Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | How did you learn English?
1 2 3 4 5
@LouckyKoneko I understand! Besides MLP and LPS, I used all of my brain to play Minecraft, Skyrim, sell art and do the Harry Potter quiz a thousand times with no English knowledge. There's something magical about having a passion for something and accidentally using it as fuel to learn. [quote](ah, the good old days when youtube still had pokemon movies cut into 15 minute parts in 240p quality).[/quote] [quote]"OOOOOOOH so that's why Simba's uncle is named Scar!"[/quote] YES HASHDSADA that's relatable!
@LouckyKoneko I understand! Besides MLP and LPS, I used all of my brain to play Minecraft, Skyrim, sell art and do the Harry Potter quiz a thousand times with no English knowledge. There's something magical about having a passion for something and accidentally using it as fuel to learn.
Quote:
(ah, the good old days when youtube still had pokemon movies cut into 15 minute parts in 240p quality).
Quote:
"OOOOOOOH so that's why Simba's uncle is named Scar!"
YES HASHDSADA that's relatable!

where am i
@mariss are you staying in the USA now? How did it go? My language is Brazilian Portuguese [emoji=new friend size=1]
@mariss are you staying in the USA now? How did it go?

My language is Brazilian Portuguese
where am i
@xSuperMario64x it isn't dumb! I really wonder how it must be to have English as your first language or how it sounds to you guys! I remember playing The Sims when I was younger and thinking they were speaking English, it took me a loooong time to figure out I probably shouldn't copy what they're saying LOL
@xSuperMario64x it isn't dumb! I really wonder how it must be to have English as your first language or how it sounds to you guys! I remember playing The Sims when I was younger and thinking they were speaking English, it took me a loooong time to figure out I probably shouldn't copy what they're saying LOL
where am i
@WHDE the school education where I live su[beep]s too! I think I had 10 years of learning he/she/it and verb to be [emoji=skull size=1] in the end, I let the other students copy my work and the teacher didn't even care. Your native language is Korean, right? It's so beautiful! I love the writing system. I tried learning it for a while (mostly because of Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint to be honest), but unfortunetely I had to prioritize languages that would be more useful to me and say goodbye to Korean and Russian </3 People here seem really understanding! It makes it way more comfortable to try English
@WHDE the school education where I live su[beep]s too! I think I had 10 years of learning he/she/it and verb to be in the end, I let the other students copy my work and the teacher didn't even care.

Your native language is Korean, right? It's so beautiful! I love the writing system. I tried learning it for a while (mostly because of Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint to be honest), but unfortunetely I had to prioritize languages that would be more useful to me and say goodbye to Korean and Russian </3

People here seem really understanding! It makes it way more comfortable to try English
where am i
@PixelSpiral Ohhh! That's amazing! What's your first language?
@PixelSpiral Ohhh! That's amazing! What's your first language?
where am i
@CinnamonThief LOOL Nintendo has quite the reputation for that! Same thing in Brazil, they didn't even sell things to us before. Game piracy, not only for Nintendo, was the only option for brazilian gamers back in the day.

Are the Swedish VAs good? I heard most people there speak English, so that was why they didn't bother with translations... is that somewhat true?

It's so cool they give you options for a third language :0
@CinnamonThief LOOL Nintendo has quite the reputation for that! Same thing in Brazil, they didn't even sell things to us before. Game piracy, not only for Nintendo, was the only option for brazilian gamers back in the day.

Are the Swedish VAs good? I heard most people there speak English, so that was why they didn't bother with translations... is that somewhat true?

where am i
i learned english mostly through the internet, youtube and such! watched a lot of minecraft youtubers, markiplier, pewdiepie, you name it. also got REALLY interested in online games, especially animal jam. i actually think that playing animal jam was the way i learned how to write english haha

also, we traveled a lot (still do), but traveling to other countries was a great way for me to learn english ! though im kind of scared of flying now so im not sure if i even wanna go anywhere X_X
i learned english mostly through the internet, youtube and such! watched a lot of minecraft youtubers, markiplier, pewdiepie, you name it. also got REALLY interested in online games, especially animal jam. i actually think that playing animal jam was the way i learned how to write english haha

also, we traveled a lot (still do), but traveling to other countries was a great way for me to learn english ! though im kind of scared of flying now so im not sure if i even wanna go anywhere X_X
Oup.gif
^ hi.. . my art ^
[quote name="DoctorLena" date="2023-01-25 05:18:35" ] @CinnamonThief LOOL Nintendo has quite the reputation for that! Same thing in Brazil, they didn't even sell things to us before. Game piracy, not only for Nintendo, was the only option for brazilian gamers back in the day. Are the Swedish VAs good? I heard most people there speak English, so that was why they didn't bother with translations... is that somewhat true? It's so cool they give you options for a third language :0 [/quote] @DoctorLena Can't speak for the industry as a whole, but for the Spyro games the VAs were pretty good. No complaints from my side. As for speaking English, that's mostly true, yeah. But of course it depends a lot on the audience. Stuff that's largely popularized through the internet like manga isn't translated anymore, people just buy the English volumes (if you go into a manga store here 90% of the stock is in English). But works that are marketed towards people who tend to have worse English, like the very youngest, the older people, rural areas, less "online" people, that tends to get translated. Same if a work is popular enough that it can justify the cost of translation. The one thing you will NEVER see is a dubbed live-action movie. Maybe if it's for kids, but for adults, never. Everyone has grown up with subs and dubbing over one would not go over well :P
DoctorLena wrote on 2023-01-25 05:18:35:

@DoctorLena
Can't speak for the industry as a whole, but for the Spyro games the VAs were pretty good. No complaints from my side.

As for speaking English, that's mostly true, yeah. But of course it depends a lot on the audience. Stuff that's largely popularized through the internet like manga isn't translated anymore, people just buy the English volumes (if you go into a manga store here 90% of the stock is in English).

But works that are marketed towards people who tend to have worse English, like the very youngest, the older people, rural areas, less "online" people, that tends to get translated. Same if a work is popular enough that it can justify the cost of translation.

The one thing you will NEVER see is a dubbed live-action movie. Maybe if it's for kids, but for adults, never. Everyone has grown up with subs and dubbing over one would not go over well :P

Being chronically online... yes. One of my first experiences of typing English was within Roblox, given that it's a real-time game and most users talk in English. This was over 10 years ago. Through that, alongside getting teached English in school(s), I got a better number on English than my home language (Finnish).

Also games! A lot of console games didn't come with Finnish voice acting, nor subtitles for that matter. The only games I can think of with it were The Sims -franchise...

As a fun-not-fun sidenote, if you prompted me to SPEAK in English, I would die inside a little. Rally English is truly real.
Being chronically online... yes. One of my first experiences of typing English was within Roblox, given that it's a real-time game and most users talk in English. This was over 10 years ago. Through that, alongside getting teached English in school(s), I got a better number on English than my home language (Finnish).

Also games! A lot of console games didn't come with Finnish voice acting, nor subtitles for that matter. The only games I can think of with it were The Sims -franchise...

As a fun-not-fun sidenote, if you prompted me to SPEAK in English, I would die inside a little. Rally English is truly real.
A bottle of Dasani (water)
Please drink water.

Step away if things get heated.
I was born with english, but I know how hard it is to learn it as ur 2nd language. My mom knows a language or 2 besides english.
I was born with english, but I know how hard it is to learn it as ur 2nd language. My mom knows a language or 2 besides english.
1 2 3 4 5