Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Favorite Pokemon Generation?
1 2 3 4
What's your favorite Pokemon generation? (Plus favorite Pokemon of that generation?) There are currently 9 Pokemon generations! These include:
Gen 1, starters: Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle
Gen 2, starters: Chikorita, Cydnaquil, Totodile
Gen 3, starters: Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
Gen 4, starters: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup
Gen 5, starters: Snivy, Tepig, Oshawatt
Gen 6, starters: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie
Gen 7, starters: Rowlet, Litten, Popplio
Gen 8, starters: Grookie, Scorbunny, Sobble
Gen 9, starters: Sprigatito, Fuecoco, Quaxly

Mine is Gen 3! My favorite Pokemon from the gen, is tied between Ralts, and Absol! :)
Bonus question! (That im too lazy to answer myself)
Favorite Pokemon from each Generation?
What's your favorite Pokemon generation? (Plus favorite Pokemon of that generation?) There are currently 9 Pokemon generations! These include:
Gen 1, starters: Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle
Gen 2, starters: Chikorita, Cydnaquil, Totodile
Gen 3, starters: Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip
Gen 4, starters: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup
Gen 5, starters: Snivy, Tepig, Oshawatt
Gen 6, starters: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie
Gen 7, starters: Rowlet, Litten, Popplio
Gen 8, starters: Grookie, Scorbunny, Sobble
Gen 9, starters: Sprigatito, Fuecoco, Quaxly

Mine is Gen 3! My favorite Pokemon from the gen, is tied between Ralts, and Absol! :)
Bonus question! (That im too lazy to answer myself)
Favorite Pokemon from each Generation?
gen5 was the absolute peak of pokemon, whimsicott is my favorite from that generation and also in general. i don't think i could do a favorite from every generation i think gen6 has an absolutely stacked dex as well but that's moreso my opinion because i know im the only person who cares about aromatisse. also making me have to choose between burmy and giratina makes me sound like a complete weirdo.
gen5 was the absolute peak of pokemon, whimsicott is my favorite from that generation and also in general. i don't think i could do a favorite from every generation i think gen6 has an absolutely stacked dex as well but that's moreso my opinion because i know im the only person who cares about aromatisse. also making me have to choose between burmy and giratina makes me sound like a complete weirdo.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
Proooobably gen 2 or 5 (or 9???) honestly they all have their good points!
Proooobably gen 2 or 5 (or 9???) honestly they all have their good points!
tumblr_inline_mjvop8mMef1qz4rgp.gif tumblr_md2y0qnWDS1qk1or3.gif
Gen 3 is my favorite!

Favorite Pokemon from each gen:

I'm not gonna count Eeveelutions past Gen 1 or most of this list would just be those honestly.

Gen 1: Eevee or Arcanine
Gen 2: Furret
Gen 3: I can't choose just one, so Sceptile, Masquerain, Flygon and Absol
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 5: Joltik
Gen 6: Aurorus
Gen 7: Lycanroc
Gen 8: Appletun
Gen 9: Cyclizar
Gen 3 is my favorite!

Favorite Pokemon from each gen:

I'm not gonna count Eeveelutions past Gen 1 or most of this list would just be those honestly.

Gen 1: Eevee or Arcanine
Gen 2: Furret
Gen 3: I can't choose just one, so Sceptile, Masquerain, Flygon and Absol
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 5: Joltik
Gen 6: Aurorus
Gen 7: Lycanroc
Gen 9: Cyclizar
q9EEy5M.png
3mp8TrJ.png
31mYbGr.gif
WvEXipG.png
My favorite is gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal) hands down, and I absolutely adore the totodile line, togepi, the shiny garydos, and slowpoke. I know those are kind of basic, but what I really loved about that generation was the story, so my starter and the story-centric pokémon hold a massive piece of my heart. OH! And sudowoodo! My goofy wiggly guy who refused to let me go to the mall! Just great pokémon all around in that gen.

I do separate "favorite" from which I think is the best/most fun game from my perspective. I'd probably say gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) wins on that front for me. I think that every generation has its own gems and issues, but G3 really nailed the balance between quality-of-life updates, experimental sections, and great new pokémon without winding up with too much cruft or the massive overload of dex demands that started to pile up as the generations continued.

And as honorable mentions, of the stuff for the DS onward my favorites are 100% the Let's Go! pair and Arceus. They're weird, experimental games and not perfect by any means, but I think they were really interesting and fun reimaginings of the core mechanics on newer, more powerful hardware! I can't play them without imagining how much they would have blown my mind when I was younger; it makes me so happy to know that now kids get to play games practically plucked from my childhood imagination.
My favorite is gen 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal) hands down, and I absolutely adore the totodile line, togepi, the shiny garydos, and slowpoke. I know those are kind of basic, but what I really loved about that generation was the story, so my starter and the story-centric pokémon hold a massive piece of my heart. OH! And sudowoodo! My goofy wiggly guy who refused to let me go to the mall! Just great pokémon all around in that gen.

I do separate "favorite" from which I think is the best/most fun game from my perspective. I'd probably say gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) wins on that front for me. I think that every generation has its own gems and issues, but G3 really nailed the balance between quality-of-life updates, experimental sections, and great new pokémon without winding up with too much cruft or the massive overload of dex demands that started to pile up as the generations continued.

And as honorable mentions, of the stuff for the DS onward my favorites are 100% the Let's Go! pair and Arceus. They're weird, experimental games and not perfect by any means, but I think they were really interesting and fun reimaginings of the core mechanics on newer, more powerful hardware! I can't play them without imagining how much they would have blown my mind when I was younger; it makes me so happy to know that now kids get to play games practically plucked from my childhood imagination.
gen 5 my nostalgia favorite is gen 2 Gen 1: haunter Gen 2: typhlosion [emoji=mirror size=1] Gen 3: flygon or salamence Gen 4: giratina lol (for non-legendaries I choose garchomp) Gen 5: haxorus Gen 6: tyrantrum Gen 7: golisopod Gen 8: uh. centiscorch Gen 9: i don't know enough about the gen 9 dex but the basculin evo looked cool edit: wait... I choose the tazer bug thing lokix
gen 5

my nostalgia favorite is gen 2

Gen 1: haunter
Gen 2: typhlosion
Gen 3: flygon or salamence
Gen 4: giratina lol (for non-legendaries I choose garchomp)
Gen 5: haxorus
Gen 6: tyrantrum
Gen 7: golisopod
Gen 8: uh. centiscorch
Gen 9: i don't know enough about the gen 9 dex but the basculin evo looked cool
edit: wait... I choose the tazer bug thing
lokix

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
Generations 4 or 5, I will not lie, I am a shill for nostalgia, also I just really like pixelated graphics, I'm sad that they're no longer the popular medium for non-indie games. I also really like sun&moon and scarvio.

I don't know if I can say I have a favorite Pokémon overall, there are so many banger designs I would be devastated if I neglect a single one. A non-exhaustive list does feature: Starly line, Hippowdon, Mudsdale, Fomantis, Darumaka (unova and galarian form!), sewaddle line, most if not all gen 5 bugs, horsea line, polteageist (all versions), bramblin and his evo, pumpkaboo, misdrevous line, noivern line, charjabug line, espurr, claydol, sigilyph, lunatone and solrock, baltoy, bronzong line, cofagrigus

My favorite types are ground, flying, and bug. I wish psychic were more meta :(
Generations 4 or 5, I will not lie, I am a shill for nostalgia, also I just really like pixelated graphics, I'm sad that they're no longer the popular medium for non-indie games. I also really like sun&moon and scarvio.

I don't know if I can say I have a favorite Pokémon overall, there are so many banger designs I would be devastated if I neglect a single one. A non-exhaustive list does feature: Starly line, Hippowdon, Mudsdale, Fomantis, Darumaka (unova and galarian form!), sewaddle line, most if not all gen 5 bugs, horsea line, polteageist (all versions), bramblin and his evo, pumpkaboo, misdrevous line, noivern line, charjabug line, espurr, claydol, sigilyph, lunatone and solrock, baltoy, bronzong line, cofagrigus

My favorite types are ground, flying, and bug. I wish psychic were more meta :(
UwUnl7O.png
mlHpBMC.pngmjtJ868.png 5vnsOgE.pngQ2if6VF.png
g4 is the one I started with, but I think g5 is my favorite overall, something about it feels just a little more polished in the right way. I have an excessive amount of nostalgia for g4, tho.
my favorite Pokemon are Spectrier, Cobalion, Ponyta, Mudsdale, Blitzle, Absol, Lucario, Vulpix, and Espurr, in no particular order. Spectrier is always my top fave bc it's literally an ace flag horsie. also my fav Eeveelution is Vaporeon and my fav starter is Piplup.
g4 is the one I started with, but I think g5 is my favorite overall, something about it feels just a little more polished in the right way. I have an excessive amount of nostalgia for g4, tho.
my favorite Pokemon are Spectrier, Cobalion, Ponyta, Mudsdale, Blitzle, Absol, Lucario, Vulpix, and Espurr, in no particular order. Spectrier is always my top fave bc it's literally an ace flag horsie. also my fav Eeveelution is Vaporeon and my fav starter is Piplup.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
For me it's a tie between gens 5 and 6. For gen 5 it's the nostalgia, and gen 6 are the games I have played the most of between x/y and alpha sapphire.

My favorite pokemon overall are Oshawott, Arcanine, and Bulbasaur.

Here're my favorites from each gen though:

Gen 1: Arcanine, Bulbasaur, Vaporeon
Gen 2: Meganium, Flaaffy, Scizor
Gen 3: Blaziken, Surskit, Mawile, Sableye
Gen 4: Cherubi, Shellos, Gallade
Gen 5: Oshawott/Samurott, Darumaka, Archeops, Eelektross, Dwebble, Joltik
Gen 6: Braixen, Noivern, Pyroar (male)
Gen 7: Oricorio (pom-pom), Salandit, Kommo-o
Gen 9: Meowscarada, Tinkaton, Great Tusk

My favorite types are Dragon, Bug, and Water
For me it's a tie between gens 5 and 6. For gen 5 it's the nostalgia, and gen 6 are the games I have played the most of between x/y and alpha sapphire.

My favorite pokemon overall are Oshawott, Arcanine, and Bulbasaur.

Here're my favorites from each gen though:

Gen 1: Arcanine, Bulbasaur, Vaporeon
Gen 2: Meganium, Flaaffy, Scizor
Gen 3: Blaziken, Surskit, Mawile, Sableye
Gen 4: Cherubi, Shellos, Gallade
Gen 5: Oshawott/Samurott, Darumaka, Archeops, Eelektross, Dwebble, Joltik
Gen 6: Braixen, Noivern, Pyroar (male)
Gen 7: Oricorio (pom-pom), Salandit, Kommo-o
Gen 9: Meowscarada, Tinkaton, Great Tusk

My favorite types are Dragon, Bug, and Water
gen 5!! thats what i started with, since i didn't really "grow up" with pokemon (religious household, my sister bought the game with her own money.) and honestly, though a couple games have come close, i think thats still my favorite. but tbh im that one guy that defends gen 9, i ADORE scarlet/violet, it gave me a sense of like, joy and whimsy that i genuinely havent felt since playing black/white for the first time. but i also find a lot of joy in each game!

my favorite pokemon are absol, oshawott, appletun, palafin, and vulpix/ninetales (soft spot for alolan form, but i love base form too!)
gen 5!! thats what i started with, since i didn't really "grow up" with pokemon (religious household, my sister bought the game with her own money.) and honestly, though a couple games have come close, i think thats still my favorite. but tbh im that one guy that defends gen 9, i ADORE scarlet/violet, it gave me a sense of like, joy and whimsy that i genuinely havent felt since playing black/white for the first time. but i also find a lot of joy in each game!

my favorite pokemon are absol, oshawott, appletun, palafin, and vulpix/ninetales (soft spot for alolan form, but i love base form too!)
ePOliyb.pngHdmxfuE.pngWTRVHVo.png
1vAtYxM.pngsh5xjiu.pngpcUL48u.png
PRICTGJ.pngVDqpTLf.pngmtHAEL4.png
cdqdRxL.png5Tw56Ex.png
YMPbu9R.png
1 2 3 4