Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What book got you into reading?
1 2 3 4 5
I was a casual reader until on a trip to Texas, my mom bought me a book called The Named and I was obsessed. It was part of a series called Guardians of Time by Marianne Curley and I've read them so many times.

I don't read as much as I used to but I did follow the avid reader to dirty books pipeline xD My kindle dies with me.
I was a casual reader until on a trip to Texas, my mom bought me a book called The Named and I was obsessed. It was part of a series called Guardians of Time by Marianne Curley and I've read them so many times.

I don't read as much as I used to but I did follow the avid reader to dirty books pipeline xD My kindle dies with me.
mrWEeMk.png
Dragon books and dinosaur books tbh. When I got grounded I had my books about dinosaurs to read and that was fascinating.

But really in 4th grade I discovered the dragon book selection and I was hooked! How to train your dragon series, those books with the dragon eyes about the little clay dragons (So niche I know), and plenty others I don't remember. They helped me fall in love with stories.

I just got a job at a book company and I've started reading mroe again, and its thanks to Heaven's Official blessing and Guardian :)
Dragon books and dinosaur books tbh. When I got grounded I had my books about dinosaurs to read and that was fascinating.

But really in 4th grade I discovered the dragon book selection and I was hooked! How to train your dragon series, those books with the dragon eyes about the little clay dragons (So niche I know), and plenty others I don't remember. They helped me fall in love with stories.

I just got a job at a book company and I've started reading mroe again, and its thanks to Heaven's Official blessing and Guardian :)
EkR4HOY.pnglight.gif
i've always loved reading but it was wings of fire. for a long time, and especially during covid, all i had was my books. i did have my best friend, but we couldnt hang out often cus of covid. so it was mostly me, my ipad and my books.
i've always loved reading but it was wings of fire. for a long time, and especially during covid, all i had was my books. i did have my best friend, but we couldnt hang out often cus of covid. so it was mostly me, my ipad and my books.
Silly guy, very stink, loves raving, rainbow and eat hot chip and LIE!!!
2bf6nnX.png 4MTkm8J.pngGW180jv.pngPjhDNyG.pngoYdS4J9.png Qwz7flm.png
hmlE0W8.pngk19P7h1.pngZqTATLu.pngNkk0jLq.pngKkw5lrF.pnga6XsLif.png
xszydnQ.pngePOliyb.pngjbMLSIO.pngQQYyU47.pngc0MyJPk.pngkCHWEjf.png
VDqpTLf.pngeswSnrS.pngFj9DUQD.pnggYW0j5f.pngL7aQfSh.png
i was a magic treehouse kid. :)

but my first novel was dragon rider by cornelia funke. my teacher read it to us in 3rd grade and i liked it so much i asked my mom to buy me a copy to read on my own.
i was a magic treehouse kid. :)

but my first novel was dragon rider by cornelia funke. my teacher read it to us in 3rd grade and i liked it so much i asked my mom to buy me a copy to read on my own.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
I'm not really sure because I've been reading ever since I can remember. My mom would always sit down and read to me and then have me read books back to her. So I've always been a fan of reading and can't really remember what I read that far back. I remember I really liked the hungry caterpillar and if you give a mouse a cookie lol

Have you tried listening to audioboooks? My husband has adhd and dyslexia which makes it hard for him to get into reading and trying to focus on it. He absolutely loves listening to audiobooks though.
I'm not really sure because I've been reading ever since I can remember. My mom would always sit down and read to me and then have me read books back to her. So I've always been a fan of reading and can't really remember what I read that far back. I remember I really liked the hungry caterpillar and if you give a mouse a cookie lol

Have you tried listening to audioboooks? My husband has adhd and dyslexia which makes it hard for him to get into reading and trying to focus on it. He absolutely loves listening to audiobooks though.
My parents read books to me when I was young, but English isn't their first language. I think that was after I was 5-6 because apparently, I had a speech impediment at 5( didn't realize this until I saw a report in my parents' childhood file on me since they kept all my info and reports cards and stuff from when I was young) stating I had trouble speaking. I think they started reading English books to me around that age to a) better their own English( mandarin/Taiwanese) is their first language and b) so my brother and I would be better at speaking and reading English since the speech issue was partially because my parents were probably just mostly speaking to us in mandarin or Taiwanese before that.

I'm not sure when I started liking reading, but.I remember reading stuff like the Berenstein Bears, the Boxcar Children, Babysitter's Club, etc.. when I was in elementary school (7-10). Also, just the really generic really young kids books for under 6, like The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Wild Things Are, etc.. If you Give a Mouse a Cookie...

Migrated to reading the Nancy Drew books, the Sweet Valley Books, etc.. in middle school and then classics by end of middle/into high school.
I did grow up with my parents taking me to the local library constantly when I was a kid so I think that fostered a love of reading when I was relatively young.

The first, first books I remember really liking in around 3rd-4th grade was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, The Boxcar Children Books, and Stuart Little.

I personally can't really seem to get into audiobooks and I've tried, but I agree with Forestheart. If the issue is trying to focus on the books, or in the case of dyslexia the words aren't reading in the correct order, maybe listening to them might be better.
My parents read books to me when I was young, but English isn't their first language. I think that was after I was 5-6 because apparently, I had a speech impediment at 5( didn't realize this until I saw a report in my parents' childhood file on me since they kept all my info and reports cards and stuff from when I was young) stating I had trouble speaking. I think they started reading English books to me around that age to a) better their own English( mandarin/Taiwanese) is their first language and b) so my brother and I would be better at speaking and reading English since the speech issue was partially because my parents were probably just mostly speaking to us in mandarin or Taiwanese before that.

I'm not sure when I started liking reading, but.I remember reading stuff like the Berenstein Bears, the Boxcar Children, Babysitter's Club, etc.. when I was in elementary school (7-10). Also, just the really generic really young kids books for under 6, like The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Wild Things Are, etc.. If you Give a Mouse a Cookie...

Migrated to reading the Nancy Drew books, the Sweet Valley Books, etc.. in middle school and then classics by end of middle/into high school.
I did grow up with my parents taking me to the local library constantly when I was a kid so I think that fostered a love of reading when I was relatively young.

The first, first books I remember really liking in around 3rd-4th grade was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, The Boxcar Children Books, and Stuart Little.

I personally can't really seem to get into audiobooks and I've tried, but I agree with Forestheart. If the issue is trying to focus on the books, or in the case of dyslexia the words aren't reading in the correct order, maybe listening to them might be better.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.- Le petit prince.
Gosh I don't know. I've always enjoyed reading when I actually decide to do so
I wanna say the warrior cats books but I absolutely know that's not true. Probably those 'How a dinosaur says I love you' books when I was little little. I used to read them out loud to the bus when I was going home!

But what actually got me into reading reading, like actual books was probably both the Michigan chillers and the Geronimo Stilton books! Ofc I also got into warriors and eventually wings of fire, but that was after
(I accidentally picked up like, the first book in the second arc of warriors? I was so confused. And I never bothered to get into wof until I got the first book for Christmas. But now I'm hooked on wof. Need to get back into warriors at some point)
Gosh I don't know. I've always enjoyed reading when I actually decide to do so
I wanna say the warrior cats books but I absolutely know that's not true. Probably those 'How a dinosaur says I love you' books when I was little little. I used to read them out loud to the bus when I was going home!

But what actually got me into reading reading, like actual books was probably both the Michigan chillers and the Geronimo Stilton books! Ofc I also got into warriors and eventually wings of fire, but that was after
(I accidentally picked up like, the first book in the second arc of warriors? I was so confused. And I never bothered to get into wof until I got the first book for Christmas. But now I'm hooked on wof. Need to get back into warriors at some point)
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
when I was little (maybe around 7?) i got these books called "pheobe and her unicorn" they were graphic novels because i could barley sit around and read a novel cause I liked visuals. my grandparents used to take me to the library too, so that helped. ever since then i read things like warrior cats, wings of fire, some manga, fnaf books, etc. Right now i'm reading "the stolen heir" by holly black, and i havent read many graphic novels recently. I have however become obsessed with fantasy novels and i'm planning on reading things like the hunger games soon
when I was little (maybe around 7?) i got these books called "pheobe and her unicorn" they were graphic novels because i could barley sit around and read a novel cause I liked visuals. my grandparents used to take me to the library too, so that helped. ever since then i read things like warrior cats, wings of fire, some manga, fnaf books, etc. Right now i'm reading "the stolen heir" by holly black, and i havent read many graphic novels recently. I have however become obsessed with fantasy novels and i'm planning on reading things like the hunger games soon
"A sword is a weapon of war, a dagger is a weapon of murder."
I HATED reading as a kid. Up till 3rd grade I only read children's books, like the really really tiny ones. The librarian at my school was finally like "Honey, you've got to start reading chapter books you're too old for this" and I was a bit embarrassed, so I picked up a book I've seen everyone else reading. It ended up being a Goosebumps book, and I loved it :D

From then on I only read bigger books, and I'm glad she pushed me to do so. I read the entire Goosebumps series back then too. Still adore those books <3
I HATED reading as a kid. Up till 3rd grade I only read children's books, like the really really tiny ones. The librarian at my school was finally like "Honey, you've got to start reading chapter books you're too old for this" and I was a bit embarrassed, so I picked up a book I've seen everyone else reading. It ended up being a Goosebumps book, and I loved it :D

From then on I only read bigger books, and I'm glad she pushed me to do so. I read the entire Goosebumps series back then too. Still adore those books <3
3Y3t130.pnglctaZd8.png AvyBrzc.png
Charlotte's Web! My third grade class did a read-along with the book and I was SO invested

good times... good times
Charlotte's Web! My third grade class did a read-along with the book and I was SO invested

good times... good times
ZPsmZvN.png91183757.png
1 2 3 4 5