Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | ..why do people hate girly girls?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
internalized misogyny
because liking anything "feminine" and "girly" is EVIL and BAD and should be hated.
idk. it's dumb.
internalized misogyny
because liking anything "feminine" and "girly" is EVIL and BAD and should be hated.
idk. it's dumb.
LIo8D8G.gif
[quote name="Pardra" date=2015-09-22 10:01:36] I don't think it's really misogyny or feminism or anything like that. I don't think people hate girly girls or else lolita fashion wouldn't be growing or popular. It's more of a lack of choice about the toys and such when growing up. It was never my dad or males that would get upset if I didn't play with girly stuff. My dad bought me Lincoln Logs and stuff like that. Mom was always very "that's for boys" "video games are for boys" "don't sit like that, it isn't ladylike". [/quote] @pardra thank you this is exactly how i feel people bringing up feminism confused me because i have seen so many feminists say that being feminine was empowering for them and scrambling to prove that they're not "man-hating lesbians"??
Pardra wrote on 2015-09-22:
I don't think it's really misogyny or feminism or anything like that.

I don't think people hate girly girls or else lolita fashion wouldn't be growing or popular. It's more of a lack of choice about the toys and such when growing up. It was never my dad or males that would get upset if I didn't play with girly stuff. My dad bought me Lincoln Logs and stuff like that. Mom was always very "that's for boys" "video games are for boys" "don't sit like that, it isn't ladylike".
@pardra thank you this is exactly how i feel

people bringing up feminism confused me because i have seen so many feminists say that being feminine was empowering for them and scrambling to prove that they're not "man-hating lesbians"??
@Astrofiziks

That's because there's a lot of different groups under the feminist label. Some look down on those for liking 'traditional' things, others look down on women that like 'masculine' things. Teen me was an idiot and fell under the former, but I've experienced firsthand the latter and it's just as bad.

Of course, this isn't counting the other groups under the feminist label that focus on other things and don't care and so forth. It's very hard to really pin what feminists want because outside of agreeing that they want to be equal to men, there's a lot of infighting on what feminism really is and so forth.

Hence why I don't consider myself one because while I have ideas similar to it, having been a bad one as well as experiencing other bad ones, I just want nothing to do with it anymore. I'm very sour on it.

Also, my dad and brother didn't care if I liked girly things or boy things. Only my mom really did and even then my dad basically told her to just let me figure things out on my own. So after a while, she did. For the most part.
@Astrofiziks

That's because there's a lot of different groups under the feminist label. Some look down on those for liking 'traditional' things, others look down on women that like 'masculine' things. Teen me was an idiot and fell under the former, but I've experienced firsthand the latter and it's just as bad.

Of course, this isn't counting the other groups under the feminist label that focus on other things and don't care and so forth. It's very hard to really pin what feminists want because outside of agreeing that they want to be equal to men, there's a lot of infighting on what feminism really is and so forth.

Hence why I don't consider myself one because while I have ideas similar to it, having been a bad one as well as experiencing other bad ones, I just want nothing to do with it anymore. I'm very sour on it.

Also, my dad and brother didn't care if I liked girly things or boy things. Only my mom really did and even then my dad basically told her to just let me figure things out on my own. So after a while, she did. For the most part.
Coelum Ad Proelium Elige
I own the most wonderful Shiba Inus named Jiro and Lou!
tumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.pngtumblr_ns64vqP8Fx1tm17oeo2_75sq.png
What do Shiba Inus~ like to dream about? Is it dancing Hainus?
@ashotinthedark

that's why i was confused by people blaming feminism in general because a lot of feminists do not hold the same ideals

i agree that tearing down women based on what they like to wear is a bad thing, and both sides need to stop. however i think people need to bring more attention to the hate on gnc women too because i don't see much support for them

i don't really consider myself a feminist either because i'm tired of the lesbophobia that comes from the more liberal side of it :/
@ashotinthedark

that's why i was confused by people blaming feminism in general because a lot of feminists do not hold the same ideals

i agree that tearing down women based on what they like to wear is a bad thing, and both sides need to stop. however i think people need to bring more attention to the hate on gnc women too because i don't see much support for them

i don't really consider myself a feminist either because i'm tired of the lesbophobia that comes from the more liberal side of it :/
I think it's probably internalized hatred from the fact that everything for little girls is always pink and girly + how girls are "supposed" to enjoy those things. A lot of kids (in North America, anyway) are forced into liking things because of our traditional gender roles, which leaves a lot of people bitter. A girl who's forced into wearing/playing with pink "girl" things when she doesn't want to will probably develop a strong dislike of "girly" things.

Blessedly, I never had to deal with the "But that's a BOY toy!" junk when I was little-- my parents let my sister and I play with whatever we wanted, with the exception of toy guns (since they didn't want us shooting each other, haha). I used to play with my plastic dragons in a pool from a Barbie doll set.
I think it's probably internalized hatred from the fact that everything for little girls is always pink and girly + how girls are "supposed" to enjoy those things. A lot of kids (in North America, anyway) are forced into liking things because of our traditional gender roles, which leaves a lot of people bitter. A girl who's forced into wearing/playing with pink "girl" things when she doesn't want to will probably develop a strong dislike of "girly" things.

Blessedly, I never had to deal with the "But that's a BOY toy!" junk when I was little-- my parents let my sister and I play with whatever we wanted, with the exception of toy guns (since they didn't want us shooting each other, haha). I used to play with my plastic dragons in a pool from a Barbie doll set.
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
Honestly, people hate anything teen girls like. Pink? Gotta hate it. Twilight? oh no its a curse. boy bands? UGHHHHh like, its this sexist thing thats super prevelent in society to just hate anything a teen girl/ young girl likes. but the second boys get into it...its cool. (*cough* MLP *cough*) and so then girls that experience this grow up hating girly stuff bc its been drilled into their heads to hate it by basically everyone. also all the stuff basically everyones said above this lol
Honestly, people hate anything teen girls like. Pink? Gotta hate it. Twilight? oh no its a curse. boy bands? UGHHHHh like, its this sexist thing thats super prevelent in society to just hate anything a teen girl/ young girl likes. but the second boys get into it...its cool. (*cough* MLP *cough*) and so then girls that experience this grow up hating girly stuff bc its been drilled into their heads to hate it by basically everyone. also all the stuff basically everyones said above this lol
tumblr_nuy00pkFIW1uxrs0vo2_500.png
@k8tthekitty

I think that's debatable. Personally, I find a lot of bronies to be creepy in how they will try to push the show on others. MLP isn't my thing in the least bit. I'm not ever going to consider it "cool".

As far as Twilight goes, many don't like it because it portrays a very abusive relationship.
@k8tthekitty

I think that's debatable. Personally, I find a lot of bronies to be creepy in how they will try to push the show on others. MLP isn't my thing in the least bit. I'm not ever going to consider it "cool".

As far as Twilight goes, many don't like it because it portrays a very abusive relationship.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
@demonically
for the twilight thing, before people even tried to see what its about to figure out that it was abusive people crapped on me for just owning the books. like, i used to read them a lot bc it was a fast read and entertained me. but people honestly got on my case just for liking it. not for it representing abuse. at the time no one even knew that bc it was such a fad to HATE on it relentlessly and make young girls feel like poop for something theyre interested in.

i was also bullied out of mlp. when i was VERY young, the target demo for it, some dude came up and told me that the show wasnt for ME it was for hIM and then the only time it was positively spoken about was when an adult guy liked it. (tHEn came the gross stuff along with it after that)

people have for decades put down girls because of what theyre interested in for literally no reason. its always happened. its so bad.
@demonically
for the twilight thing, before people even tried to see what its about to figure out that it was abusive people crapped on me for just owning the books. like, i used to read them a lot bc it was a fast read and entertained me. but people honestly got on my case just for liking it. not for it representing abuse. at the time no one even knew that bc it was such a fad to HATE on it relentlessly and make young girls feel like poop for something theyre interested in.

i was also bullied out of mlp. when i was VERY young, the target demo for it, some dude came up and told me that the show wasnt for ME it was for hIM and then the only time it was positively spoken about was when an adult guy liked it. (tHEn came the gross stuff along with it after that)

people have for decades put down girls because of what theyre interested in for literally no reason. its always happened. its so bad.
tumblr_nuy00pkFIW1uxrs0vo2_500.png
Well I am very young person here playing this game and I totally with you acurd. I am not a lover of pink but I don't anderstand why people bother persons who likes diferentes things I mean most of the people at my school boder me because I love dragons and is like what's your problem you like something I like dragons I don't boder you because you don't like the same things as me . I hate when people talk bad of someone or bother him or her. I don't accept that I pass throw this and is not nice is horrible @Mime
Well I am very young person here playing this game and I totally with you acurd. I am not a lover of pink but I don't anderstand why people bother persons who likes diferentes things I mean most of the people at my school boder me because I love dragons and is like what's your problem you like something I like dragons I don't boder you because you don't like the same things as me . I hate when people talk bad of someone or bother him or her. I don't accept that I pass throw this and is not nice is horrible @Mime
1BdMCur.png
*strums guitar* society teaches girls self-loathing from a young age, and those feelings carry over into adulthood
*strums guitar* society teaches girls self-loathing from a young age, and those feelings carry over into adulthood
VOIPBvS.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7