Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | What do you need to start a hatchery?
So, my dream is to set up a hatchery or a giveaway/selling thread. I love making people happy and giving them the dragons they want ^^ However, I'm not sure how to get things started. Like, what things have to be prepared beforehand? Are breeding pairs necessary? And I have many more questions, so I just want to hear some opinions)

EDIT: And yeah, I know I may not be successful at this point, but maybe in future)
So, my dream is to set up a hatchery or a giveaway/selling thread. I love making people happy and giving them the dragons they want ^^ However, I'm not sure how to get things started. Like, what things have to be prepared beforehand? Are breeding pairs necessary? And I have many more questions, so I just want to hear some opinions)

EDIT: And yeah, I know I may not be successful at this point, but maybe in future)
item_bamboo_cluster_by_dogi_crimson-daimqyf.gifCheck out the Mafia Game! item_bamboo_cluster_by_dogi_crimson-daimqyf.gif
@ThermoDanone
Well, for one, you need dragons, obviously. And you probably need at least fifteen minutes a day to deliver dragons to everyone else. Breeding pairs aren't necessary but some people like them so it kinda depends if you want people to have like the exact dragon they want and they'll know what they're getting. You don't have to prepare much- just make sure your dragons are well-fed and advertising would also be a good idea(through your signature maybe).
@ThermoDanone
Well, for one, you need dragons, obviously. And you probably need at least fifteen minutes a day to deliver dragons to everyone else. Breeding pairs aren't necessary but some people like them so it kinda depends if you want people to have like the exact dragon they want and they'll know what they're getting. You don't have to prepare much- just make sure your dragons are well-fed and advertising would also be a good idea(through your signature maybe).
CUnQdgy.png
@GraceKat99 thanks! I'll try to make the best use of your advice!
@GraceKat99 thanks! I'll try to make the best use of your advice!
item_bamboo_cluster_by_dogi_crimson-daimqyf.gifCheck out the Mafia Game! item_bamboo_cluster_by_dogi_crimson-daimqyf.gif
@ThermoDanone
No problem!
@ThermoDanone
No problem!
CUnQdgy.png
@ThermoDanone, it depends on what you want to do with your hatchery. Usually, hatcheries will have specific pairs. They tend to be put on breeding cards so people have a better idea of the possible genes for their offspring. Lots of hatcheries have "themes" while others are more unstructured. It's really up to you.

I've also seen "on demand" hatcheries where you can request dragons from someone's lair to be bred together.

If you want your dragons to have specific eyes, you'll also want to look into nest rentals.

I think that a good place to start is by using the scrying workshop to look at the results of pairs in your lair or come up with a dragon design you like (so you can find a pair to breed it).

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer!
@ThermoDanone, it depends on what you want to do with your hatchery. Usually, hatcheries will have specific pairs. They tend to be put on breeding cards so people have a better idea of the possible genes for their offspring. Lots of hatcheries have "themes" while others are more unstructured. It's really up to you.

I've also seen "on demand" hatcheries where you can request dragons from someone's lair to be bred together.

If you want your dragons to have specific eyes, you'll also want to look into nest rentals.

I think that a good place to start is by using the scrying workshop to look at the results of pairs in your lair or come up with a dragon design you like (so you can find a pair to breed it).

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer!
lohf4Mo.png
@ThermoDanone

My advice: do an interest check on certain pairs ideas before you get started. Don't buy/gene anything you're not sure will sell and scry babies first, then find suitable pairs to breed them. Build around a concept, not around the dragons you have. You'll end up with bad pairs. And for the love of all things holy, CHECK YOUR BLOODLINES. Be prepared to exalt entire pairs/clutches/possible mates. Have no mercy. Get attached to no one. You will lose money before you make it.

If you can, make your own graphics, it will save you a ridiculous amount of money. It's easy to learn how to do them. Resort to screenshotting something you made on sites like Canva (who provides lovely templates you can Frankenstein to fit your needs!) if you need to. Many successful hatcheries use breeding cards made here (10/10 site, would recommend) and there's no shame in it.

Find a niche and stick to it. Look at prices on the AH, stalk people's dragon wishlists. Figure out what's popular, put your own spin on it, check for interest, and sell it for the highest price possible. Keep a stash of money around to pounce on new genes the second they get out and have a reliable secondary shop set up so you make money outside the hatchery, I make moodboards, for example.

Pro tip, reserve the entire first page, even if you don't have enough subtopics just put "reserved", and delete your bumps. It's a lot better for your pride if you don't see a wall of affiliate bumps or 4 pages of you just going "bump. Bump." every time you check in on the hatchery.

Your first hatchery might, can, and probably will crash and burn in a glorious waste of time an money. Accept this, move on if it happens, and learn. If hatcheries are for you, you'll come back. If not, you'll know, and that curious ache to try it will be gone.

Hope this was able to help, and ping me if you have any more questions. :)

@ThermoDanone

My advice: do an interest check on certain pairs ideas before you get started. Don't buy/gene anything you're not sure will sell and scry babies first, then find suitable pairs to breed them. Build around a concept, not around the dragons you have. You'll end up with bad pairs. And for the love of all things holy, CHECK YOUR BLOODLINES. Be prepared to exalt entire pairs/clutches/possible mates. Have no mercy. Get attached to no one. You will lose money before you make it.

If you can, make your own graphics, it will save you a ridiculous amount of money. It's easy to learn how to do them. Resort to screenshotting something you made on sites like Canva (who provides lovely templates you can Frankenstein to fit your needs!) if you need to. Many successful hatcheries use breeding cards made here (10/10 site, would recommend) and there's no shame in it.

Find a niche and stick to it. Look at prices on the AH, stalk people's dragon wishlists. Figure out what's popular, put your own spin on it, check for interest, and sell it for the highest price possible. Keep a stash of money around to pounce on new genes the second they get out and have a reliable secondary shop set up so you make money outside the hatchery, I make moodboards, for example.

Pro tip, reserve the entire first page, even if you don't have enough subtopics just put "reserved", and delete your bumps. It's a lot better for your pride if you don't see a wall of affiliate bumps or 4 pages of you just going "bump. Bump." every time you check in on the hatchery.

Your first hatchery might, can, and probably will crash and burn in a glorious waste of time an money. Accept this, move on if it happens, and learn. If hatcheries are for you, you'll come back. If not, you'll know, and that curious ache to try it will be gone.

Hope this was able to help, and ping me if you have any more questions. :)

tumblr_ov78iyzwrb1wz5dlfo8_r2_250.png takfb5.png