Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Cough of Fresh Air [private]
1 2
(@fairysmith ah man sorry this is super late! D: also I’m not good at titles shush. up to you exactly where this takes place and exactly how they run into each other~
@Archaeoraptor so I don't lose the link to this)

It wasn’t as though Drosera despised the Scarred Wasteland. True to its name? Yes. Miserable? Yes. Devoid of any semblance of structure? Absolutely. But after a while the place started taking on a certain charm. She could recognize one sorry excuse for a tree from another, some of the birdskulls or dragon bones made landmarks in the arid terrain, and she hadn’t starved to death or fallen fatally ill. All in all, not a complete nightmare, and Drosera had to admit the Scarred Wastelands were growing on her - like an infection eating her inside out.

At the first opportunity, she made a run for it.

Supposedly, it wasn’t safe to leave completely - not yet - and she wasn’t headed for the Labyrinth anyway. Instead Drosera trekked southward, taking in deeper breaths as the air began to clear. Going back to Nature would be too much trouble unless she wanted to die in Dragonhome or drown fleeing those Shadow tricksters, but the Windswept Plateau? Not a place she thought she’d be seeing in her lifetime, as it was surely inferior to the Labyrinth, but anything would be better than the literal Wasteland.

The dense, twisted tendrils at the edge of the Wasteland gave way to a series of fields and steppes, and before her Drosera was greeted by a vast expanse of green. Greenery! Life! A fresh, light breeze that didn’t reek of decay! Had she been less careful she could have stepped off one of the fleshlike stretches connecting the two lands, and from there she could have fallen into and been impaled by one of the bamboo shoots - but no, for once, daytime dreams of disaster did not haunt Drosera. This was bliss, and she would not let it be ruined for the world.
(@fairysmith ah man sorry this is super late! D: also I’m not good at titles shush. up to you exactly where this takes place and exactly how they run into each other~
@Archaeoraptor so I don't lose the link to this)

It wasn’t as though Drosera despised the Scarred Wasteland. True to its name? Yes. Miserable? Yes. Devoid of any semblance of structure? Absolutely. But after a while the place started taking on a certain charm. She could recognize one sorry excuse for a tree from another, some of the birdskulls or dragon bones made landmarks in the arid terrain, and she hadn’t starved to death or fallen fatally ill. All in all, not a complete nightmare, and Drosera had to admit the Scarred Wastelands were growing on her - like an infection eating her inside out.

At the first opportunity, she made a run for it.

Supposedly, it wasn’t safe to leave completely - not yet - and she wasn’t headed for the Labyrinth anyway. Instead Drosera trekked southward, taking in deeper breaths as the air began to clear. Going back to Nature would be too much trouble unless she wanted to die in Dragonhome or drown fleeing those Shadow tricksters, but the Windswept Plateau? Not a place she thought she’d be seeing in her lifetime, as it was surely inferior to the Labyrinth, but anything would be better than the literal Wasteland.

The dense, twisted tendrils at the edge of the Wasteland gave way to a series of fields and steppes, and before her Drosera was greeted by a vast expanse of green. Greenery! Life! A fresh, light breeze that didn’t reek of decay! Had she been less careful she could have stepped off one of the fleshlike stretches connecting the two lands, and from there she could have fallen into and been impaled by one of the bamboo shoots - but no, for once, daytime dreams of disaster did not haunt Drosera. This was bliss, and she would not let it be ruined for the world.
(wow okay sorry, I'm super late too, I was busy for most of the morning)
@Archaeoraptor

Minerva had suffered quite a lot of meddling at the fault of her brother, but this was just going too far. Kicking her out of the lair for the day? How dare he! All she'd ever wanted was to be left alone where she could study her books and dragon lore, somewhere quiet where she wouldn't be pestered by nosy clan members all day, but it seems that was out of the cards for today.

She reluctantly fluttered out of the lair and hopped over a small patch of bamboo, wishing more than anything to be back inside. The bright greens and golds of the Plateau hurt her eyes, the powerful winds buffeted her narrow form around much more than she liked, and there was absolutely nothing to do.

She spread her wings to their full lengths and soared away, trying to remember her mental map of the Plateau as best she could. If her memory served her correctly, they were on the border of Plague territory.

Minerva had no desire to actually enter Plague territory, but there might have been something marginally interesting at the border, so she swooped down to the darker patch indicating the edge of the Plateau.
(wow okay sorry, I'm super late too, I was busy for most of the morning)
@Archaeoraptor

Minerva had suffered quite a lot of meddling at the fault of her brother, but this was just going too far. Kicking her out of the lair for the day? How dare he! All she'd ever wanted was to be left alone where she could study her books and dragon lore, somewhere quiet where she wouldn't be pestered by nosy clan members all day, but it seems that was out of the cards for today.

She reluctantly fluttered out of the lair and hopped over a small patch of bamboo, wishing more than anything to be back inside. The bright greens and golds of the Plateau hurt her eyes, the powerful winds buffeted her narrow form around much more than she liked, and there was absolutely nothing to do.

She spread her wings to their full lengths and soared away, trying to remember her mental map of the Plateau as best she could. If her memory served her correctly, they were on the border of Plague territory.

Minerva had no desire to actually enter Plague territory, but there might have been something marginally interesting at the border, so she swooped down to the darker patch indicating the edge of the Plateau.
BVUXJUX.png
(your fave is problematic - me: asks people to roleplay, completely forgets to reply after starting the thing
I was gonna say "spritz me with water if this happens again" but actually nah just slam dunk me in the ocean)
@fairysmith

For a while, Drosera was certain she was alone. An unaware onlooker would surely be baffled by the sight of a lone Mirror standing at the edge of the Wasteland, doing nothing in particular but looking out at the scenery. However, she soon picked up a small spot of warmth descending from nearby. It was a faint trace of life, and it occurred to Drosera that she still donned her goggles. Surely the air in these lands wouldn't burn her eyes?

No wonder everything was so green.

Hoping that the stranger hadn't seen her, Drosera started clawing at the contraption tied securely on her head. Exactly how had that kind stranger put it on, anyhow? A buckle on the sides? Blast. Dexterous as Drosera may have been in some respects, removing the goggles soon proved to be a difficult task. It might have helped if she could actually see what she was doing. Instead, a moment of relief turned to utter shame as Drosera tried poking and prodding the contraption to no avail.

This should have been a quick, painless process. But no. Woe was she.
(your fave is problematic - me: asks people to roleplay, completely forgets to reply after starting the thing
I was gonna say "spritz me with water if this happens again" but actually nah just slam dunk me in the ocean)
@fairysmith

For a while, Drosera was certain she was alone. An unaware onlooker would surely be baffled by the sight of a lone Mirror standing at the edge of the Wasteland, doing nothing in particular but looking out at the scenery. However, she soon picked up a small spot of warmth descending from nearby. It was a faint trace of life, and it occurred to Drosera that she still donned her goggles. Surely the air in these lands wouldn't burn her eyes?

No wonder everything was so green.

Hoping that the stranger hadn't seen her, Drosera started clawing at the contraption tied securely on her head. Exactly how had that kind stranger put it on, anyhow? A buckle on the sides? Blast. Dexterous as Drosera may have been in some respects, removing the goggles soon proved to be a difficult task. It might have helped if she could actually see what she was doing. Instead, a moment of relief turned to utter shame as Drosera tried poking and prodding the contraption to no avail.

This should have been a quick, painless process. But no. Woe was she.
(8D
Archaeoraptor)

As Minerva descended towards the edge of the Plateau, she glumly wondered if she would actually find anything interesting to do, or is she would simply end up wallowing in her own misery until she went back home.

Contrary to that thought, she noticed a shape at the edge of the Wasteland, and as she got closer she realized it was a lone Mirror, clawing and twisting at the top of their head with evident frustration. Minerva landed silently, and crept closer, wondering exactly what the Mirror was doing. She stopped herself from getting too close, reminding herself to be more careful so far away from the lair.

Now that she was on the ground with a closer view, she realized that it was a clunky set of goggles on the Mirrors head that was giving the other dragon so much trouble. She silently debated the merits of coming closer, eyeing the superior claws and size of the other dragon.

If she did nothing, or flew away, what would happen? Her boredom and world-weariness would continue for the rest of the day (unless she found something worthy of her time, which she though highly unlikely) until she dragged herself back to the lair, where she'd have to deal with her brother again.

But if she approached the strange dragon, there was at least a chance of something actually happening for once.

Oh, well. She thought to herself. I can always fly away if it gets dangerous, and stepped forward into the Mirror's line of sight
(8D
Archaeoraptor)

As Minerva descended towards the edge of the Plateau, she glumly wondered if she would actually find anything interesting to do, or is she would simply end up wallowing in her own misery until she went back home.

Contrary to that thought, she noticed a shape at the edge of the Wasteland, and as she got closer she realized it was a lone Mirror, clawing and twisting at the top of their head with evident frustration. Minerva landed silently, and crept closer, wondering exactly what the Mirror was doing. She stopped herself from getting too close, reminding herself to be more careful so far away from the lair.

Now that she was on the ground with a closer view, she realized that it was a clunky set of goggles on the Mirrors head that was giving the other dragon so much trouble. She silently debated the merits of coming closer, eyeing the superior claws and size of the other dragon.

If she did nothing, or flew away, what would happen? Her boredom and world-weariness would continue for the rest of the day (unless she found something worthy of her time, which she though highly unlikely) until she dragged herself back to the lair, where she'd have to deal with her brother again.

But if she approached the strange dragon, there was at least a chance of something actually happening for once.

Oh, well. She thought to herself. I can always fly away if it gets dangerous, and stepped forward into the Mirror's line of sight
BVUXJUX.png
(@fairysmith I'm sure you've done this already but. she is smol)

If there was any consolation, Drosera assumed that the stranger was merely flying by. Shameful as this moment was, surely the little thing flying overhead wouldn't notice. And if it did, it should know better than to approach a stranger reeking of plague, especially not one whose head was about the size of its entire body.

Alas, the stranger seemed to realize that Drosera was, for the time being, the opposite of threatening. Drosera looked straight ahead and there stood none other than a bespectacled Fae, and it didn't seem keen on leaving. She didn't suppose it had picked up on her shame.

Drosera returned all front claws firmly to the ground and lowered her head, inspecting the stranger eye-to-eye. The goggles had been slightly displaced, but not enough that any part obscured her vision. Hopefully not enough that she looked any sillier than she already felt.

"Yes?" She dragged out her words, less out of condescension and more as a conscious effort not to snap at the innocent bystander. "May I help you?"
(@fairysmith I'm sure you've done this already but. she is smol)

If there was any consolation, Drosera assumed that the stranger was merely flying by. Shameful as this moment was, surely the little thing flying overhead wouldn't notice. And if it did, it should know better than to approach a stranger reeking of plague, especially not one whose head was about the size of its entire body.

Alas, the stranger seemed to realize that Drosera was, for the time being, the opposite of threatening. Drosera looked straight ahead and there stood none other than a bespectacled Fae, and it didn't seem keen on leaving. She didn't suppose it had picked up on her shame.

Drosera returned all front claws firmly to the ground and lowered her head, inspecting the stranger eye-to-eye. The goggles had been slightly displaced, but not enough that any part obscured her vision. Hopefully not enough that she looked any sillier than she already felt.

"Yes?" She dragged out her words, less out of condescension and more as a conscious effort not to snap at the innocent bystander. "May I help you?"
(@Archaeoraptor as it happens I hadn't done that already and. wow I knew that Faes were tiny but that's something else)

"You might be able to, actually. But not in the way you think." Now that Minerva had a closer look at the other dragon, she could see that the goggles appeared to be stuck on her head, and she had to resist a snarl of laughter at whatever could have caused that situation.

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, what in the world are you doing here? Also . . ."

Minerva could have just been seeing things, but to her it looked awfully like the stranger's eyes were the dark green unique to the Nature flight.

Except oddly enough, she had come out of the Wasteland. Minerva sat back on her haunches and waited for the Mirror to answer, all while wondering what kind of bizarre circumstances could have led to a Nature dragon being in the Wasteland
(@Archaeoraptor as it happens I hadn't done that already and. wow I knew that Faes were tiny but that's something else)

"You might be able to, actually. But not in the way you think." Now that Minerva had a closer look at the other dragon, she could see that the goggles appeared to be stuck on her head, and she had to resist a snarl of laughter at whatever could have caused that situation.

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, what in the world are you doing here? Also . . ."

Minerva could have just been seeing things, but to her it looked awfully like the stranger's eyes were the dark green unique to the Nature flight.

Except oddly enough, she had come out of the Wasteland. Minerva sat back on her haunches and waited for the Mirror to answer, all while wondering what kind of bizarre circumstances could have led to a Nature dragon being in the Wasteland
BVUXJUX.png
(@fairysmith
finish yer gosh darn sentences, you two)

Oh, so now the little thing was going to act clever. "It was a hypothetical question." At least the stranger hadn't mentioned the goggles. All the better for Drosera - she could act like it had never happened.

Her shame subsiding, Drosera had to wonder what had possessed the Fae to stop by. Surely it would be in her best interest to remain with others of her kind, not flying directly towards enemy lands. The stranger asked the same of Drosera first, however - and then, of all things, sat down, as if expecting to hold a lengthy conversation.

"Also what?" Drosera tilted her head back to look down at the Fae. "It's none of your concern. But if you must know...." At this she left the sentence hanging, waiting to gauge the Fae's reaction. It would be nice to have a responsive audience for once. Perhaps her story of trials and tribulations could negate the horrendous first impression.
(@fairysmith
finish yer gosh darn sentences, you two)

Oh, so now the little thing was going to act clever. "It was a hypothetical question." At least the stranger hadn't mentioned the goggles. All the better for Drosera - she could act like it had never happened.

Her shame subsiding, Drosera had to wonder what had possessed the Fae to stop by. Surely it would be in her best interest to remain with others of her kind, not flying directly towards enemy lands. The stranger asked the same of Drosera first, however - and then, of all things, sat down, as if expecting to hold a lengthy conversation.

"Also what?" Drosera tilted her head back to look down at the Fae. "It's none of your concern. But if you must know...." At this she left the sentence hanging, waiting to gauge the Fae's reaction. It would be nice to have a responsive audience for once. Perhaps her story of trials and tribulations could negate the horrendous first impression.
(@Archaeoraptor
Minerva loves being a jerk pass it on)

Delighted to see that she'd produced an annoyed reaction in the other dragon, Minerva shifted forward, confident now that she would remain unharmed.

"Also, what in the world is a Nature dragon doing in the Wasteland?"

The Nature/Plague rivalry went back eons, and while Wind and Plague were mostly neutral towards each other, a Nature dragon would not want to be caught dead in Plague territory, or vice versa.

She had no doubt that the other dragon knew that already, and most likely wasn't interested in a history lesson. If nothing else, it certainly looked like her afternoon would be interesting.

Of course, there was always the slight possibility of being attacked by the much larger dragon, but Minerva was doubtful that she would bother attacking such a smaller and younger dragon, so it was with reasonable confidence that she looked up at the Mirror and prepared for what had to at least be an interesting story.
(@Archaeoraptor
Minerva loves being a jerk pass it on)

Delighted to see that she'd produced an annoyed reaction in the other dragon, Minerva shifted forward, confident now that she would remain unharmed.

"Also, what in the world is a Nature dragon doing in the Wasteland?"

The Nature/Plague rivalry went back eons, and while Wind and Plague were mostly neutral towards each other, a Nature dragon would not want to be caught dead in Plague territory, or vice versa.

She had no doubt that the other dragon knew that already, and most likely wasn't interested in a history lesson. If nothing else, it certainly looked like her afternoon would be interesting.

Of course, there was always the slight possibility of being attacked by the much larger dragon, but Minerva was doubtful that she would bother attacking such a smaller and younger dragon, so it was with reasonable confidence that she looked up at the Mirror and prepared for what had to at least be an interesting story.
BVUXJUX.png
(@fairysmith Minerva is fantastic and I love her. also what do you mean I cut out Drosera's little speech in an attempt to keep this post short then rambled anyway)

Excellent. The Fae's interest had been piqued and there was not a single mention of the goggles. Drosera would have been rather pleased with herself had the little thing not been so infuriatingly smug about the entire situation.

If the Fae wanted a thorough explanation and Drosera was going to eliminate any trace of her former shame from the Fae's memory, then so be it. "It started last Greenskeeper." And so she launched into a rant about how she, an innocent youth, had been dragged from her homeland in the plentiful Viridian Labyrinth and thrown into the unforgiving Scarred Wasteland. Had the Fae interrupted at any point, Drosera didn't notice.

As if anyone would want to stop her story. Exaggerated? Perhaps. She left out the part where she volunteered for the job in the first place, determined to spread Gladekeeper's bounty. And she disregarded how, right before leaving, she was given the opportunity to stay behind and learn more about her future surroundings, or even back out entirely. It was unthinkable that she would have let such an offer slip by. Surely she could not have been so brash, leaving everything behind on a whim for the sake of a quick thrill.

Drosera only paused once she'd reached the point where she entered the Wasteland. The prelude to her overstated disaster had taken a while, and she couldn't wait for the stranger's inevitable sympathy. Besides, the next part of the story would involve her reception of the goggles. She wasn't keen on bringing that up again.
(@fairysmith Minerva is fantastic and I love her. also what do you mean I cut out Drosera's little speech in an attempt to keep this post short then rambled anyway)

Excellent. The Fae's interest had been piqued and there was not a single mention of the goggles. Drosera would have been rather pleased with herself had the little thing not been so infuriatingly smug about the entire situation.

If the Fae wanted a thorough explanation and Drosera was going to eliminate any trace of her former shame from the Fae's memory, then so be it. "It started last Greenskeeper." And so she launched into a rant about how she, an innocent youth, had been dragged from her homeland in the plentiful Viridian Labyrinth and thrown into the unforgiving Scarred Wasteland. Had the Fae interrupted at any point, Drosera didn't notice.

As if anyone would want to stop her story. Exaggerated? Perhaps. She left out the part where she volunteered for the job in the first place, determined to spread Gladekeeper's bounty. And she disregarded how, right before leaving, she was given the opportunity to stay behind and learn more about her future surroundings, or even back out entirely. It was unthinkable that she would have let such an offer slip by. Surely she could not have been so brash, leaving everything behind on a whim for the sake of a quick thrill.

Drosera only paused once she'd reached the point where she entered the Wasteland. The prelude to her overstated disaster had taken a while, and she couldn't wait for the stranger's inevitable sympathy. Besides, the next part of the story would involve her reception of the goggles. She wasn't keen on bringing that up again.
(@Archaeoraptor my turn to be super late D: really really sorry but my summer job just started and all that jazz)

As the story went on, Minerva was surprised by how much she found herself appreciating the other dragon's tale of woe. Not that she'd ever let that on, but she understood greatly the experience of being unwillingly dragged from a safe haven into a hated place for no good reason.

She frowned and lashed her tail as the story continued and she found herself with more sympathy than originally expected for the dragon. She didn't even know the huge Mirror's name.

Determined to not let the Mirror know how much she related to her story, she adjusted her glasses with the tip of one delicate wing and tried to think of something sarcastic or biting to say.

"Well," she said, drawing her words out, "I admit to not knowing much about about what Plague is up to these days, but I don't think that forcing their members to wear Alchemy-style goggles were a part of it."

She held her breath and leaned back, desperately hoping that she'd succeeded in annoying the other dragon. With any luck, the Mirror would provide an irritated enough reaction to please her, and do even more than she already had to ease the relentless boredom that had plagued her all morning.
(@Archaeoraptor my turn to be super late D: really really sorry but my summer job just started and all that jazz)

As the story went on, Minerva was surprised by how much she found herself appreciating the other dragon's tale of woe. Not that she'd ever let that on, but she understood greatly the experience of being unwillingly dragged from a safe haven into a hated place for no good reason.

She frowned and lashed her tail as the story continued and she found herself with more sympathy than originally expected for the dragon. She didn't even know the huge Mirror's name.

Determined to not let the Mirror know how much she related to her story, she adjusted her glasses with the tip of one delicate wing and tried to think of something sarcastic or biting to say.

"Well," she said, drawing her words out, "I admit to not knowing much about about what Plague is up to these days, but I don't think that forcing their members to wear Alchemy-style goggles were a part of it."

She held her breath and leaned back, desperately hoping that she'd succeeded in annoying the other dragon. With any luck, the Mirror would provide an irritated enough reaction to please her, and do even more than she already had to ease the relentless boredom that had plagued her all morning.
BVUXJUX.png
1 2