Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | This is going to sound pathetic
But I'm 21 without a job and school wise, just high school graduation. I'm what's called a highly sensitive person, which largely feeds into why hitting adult age so to speak, I keep slowing down as things get more complex. Stress and other aspects of my home life largely destroy my strength reserves and some days honestly just making myself take a shower feels like an accomplishment.
I really need to get a job though. I would be more willing to get one once I have my license, but my mom keeps insisting I should just do it, and school, right now. Which sounds again, pathetic, but its an extremely overwhelming thing for me to hear and I often just shut down. The worst part is either way, my mom said this year she's going to start charging me rent for living here. About 150 a month. Which honestly isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it does add stress to the whole situation.
I am vastly wary of doing school, even though CLEP testing and online courses are an option. I'm very slow when it comes to deadlines, and finished high school a year later than others my age, mainly because of being easily overwhelmed.
I don't expect a lot of advice, just encouragement I guess. I honestly don't know how much longer I can stand living in this house, which for me makes me lean towards finding a job or jobs so I can get independent.
I won't get into details, but my parents don't provide a supportive atmosphere in regard to my personal attributes, and though supportive over if I do school, its pretty much only support for what they want me to do.
Which in turn makes it very hard to even think of a job, it took me ages to even get out of a parking lot when I was learning, and still am, to drive. I'm easily overwhelmed by interaction social wise, I crash very easily afterwords, and everything just shuts down including my emotions, causing me to be very distant.
I don't know what step to take...
But I'm 21 without a job and school wise, just high school graduation. I'm what's called a highly sensitive person, which largely feeds into why hitting adult age so to speak, I keep slowing down as things get more complex. Stress and other aspects of my home life largely destroy my strength reserves and some days honestly just making myself take a shower feels like an accomplishment.
I really need to get a job though. I would be more willing to get one once I have my license, but my mom keeps insisting I should just do it, and school, right now. Which sounds again, pathetic, but its an extremely overwhelming thing for me to hear and I often just shut down. The worst part is either way, my mom said this year she's going to start charging me rent for living here. About 150 a month. Which honestly isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it does add stress to the whole situation.
I am vastly wary of doing school, even though CLEP testing and online courses are an option. I'm very slow when it comes to deadlines, and finished high school a year later than others my age, mainly because of being easily overwhelmed.
I don't expect a lot of advice, just encouragement I guess. I honestly don't know how much longer I can stand living in this house, which for me makes me lean towards finding a job or jobs so I can get independent.
I won't get into details, but my parents don't provide a supportive atmosphere in regard to my personal attributes, and though supportive over if I do school, its pretty much only support for what they want me to do.
Which in turn makes it very hard to even think of a job, it took me ages to even get out of a parking lot when I was learning, and still am, to drive. I'm easily overwhelmed by interaction social wise, I crash very easily afterwords, and everything just shuts down including my emotions, causing me to be very distant.
I don't know what step to take...
187008e47976df5e48be1a2aaddf54ba4af76fbc.gif
[center]@WreckandRule Everyone learns, develops, and copes with things in their own way and pace. You are not pathetic -- don't even harbor those types of thoughts. My parents are similar with the whole job/school/life/adult thing and it honestly stresses me to the point where I've just acted like I'm applying to places. Yes, I do end up applying... only to half of what I say. Not because I'm lazy, but because us humans have a thing called[i] mental and emotional health and happiness[/i]. It's not pathetic to know what you can and cannot deal with without having the chance to feel panicked and possibly hurt others. I see that your parents aren't accepting and encouraging of you. Maybe tell them that? Even if it ends up in a fight, you still get the chance to express how you feel. Talk to a friend who maybe will split apartment price? But just take it slow finding a job. They honestly can't expect you to pay when you're 'actively' searching -- or at least say you do if you take after me xD -- for a job. Good luck :D My inbox is open whenever. Remember: you is smart, you is kind, and you is important :D [img]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9nco15n2q1qzqdem.gif[/img][/center]
@WreckandRule

Everyone learns, develops, and copes with things in their own way and pace. You are not pathetic -- don't even harbor those types of thoughts. My parents are similar with the whole job/school/life/adult thing and it honestly stresses me to the point where I've just acted like I'm applying to places. Yes, I do end up applying... only to half of what I say. Not because I'm lazy, but because us humans have a thing called mental and emotional health and happiness. It's not pathetic to know what you can and cannot deal with without having the chance to feel panicked and possibly hurt others.
I see that your parents aren't accepting and encouraging of you. Maybe tell them that? Even if it ends up in a fight, you still get the chance to express how you feel. Talk to a friend who maybe will split apartment price? But just take it slow finding a job. They honestly can't expect you to pay when you're 'actively' searching -- or at least say you do if you take after me xD -- for a job.

Good luck :D
My inbox is open whenever. Remember: you is smart, you is kind, and you is important :D

tumblr_m9nco15n2q1qzqdem.gif
tumblr_nlpx6mT2wL1uql7fxo1_500.gif
are you in counseling? I would recommend that as the first step. then the therapist will be able to show you more steps and eventually you will be able to make it all the way to the top
of the stairs :-) I'm currently seeing my therapist twice a month, but I've been in therapy off and on for 4 years. I would recommend starting at once a week. if you can't afford it or don't have insurance, there are other options, you just need to look around. I'm not in school either because it just drains me, but schools offer free counseling, too.
are you in counseling? I would recommend that as the first step. then the therapist will be able to show you more steps and eventually you will be able to make it all the way to the top
of the stairs :-) I'm currently seeing my therapist twice a month, but I've been in therapy off and on for 4 years. I would recommend starting at once a week. if you can't afford it or don't have insurance, there are other options, you just need to look around. I'm not in school either because it just drains me, but schools offer free counseling, too.
dgCbOKw.png
@WreckandRule
hey!! if it makes you feel any better, i am also in a very similar situation.
i'm 19 (20 in March) and live with my boyfriend currently. i was in college for a year, and i didn't exactly flunk out, but i did lose my scholarship which was a full ride. so i dropped out.
it's been a semester since i was in school, and i still haven't found a job. my boyfriend's parents pay his rent and likely don't know i live with him as well. he used to have a job but quit to focus on school (he's 21.)
i feel INCREDIBLY lazy and pathetic. i've had jobs before, but not in over a year. i've applied places but haven't been hired. i don't have all that much experience. i'm going to apply to work at a coffee shop by the apartment soon, but who knows if i'll get the job. i don't even know what i want to do with my life. i draw, i was an art major, but i have such little motivation to accomplish anything. i'm consistently depressed, have bad social anxiety, etc.
OH ALSO - i can't drive. never took driver's ed. i get so much anxiety behind the wheel. my sister can't drive either, but she lives in NYC and can just take cabs and walk where she needs to go. she's 26 but has always been so much more successful than me - she finished school, worked in the fashion industry, and now has her dream job.
my 27 y/o brother is in prison so, he's at the opposite end of the success spectrum.

i often feel the same way you do though. so anxious, bad with deadlines, etc. it's really like a vicious cycle that i can't seem to break. we are so similar in that regard. like an earlier poster said, everyone takes their own time to do things. ease your way into the world - that's what i'm trying to do at least. take it slow. start out by going outside, hanging out places where other people are. do this regularly if you can. then, get a simple job - apply somewhere with a good atmosphere and hopefully nice people, and work your way up from there. even if you're not making a lot of money, at least you're getting some sort of experience as well as the confidence to get up everyday and do something. it's a small step for many, but for people like you and i, it will feel like such a milestone.
if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to message me! :)
@WreckandRule
hey!! if it makes you feel any better, i am also in a very similar situation.
i'm 19 (20 in March) and live with my boyfriend currently. i was in college for a year, and i didn't exactly flunk out, but i did lose my scholarship which was a full ride. so i dropped out.
it's been a semester since i was in school, and i still haven't found a job. my boyfriend's parents pay his rent and likely don't know i live with him as well. he used to have a job but quit to focus on school (he's 21.)
i feel INCREDIBLY lazy and pathetic. i've had jobs before, but not in over a year. i've applied places but haven't been hired. i don't have all that much experience. i'm going to apply to work at a coffee shop by the apartment soon, but who knows if i'll get the job. i don't even know what i want to do with my life. i draw, i was an art major, but i have such little motivation to accomplish anything. i'm consistently depressed, have bad social anxiety, etc.
OH ALSO - i can't drive. never took driver's ed. i get so much anxiety behind the wheel. my sister can't drive either, but she lives in NYC and can just take cabs and walk where she needs to go. she's 26 but has always been so much more successful than me - she finished school, worked in the fashion industry, and now has her dream job.
my 27 y/o brother is in prison so, he's at the opposite end of the success spectrum.

i often feel the same way you do though. so anxious, bad with deadlines, etc. it's really like a vicious cycle that i can't seem to break. we are so similar in that regard. like an earlier poster said, everyone takes their own time to do things. ease your way into the world - that's what i'm trying to do at least. take it slow. start out by going outside, hanging out places where other people are. do this regularly if you can. then, get a simple job - apply somewhere with a good atmosphere and hopefully nice people, and work your way up from there. even if you're not making a lot of money, at least you're getting some sort of experience as well as the confidence to get up everyday and do something. it's a small step for many, but for people like you and i, it will feel like such a milestone.
if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to message me! :)
2rrkpjq.png