Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [RANT] Group Projects
Everybody has had that moment where the teacher pairs you up and sends you off to work on a project that will make up a large portion of your grade. I was in English and we had a research paper to pair up and work on. I paired with my neighbor and thought everything would be smooth sailing from then on.
We had an easy topic with plenty of sources available and we only needed to write 6 pages. I have had to redo multiple paragraphs of his for the many errors plaguing them (No offense to Plague). I went back into the revision history and cut everything he has written together. Brace yourselves for this "masterpiece".

Impacts
There are many things that would be impacted if Sealand is considered a country, both good and bad. One good thing that would happen would be that people would actually recognize that Sealand is a country. One bad thing that would happen is that many more micronations would pop up and demand equality even though they were in a different situation.
Micronations
There are few differences between full blown nations and micronations. The one big difference is the size factor. There are 74 micronations around the world. All of these are not considered as nations.
Artificial Islands
There are many controversies that surround artificial islands. The biggest of these is the fact that many people say that they should not even exist. The problem is that they will have to be recognized in the future because the rising sea level is creating floating cities that they will have to recognize. One example of these is the Maldives. They constantly have to adapt to the changing conditions. One of these adaptations is the old road. The road is now floating and serves as a large dock.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
I work my life away to get into college classes while still in high school and he writes like this? A person accepted into college writes like this? That is unacceptable. I took up 4 pages and he couldn't even write to fill 1. I have been working my... cussing isn't allowed on Flight Rising but you get my point.
I'm not the best writer but at least I tried. I went and got official documents to cite and I read through hundreds of pages of UN treaties. He has done nothing and I'm on the verge of a panic attack.
Feel free to comment about my situation or post about your own experiences with group projects. I just want somebody to rant with me.
@Tsunderplane
Pinging you because I want you to read and rant with me. <3
Everybody has had that moment where the teacher pairs you up and sends you off to work on a project that will make up a large portion of your grade. I was in English and we had a research paper to pair up and work on. I paired with my neighbor and thought everything would be smooth sailing from then on.
We had an easy topic with plenty of sources available and we only needed to write 6 pages. I have had to redo multiple paragraphs of his for the many errors plaguing them (No offense to Plague). I went back into the revision history and cut everything he has written together. Brace yourselves for this "masterpiece".

Impacts
There are many things that would be impacted if Sealand is considered a country, both good and bad. One good thing that would happen would be that people would actually recognize that Sealand is a country. One bad thing that would happen is that many more micronations would pop up and demand equality even though they were in a different situation.
Micronations
There are few differences between full blown nations and micronations. The one big difference is the size factor. There are 74 micronations around the world. All of these are not considered as nations.
Artificial Islands
There are many controversies that surround artificial islands. The biggest of these is the fact that many people say that they should not even exist. The problem is that they will have to be recognized in the future because the rising sea level is creating floating cities that they will have to recognize. One example of these is the Maldives. They constantly have to adapt to the changing conditions. One of these adaptations is the old road. The road is now floating and serves as a large dock.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
I work my life away to get into college classes while still in high school and he writes like this? A person accepted into college writes like this? That is unacceptable. I took up 4 pages and he couldn't even write to fill 1. I have been working my... cussing isn't allowed on Flight Rising but you get my point.
I'm not the best writer but at least I tried. I went and got official documents to cite and I read through hundreds of pages of UN treaties. He has done nothing and I'm on the verge of a panic attack.
Feel free to comment about my situation or post about your own experiences with group projects. I just want somebody to rant with me.
@Tsunderplane
Pinging you because I want you to read and rant with me. <3
battle-of-the-bay-better-BETTER-version.gif
@Becca1232 honestly omg i'm not surprised.. i feel it though i always end up carrying the weight of projects too
@Becca1232 honestly omg i'm not surprised.. i feel it though i always end up carrying the weight of projects too

Delta, 24
He/Him/His
EDT, +3 hours FR time
Coli Enthusiast
LPHLLkz.png
@Tsunderplane
I can't even right now. Yesterday he even lied to my face when I asked if he had fixed his paragraphs. He hasn't touched it since December 1st.
@Tsunderplane
I can't even right now. Yesterday he even lied to my face when I asked if he had fixed his paragraphs. He hasn't touched it since December 1st.
@Becca1232
*Screech of discomfort*
Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooo
That's not cool </3

I'll admit I'm not the best student in the world, and I skipped out on a group project this year because the kid I was forced to work with was ungodly awful for my mental health, but that's neither here nor there.

When I was in High School, in Geology, we had to make little volcano displays in groups of two. My partner did one of the forty models that we were supposed to do, then promptly decided that I wasn't a part of the group and just sat doing nothing while I struggled to build everything up. I was missing about 5 of the little models and the teacher failed me in that class because my 'partner' decided to claim all of the work and the teacher believed him, DESPITE ME DOING ALL THE WORK IN FRONT OF HIM.
@Becca1232
*Screech of discomfort*
Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooo
That's not cool </3

I'll admit I'm not the best student in the world, and I skipped out on a group project this year because the kid I was forced to work with was ungodly awful for my mental health, but that's neither here nor there.

When I was in High School, in Geology, we had to make little volcano displays in groups of two. My partner did one of the forty models that we were supposed to do, then promptly decided that I wasn't a part of the group and just sat doing nothing while I struggled to build everything up. I was missing about 5 of the little models and the teacher failed me in that class because my 'partner' decided to claim all of the work and the teacher believed him, DESPITE ME DOING ALL THE WORK IN FRONT OF HIM.
Ping me pretty please! I love seeing responses!
@MidnightRein
I sent a message to my teacher so I'm hoping this will all get worked out. She said she knows our writing styles and can tell who has done what so I'm hoping our grades might look different. It totally sucks to have your credit stolen though! At least mine didn't get me in trouble, yours sounds like a horrible person! How awful, I can hardly believe somebody could lie like that and let you take the blame for him not doing anything. I hope you got that resolved and didn't have to repeat the class.
@MidnightRein
I sent a message to my teacher so I'm hoping this will all get worked out. She said she knows our writing styles and can tell who has done what so I'm hoping our grades might look different. It totally sucks to have your credit stolen though! At least mine didn't get me in trouble, yours sounds like a horrible person! How awful, I can hardly believe somebody could lie like that and let you take the blame for him not doing anything. I hope you got that resolved and didn't have to repeat the class.
man... that's awful. I bet he wrote it hours before he gave it to you.
man... that's awful. I bet he wrote it hours before he gave it to you.
xWoPUjI.png
*insert all the group project memes here*

I feel you. I consider myself lucky that I go to a high school for "academically gifted" kids, but I still run into stuff like this a bit. For example, I just had a group presentation over a play we were supposed to read. I read it, made notes for my part, and came to class. Presentation starts. First person in the group starts fine, but then goes off the deep, somehow misinterpreting a question about the setting. I go, do all the talking for my part. Third person goes, who I have just found out did all the "work" for his part the hour before during lunch, and basically just read the info off a singular webpage. -_-"

I also found out afterward that out of the three of us, I was the only one who actually even read the play we were supposed to be talking about.
*insert all the group project memes here*

I feel you. I consider myself lucky that I go to a high school for "academically gifted" kids, but I still run into stuff like this a bit. For example, I just had a group presentation over a play we were supposed to read. I read it, made notes for my part, and came to class. Presentation starts. First person in the group starts fine, but then goes off the deep, somehow misinterpreting a question about the setting. I go, do all the talking for my part. Third person goes, who I have just found out did all the "work" for his part the hour before during lunch, and basically just read the info off a singular webpage. -_-"

I also found out afterward that out of the three of us, I was the only one who actually even read the play we were supposed to be talking about.
ijSltiY.png OsScJdH.gif Y6PXVHf.gif IDpiM0V.gif
been there. done that. infinite sympathies...:<
been there. done that. infinite sympathies...:<
tVRq6jk.pngg0hFCu8.pnghmeUSax.png4c85ct1.png
@Hummbirds
Oh my goodness that's awful! I mean he hasn't written anything much but he knows about the topic. Doing a presentation like that just sounds so difficult. I can't even imagine watching somebody read right off a webpage for a presentation.

Sorry for lateness I've been working longer shifts lately.
@Hummbirds
Oh my goodness that's awful! I mean he hasn't written anything much but he knows about the topic. Doing a presentation like that just sounds so difficult. I can't even imagine watching somebody read right off a webpage for a presentation.

Sorry for lateness I've been working longer shifts lately.
Ugh, I can't stand people like that. I know that some people just do not have the same skill level as others, but there's a difference between that and just flat out putting no effort in. At least you know what you're doing! I really hope your teacher sees that; good work deserves to be rewarded, but too often isn't.

If it makes you feel any better, you want to hear my group project horror story?

Let me set the scene: 5 years ago, in a high school drama class largely composed of 9th graders, our assignment was to write a short play and perform it in class.

We were separated into groups of three. There was me, the incredibly nervous but deadly serious about grades girl. One of my partners was a silent loner who, when we had previously worked together, was content to let me do all the work even though it freaked me out to do so. The other partner was an energetic boy, a troublemaker who at some times appeared to be nice to me and at other times appeared to be making fun of me.

So yeah, what a lovely setup to start with. But it gets worse.

The idea was that two people would perform each play (you didn't perform in your own play, just helped your group members with staging, etc.), so over the course of a week you were supposed to figure out your performances. Well, the boy managed to get himself in trouble, so he got stuck in in-school suspension, thus he was not there during the week. The girl and I, unsure of what had happened (no one informed us of his predicament), just sort of looked at each others' scripts and sat in awkward silence for the duration of the period.

We finally met with our other partner... the day we were supposed to be performing. Now, I should point out that we were allowed to use the scripts while we were performing; however, considering we were looking at his script for the first time that day... *sigh* For what it's worth, I attempted to give my practically cold reading some depth to it. Everyone laughed when I had to deliver my line containing some, uh, swearing (though they may have been laughing at how ridiculous *I* sounded saying it; I couldn't tell). At any rate, my partners certainly did not help me, nor did they put any effort at all into reading MY script. I felt like a fool. I did get an A, though (bless my teacher).

Anyway, uh, sorry to answer your rant with a rant of my own, but... I can sympathize, is what I'm trying to say.
Ugh, I can't stand people like that. I know that some people just do not have the same skill level as others, but there's a difference between that and just flat out putting no effort in. At least you know what you're doing! I really hope your teacher sees that; good work deserves to be rewarded, but too often isn't.

If it makes you feel any better, you want to hear my group project horror story?

Let me set the scene: 5 years ago, in a high school drama class largely composed of 9th graders, our assignment was to write a short play and perform it in class.

We were separated into groups of three. There was me, the incredibly nervous but deadly serious about grades girl. One of my partners was a silent loner who, when we had previously worked together, was content to let me do all the work even though it freaked me out to do so. The other partner was an energetic boy, a troublemaker who at some times appeared to be nice to me and at other times appeared to be making fun of me.

So yeah, what a lovely setup to start with. But it gets worse.

The idea was that two people would perform each play (you didn't perform in your own play, just helped your group members with staging, etc.), so over the course of a week you were supposed to figure out your performances. Well, the boy managed to get himself in trouble, so he got stuck in in-school suspension, thus he was not there during the week. The girl and I, unsure of what had happened (no one informed us of his predicament), just sort of looked at each others' scripts and sat in awkward silence for the duration of the period.

We finally met with our other partner... the day we were supposed to be performing. Now, I should point out that we were allowed to use the scripts while we were performing; however, considering we were looking at his script for the first time that day... *sigh* For what it's worth, I attempted to give my practically cold reading some depth to it. Everyone laughed when I had to deliver my line containing some, uh, swearing (though they may have been laughing at how ridiculous *I* sounded saying it; I couldn't tell). At any rate, my partners certainly did not help me, nor did they put any effort at all into reading MY script. I felt like a fool. I did get an A, though (bless my teacher).

Anyway, uh, sorry to answer your rant with a rant of my own, but... I can sympathize, is what I'm trying to say.