Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Newbie in need of a Roleplay Partner~
1 2 3
Hello!

It sounds like we roleplay a lot of the same genres. :) I'd love to roleplay with you. Also, I'm in school as well, and working on the side, so you wouldn't need to worry about fast replies. I wouldn't be able to do more than one or two a day either!

You mentioned that you'd be willing to mix genres. I had a few ideas, but first, how comfortable are you with multiple characters? Would you prefer to stick to one each, or would you be comfortable if we ended up doubling later on? I have a couple plot ideas that wouldn't work well with only two characters, and I don't want to suggest them and start hashing them out if it turns out it wouldn' work. :P

-Tel
Hello!

It sounds like we roleplay a lot of the same genres. :) I'd love to roleplay with you. Also, I'm in school as well, and working on the side, so you wouldn't need to worry about fast replies. I wouldn't be able to do more than one or two a day either!

You mentioned that you'd be willing to mix genres. I had a few ideas, but first, how comfortable are you with multiple characters? Would you prefer to stick to one each, or would you be comfortable if we ended up doubling later on? I have a couple plot ideas that wouldn't work well with only two characters, and I don't want to suggest them and start hashing them out if it turns out it wouldn' work. :P

-Tel
@Telerys Haha, it's nice to hear that availability isn't a huge worry here. :)

I'm pretty comfortable with multi-character roleplaying. I've done plenty like that before so it would be more than okay with me! What sorts of ideas did you have in mind?
@Telerys Haha, it's nice to hear that availability isn't a huge worry here. :)

I'm pretty comfortable with multi-character roleplaying. I've done plenty like that before so it would be more than okay with me! What sorts of ideas did you have in mind?
Fare thee well, fellow traveller.
OK! Perfect. Well, in that case, I had a handful of ideas:

-Magical Girl/Boy, Madoka-style (you gain your powers but something terrible will happen to you that you may or may not know about)
-Possibly mixed with horror and/or supernatural? Like there's some insidious creature taking over the minds of a town and the magical girls/boys have to figure out how to stop it, aside from their usual methods of "transform and throw magic at it" because that doesn't work on this creature

-Depending on the time periods you like playing, I have a medieval idea where the royal family of every kingdom is determined by magical power. The most powerful magic user = king or queen, their children are the heirs, and their bloodline holds the throne until another magic user challenges the current regent for the title and proves to be a stronger magic user. I have a couple plot ideas for this one:
-The eldest heir has no apparent magical talent. (Whether they get it in the end or not is up to the player.) They befriend someone of lower rank who has strong abilities, and the two work together to trick the world into thinking the heir to the throne is really powerful.
-The last regent was challenged and overthrown, and everyone thinks the ex-royal family was executed. Instead, the new regent locked them in the dungeon and uses them for who-knows-what (magical experiments, entertainment, soylent green, I don't care). One or more members of the family manages to escape and has to go find sympathetic commoners to help them save their family.

I also had a science fiction idea. Every person, when they graduate from their last year of school, can pick one "power" or augmentation to have surgically added to their body. It can be physical, mental, whatever, but it basically conveys a superpower like strength, telekinesis, etc. I don't know what the plot would be for this, though. :P

Do any of these interest you? Or did you have some ideas you wanted to put out there?
OK! Perfect. Well, in that case, I had a handful of ideas:

-Magical Girl/Boy, Madoka-style (you gain your powers but something terrible will happen to you that you may or may not know about)
-Possibly mixed with horror and/or supernatural? Like there's some insidious creature taking over the minds of a town and the magical girls/boys have to figure out how to stop it, aside from their usual methods of "transform and throw magic at it" because that doesn't work on this creature

-Depending on the time periods you like playing, I have a medieval idea where the royal family of every kingdom is determined by magical power. The most powerful magic user = king or queen, their children are the heirs, and their bloodline holds the throne until another magic user challenges the current regent for the title and proves to be a stronger magic user. I have a couple plot ideas for this one:
-The eldest heir has no apparent magical talent. (Whether they get it in the end or not is up to the player.) They befriend someone of lower rank who has strong abilities, and the two work together to trick the world into thinking the heir to the throne is really powerful.
-The last regent was challenged and overthrown, and everyone thinks the ex-royal family was executed. Instead, the new regent locked them in the dungeon and uses them for who-knows-what (magical experiments, entertainment, soylent green, I don't care). One or more members of the family manages to escape and has to go find sympathetic commoners to help them save their family.

I also had a science fiction idea. Every person, when they graduate from their last year of school, can pick one "power" or augmentation to have surgically added to their body. It can be physical, mental, whatever, but it basically conveys a superpower like strength, telekinesis, etc. I don't know what the plot would be for this, though. :P

Do any of these interest you? Or did you have some ideas you wanted to put out there?
Oh man. You have me hooked my friend. :)

Idea one has a pretty awesome ring to it, especially the idea of a being that they can't just defeat with magic as they usually would. A personal thought I had regarding that is the use of the "collective consciousness" as an entity, perhaps? Like perhaps this insidious "creature" infected the collective consciousness of humanity, and these Magical Girls/Boys are trying to stop it before all of humanity becomes corrupted? Regarding that.....

>What if these magical persons were created BY this evil being, by accident? Like they are a by product of its power that it never thought would become a real threat.

>Alternately humanity is only just starting to learn what magic is, and these magical persons abuse the gift of magic without understanding the consequences....and wups, evil is unleashed, gotta fix it.

I do also like the other two ideas though. :D I love a good medieval tale with magical warfare. In particular I find the second idea rather intriguing, as it smells of revolution, which I do so love~

In terms of your science-fiction one, that could be an idea we leave up in the air for a bit and if something comes later on...hey, I'll call you up on it. :) So it looks like we may end up with idea A or B. Any personal preferences on your part? Also what types of characters might you be playing? I'm pretty flexible, so I can play whatever we need to complement/antagonize the other characters.
Oh man. You have me hooked my friend. :)

Idea one has a pretty awesome ring to it, especially the idea of a being that they can't just defeat with magic as they usually would. A personal thought I had regarding that is the use of the "collective consciousness" as an entity, perhaps? Like perhaps this insidious "creature" infected the collective consciousness of humanity, and these Magical Girls/Boys are trying to stop it before all of humanity becomes corrupted? Regarding that.....

>What if these magical persons were created BY this evil being, by accident? Like they are a by product of its power that it never thought would become a real threat.

>Alternately humanity is only just starting to learn what magic is, and these magical persons abuse the gift of magic without understanding the consequences....and wups, evil is unleashed, gotta fix it.

I do also like the other two ideas though. :D I love a good medieval tale with magical warfare. In particular I find the second idea rather intriguing, as it smells of revolution, which I do so love~

In terms of your science-fiction one, that could be an idea we leave up in the air for a bit and if something comes later on...hey, I'll call you up on it. :) So it looks like we may end up with idea A or B. Any personal preferences on your part? Also what types of characters might you be playing? I'm pretty flexible, so I can play whatever we need to complement/antagonize the other characters.
Ooooh man I love that. Both of those additions, actually. Why not use both, in fact? The magical persons (great term, lol) were created by the evil by accident, like as a side effect... but the humans don't know that. They just know that, oh look, suddenly we have magic powers or whatever these are? And they don't know it has a cost or consequences or anything, so they use it freely and accidentally make the evil stronger. Like maybe casting magic against it makes it stronger, like it's a kind of magic sponge, and that's why they have to find another way to defeat it? Ahhhhh this sounds great.

I really wanna do the revolution one too, though, because I do love revolution plots. :P Maybe we could do both? The revolution one could play out really well with two players, and I think more might make things convoluted, so maybe we could do that one just ourselves. The magical persons one, though, maybe we could make a public board and invite others to join? Like a lot of those shows, Madoka or WITCH or Tokyo Mew Mew, they have a group of four or five heroes. Each person could have a specialty, a weapon or element or something, unique to them.
Ooooh man I love that. Both of those additions, actually. Why not use both, in fact? The magical persons (great term, lol) were created by the evil by accident, like as a side effect... but the humans don't know that. They just know that, oh look, suddenly we have magic powers or whatever these are? And they don't know it has a cost or consequences or anything, so they use it freely and accidentally make the evil stronger. Like maybe casting magic against it makes it stronger, like it's a kind of magic sponge, and that's why they have to find another way to defeat it? Ahhhhh this sounds great.

I really wanna do the revolution one too, though, because I do love revolution plots. :P Maybe we could do both? The revolution one could play out really well with two players, and I think more might make things convoluted, so maybe we could do that one just ourselves. The magical persons one, though, maybe we could make a public board and invite others to join? Like a lot of those shows, Madoka or WITCH or Tokyo Mew Mew, they have a group of four or five heroes. Each person could have a specialty, a weapon or element or something, unique to them.
@Telerys

Ooooh I like it, I like it~

Definitely loving the idea of having an open group one for the Magical Persons roleplay, since it's definitely tailored to that kind of setup. Would we want to put a cap on how many characters can enter, or use a posting order? Just so we don't end up with so many that people get lost and left behind.

I'm totally all over a 1x1 for the revolutionary plot though. :) I'm feeling that one might be more of its own world, so that could be a ton of fun. Going off the roles you suggested in your earlier post...who might you want to play? I could totally swing with any one. :)
@Telerys

Ooooh I like it, I like it~

Definitely loving the idea of having an open group one for the Magical Persons roleplay, since it's definitely tailored to that kind of setup. Would we want to put a cap on how many characters can enter, or use a posting order? Just so we don't end up with so many that people get lost and left behind.

I'm totally all over a 1x1 for the revolutionary plot though. :) I'm feeling that one might be more of its own world, so that could be a ton of fun. Going off the roles you suggested in your earlier post...who might you want to play? I could totally swing with any one. :)
Hooray! Haha, I haven't done a group roleplay in years. I would say a cap is probably good, and possibly a posting order? If every person is on once a day, or even every other day, it would still progress at a decent speed. But yeah, I think a cap is ideal. There's only so many different heroes you can have before it seems like they could win by sheer numbers. :P What do you think? Five immediately came to mind for me because that's the "traditional" number, but we can definitely vary it. And would we want someone to play "the evil" (not as an entity, but maybe a character who's acting in the interests of evil), or do we want to let that be its own thing?

For the revolution... hm. I dunno. I have a few ideas for characters. I could do a prince or princess who escapes (and there could always be two of them who escaped if we both wanted one), but I also have a variety of personalities in mind for someone who would help them out.

Also, do you have a preference on magical systems for either roleplay? Like is it something they can exercise any time, or do they have to channel it through something like a wand?
Hooray! Haha, I haven't done a group roleplay in years. I would say a cap is probably good, and possibly a posting order? If every person is on once a day, or even every other day, it would still progress at a decent speed. But yeah, I think a cap is ideal. There's only so many different heroes you can have before it seems like they could win by sheer numbers. :P What do you think? Five immediately came to mind for me because that's the "traditional" number, but we can definitely vary it. And would we want someone to play "the evil" (not as an entity, but maybe a character who's acting in the interests of evil), or do we want to let that be its own thing?

For the revolution... hm. I dunno. I have a few ideas for characters. I could do a prince or princess who escapes (and there could always be two of them who escaped if we both wanted one), but I also have a variety of personalities in mind for someone who would help them out.

Also, do you have a preference on magical systems for either roleplay? Like is it something they can exercise any time, or do they have to channel it through something like a wand?
@Telerys

Haha yeah five is the number I get too. :) If we wanted, I might even say six and add a "sixth ranger" to the five man band. I think having someone who plays maybe the evil being's like....messengers or followers or something would be fun to play. Heck maybe part of it infecting the collective consciousness has allowed it to take control of a few humans and turn them into evil allies or something. I wonder though, would civilians be something we want people playing, or would that be more of an..."NPC" type character, where maybe their character has a sibling, and if the situation calls for it, they or someone else play that sibling?

Awesome, awesome. I think if you want to play a prince or princess, I've got this feeling for either a commoner or a royal guardsman who was loyal to the previous family and would be more than happy to join up with them and try to secretly save the old family and perhaps reinstate them. Maybe even someone who lost their honour and privelege and teams up with the royal family member so they can be restored as well. I can play either a mild-mannered or rougher character depending on what's needed.

I like mixing magic; like perhaps magic is naturally something they can exercise at any time, but more skilled people can imbue objects with magic?
@Telerys

Haha yeah five is the number I get too. :) If we wanted, I might even say six and add a "sixth ranger" to the five man band. I think having someone who plays maybe the evil being's like....messengers or followers or something would be fun to play. Heck maybe part of it infecting the collective consciousness has allowed it to take control of a few humans and turn them into evil allies or something. I wonder though, would civilians be something we want people playing, or would that be more of an..."NPC" type character, where maybe their character has a sibling, and if the situation calls for it, they or someone else play that sibling?

Awesome, awesome. I think if you want to play a prince or princess, I've got this feeling for either a commoner or a royal guardsman who was loyal to the previous family and would be more than happy to join up with them and try to secretly save the old family and perhaps reinstate them. Maybe even someone who lost their honour and privelege and teams up with the royal family member so they can be restored as well. I can play either a mild-mannered or rougher character depending on what's needed.

I like mixing magic; like perhaps magic is naturally something they can exercise at any time, but more skilled people can imbue objects with magic?
@Carma (just realized I can do that to alert you I posted, lol whoops)

I like six. Six is good. Mixes up the dynamic a bit too, and it works roleplay-wise because if two characters get into a conversation, and two more converse next to them, the fifth person wouldn't be the odd one out trying to squeeze in a reply to someone. :) And yeah, I think civilians should be NPCs. People play them when they need them and then let them go. I like the idea of the consciousness thing taking over some people though... especially if it turns it into a "who can we trust" situation.

OK, fantastic! (Personally I vote for the person who was loyal to the family before and wants their honor restored, because I grew up watching Avatar and Zuko was my favorite. :P) In that case I'd be happy to start with a prince! I may add a commoner in later on, but for starting one is plenty.

Works for me! I'm happy with any magic system. I love writing magic~

So who wants to start what? And where?
@Carma (just realized I can do that to alert you I posted, lol whoops)

I like six. Six is good. Mixes up the dynamic a bit too, and it works roleplay-wise because if two characters get into a conversation, and two more converse next to them, the fifth person wouldn't be the odd one out trying to squeeze in a reply to someone. :) And yeah, I think civilians should be NPCs. People play them when they need them and then let them go. I like the idea of the consciousness thing taking over some people though... especially if it turns it into a "who can we trust" situation.

OK, fantastic! (Personally I vote for the person who was loyal to the family before and wants their honor restored, because I grew up watching Avatar and Zuko was my favorite. :P) In that case I'd be happy to start with a prince! I may add a commoner in later on, but for starting one is plenty.

Works for me! I'm happy with any magic system. I love writing magic~

So who wants to start what? And where?
@Telerys Heey no worries man. I just saw other people doing it and found out by accident XD

Oooh that's a good piont! I never even thought of it that way, ha. I'm liking it man~

I shall play the loyal redeemer then. Lord knows I have enough to choose from XD

The question now becomes: do we do both at once, or one then the other? I'd be fine either way, but again - and you know this - the whole school and exams thing means it'll be slower. I don't know if I'll be able to get a starter up tonight, since I'm sorta finishing my final project for a class and not at all getting distracted by dragons and roleplaying but tomorrow sometime I potentially could.

For the question of where? That would depend on what kind of world we want. I'm sorta feeling something not quite Lord of the Rings-level fantasy world, but along the lines of "more or less ordinary Medieval kingdom" - just with magic. XD We could always work out the details of the world before we start. :)

...Unless you meant literally where do we post this, in which case I can go either PM or a post in the RP forum with a private tag. No preference here. XD
@Telerys Heey no worries man. I just saw other people doing it and found out by accident XD

Oooh that's a good piont! I never even thought of it that way, ha. I'm liking it man~

I shall play the loyal redeemer then. Lord knows I have enough to choose from XD

The question now becomes: do we do both at once, or one then the other? I'd be fine either way, but again - and you know this - the whole school and exams thing means it'll be slower. I don't know if I'll be able to get a starter up tonight, since I'm sorta finishing my final project for a class and not at all getting distracted by dragons and roleplaying but tomorrow sometime I potentially could.

For the question of where? That would depend on what kind of world we want. I'm sorta feeling something not quite Lord of the Rings-level fantasy world, but along the lines of "more or less ordinary Medieval kingdom" - just with magic. XD We could always work out the details of the world before we start. :)

...Unless you meant literally where do we post this, in which case I can go either PM or a post in the RP forum with a private tag. No preference here. XD
1 2 3