Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Should I go to SeaWorld?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
@hinotoriii

A bigger tank wouldn't fix things because these animals cannot properly live in captivity. Humans cannot provide the proper enrichment for them to be able to thrive.

These animals are shown to live far shorter lives in captivity then in the wild. In the wild, orcas live to around 30-50 years, depending on the gender. Some have even lived longer. Captive orcas rarely live to be older then 25.

These animals cannot live in captivity period. And a fancy new tank isn't going to fix things.
@hinotoriii

A bigger tank wouldn't fix things because these animals cannot properly live in captivity. Humans cannot provide the proper enrichment for them to be able to thrive.

These animals are shown to live far shorter lives in captivity then in the wild. In the wild, orcas live to around 30-50 years, depending on the gender. Some have even lived longer. Captive orcas rarely live to be older then 25.

These animals cannot live in captivity period. And a fancy new tank isn't going to fix things.
-woody
-she/her
-very bisexual
-type 1 diabetic
-dragon sales
-coli grinding
0a336a4f9a312bb09aa01acd45192ada8875c8ea.png shadow.gif
@Woodenclaw
100% approve that post.

As well as some good things don't make up for letting other animals suffer.
"I tortured a cat but that's okay because I gave my dog food today."
Yeah.
@Woodenclaw
100% approve that post.

As well as some good things don't make up for letting other animals suffer.
"I tortured a cat but that's okay because I gave my dog food today."
Yeah.
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
@Archiehicox

Such training practices are banned in AZA institutions, thank you very much.
No, calves are not just taken from their mothers. In the past, have they rarely been transferred to other facilities in order to maintain a health gene pool? Yes.
But with the advances in AI technology, facilities are now able to keep genetic diversity by having male genes sent to them in a canister instead of having to transfer individuals. This is a pretty new thing, and it's only been starting to be used in the past few years.

Again, husbandry is a science. We in the field are always trying to improve our standards in order to make life better for the animals in our care.

@Woodenclaw
Because the animal is choosing to do it, and is doing so enthusiastically. You should research things like variable reinforcement, or try such practices with your animals at home, should you have any. I think you would understand what I'm talking about.

Moreover, body language is an excellent way to gauge an animal's emotional state, as well as vocalizations.

Furthermore, you don't need to complain to be about the dangers of anthropomorphism. It has always been a huge issue for us in the husbandry field, especially when you get organizations like PETA involved.

Any treats an animal gets is either in addition to a normal diet or is a part of the diet, and leftovers are fed out after the training sessions during regular meals in order to ensure a proper diet. The animals are not being forced to perform in order to eat.

And yes, they do get a proper diet. There are entire jobs and careers devoted to this.

Rehabilitation is not magic. Sometimes animals are not fit to return to the wild, and must either be humanely euthanized or kept in captivity.
@Archiehicox

Such training practices are banned in AZA institutions, thank you very much.
No, calves are not just taken from their mothers. In the past, have they rarely been transferred to other facilities in order to maintain a health gene pool? Yes.
But with the advances in AI technology, facilities are now able to keep genetic diversity by having male genes sent to them in a canister instead of having to transfer individuals. This is a pretty new thing, and it's only been starting to be used in the past few years.

Again, husbandry is a science. We in the field are always trying to improve our standards in order to make life better for the animals in our care.

@Woodenclaw
Because the animal is choosing to do it, and is doing so enthusiastically. You should research things like variable reinforcement, or try such practices with your animals at home, should you have any. I think you would understand what I'm talking about.

Moreover, body language is an excellent way to gauge an animal's emotional state, as well as vocalizations.

Furthermore, you don't need to complain to be about the dangers of anthropomorphism. It has always been a huge issue for us in the husbandry field, especially when you get organizations like PETA involved.

Any treats an animal gets is either in addition to a normal diet or is a part of the diet, and leftovers are fed out after the training sessions during regular meals in order to ensure a proper diet. The animals are not being forced to perform in order to eat.

And yes, they do get a proper diet. There are entire jobs and careers devoted to this.

Rehabilitation is not magic. Sometimes animals are not fit to return to the wild, and must either be humanely euthanized or kept in captivity.
@woodenclaw

Also, your information about captive orca lifespan is simply false.
Well, it may be true for other facilities, but not Seaworld.
@woodenclaw

Also, your information about captive orca lifespan is simply false.
Well, it may be true for other facilities, but not Seaworld.
@Pitbull
You're welcome.

I'd say first improve standards, then get animals, instead for using them as guinea pigs.
@Pitbull
You're welcome.

I'd say first improve standards, then get animals, instead for using them as guinea pigs.
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
I find it almost funny that the most vehemently and opinionated posts seem to be based on nothing more than guilt trips and a heavily biased documentary (and probably bleeding heart tumblr activist posts). Whereas the arguments to look at both sides with an open mind/acknowledging the good SeaWorld has done are the posts that are well researched and coming from a qualified professional.

Look, I came into this thread to say a firm NO WAY NOT EVER too (source/qualifications: I also watched Blackfish), but after reading through every post I'm appreciating the other side of the argument a lot more.
I find it almost funny that the most vehemently and opinionated posts seem to be based on nothing more than guilt trips and a heavily biased documentary (and probably bleeding heart tumblr activist posts). Whereas the arguments to look at both sides with an open mind/acknowledging the good SeaWorld has done are the posts that are well researched and coming from a qualified professional.

Look, I came into this thread to say a firm NO WAY NOT EVER too (source/qualifications: I also watched Blackfish), but after reading through every post I'm appreciating the other side of the argument a lot more.
Blackfish is very revealing, if a little on the emotive side, though if she's convinced its all just overblown propaganda by a bunch of bleeding hearts it might just fall on deaf ears. I'd start by trying to engage her interest in them as creatures more positively. Make it something you can both learn about together by watching some good documentaries and reading up on them, once she starts to see just what social, intelligent animals they are, creatures that naturally live decades and roam hundreds of miles together in tight knit family groups, she'll start to understand why you can't keep an animal like that happy in captivity. Suggest you go on some sort of whale watching trip instead, where you can really appreciate them to their fullest in their natural environment, instead of as a novelty attraction.

There's a bunch of documentaries up on youtube, anything by bbc or national geographic is generally good.
Blackfish is very revealing, if a little on the emotive side, though if she's convinced its all just overblown propaganda by a bunch of bleeding hearts it might just fall on deaf ears. I'd start by trying to engage her interest in them as creatures more positively. Make it something you can both learn about together by watching some good documentaries and reading up on them, once she starts to see just what social, intelligent animals they are, creatures that naturally live decades and roam hundreds of miles together in tight knit family groups, she'll start to understand why you can't keep an animal like that happy in captivity. Suggest you go on some sort of whale watching trip instead, where you can really appreciate them to their fullest in their natural environment, instead of as a novelty attraction.

There's a bunch of documentaries up on youtube, anything by bbc or national geographic is generally good.
@Archiehicox

Again, not denying they've transferred individuals. I'm sure that before we truly knew how important the family bond was to large, intelligent mammals, many mistakes were made.
However, some of the sources that article lists contains some inaccuracies regarding their tracking of whale movements. I wouldn't use that as an end-all-be-all for the argument.

Unfortunately, whilst that is indeed the process used in AZA organizations today, let's not kid ourselves.
Zoos and aquariums started as nothing BUT entertainment.
Conditions were horrid. No cared about the animals.
But things have greatly improved since then. But we in the industry already had those animals before we realized just what their needs really were. All we can do is try to improve their conditions as much as we can when new information comes out. You think we in the industry don't feel guilty about our past? That we don't panic and freak out when research comes out and says our husbandry needs to be updated?

We can't just get rid of the animals we have now and put them in the wild. It would kill them. Our ONLY option is to update their husbandry while they are in our care.

I stated previously that I do not think current, in-practice orca husbandry standards are adequate. But seaworld is in the process of updating these standards. And that is what matters.

@Archiehicox

Again, not denying they've transferred individuals. I'm sure that before we truly knew how important the family bond was to large, intelligent mammals, many mistakes were made.
However, some of the sources that article lists contains some inaccuracies regarding their tracking of whale movements. I wouldn't use that as an end-all-be-all for the argument.

Unfortunately, whilst that is indeed the process used in AZA organizations today, let's not kid ourselves.
Zoos and aquariums started as nothing BUT entertainment.
Conditions were horrid. No cared about the animals.
But things have greatly improved since then. But we in the industry already had those animals before we realized just what their needs really were. All we can do is try to improve their conditions as much as we can when new information comes out. You think we in the industry don't feel guilty about our past? That we don't panic and freak out when research comes out and says our husbandry needs to be updated?

We can't just get rid of the animals we have now and put them in the wild. It would kill them. Our ONLY option is to update their husbandry while they are in our care.

I stated previously that I do not think current, in-practice orca husbandry standards are adequate. But seaworld is in the process of updating these standards. And that is what matters.

@Pitbull

Going to repeat myself one more time; they can't live properly in captivity at all. Its been proven time and time again. And the reason these animals can't be released is because we bred them for no good reason. Its as bad as that Tiger Temple in Thailand or Myrtle Beach Safari. I would go into more detail but I'm on mobile right now

Do you have reliable sources for your information? Because without your argument is falling apart.
@Pitbull

Going to repeat myself one more time; they can't live properly in captivity at all. Its been proven time and time again. And the reason these animals can't be released is because we bred them for no good reason. Its as bad as that Tiger Temple in Thailand or Myrtle Beach Safari. I would go into more detail but I'm on mobile right now

Do you have reliable sources for your information? Because without your argument is falling apart.
-woody
-she/her
-very bisexual
-type 1 diabetic
-dragon sales
-coli grinding
0a336a4f9a312bb09aa01acd45192ada8875c8ea.png shadow.gif
The Dodo isn't really a credible source (same thing with the opposing news source, Awesome Ocean). Many of the most ardent anti-caps don't like how it communicates their message.
While it's definitely worth reading what former trainers have to say, I would also be a little leery of information they share. Many of them were fired for misconduct (one for allegedly kicking an otter) and have an ax to grind.

Just addressing a former point, animal trainers very often use reinforcers that are not necessarily food. For orcas, toys, ice, gelatin, and tactile reinforcers are used. The animals are fed their base daily diet regardless of whether or not they perform. Some of the orcas at SeaWorld (Kanduke and Tilikum) have actually suffered from obesity.

Personally, I much prefer to see animals in the wild, but observing animals in the wild can be bad for them too. Whales are often disturbed by boat noise and traffic, and in the case of the SRKWs, they are often constantly followed by well-intentioned whale watchers. No matter how you choose to view wildlife, research is important. :)
The Dodo isn't really a credible source (same thing with the opposing news source, Awesome Ocean). Many of the most ardent anti-caps don't like how it communicates their message.
While it's definitely worth reading what former trainers have to say, I would also be a little leery of information they share. Many of them were fired for misconduct (one for allegedly kicking an otter) and have an ax to grind.

Just addressing a former point, animal trainers very often use reinforcers that are not necessarily food. For orcas, toys, ice, gelatin, and tactile reinforcers are used. The animals are fed their base daily diet regardless of whether or not they perform. Some of the orcas at SeaWorld (Kanduke and Tilikum) have actually suffered from obesity.

Personally, I much prefer to see animals in the wild, but observing animals in the wild can be bad for them too. Whales are often disturbed by boat noise and traffic, and in the case of the SRKWs, they are often constantly followed by well-intentioned whale watchers. No matter how you choose to view wildlife, research is important. :)
ornithology, birding, aviculture, and museums
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8