Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tips on how to survive a horror game
1 2 3
How to survive a horror game: Don't play it... simple
mU3UPIq.jpeg
[quote name="Scales25" date="2020-04-21 09:12:47" ] How to survive a horror game: Don't play it... simple [/quote] Oh man thats so funnagjhhghggjbihvjhgvknjbkjgiyh
Scales25 wrote on 2020-04-21 09:12:47:

Oh man thats so funnagjhhghggjbihvjhgvknjbkjgiyh
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
the stupid or inappropriate music thing is just... so good and so fun may i recommend simple and clean?

you can also watch or read interviews with the devs, stuff where they talk about how they made the game, concepts, joking around about the characters and enemies

you can also put on a playthru of somebody else playing the same game, you can listen to while you play so you don't feel alone, or talk to somebody thru mic or something while you play
the stupid or inappropriate music thing is just... so good and so fun may i recommend simple and clean?

you can also watch or read interviews with the devs, stuff where they talk about how they made the game, concepts, joking around about the characters and enemies

you can also put on a playthru of somebody else playing the same game, you can listen to while you play so you don't feel alone, or talk to somebody thru mic or something while you play
BBA05-EC1-29-DC-44-D7-9431-EED8-EB90-BBC6.gif
MIDNIGHT LOOMING, TRAPPED BY DESPERATION TO REMAIN
Calling monsters the dumbest names imaginable is extremely effective. I played Pacify with a friend during Halloween and trust me, calling the main monster “best girl” and “waifu” drastically decreases the spook factor. It actually ruined the atmosphere lmao.

If it’s a singleplayer game, chatting with a friend or doing a screenshare makes you feel much less alone, and you can also joke with them. I really want to play Lost in Vivo at some point, but it’s the scariest game I currently know of, so this is how I’m planning on tackling it.

It also helps to approach the game from a perspective where you want to learn about it or appreciate its artistic merit. There’s a ton of thought that goes into good horror games in terms of visual and audio design, so being scared isn’t so bad when you’re fascinated at the same time.
Calling monsters the dumbest names imaginable is extremely effective. I played Pacify with a friend during Halloween and trust me, calling the main monster “best girl” and “waifu” drastically decreases the spook factor. It actually ruined the atmosphere lmao.

If it’s a singleplayer game, chatting with a friend or doing a screenshare makes you feel much less alone, and you can also joke with them. I really want to play Lost in Vivo at some point, but it’s the scariest game I currently know of, so this is how I’m planning on tackling it.

It also helps to approach the game from a perspective where you want to learn about it or appreciate its artistic merit. There’s a ton of thought that goes into good horror games in terms of visual and audio design, so being scared isn’t so bad when you’re fascinated at the same time.
rIjWU7i.png • rain
• irl creacher
• fr +3
• pls drink water
mm leaf.png oC8BwLW.pngscruffy.png
I don't play horror games, but a tip is when you r scared of something, make it funny.That's what I do all the time.So with this tip you won't end up like this.[emoji=banescale scared size=2]or this,[emoji=bogsneak scared size=2],or this[emoji=coatl scared size=2], or this,[emoji=fae scared size=2],or this,[emoji=gaoler scared size=2], or this,[emoji=guardian scared size=2], or any of this.[emoji=mirror scared size=2][emoji=nocturne scared size=2][emoji=pearlcatcher scared size=2][emoji=ridgeback scared size=2][emoji=snapper scared size=2][emoji=spiral scared size=2][emoji=tundra scared size=2]it might look funny, but it is not.Believe me.
I don't play horror games, but a tip is when you r scared of something, make it funny.That's what I do all the time.So with this tip you won't end up like this.or this,,or this, or this,,or this,, or this,, or any of this.it might look funny, but it is not.Believe me.
i'm the last person to be giving tips seeing as i'm terrified of just about everything that moves (big coward energy) but

i agree with the insult w/someone else and dumb music methods. just ruin the atmosphere, man. scary tv head comes after you? yell at it that the worst thing abt it is the 10-minute ad breaks it plays. only 5-inch screen? terrifying.
similarly, the spongebob meme where the guy runs after them yelling 'CHOCOLATE' would work over a monster chasing you, too. he just really likes chocolate, man.

i personally love looking at what went into a game, too, so i like to watch clips of horror games to see what their makers did- echoing above again. being chased by a grotesque demon in a dark corridor in a diplidated mansion while it roars and makes loud thumping footsteps with a single, tense, high-pitched string playing (or with some deep, resonating drums or like during the chase)... it gets old quickly. how do the devs make it fresh, and what tropes do they carry over from the stereotype anyways? what's the best medium for horror? (VR, duh). how can they keep it unique, keep it a challenge when you inevitably outsmart the beast? or do they not?
i'm the last person to be giving tips seeing as i'm terrified of just about everything that moves (big coward energy) but

i agree with the insult w/someone else and dumb music methods. just ruin the atmosphere, man. scary tv head comes after you? yell at it that the worst thing abt it is the 10-minute ad breaks it plays. only 5-inch screen? terrifying.
similarly, the spongebob meme where the guy runs after them yelling 'CHOCOLATE' would work over a monster chasing you, too. he just really likes chocolate, man.

i personally love looking at what went into a game, too, so i like to watch clips of horror games to see what their makers did- echoing above again. being chased by a grotesque demon in a dark corridor in a diplidated mansion while it roars and makes loud thumping footsteps with a single, tense, high-pitched string playing (or with some deep, resonating drums or like during the chase)... it gets old quickly. how do the devs make it fresh, and what tropes do they carry over from the stereotype anyways? what's the best medium for horror? (VR, duh). how can they keep it unique, keep it a challenge when you inevitably outsmart the beast? or do they not?
[emoji=ridgeback laughing size=2]You will end up like this.[emoji=banescale laughing size=2][emoji=bogsneak laughing size=2][emoji=coatl laughing size=2][emoji=fae laughing size=2][emoji=gaoler laughing size=2][emoji=guardian laughing size=2][emoji=mirror laughing size=2][emoji=nocturne laughing size=2][emoji=pearlcatcher laughing size=2][emoji=snapper laughing size=2][emoji=spiral laughing size=2][emoji=tundra laughing size=2]With this tip, that is what your face will look like
You will end up like this.With this tip, that is what your face will look like
Look up videos of people playing the game. Come up with stupid nicknames for the monsters. FNAF 3 is much less scary when you're watching Markiplier call Springtrap by an alliterative nickname I can't repeat here because it has at least two pieces of profanity.
Look up videos of people playing the game. Come up with stupid nicknames for the monsters. FNAF 3 is much less scary when you're watching Markiplier call Springtrap by an alliterative nickname I can't repeat here because it has at least two pieces of profanity.
tumblr_nknb5ifvlX1s7y9wxo5_100.pngiiadg18.png
Playing elevator music works wonders.

Talking to the monsters helps quite a bit.

Asking them questions helps even more.

If you're playing Fatal Frame, going shiny hunting is also a fun thing to do...most of the time. (And I mean shiny as in 'ooooo, shiny~' Not pokemon shiny.)

Make fun of game mechanics.

Complain to the monsters how they're ruining your night.

I have loads of things I do, man. Mostly because I play Fatal Frame, and that's THE scariest game I have ever seen/played.
Playing elevator music works wonders.

Talking to the monsters helps quite a bit.

Asking them questions helps even more.

If you're playing Fatal Frame, going shiny hunting is also a fun thing to do...most of the time. (And I mean shiny as in 'ooooo, shiny~' Not pokemon shiny.)

Make fun of game mechanics.

Complain to the monsters how they're ruining your night.

I have loads of things I do, man. Mostly because I play Fatal Frame, and that's THE scariest game I have ever seen/played.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
[quote name="SheridanCharon" date="2020-04-21 09:12:41" ] 1) Call them names. Yeah, insulting a monster you're hiding from can be quite cathartic and gets the stress out of your system a bit. Though, it can backfire if that's the moment the monsters decides your entrails look tasty. 2) Imagine them with inappropriate voice And by that, I mean imagine this big hulking monster with this high-pitched squeaky chipmunk voice, making dumb comments while it's looking for you. 3) Have a youtube list of silly music for when the monster turns up. Yakety Sax is my go-to, it always makes chases funny, but any music that makes you happy/giggle is good, too. Though...that could backfire, too. 4) The Guaranteed Method of survival Uninstall the game. Can't get you if you just don't play :P [/quote] I love doing this lol, but the 4th one got me XD
SheridanCharon wrote on 2020-04-21 09:12:41:
1) Call them names.

Yeah, insulting a monster you're hiding from can be quite cathartic and gets the stress out of your system a bit. Though, it can backfire if that's the moment the monsters decides your entrails look tasty.

2) Imagine them with inappropriate voice

And by that, I mean imagine this big hulking monster with this high-pitched squeaky chipmunk voice, making dumb comments while it's looking for you.

3) Have a youtube list of silly music for when the monster turns up.

Yakety Sax is my go-to, it always makes chases funny, but any music that makes you happy/giggle is good, too. Though...that could backfire, too.

4) The Guaranteed Method of survival

Uninstall the game. Can't get you if you just don't play :P

I love doing this lol, but the 4th one got me XD
WJnaXRt.gif 5hF3FGk.png
DxCICZ1.png
OnuhFtt.png FZ9VPbS.png
1 2 3