Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | the perfect color range (breeding help)
hi guys, i'm here today with a question about breeding! i always want to start a breeding project, but once i find a dragon that looks similar to what i'm trying to get i get confused.

for example i'm trying to breed a dragon with brown/coral/cyan (or similar colors) and i've found quite a few dragons with brown and pink primary and secondary range. but i'm stuck on the tertiary! i want to get to a bluish tertiary, but i don't know where to go after finding the brown primary and pink secondary dragon.

basically i want to know how to narrow down color palettes for breeding projects. please help!
hi guys, i'm here today with a question about breeding! i always want to start a breeding project, but once i find a dragon that looks similar to what i'm trying to get i get confused.

for example i'm trying to breed a dragon with brown/coral/cyan (or similar colors) and i've found quite a few dragons with brown and pink primary and secondary range. but i'm stuck on the tertiary! i want to get to a bluish tertiary, but i don't know where to go after finding the brown primary and pink secondary dragon.

basically i want to know how to narrow down color palettes for breeding projects. please help!
G64PJEH.pngmOggPvS.pngkQXO8qG.gif
@gyaxa What you're asking is a little confusing, to narrow down color palettes you'd have to find dragons with colors as close as possible to each other.
@gyaxa What you're asking is a little confusing, to narrow down color palettes you'd have to find dragons with colors as close as possible to each other.
BhWDcLm.png
@gyaxa So, if I'm understanding correctly, you know pretty much what you want but are having trouble finding two dragons that can produce it, probably because it's an unusual color combination, correct? And you're looking for all the dragons near your ideal primaries and secondaries but then aren't sure which of those would produce the tertiaries you want? Here's my advice: if you know what you want all the colors to be (even if one of those is a range rather than just one color), search for all three at once. Don't feel like you need to settle for colors way outside the range just because the combination is unusual. With that in mind, I'd start searching the auction house on a regular basis for dragons with hickory-copper primaries, cerise-watermelon secondaries, and whatever range you think you'd like for the tertiary plus two or three shades on either side. Post in Find a Dragon if you'd like, too. Then, once you've found two dragons of different sexes that can produce a brown/coral/[blue range possibly including cyan?] dragon, start breeding them as often as possible, and continue to search the auction house in the meantime using an even tighter range for a potential mate for one of their children. For what it's worth, I got curious and scryed a dragon with that color combination, and it's super pretty and I wouldn't be sorry to see more of it around. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=55&bodygene=1&breed=8&element=8&gender=0&tert=89&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=64&auth=b5143901d19cc5633fe1e9ad3d2c356713cd24a3&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
@gyaxa So, if I'm understanding correctly, you know pretty much what you want but are having trouble finding two dragons that can produce it, probably because it's an unusual color combination, correct? And you're looking for all the dragons near your ideal primaries and secondaries but then aren't sure which of those would produce the tertiaries you want?

Here's my advice: if you know what you want all the colors to be (even if one of those is a range rather than just one color), search for all three at once. Don't feel like you need to settle for colors way outside the range just because the combination is unusual.

With that in mind, I'd start searching the auction house on a regular basis for dragons with hickory-copper primaries, cerise-watermelon secondaries, and whatever range you think you'd like for the tertiary plus two or three shades on either side. Post in Find a Dragon if you'd like, too. Then, once you've found two dragons of different sexes that can produce a brown/coral/[blue range possibly including cyan?] dragon, start breeding them as often as possible, and continue to search the auction house in the meantime using an even tighter range for a potential mate for one of their children.

For what it's worth, I got curious and scryed a dragon with that color combination, and it's super pretty and I wouldn't be sorry to see more of it around.

dragon?age=1&body=55&bodygene=1&breed=8&element=8&gender=0&tert=89&tertgene=4&winggene=1&wings=64&auth=b5143901d19cc5633fe1e9ad3d2c356713cd24a3&dummyext=prev.png
@gyaxa Like Typhoom and logicbutton said, you're going to want to find two breedable dragons with all three colors as close on the [url=http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/flightrising/images/7/78/Rauxel%27s_color_wheel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160608184001]color wheel[/url] to your goal colors as possible. Let's see a made-up example! [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=124&bodygene=0&breed=5&element=2&gender=0&tert=151&tertgene=14&winggene=15&wings=63&auth=48eaa5adbe742c0a96a8e8b6d98196c805a144c9&dummyext=prev.png[/img] Here, we have a gentleman who happens to be Tarnish/Carmine/Phthalo. [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=166&bodygene=0&breed=5&element=2&gender=1&tert=99&tertgene=14&winggene=15&wings=160&auth=475e135b06e14a4a40719da1e34ed2f944df7064&dummyext=prev.png[/img] His girlfriend is Auburn/Raspberry/Robin. Any kids they have will have primaries between Tarnish and Auburn, secondaries between Carmine and Raspberry, and tertiaries between Phthalo and Robin. This would be a pretty wide range for a breeding project, but doable! Ideally you'd be able to find some dragons that matched at least one of your colors exactly, in order to cut down on the number of nests you'd have to go through to get your goal dragon. The new AH is really good for this, actually, as you can set a range of acceptable colors for your results. Good luck, and yeah that color range is super cute!
@gyaxa

Like Typhoom and logicbutton said, you're going to want to find two breedable dragons with all three colors as close on the color wheel to your goal colors as possible. Let's see a made-up example!

dragon?age=1&body=124&bodygene=0&breed=5&element=2&gender=0&tert=151&tertgene=14&winggene=15&wings=63&auth=48eaa5adbe742c0a96a8e8b6d98196c805a144c9&dummyext=prev.png
Here, we have a gentleman who happens to be Tarnish/Carmine/Phthalo.

dragon?age=1&body=166&bodygene=0&breed=5&element=2&gender=1&tert=99&tertgene=14&winggene=15&wings=160&auth=475e135b06e14a4a40719da1e34ed2f944df7064&dummyext=prev.png
His girlfriend is Auburn/Raspberry/Robin.

Any kids they have will have primaries between Tarnish and Auburn, secondaries between Carmine and Raspberry, and tertiaries between Phthalo and Robin. This would be a pretty wide range for a breeding project, but doable! Ideally you'd be able to find some dragons that matched at least one of your colors exactly, in order to cut down on the number of nests you'd have to go through to get your goal dragon. The new AH is really good for this, actually, as you can set a range of acceptable colors for your results.
Good luck, and yeah that color range is super cute!
An Ice emblem on a background made of ice and lava. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground.An Ice emblem on a background of ice shaped like a Christmas ornament. It briefly shimmers.An Ice Flight banner. The Ice emblem briefly grows icicles, which fall to the ground."An
@gyaxa Sorry to spam, but I love a challenge - check out these two, both currently up for auction for very reasonable prices: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31074683] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/310747/31074683_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32088100] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/320882/32088100_350.png[/img] [/url] The genes are awkward (especially hers) but the color ranges are right. Anyway, I'm done now, carry on.
@gyaxa

Sorry to spam, but I love a challenge - check out these two, both currently up for auction for very reasonable prices:

31074683_350.png

32088100_350.png

The genes are awkward (especially hers) but the color ranges are right. Anyway, I'm done now, carry on.
@logicbutton hey your post really helped me! i actually snatched up that bogsneak a second ago and i think i found the perfect partner for him!

i'll definitely be using the new auction house features to help further my project. thank you!
@logicbutton hey your post really helped me! i actually snatched up that bogsneak a second ago and i think i found the perfect partner for him!

i'll definitely be using the new auction house features to help further my project. thank you!
G64PJEH.pngmOggPvS.pngkQXO8qG.gif
@gyaxa Oh, that ginger/coral spiral? NICE, that is perfect, wow! Good luck on your breeding project!
@gyaxa Oh, that ginger/coral spiral? NICE, that is perfect, wow! Good luck on your breeding project!