereotypes and provide PG-rated entertainment for the ladies of the school. Because Haruhi breaks something of theirs and looks like a cute guy herself, she joins the club in order to pay off the debt she owes them. Hilarity ensues. Yes, a lot of people have already recommended this one, but seriously, it's amazing. For the record, the manga is a romantic comedy but the anime is more about friendship (probably because it's shorter).

Hetalia: Axis Powers

One part historical parody, one part geopolitical satire, and one part ensemble sketch comedy, all of the characters in this anime are the anthropomorphic personifications of countries, with personalities made up of all of the positive and negative stereotypes associated with their respective nations. Then they play out little vignettes wherein they deal with one another and respond to historical events. One thing I should warn you about is that (for the most part) there isn't really a plot; a few mini-arcs dealing with historical events are present, but otherwise it's mostly just little skits. Think of it as a combination of your Western Civ textbook and Saturday Night Live and you should get the idea. Very weird, but very funny, and can be surprisingly touching at times.

Tokyo Godfathers
An anime movie in which three homeless people - a drunkard, a teenage girl and a transwoman - find an abandoned baby on Christmas Eve. They decide to try and find the child's parents, and needless to say, this turns out to be easier said than done. As far as I know, there is only a subtitled version, but it is SO worth it. Both funny and heartwarming.
I'm just going to recommend two series with no animated adaptations that are awesome.
The Breaker.
It's somewhat cliche and done by a korean author/artist duo. Story stars a useless kid who gets his **** kicked in at school and follows his life when he has a run in with a martial arts master working under cover as a teacher. Desperate to stop being a pushover the kid tries to dedicate his life to martial arts and **** gets real from there on. There's a sequel to the series as well called New Waves but it's not as good.

Shin Angyo Onishi
A secret government agent, seemingly the last of his position, tasked to bring order to the land by eliminating those who would abuse their governmental authority trying to bring order to a chaotic land in the wake of his nation's collapse.
I'm just going to recommend two series with no animated adaptations that are awesome.
The Breaker.
It's somewhat cliche and done by a korean author/artist duo. Story stars a useless kid who gets his **** kicked in at school and follows his life when he has a run in with a martial arts master working under cover as a teacher. Desperate to stop being a pushover the kid tries to dedicate his life to martial arts and **** gets real from there on. There's a sequel to the series as well called New Waves but it's not as good.

Shin Angyo Onishi
A secret government agent, seemingly the last of his position, tasked to bring order to the land by eliminating those who would abuse their governmental authority trying to bring order to a chaotic land in the wake of his nation's collapse.
@Hallea
sad mangas:
-Your lie in April
-Anohana
-Inari Konkon
@Hallea
sad mangas:
-Your lie in April
-Anohana
-Inari Konkon
Free entry raffle: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/3331691/61#post_56905511
@Hallea

Gonna second the Zankyou no Terror rec, it's about 2 child terrorists and it's super good

No.6 is basically post-apocalyptic false-utopia with lgbt characters on the side, the novels are better but the anime's good too (watch it first so you're not disappointed, but definitely read the novels)

Gangsta!! is good too, idk how to describe it really except a strong deaf guy, a one-eyed male prostitute with an idetic memory and a traumatized female prostitute living in a really crappy town doing other peoples' dirty work, it's rly interesting
@Hallea

Gonna second the Zankyou no Terror rec, it's about 2 child terrorists and it's super good

No.6 is basically post-apocalyptic false-utopia with lgbt characters on the side, the novels are better but the anime's good too (watch it first so you're not disappointed, but definitely read the novels)

Gangsta!! is good too, idk how to describe it really except a strong deaf guy, a one-eyed male prostitute with an idetic memory and a traumatized female prostitute living in a really crappy town doing other peoples' dirty work, it's rly interesting

jay | he/him | +3 fr
oaONRiZ.png
@Hallea
Google Studio Ghibli and watch all of the movies listed >:( There are like 15 or so movies made by them and you've watched two(Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle)
@Hallea
Google Studio Ghibli and watch all of the movies listed >:( There are like 15 or so movies made by them and you've watched two(Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle)
895587_QQ7.pngEvGHIgA.png
x4sSJsw.png
@alqu YES NO. 6!! I haven't read the novels yet, but I have all of the manga and it is beautiful, both art-wise and story-wise. The manga ending is a lot better than the anime ending, which was rather rushed, but both are really good. So @hallea watch the anime, then read the manga, then the light novels!
@alqu YES NO. 6!! I haven't read the novels yet, but I have all of the manga and it is beautiful, both art-wise and story-wise. The manga ending is a lot better than the anime ending, which was rather rushed, but both are really good. So @hallea watch the anime, then read the manga, then the light novels!
1 2 3