Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Humans are disgusting.
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I'm going to formally apologize to anyone who I might have offended in this thread. I didn't mean to come off like an ******* but I did and for that I will apologize. If you wish for something in return just ping me. I didn't mean to create such a clutter****.
I'm going to formally apologize to anyone who I might have offended in this thread. I didn't mean to come off like an ******* but I did and for that I will apologize. If you wish for something in return just ping me. I didn't mean to create such a clutter****.
@dggeoff @Poi Come on now this is a thread about discussing the moral quandaries of squashing bugs. If your going to silently judge with a gif at least make it insect themed. [img]http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lumtb7LzFH1r5ujkxo1_500.gif[/img]
@dggeoff @Poi

Come on now this is a thread about discussing the moral quandaries of squashing bugs. If your going to silently judge with a gif at least make it insect themed.

tumblr_lumtb7LzFH1r5ujkxo1_500.gif
@Krissim

The way insect mouths move is so fascinating. I love mantises....Manti?...What is the plural for a Mantis LOL. But yeah.
@Krissim

The way insect mouths move is so fascinating. I love mantises....Manti?...What is the plural for a Mantis LOL. But yeah.
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o3_75sq.gifYou Just gestured to all of me!tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o4_75sq.gif
@Claptrap I enjoy watching insects munch on food also. Watching insects groom can also be entertaining and it never gets old watching a mantis reach back with one of its claws to gently guide its leg over so it can clean its foot.

You can use mantises or mantids as a plural form.
@Claptrap I enjoy watching insects munch on food also. Watching insects groom can also be entertaining and it never gets old watching a mantis reach back with one of its claws to gently guide its leg over so it can clean its foot.

You can use mantises or mantids as a plural form.
If you "value all life" you're gonna want to AVOID poison, it's better for everything in the long run to moosh it straight up. Poison gets in the ground water and contaminates it. Poison kills animals other than the one you meant to kill. Poison can poison animals that eat the dead animal you killed with it.

Vultures are declining in something like 90% of their range because of poisoned carrion they eat, from animals that died from ingesting it. Poison often takes hours or even days to kill. It's indiscriminate and ugly and no true friend of all living things can honestly argue that it's better for anyone just because it looks less violent than a quick stomp. Poisons, especially insecticides, are partially to blame for the decline of bees and butterflies, which are important pollinators that will take us with them when they go extinct because almost literally everything we eat depends on them.

Using poison saves nothing, except for your feelings. If you're going to kill something, kill it outright, quickly. A hard stomp on a small bug is a way better option than coating the area in literal toxic chemical to get rid of it.

The mindset that because you didn't get your hands dirty with a big flashy act of violence by directly killing it is an incredibly dangerous and misinformed road to walk on.
If you "value all life" you're gonna want to AVOID poison, it's better for everything in the long run to moosh it straight up. Poison gets in the ground water and contaminates it. Poison kills animals other than the one you meant to kill. Poison can poison animals that eat the dead animal you killed with it.

Vultures are declining in something like 90% of their range because of poisoned carrion they eat, from animals that died from ingesting it. Poison often takes hours or even days to kill. It's indiscriminate and ugly and no true friend of all living things can honestly argue that it's better for anyone just because it looks less violent than a quick stomp. Poisons, especially insecticides, are partially to blame for the decline of bees and butterflies, which are important pollinators that will take us with them when they go extinct because almost literally everything we eat depends on them.

Using poison saves nothing, except for your feelings. If you're going to kill something, kill it outright, quickly. A hard stomp on a small bug is a way better option than coating the area in literal toxic chemical to get rid of it.

The mindset that because you didn't get your hands dirty with a big flashy act of violence by directly killing it is an incredibly dangerous and misinformed road to walk on.
@Krissim

Ah sweet I'll remember that! :D
And yes, I love watching insects clean their lil' antennae, watching flies rub their little legs together looking mildly diabolical haha. Bugs are awesome, I do less good with spiders but I'm fine as long as they're not on me, I still think they're amazingly efficient critters and can totally respect them, even if I might not like to get near them.
@Krissim

Ah sweet I'll remember that! :D
And yes, I love watching insects clean their lil' antennae, watching flies rub their little legs together looking mildly diabolical haha. Bugs are awesome, I do less good with spiders but I'm fine as long as they're not on me, I still think they're amazingly efficient critters and can totally respect them, even if I might not like to get near them.
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o3_75sq.gifYou Just gestured to all of me!tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o4_75sq.gif
I was emotionally traumatized for days bc I stepped on a wooly bear caterpillar bare-footed and it made this horrible noise I will never forget that haunts me to this day
it was an accident
other times I see a spider and I just KILL THE 8-LEGGED DADDY
(rly who named daddy-long legs...??? 'ooo look it's got Long legs i think I'll call it... daddy...”
I was emotionally traumatized for days bc I stepped on a wooly bear caterpillar bare-footed and it made this horrible noise I will never forget that haunts me to this day
it was an accident
other times I see a spider and I just KILL THE 8-LEGGED DADDY
(rly who named daddy-long legs...??? 'ooo look it's got Long legs i think I'll call it... daddy...”
FR Blog
Main/Humor blog
I consider myself to have a good adherence to live and let live. I myself don't get the whole idea of being morally obligated to be a vegetarian. There's a decent scientific base about long term health effects Vegetarianism and Veganism give, especially pertaining to things like mental health, mood and energy level. In my own opinion, humans aren't well equipped enough to be herbivorous. We can't operate without the nourishment specifically provided in its most digestible form (to us) by animal matter. They discover nutrition in plants all the time, does that mean we can access it and put it in a form our bodies can use? No, not always. For that reason alone we rely on animal matter to function properly. The very idea that something is "tasty" is because your body is telling you that it wants it for metabolic reasons. Same reason why we crave certain foods. The body is looking for something.

Vegetarian thing aside, this kind of thing was a slow lesson for me, for insects in particular. I am phobic of spiders and parasites. Seeing spiders, fleas, ticks, leeches, worms, etc. seriously make my skin crawl and make me very uncomfortable to the point where I get paranoid about their presence. Earthworms, adult flies (larvae in large amounts bother me), and mosquitoes are just fine.

I will still remorselessly go after parasites (they're just not good to have around period), but spiders were a bit of a learning experience, especially during the winter. I grew to tolerate and even appreciate them in small doses. Small, small doses.

I kept a spiderbro in the house during the fall and winter months, just a small (no bigger than a nickel), brown nondescript little guy that would sit in his/her cobwebs way on the other side of the room from me in my office and wander walls of the house at night to hunt. The insects that would come in seeking shelter from the elements would meet spiderbro sooner or later, unfortunately for them.

I'd just make sure that when spring came around and it was warm enough that spiderbro got kicked outside. It worked out quite well and I had a few generations of spiderbros keeping the squatters down to a dull roar.
I consider myself to have a good adherence to live and let live. I myself don't get the whole idea of being morally obligated to be a vegetarian. There's a decent scientific base about long term health effects Vegetarianism and Veganism give, especially pertaining to things like mental health, mood and energy level. In my own opinion, humans aren't well equipped enough to be herbivorous. We can't operate without the nourishment specifically provided in its most digestible form (to us) by animal matter. They discover nutrition in plants all the time, does that mean we can access it and put it in a form our bodies can use? No, not always. For that reason alone we rely on animal matter to function properly. The very idea that something is "tasty" is because your body is telling you that it wants it for metabolic reasons. Same reason why we crave certain foods. The body is looking for something.

Vegetarian thing aside, this kind of thing was a slow lesson for me, for insects in particular. I am phobic of spiders and parasites. Seeing spiders, fleas, ticks, leeches, worms, etc. seriously make my skin crawl and make me very uncomfortable to the point where I get paranoid about their presence. Earthworms, adult flies (larvae in large amounts bother me), and mosquitoes are just fine.

I will still remorselessly go after parasites (they're just not good to have around period), but spiders were a bit of a learning experience, especially during the winter. I grew to tolerate and even appreciate them in small doses. Small, small doses.

I kept a spiderbro in the house during the fall and winter months, just a small (no bigger than a nickel), brown nondescript little guy that would sit in his/her cobwebs way on the other side of the room from me in my office and wander walls of the house at night to hunt. The insects that would come in seeking shelter from the elements would meet spiderbro sooner or later, unfortunately for them.

I'd just make sure that when spring came around and it was warm enough that spiderbro got kicked outside. It worked out quite well and I had a few generations of spiderbros keeping the squatters down to a dull roar.
Goal Ticklist
LF Studs - help develop rare color combos!
Oh my god you guys...

Okay. It has come to the point where I believe that I need to give an explanation and answer open to everyone.

I had one point. My point being that if a helpless, harmless bug isn't being a pest or doing any damage, simply let it be. That is literally all.

I also take it that none of you realize that I was infuriated when I posted this? Huh? I was angry - and news flash - angry people say things they don't mean. Not every single human being is disgusting. I'm saying that it makes me upset when people take the life of creatures that weren't even doing anything.

I was irritated that the boy felt the need to get up and kill it when it was obvious I was trying to keep it safe. It was nobody's place to do that. It was very unnecessary.

To people with phobias, I need you to understand that I understand that phobias aren't something you can control. But my emotional sensitivity isn't either.

To people the people saying I could have let it outside, that's what I would have normally done. But I was in the middle of class and all the way on the second floor of my school. Wasn't much I could do.

To the people judging me for thinking poison is better: In my opinion, poison is better than having dead bug smashed all over your floor. when I went to school today there was literally still insides and limbs smeared on the floor. Lovely.

One last thing...how the actual heck did this go from bugs and beetles to vegetarians and cannibalism..? Like, just..what? No, seriously. We're talking about bugs. Bugs. And suddenly we need to rename the thread 'Vegetarians vs Meat eaters.'

After I get confirmation that at least one person saw this, I'll have the thread locked as to not have anymore chaos.

--My sister saw stuff on tumblr that looked like it could be about this...lol I'm sorry--
Oh my god you guys...

Okay. It has come to the point where I believe that I need to give an explanation and answer open to everyone.

I had one point. My point being that if a helpless, harmless bug isn't being a pest or doing any damage, simply let it be. That is literally all.

I also take it that none of you realize that I was infuriated when I posted this? Huh? I was angry - and news flash - angry people say things they don't mean. Not every single human being is disgusting. I'm saying that it makes me upset when people take the life of creatures that weren't even doing anything.

I was irritated that the boy felt the need to get up and kill it when it was obvious I was trying to keep it safe. It was nobody's place to do that. It was very unnecessary.

To people with phobias, I need you to understand that I understand that phobias aren't something you can control. But my emotional sensitivity isn't either.

To people the people saying I could have let it outside, that's what I would have normally done. But I was in the middle of class and all the way on the second floor of my school. Wasn't much I could do.

To the people judging me for thinking poison is better: In my opinion, poison is better than having dead bug smashed all over your floor. when I went to school today there was literally still insides and limbs smeared on the floor. Lovely.

One last thing...how the actual heck did this go from bugs and beetles to vegetarians and cannibalism..? Like, just..what? No, seriously. We're talking about bugs. Bugs. And suddenly we need to rename the thread 'Vegetarians vs Meat eaters.'

After I get confirmation that at least one person saw this, I'll have the thread locked as to not have anymore chaos.

--My sister saw stuff on tumblr that looked like it could be about this...lol I'm sorry--
graficos-pixel-hello-kitty.gif
Poison kills slowly and painfully. It might not leave a mess, sure, but it is inhumane when you have every option to take that live quickly and painlessly.

Poison doesn't just kill one life - it kills the lives around it.

Gore =/= inhumane. Stuff gets squished. Squishy stuff is gross. But why would you choose a slow and painful death (which leads to the death of the things around it) over a quick, painless one? Where's the logic behind that?
Poison kills slowly and painfully. It might not leave a mess, sure, but it is inhumane when you have every option to take that live quickly and painlessly.

Poison doesn't just kill one life - it kills the lives around it.

Gore =/= inhumane. Stuff gets squished. Squishy stuff is gross. But why would you choose a slow and painful death (which leads to the death of the things around it) over a quick, painless one? Where's the logic behind that?
h4uz0mr.gif
1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16