Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Recommendations for my new ereader
1 2
When I was a kid, my mom gave me her Kindle. I loved that thing, so I decided to get a Kindle Paperwhite. I really like books and reading but I'm most likely dyslexic and I struggle with having to re-read lines of text. Turns out, the kindle I'm getting has dyslexic font options!!!! I'm super excited for it to arrive.

Books I've read and are searching for like-vibes: Hobbit, Frankenstein, Circe/Song of Achilles, Twilight, Revolt of the Angels, Anna Karenina, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Any book recommendations are a go! I'd like to try something new or old!
When I was a kid, my mom gave me her Kindle. I loved that thing, so I decided to get a Kindle Paperwhite. I really like books and reading but I'm most likely dyslexic and I struggle with having to re-read lines of text. Turns out, the kindle I'm getting has dyslexic font options!!!! I'm super excited for it to arrive.

Books I've read and are searching for like-vibes: Hobbit, Frankenstein, Circe/Song of Achilles, Twilight, Revolt of the Angels, Anna Karenina, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

Any book recommendations are a go! I'd like to try something new or old!
HxcMlGn.pngMUYNhfy.pngE7XeyWd.png
gTTW2gA.pngKxbpiqI.png
a69iToJ.png
Watership Down I'm think you would like it [emoji=new friend size=1] happy for the Kindle!
Watership Down I'm think you would like it happy for the Kindle!
XI8Ptgx.jpg
The Discworld-nooks by Sir Terry Pratchett. They're good.
And it's not really a series per se, so you can just pick one up and go. Either read some blurbs and pick what you like, or check out some of the various suggested reading orders on the official website. Or just pick up the first that your e-book store suggests.
One major exeption, though: Don't start with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. The former is the first book and doesn't really capture what makes the Disc so beloved, the latter is the second book and the only really direct sequel of the whole bunch. Both are nice books, just not good starting points.

Other than that, based on what you like, you'll probably enjoy the Temeraire-series by Naomi Novik. It's an alternate history/fantasy novel, featuring dragons in the Napoleonic war. Great stuff.
And it's not really a series per se, so you can just pick one up and go. Either read some blurbs and pick what you like, or check out some of the various suggested reading orders on the official website. Or just pick up the first that your e-book store suggests.
One major exeption, though: Don't start with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. The former is the first book and doesn't really capture what makes the Disc so beloved, the latter is the second book and the only really direct sequel of the whole bunch. Both are nice books, just not good starting points.

Other than that, based on what you like, you'll probably enjoy the Temeraire-series by Naomi Novik. It's an alternate history/fantasy novel, featuring dragons in the Napoleonic war. Great stuff.
Idk if I have great book recommendations (I tend to say the same books and those books don't sound like we have same taste?) But I will ping my mom @DrMamaBear, who is currently reading on her kindle and will see this later lol
Idk if I have great book recommendations (I tend to say the same books and those books don't sound like we have same taste?) But I will ping my mom @DrMamaBear, who is currently reading on her kindle and will see this later lol
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
Hmmm... I've been reading a lot of YA stuff lately. There's a series called Shadow and Bone. Also, I've read a lot by C.N. Crawford, which I've really enjoyed. There's a Crave series by Tracy Wolff. Most of what I've been reading lately deals with either angels/demons or magical creatures (fae, dragons, etc). The great thing is once you've done some reading on your Kindle, it will give you suggestions of similar books/series to try. :) I've always been a "physical" book type of person, but my hubby got me a Kindle a couple of years ago & I *LOVE* it!
ETA: If you really like to read a lot, I recommend spending the money to get Kindle Unlimited. I read 107 *NEW* books last year, thanks to it.
Hmmm... I've been reading a lot of YA stuff lately. There's a series called Shadow and Bone. Also, I've read a lot by C.N. Crawford, which I've really enjoyed. There's a Crave series by Tracy Wolff. Most of what I've been reading lately deals with either angels/demons or magical creatures (fae, dragons, etc). The great thing is once you've done some reading on your Kindle, it will give you suggestions of similar books/series to try. :) I've always been a "physical" book type of person, but my hubby got me a Kindle a couple of years ago & I *LOVE* it!
ETA: If you really like to read a lot, I recommend spending the money to get Kindle Unlimited. I read 107 *NEW* books last year, thanks to it.
Untitled137-20230810200516.pngEypKCgu.pngvoNNCyf.png9EHwGiP.pngWj3N42A.png
Hey, congratulations on the new Kindle! I also got a new one for these holidays and so far I've read 8 books since January 1st... it's like I'm swallowing them whole timetimes, haha

It seems that you're more into more classical and romance types of books whereas I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (and random trauma memoirs) so I'm not sure if I can make you any good suggestions, but if it sounds interesting to you, then I love to recommend the Murderbot Diaries! It's a series of mostly novellas and does a really cool job of exploring humanity and also being an action-packed romp of an adventure.
Hey, congratulations on the new Kindle! I also got a new one for these holidays and so far I've read 8 books since January 1st... it's like I'm swallowing them whole timetimes, haha

It seems that you're more into more classical and romance types of books whereas I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (and random trauma memoirs) so I'm not sure if I can make you any good suggestions, but if it sounds interesting to you, then I love to recommend the Murderbot Diaries! It's a series of mostly novellas and does a really cool job of exploring humanity and also being an action-packed romp of an adventure.
npUP8G8.png

Liesmith
> dawning hatchery
> profile dragon

LxswJzX.png
[quote name="Acqua" date="2024-01-18 05:47:32" ] Watership Down I'm think you would like it [emoji=new friend size=1] happy for the Kindle! [/quote] @Acqua Thank you for the recommendation! I forgot that this is a book too, I liked the movie! I added it to my TBR wishlist [emoji=pink star size=1]
Acqua wrote on 2024-01-18 05:47:32:
Watership Down I'm think you would like it happy for the Kindle!

@Acqua Thank you for the recommendation! I forgot that this is a book too, I liked the movie! I added it to my TBR wishlist
gTTW2gA.pngKxbpiqI.png
a69iToJ.png
[quote name="Xionahri" date="2024-01-18 09:14:27" ] The Discworld-nooks by Sir Terry Pratchett. They're good. And it's not really a series per se, so you can just pick one up and go. Either read some blurbs and pick what you like, or check out some of the various suggested reading orders on the official website. Or just pick up the first that your e-book store suggests. One major exeption, though: Don't start with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. The former is the first book and doesn't really capture what makes the Disc so beloved, the latter is the second book and the only really direct sequel of the whole bunch. Both are nice books, just not good starting points. Other than that, based on what you like, you'll probably enjoy the Temeraire-series by Naomi Novik. It's an alternate history/fantasy novel, featuring dragons in the Napoleonic war. Great stuff. [/quote] @Xionahri Thank you for sharing books with me! I added [i]Guards! Guards!: A Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett and A Deadly Education (Book One)[/i] and [i]His Majesty's Dragon (Book One) by Naomi Novik[/i] to my TBR wishlist!
Xionahri wrote on 2024-01-18 09:14:27:

@Xionahri Thank you for sharing books with me! I added Guards! Guards!: A Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett and A Deadly Education (Book One) and His Majesty's Dragon (Book One) by Naomi Novik to my TBR wishlist!
gTTW2gA.pngKxbpiqI.png
a69iToJ.png
[quote name="DrMamaBear" date="2024-01-18 15:25:38" ] Hmmm... I've been reading a lot of YA stuff lately. There's a series called Shadow and Bone. Also, I've read a lot by C.N. Crawford, which I've really enjoyed. There's a Crave series by Tracy Wolff. Most of what I've been reading lately deals with either angels/demons or magical creatures (fae, dragons, etc). The great thing is once you've done some reading on your Kindle, it will give you suggestions of similar books/series to try. :) I've always been a "physical" book type of person, but my hubby got me a Kindle a couple of years ago & I *LOVE* it! ETA: If you really like to read a lot, I recommend spending the money to get Kindle Unlimited. I read 107 *NEW* books last year, thanks to it. [/quote] @DrMamaBear @Wisdum Thank you! I appreciate you asking around! I have heard of Shadow and Bone but I haven't given it a go yet! I'll add it to my wishlist! I also added the first Crave book, looks like a fun vampire book! I am a physical-book-reader kind of person too! <3 But I'm trying to only keep physical copies of books I really love. My goal this year to read more! I am excited to get a Kindle again. I got the ad-free lock screen option and I also added the 3-month Kindle unlimited feature! It's amazing how many books you were able to read!
DrMamaBear wrote on 2024-01-18 15:25:38:

@DrMamaBear @Wisdum Thank you! I appreciate you asking around! I have heard of Shadow and Bone but I haven't given it a go yet! I'll add it to my wishlist! I also added the first Crave book, looks like a fun vampire book!

I am a physical-book-reader kind of person too! <3 But I'm trying to only keep physical copies of books I really love. My goal this year to read more! I am excited to get a Kindle again. I got the ad-free lock screen option and I also added the 3-month Kindle unlimited feature! It's amazing how many books you were able to read!
gTTW2gA.pngKxbpiqI.png
a69iToJ.png
[quote name="Liesmith" date="2024-01-18 16:13:36" ] Hey, congratulations on the new Kindle! I also got a new one for these holidays and so far I've read 8 books since January 1st... it's like I'm swallowing them whole timetimes, haha It seems that you're more into more classical and romance types of books whereas I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy (and random trauma memoirs) so I'm not sure if I can make you any good suggestions, but if it sounds interesting to you, then I love to recommend the Murderbot Diaries! It's a series of mostly novellas and does a really cool job of exploring humanity and also being an action-packed romp of an adventure. [/quote] @Liesmith Thank you! I hope to swallow books whole this year too! [emoji=coatl star size=1] I do like classical and romance books but I like most other genres! I added [i]All Systems Red[/i] to the TBR wishlist! I love robots/droids and dystopias!! If you like trauma memoirs, my friend read [i]House of Leaves: Full-Color Edition by Mark Danielewski[/i]. It's a fiction mystery/investigation/horror/memoir book, I remember my friend crying while decoding a hidden message and writing notes all over the pages. I wouldn't recommend it for the Kindle though, since some pages are upside down, text is colorized in some pages, and it seems very interactive.
Liesmith wrote on 2024-01-18 16:13:36:

@Liesmith Thank you! I hope to swallow books whole this year too! I do like classical and romance books but I like most other genres! I added All Systems Red to the TBR wishlist! I love robots/droids and dystopias!!

If you like trauma memoirs, my friend read House of Leaves: Full-Color Edition by Mark Danielewski. It's a fiction mystery/investigation/horror/memoir book, I remember my friend crying while decoding a hidden message and writing notes all over the pages. I wouldn't recommend it for the Kindle though, since some pages are upside down, text is colorized in some pages, and it seems very interactive.
gTTW2gA.pngKxbpiqI.png
a69iToJ.png
1 2