Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What's an invasive species in your area?
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
@Spamy You don't, trust me! All these invasive species are ruining our ecosystem and there's no way to get rid of them :(
@Spamy You don't, trust me! All these invasive species are ruining our ecosystem and there's no way to get rid of them :(
Kudzu--it's everywhere O.o
Kudzu--it's everywhere O.o
HtlG70F.gifHtwqkyQ.gifHtwqky-Q-7.pngNew-Project-1.pngNew-Piskel-3.png
__image.png
__badge.png
Spotted lanternflies are invasive here, and squashing the suckers whenever you see them is very much encouraged in the area haha [img]https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/styles/optimized/public/2021-02/HGIC_insects_spottedlanternfly_16x9.jpg[/img]
Spotted lanternflies are invasive here, and squashing the suckers whenever you see them is very much encouraged in the area haha
HGIC_insects_spottedlanternfly_16x9.jpg
5BsilZ9.png
NlmYDAS.png
mlHpBMC.png
EL8P38X.png
Maybe not technically invasive since they don’t cause harm on the ecosystem, but, fleas. They’re seasonal, but the fleas in my area have grown resistant to flea treatments and have developed the ability to freeze their life stage during winter to come back just as strong as ever when it warms up. Not all fleas can do that from my understanding. Even the eggs can do this. They freeze in the winter and as soon as it’s warm enough they start hatching.

It’s basically a guarantee that your animals will get fleas during the spring and summer where I live, and it will be almost impossible to get rid of them, even doing extensive treatments on your house and pets. My cats are strictly indoors and they still manage to get fleas pretty much every year.. Thankfully they don’t seem to bite humans as much as other fleas. I didn’t even realize my cats had fleas the first time because I wasn’t getting any bites and they didn’t seem to be super itchy or anything.

They’re also much larger than normal fleas. When I was younger, they weren’t like this. I remember having to deal with fleas on our animals but it wasn’t nearly as difficult to get rid of them as it is now, and they were much smaller.

The vets in my area have dubbed them “super fleas” and suggest constant treatment to minimize the fleas and flea eggs as much as possible, but even they’re aware it won’t completely eliminate the problem. Oral flea medication is the best option, although it still doesn’t work as good as it used to. Oral flea medication used to be the last resort for our pets, and when we used it, it would always eliminate the problem. No more.
Maybe not technically invasive since they don’t cause harm on the ecosystem, but, fleas. They’re seasonal, but the fleas in my area have grown resistant to flea treatments and have developed the ability to freeze their life stage during winter to come back just as strong as ever when it warms up. Not all fleas can do that from my understanding. Even the eggs can do this. They freeze in the winter and as soon as it’s warm enough they start hatching.

It’s basically a guarantee that your animals will get fleas during the spring and summer where I live, and it will be almost impossible to get rid of them, even doing extensive treatments on your house and pets. My cats are strictly indoors and they still manage to get fleas pretty much every year.. Thankfully they don’t seem to bite humans as much as other fleas. I didn’t even realize my cats had fleas the first time because I wasn’t getting any bites and they didn’t seem to be super itchy or anything.

They’re also much larger than normal fleas. When I was younger, they weren’t like this. I remember having to deal with fleas on our animals but it wasn’t nearly as difficult to get rid of them as it is now, and they were much smaller.

The vets in my area have dubbed them “super fleas” and suggest constant treatment to minimize the fleas and flea eggs as much as possible, but even they’re aware it won’t completely eliminate the problem. Oral flea medication is the best option, although it still doesn’t work as good as it used to. Oral flea medication used to be the last resort for our pets, and when we used it, it would always eliminate the problem. No more.
xWvVlRG.png
Rivorn
she/they
fr time +0
pixel shop
output-onlinegiftools-1.gif qO3o9mR.pngaQp8eZz.pngybQJlHz.png
DHc3orZ.png
Rats
Rats
8-BADFBF9-7-B11-4-F4-E-A48-C-0-FD2320-DF1-F8.png
Lots and lots of fire ants. They're especially a problem for my dogs and I in the summer. [emoji=spiral deadpan size=2]
Lots and lots of fire ants. They're especially a problem for my dogs and I in the summer.
YMPbu9R.pngdFnwkLI.png oySYa5s.png 6Je3hjY.png
tyEuRXe.png LCqISMP.png nupGNag.png RfMwnPI.png
twiuBT0.png I5qcdda.png uVEyOnT.png jlA5frr.png
Japanese Honeysuckle [img]https://www.thespruce.com/thmb/GzxrvpaLaFxQtUwjfGx9KIvVYqc=/3175x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/japanese-honeysuckle-vines-2132890-06-52e87626dc7f42faba23fab1b842e1f1.jpg[/img] It's eveywhere, so much so that I didn't even know they weren't native until a few years ago. I also didn't know that there were other species of honeysuckle, like the Trumpet Honeysuckle, which IS native and very pretty! [img]https://www.uaex.uada.edu/yard-garden/images/plantoftheweek/Honeysuckle.jpg[/img]
Japanese Honeysuckle

japanese-honeysuckle-vines-2132890-06-52e87626dc7f42faba23fab1b842e1f1.jpg

It's eveywhere, so much so that I didn't even know they weren't native until a few years ago. I also didn't know that there were other species of honeysuckle, like the Trumpet Honeysuckle, which IS native and very pretty!

Honeysuckle.jpg
OETsgJU.pngH5WeqZH.pngsh5xjiu.pngbYt72YT.pngtyEuRXe.png
oaolHwW.pngAl1BEGR.pngUuKod4C.pngR1dejfm.pnguPNWHgD.png
6epgHfG.png
Good old English ivy, it's everywhere and kills all the trees, and the issue is that parks will have ivy clean ups, but where its at its worst is between those places on people's private property that's also a part of the forest, it doesn't matter if you clear it from a part if the adjacent neighborhood's trees are infested too
Good old English ivy, it's everywhere and kills all the trees, and the issue is that parks will have ivy clean ups, but where its at its worst is between those places on people's private property that's also a part of the forest, it doesn't matter if you clear it from a part if the adjacent neighborhood's trees are infested too
[quote name=@katydidz date="2024-01-07 14:03:59" ] we have monk parrots here! it's a shame they're invasive but it is really neat to see a flock of green birds in parking lots or on power lines. [img]https://www.thesprucepets.com/thmb/1HKsDiokISRjMvevBTdUTYpgbBc=/3524x2350/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/monk-parakeet--myiopsitta-monachus--641818688-5b4c1a46c9e77c001aced3aa.jpg[/img] [size=1][s]english ivy is a real pain, it's everywhere and i'm allergic to it. -__- drives me nuts to see people plant it intentionally [/quote] I'LL TAKE YOUR WHOLE STOCK
@katydidz wrote on 2024-01-07 14:03:59:
we have monk parrots here! it's a shame they're invasive but it is really neat to see a flock of green birds in parking lots or on power lines.

monk-parakeet--myiopsitta-monachus--641818688-5b4c1a46c9e77c001aced3aa.jpg

english ivy is a real pain, it's everywhere and i'm allergic to it. -__- drives me nuts to see people plant it intentionally

I'LL TAKE YOUR WHOLE STOCK
wishlist
he/kit
xenogender
trans
transmasc

arospec
rosboy
gay
ace

catgender
Adorable Arcane Hatchery! you should listen to them... NOW!!! Coatl Swirls! semi-verbal
autistic
bird dad
please ping!!!
FR+2
Browntail caterpillars/moths. They decimate certain species of trees. My apple trees get hit so bad every year and each time I never know if they're going to survive it or not! They strip literally all of the leaves off. Every single leaf. Its awful!
Browntail caterpillars/moths. They decimate certain species of trees. My apple trees get hit so bad every year and each time I never know if they're going to survive it or not! They strip literally all of the leaves off. Every single leaf. Its awful!
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18