Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | My computer is finally "done"!
1 2
@Amura

Oh, it's so scary when hard drives go bad, isn't it? Virtually everything else can be replaced, but not data. It's one of the reasons I have multiple hard drives, so Windows can go on one and all my irreplaceable data goes on one or more others. So that drive can just be formatted if necessary and the data is safe on the others. Even so, it did scare me to lose three drives back in the summer! I'm quite surprised I managed to rescue my data without losing any.

It tends to be motherboards that always die on me, and I do seem to go through a lot of graphics cards, too. Kinda hoping that buying higher quality ones will mean they'll last a bit longer this time!

And yeah, it could be that liquid cooling systems are more reliable than they seem. It was just that the first time my husband had one, it lasted only a couple of months before leaking all over everything. I may consider it if adding the extra fans doesn't do what I want, though.

My computer is my baby, but I do make a lot of demands of it between the gaming and the digital art!
@Amura

Oh, it's so scary when hard drives go bad, isn't it? Virtually everything else can be replaced, but not data. It's one of the reasons I have multiple hard drives, so Windows can go on one and all my irreplaceable data goes on one or more others. So that drive can just be formatted if necessary and the data is safe on the others. Even so, it did scare me to lose three drives back in the summer! I'm quite surprised I managed to rescue my data without losing any.

It tends to be motherboards that always die on me, and I do seem to go through a lot of graphics cards, too. Kinda hoping that buying higher quality ones will mean they'll last a bit longer this time!

And yeah, it could be that liquid cooling systems are more reliable than they seem. It was just that the first time my husband had one, it lasted only a couple of months before leaking all over everything. I may consider it if adding the extra fans doesn't do what I want, though.

My computer is my baby, but I do make a lot of demands of it between the gaming and the digital art!
@Ruan as a gamer, even though Wine has gotten really good at handling some windows games, I'd say stick it out with Windows for now. I still use 10 on my desktop because I game.
@Ruan as a gamer, even though Wine has gotten really good at handling some windows games, I'd say stick it out with Windows for now. I still use 10 on my desktop because I game.
yjJhTxB.pngdeepsea_sword.png
@Ruan

Every time I do something important to my computer, I make sure to get a new backup of it. Anything going wonky on a laptop can do chaos with memory, so doing backups come naturally. (Kinda like saving a game. :>)

I have had one motherboard die on me when I was still using a desktop though. THAT was scary. And I'm with you with the graphics cards. I game to, as well as do digital art, so... :x I have killed a few...

If you're going with liquid cooling, just make sure to get a reputable name, and all should be fine. It's pretty rare that they leak, let alone get a second one that does the same thing.
@Ruan

Every time I do something important to my computer, I make sure to get a new backup of it. Anything going wonky on a laptop can do chaos with memory, so doing backups come naturally. (Kinda like saving a game. :>)

I have had one motherboard die on me when I was still using a desktop though. THAT was scary. And I'm with you with the graphics cards. I game to, as well as do digital art, so... :x I have killed a few...

If you're going with liquid cooling, just make sure to get a reputable name, and all should be fine. It's pretty rare that they leak, let alone get a second one that does the same thing.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
1 2