Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Breeding
I've noticed I hatch a lot more males than females. It's rare for me to hatch a female. Is this common? I breed a lot of skydancers
I've noticed I hatch a lot more males than females. It's rare for me to hatch a female. Is this common? I breed a lot of skydancers
PNotEHd.png
@Kush Because breeding is entirely RNG based, it can appear that gender has a bias one way or the other. There really isn't a bias, but I hope you'll hatch more females soon. :)
@Kush Because breeding is entirely RNG based, it can appear that gender has a bias one way or the other. There really isn't a bias, but I hope you'll hatch more females soon. :)
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
@kush, it's common for users to notice a pattern in the hatchlings they hatch (I hatch more males than females, for example), but it's not intentional since hatchlings are randomly generated based on their parents. :)

Edit: Ninja'd!
@kush, it's common for users to notice a pattern in the hatchlings they hatch (I hatch more males than females, for example), but it's not intentional since hatchlings are randomly generated based on their parents. :)

Edit: Ninja'd!
@JCStitches @Barbie thank you both! What does RNG stand for?
@JCStitches @Barbie thank you both! What does RNG stand for?
PNotEHd.png
RNG = random number generator

Basically it's 50/50 chance of getting male or female, but it's only true if you're looking at the overall big picture. A few nests of your own is too small a sample hence many players had been misled by their own experience and thought the gender must be influenced in some way, when it is actually purely chance. ^^
RNG = random number generator

Basically it's 50/50 chance of getting male or female, but it's only true if you're looking at the overall big picture. A few nests of your own is too small a sample hence many players had been misled by their own experience and thought the gender must be influenced in some way, when it is actually purely chance. ^^
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
@hat17 oh I see. Thank you for explaining!
@hat17 oh I see. Thank you for explaining!
PNotEHd.png
Flight Rising, as it is run on a webserver, will most likely read bits from /dev/random which are seeded by memory management, leftovers from data operations and bits from network communication (in short: environmental noise). Because it is largely unpredictable which data part from which device is currently being worked on, it should be (almost) impossible to fool /dev/random. /dev/random is a special I/O "device" which will block reading when entropy (the randomness) of the material is insufficient.

/dev/random is thus per se a hybrid of PRNG and TRNG which however depends on user's actions to actually be random.

This may also be one of the reasons why hatching may cause lag shortly (/dev/random blocking).

TL;DR: It is actually random and not a pattern and you were just unlucky.
Flight Rising, as it is run on a webserver, will most likely read bits from /dev/random which are seeded by memory management, leftovers from data operations and bits from network communication (in short: environmental noise). Because it is largely unpredictable which data part from which device is currently being worked on, it should be (almost) impossible to fool /dev/random. /dev/random is a special I/O "device" which will block reading when entropy (the randomness) of the material is insufficient.

/dev/random is thus per se a hybrid of PRNG and TRNG which however depends on user's actions to actually be random.

This may also be one of the reasons why hatching may cause lag shortly (/dev/random blocking).

TL;DR: It is actually random and not a pattern and you were just unlucky.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar