Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I need book recs! Please help?
1 2 3 4
Oh gosh. So i just found out i have to take a 30hr bus trip this weekend @_@ Im in desperate need of reading material for this crazyness! Could y'all please rec some good books?

I like SciFi/Fantasy. Ill read pretty much anything SciFi as long as its not horror. Not a huge fan of traditional fantasy, prefer it a little more off beat (think Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett)

And, of course, Dragons. Just... Anything with Dragons!
Oh gosh. So i just found out i have to take a 30hr bus trip this weekend @_@ Im in desperate need of reading material for this crazyness! Could y'all please rec some good books?

I like SciFi/Fantasy. Ill read pretty much anything SciFi as long as its not horror. Not a huge fan of traditional fantasy, prefer it a little more off beat (think Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett)

And, of course, Dragons. Just... Anything with Dragons!
@SinkPhaze Have you read Good Omens yet? Probably my top rec for keeping oneself entertained. Really I'd probably mostly recommend Gaiman's stuff. American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust... loads of good things even without dipping into the books that skirt the edge of the Horror genre.
@SinkPhaze Have you read Good Omens yet? Probably my top rec for keeping oneself entertained. Really I'd probably mostly recommend Gaiman's stuff. American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust... loads of good things even without dipping into the books that skirt the edge of the Horror genre.
@SinkPhaze

No dragons, but I just recently finished the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman. Would definitely recommend either those or his other series, The Skinjacker Trilogy, which starts with Everlost. I haven't finished that series yet, but it's really well written.
@SinkPhaze

No dragons, but I just recently finished the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman. Would definitely recommend either those or his other series, The Skinjacker Trilogy, which starts with Everlost. I haven't finished that series yet, but it's really well written.
@SinkPhaze Artemis Fowl is a sci-fi/fantasy series about an Irish teenage criminal mastermind kidnapping (and, later in the series, working with) fairies. It's my favorite book series. :o
@SinkPhaze Artemis Fowl is a sci-fi/fantasy series about an Irish teenage criminal mastermind kidnapping (and, later in the series, working with) fairies. It's my favorite book series. :o
Walk along the footprints to witness the flame-chasing crusade. In the end, you will go beyond the graves and create a future we could not reach!

Help out with my Thirteen Flame-Chasers fandragon project!
@SinkPhaze
Stephen Hunt's Jackelian series was one I remember liking. It has kind of a weird fantasy/steampunk/historical feel to it.

As for dragons, going to go the obvious route and say Dragonriders of Pern, if you haven't read them yet. I just really love everything about that series. > x>; (It does get some sci-fi elements here and there too.)
@SinkPhaze
Stephen Hunt's Jackelian series was one I remember liking. It has kind of a weird fantasy/steampunk/historical feel to it.

As for dragons, going to go the obvious route and say Dragonriders of Pern, if you haven't read them yet. I just really love everything about that series. > x>; (It does get some sci-fi elements here and there too.)
HEEfBrK.png 6UvQBco.png WAOKY1a.png
@SinkPhaze
I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Halo books to anyone ever. You don't even have to love Halo. The only reason I love Halo is because THE STORY IS SO GOOD I could not put it down at all until I was done reading all the books that exist in that universe EVER.

Another series that can keep you reading for ages is the Drizzt series, if fantasy/D&Dtype verse is your cup of tea more than military/aliens/sci-fi. There's going on thirty books in that series, and while some of them are a drag, the overall story is still pretty entertaining.
@SinkPhaze
I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Halo books to anyone ever. You don't even have to love Halo. The only reason I love Halo is because THE STORY IS SO GOOD I could not put it down at all until I was done reading all the books that exist in that universe EVER.

Another series that can keep you reading for ages is the Drizzt series, if fantasy/D&Dtype verse is your cup of tea more than military/aliens/sci-fi. There's going on thirty books in that series, and while some of them are a drag, the overall story is still pretty entertaining.
20ivs74.jpgW8eFh7V.png2n7hw75.jpg3yxkewT.png[img][/img]
Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, starting with Way of Kings! Pretty fresh fantasy world-building, loooong, plot-twisty and just fun to read.
Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, starting with Way of Kings! Pretty fresh fantasy world-building, loooong, plot-twisty and just fun to read.
2qkpb88.jpg
@SinkPhaze
@ItsCursorBby

I second that Artemis fowl Recommendation!
It's such a good series. Yeah, it's a sci-fi/fantasy series with eight books to the whole series. Basically it's about this boy (Artemis fowl) who at first, was a criminal mastermind, soon works with faries and basically saves the world from the main antagonist, Opal.
(If I remember correctly :P)
@SinkPhaze
@ItsCursorBby

I second that Artemis fowl Recommendation!
It's such a good series. Yeah, it's a sci-fi/fantasy series with eight books to the whole series. Basically it's about this boy (Artemis fowl) who at first, was a criminal mastermind, soon works with faries and basically saves the world from the main antagonist, Opal.
(If I remember correctly :P)
slMA5.gif ADVF4.gif
p2yru.gif
@CaleCorvus Good Omens and Neverwhere do sound good ^^ And i know i have a copy of American Gods somewhere (do i need an excuse to buy more books? No. Will i find them anyways? Yes!) Thank you

@AmityWall Unwind sounds positively perverse! *adds to the list* Excellent. Thank you

@ItsCursorBby Yes! I've read every scrap of Artemis Fowl. Butler will forever be the best butler ^^ And somehow that reminded me another series that i ment to read ages ago but forgot! The Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. Thank you ^^

@briteoctopus oh geeze. XD 600 pages in the first book aloneX6 books! Definitely could kill some time with that ^^ And Pern! I love Pern. The Dragon Riders or Pern are the books that got me in to reading in the first place. At this point I've read almost every Mccaffrey book out there. Good recs, thank you.

@Cormaranth Ahaha! <_< I havent played Halo since the first one... (which i liked but then my parents said no more consoles *shrug* been a PC player ever since) Never read them but i know my brother has ALL of them, may have to harass him before i leave. ^^

Thanks for all the recs! The more the merrier! Not only is there a 30hrs bus ride but a whole month of 'roughing it' to follow. No tv, no comp. Just me my Kindle and my phone ;_; Gah! The things i do for money!
@CaleCorvus Good Omens and Neverwhere do sound good ^^ And i know i have a copy of American Gods somewhere (do i need an excuse to buy more books? No. Will i find them anyways? Yes!) Thank you

@AmityWall Unwind sounds positively perverse! *adds to the list* Excellent. Thank you

@ItsCursorBby Yes! I've read every scrap of Artemis Fowl. Butler will forever be the best butler ^^ And somehow that reminded me another series that i ment to read ages ago but forgot! The Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. Thank you ^^

@briteoctopus oh geeze. XD 600 pages in the first book aloneX6 books! Definitely could kill some time with that ^^ And Pern! I love Pern. The Dragon Riders or Pern are the books that got me in to reading in the first place. At this point I've read almost every Mccaffrey book out there. Good recs, thank you.

@Cormaranth Ahaha! <_< I havent played Halo since the first one... (which i liked but then my parents said no more consoles *shrug* been a PC player ever since) Never read them but i know my brother has ALL of them, may have to harass him before i leave. ^^

Thanks for all the recs! The more the merrier! Not only is there a 30hrs bus ride but a whole month of 'roughing it' to follow. No tv, no comp. Just me my Kindle and my phone ;_; Gah! The things i do for money!
@SinkPhaze:

Here's a few recs:

The Dragon Keeper Trilogy by Carole Wilkinson: Amazingly written trilogy about a former slave girl in ancient China who winds up becoming a dragon keeper and caring for an elderly dragon and his son. The trilogy consists of Dragon Keeper, Garden of the Purple Dragon, and Dragon Moon.

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George: A story about a poor peasant girl who receives mysterious blue slippers after bargaining for her life with a dragon while she goes off to become apprentice to a seamstress. A light, whimsical read, filled with adorable quirky dragons. There's two sequels, Dragon Flight and Dragon Spear, but I haven't read them because I wasn't sure if they'd ruin Dragon Slippers for me or not.

The Dragon of Cripple Creek by Troy Howell: A story of a girl who finds a dragon in a gold mine and struggles to deal with the fact that her mother is in a coma and she and her family are poor. The twelve-year-old protagonist sometimes sounds a little too old for her age, and the book can be a little cluttered at times, but it's still an original and wonderfully written book with some poignant commentary to make. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you want something fresh and enjoyable.

Molly Moon series by Georgia Byng: These books tell the story of an eleven-year-old orphan named Molly Moon who discovers she has a gift for hypnosis that unlocks special powers and amazing adventures. Molly is a totally awesome female protagonist who you really admire, and the books are really fun while also being quite smart and enjoyable for any age. Definitely check it out if you're into hypnotism or like adventure novels.
@SinkPhaze:

Here's a few recs:

The Dragon Keeper Trilogy by Carole Wilkinson: Amazingly written trilogy about a former slave girl in ancient China who winds up becoming a dragon keeper and caring for an elderly dragon and his son. The trilogy consists of Dragon Keeper, Garden of the Purple Dragon, and Dragon Moon.

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George: A story about a poor peasant girl who receives mysterious blue slippers after bargaining for her life with a dragon while she goes off to become apprentice to a seamstress. A light, whimsical read, filled with adorable quirky dragons. There's two sequels, Dragon Flight and Dragon Spear, but I haven't read them because I wasn't sure if they'd ruin Dragon Slippers for me or not.

The Dragon of Cripple Creek by Troy Howell: A story of a girl who finds a dragon in a gold mine and struggles to deal with the fact that her mother is in a coma and she and her family are poor. The twelve-year-old protagonist sometimes sounds a little too old for her age, and the book can be a little cluttered at times, but it's still an original and wonderfully written book with some poignant commentary to make. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you want something fresh and enjoyable.

Molly Moon series by Georgia Byng: These books tell the story of an eleven-year-old orphan named Molly Moon who discovers she has a gift for hypnosis that unlocks special powers and amazing adventures. Molly is a totally awesome female protagonist who you really admire, and the books are really fun while also being quite smart and enjoyable for any age. Definitely check it out if you're into hypnotism or like adventure novels.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
1 2 3 4