Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36 37
[img]https://i.imgur.com/0UOvPB9.jpg[/img] my loot from Christmas! this is just the bones, the grab bag kuchipatchis gave me also has a lot of rocks and feathers in it
0UOvPB9.jpg

my loot from Christmas! this is just the bones, the grab bag kuchipatchis gave me also has a lot of rocks and feathers in it
These look really good!
These look really good!
dragon_gays_signature_normal.png
I didn't know we had a taxidermy thread here! That's neat~ I've been collecting actively for about 4-5 years now and I've accumulated a bunch of stuff. I started to buy used fox stoles from flea markets when I moved to live on my own and things kind of spiraled out of control from there. Everything here is legal for me to own and I do my best to get my pieces from ethical sources. Most of the items are vintage or were bought second-hand, I think older things have a lot of character to them. [b]Username: [/b]@/CanisAlbus [b]Collection: [/b] -Skulls: Domestic Bactrian camel, alpaca, wild boar, plains zebra, greater kudu, roan antelope, European beaver, cape porcupine, Kamchatka brown bear, river otter, European badger, domestic cat, red-necked wallaby. 2 Eurasian moose, red deer, white-tailed deer, fallow deer, 3 roe deer. 2 coyotes, 4 red foxes, arctic fox, corsac fox, black-backed jackal, 2 raccoon dogs, 2 Dobermans, 2 Greyhounds, German shepherd, Rough Collie, soon getting a Shar Pei. Racka sheep, Jacob sheep, Bluefaced Leicester sheep, Anglo Nubian goat and a couple of sheep I haven't managed to identify. -Pelts: A lot of foxes, 2 coyotes, American badger, Eurasian wolverine, raccoon dog, river otter, 2 minks, 2 pine martens, black-backed jackal, wild boar, springbok, sika deer, white-tailed deer, 2 reindeer, sheep, 4 goats. -Antlers: Mostly European deer species. -Taxidermy: A small goat head mount. -Other: Seashells, feathers, mummified bird feet, European adder skin (shed), a handful of northern pike jaws, a bunch of loose teeth, small fossils and bones. [b]Skills:[/b] I'm still an amateur, but I've degreased, whitened and repaired skulls before. I've also read a lot about wildlife and importation laws in Finland and European Union because of this hobby, maybe that counts as a skill. [b]Dream pieces:[/b] I'm searching for a wolf pelt and a skull, but they're strictly protected in Finland and getting one legally is tricky. A Borzoi skull is a holy grail I haven't managed to find yet, and I'm hoping that someday I'll come across a spotted hyena skull that's within the limits of my budget. [b]Do you mind being pinged?:[/b] Not at all. Some photos, if you don't mind: [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/84e83aed4002a79721ee94edc2afda7a/tumblr_om1eq3mnJJ1r7bfg9o1_1280.png[/img] My first sheep skull. [img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/707a8983090d1fe08a2d58258d51944a/tumblr_oum3stSxLL1r7bfg9o1_1280.png[/img] A jackal, raccoon dogs and foxes. [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPZcQAfWkAAjaPX.jpg[/img] Kamchatka brown bear. This one is at least half a century old. It reeked of grease and decades of chain smoking when I got it. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/ec9eb499c95c667e48098c8af7b2579c/tumblr_of2vwsvklH1r7bfg9o1_1280.png[/img] Finnish wolverine skin on a reindeer hide. This is almost 70 years old and well preserved for it's age. [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPt03DNW0AAtIOG.jpg[/img] Ukrainian goat skull. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/4c63f80af0511252e9855c3acb8b32cf/tumblr_nyucw06LHB1r7bfg9o3_r1_1280.png[/img] Estonian wild boar. Incredibly bristly fur. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/5d93565ea9617e3c214158da9620801f/tumblr_os7j6sAdXO1r7bfg9o1_1280.png[/img] Finnish moose. This skull is almost as long as my arm and very heavy. [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/bc84e8feabbf87482b137778e4501fde/tumblr_n891w0CLik1r7bfg9o7_1280.png[/img] One of my favorite foxes. [img]https://78.media.tumblr.com/656e5eac8bfbea6513efff807ae730c5/tumblr_opoi8ddoLA1r7bfg9o1_1280.png[/img] Chronically running out of shelf space. Sorry for such a long post! It's just that talking about these things gets me really thrilled and you don't come across other taxidermy enthusiasts that often :'> And please notify me if anything violates your guidelines.
I didn't know we had a taxidermy thread here! That's neat~
I've been collecting actively for about 4-5 years now and I've accumulated a bunch of stuff. I started to buy used fox stoles from flea markets when I moved to live on my own and things kind of spiraled out of control from there.
Everything here is legal for me to own and I do my best to get my pieces from ethical sources. Most of the items are vintage or were bought second-hand, I think older things have a lot of character to them.

Username: @/CanisAlbus

Collection:

-Skulls: Domestic Bactrian camel, alpaca, wild boar, plains zebra, greater kudu, roan antelope, European beaver, cape porcupine, Kamchatka brown bear, river otter, European badger, domestic cat, red-necked wallaby.
2 Eurasian moose, red deer, white-tailed deer, fallow deer, 3 roe deer.
2 coyotes, 4 red foxes, arctic fox, corsac fox, black-backed jackal, 2 raccoon dogs, 2 Dobermans, 2 Greyhounds, German shepherd, Rough Collie, soon getting a Shar Pei.
Racka sheep, Jacob sheep, Bluefaced Leicester sheep, Anglo Nubian goat and a couple of sheep I haven't managed to identify.

-Pelts: A lot of foxes, 2 coyotes, American badger, Eurasian wolverine, raccoon dog, river otter, 2 minks, 2 pine martens, black-backed jackal, wild boar, springbok, sika deer, white-tailed deer, 2 reindeer, sheep, 4 goats.

-Antlers: Mostly European deer species.

-Taxidermy: A small goat head mount.

-Other: Seashells, feathers, mummified bird feet, European adder skin (shed), a handful of northern pike jaws, a bunch of loose teeth, small fossils and bones.

Skills: I'm still an amateur, but I've degreased, whitened and repaired skulls before. I've also read a lot about wildlife and importation laws in Finland and European Union because of this hobby, maybe that counts as a skill.

Dream pieces: I'm searching for a wolf pelt and a skull, but they're strictly protected in Finland and getting one legally is tricky. A Borzoi skull is a holy grail I haven't managed to find yet, and I'm hoping that someday I'll come across a spotted hyena skull that's within the limits of my budget.

Do you mind being pinged?: Not at all.

Some photos, if you don't mind:

tumblr_om1eq3mnJJ1r7bfg9o1_1280.png
My first sheep skull.

tumblr_oum3stSxLL1r7bfg9o1_1280.png
A jackal, raccoon dogs and foxes.

DPZcQAfWkAAjaPX.jpg
Kamchatka brown bear. This one is at least half a century old. It reeked of grease and decades of chain smoking when I got it.

tumblr_of2vwsvklH1r7bfg9o1_1280.png
Finnish wolverine skin on a reindeer hide. This is almost 70 years old and well preserved for it's age.

DPt03DNW0AAtIOG.jpg
Ukrainian goat skull.

tumblr_nyucw06LHB1r7bfg9o3_r1_1280.png
Estonian wild boar. Incredibly bristly fur.

tumblr_os7j6sAdXO1r7bfg9o1_1280.png
Finnish moose. This skull is almost as long as my arm and very heavy.

tumblr_n891w0CLik1r7bfg9o7_1280.png
One of my favorite foxes.

tumblr_opoi8ddoLA1r7bfg9o1_1280.png
Chronically running out of shelf space.

Sorry for such a long post! It's just that talking about these things gets me really thrilled and you don't come across other taxidermy enthusiasts that often :'> And please notify me if anything violates your guidelines.
wildclawbanner_by_canisalbus-d9p9e5l.png
That's such a nice collection, I really love the moose and fox!
That's such a nice collection, I really love the moose and fox!
dragon_gays_signature_normal.png
@SwampQween Thank you! `v´ The moose has been looking pretty festive as of late. [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/77c7c1fd76ef9f6aaaf04ca4b63e3890/tumblr_p00yc4qwn01r7bfg9o1_500.png[/img]
@SwampQween Thank you! `v´

The moose has been looking pretty festive as of late.

tumblr_p00yc4qwn01r7bfg9o1_500.png
@CanisAlbus

Your collection is straight up breath takingt! No need to apologize for a long post, browsing though it was amazing! The boar and wolverine pelts were super impressive, but wow I love that bear skull. Also adore the light up moose, dressing up dead things is always fun lol
@CanisAlbus

Your collection is straight up breath takingt! No need to apologize for a long post, browsing though it was amazing! The boar and wolverine pelts were super impressive, but wow I love that bear skull. Also adore the light up moose, dressing up dead things is always fun lol
@LizardKing Aaw thanks! That's so nice of you :>

I feel like I've been very lucky and have stumbled upon a lot of nifty skulls and good deals, but there's still some things I'd like to get before I can consider my collection complete in any way. North American species in particular are very hard to obtain.
@LizardKing Aaw thanks! That's so nice of you :>

I feel like I've been very lucky and have stumbled upon a lot of nifty skulls and good deals, but there's still some things I'd like to get before I can consider my collection complete in any way. North American species in particular are very hard to obtain.
Hi guys I hope I'm not too 'inexperienced' for this group ovo

Username: @/Gannet
Collection: A fox skull, various feathers and a few trinkets made from fur (do those even count?)
Skills: Uhh I can identify animals pretty well (it's pretty useful with identifying feathers)
Dream piece(s): A mounted bird would be great....
Do you mind being pinged?: Not at all!
Hi guys I hope I'm not too 'inexperienced' for this group ovo

Username: @/Gannet
Collection: A fox skull, various feathers and a few trinkets made from fur (do those even count?)
Skills: Uhh I can identify animals pretty well (it's pretty useful with identifying feathers)
Dream piece(s): A mounted bird would be great....
Do you mind being pinged?: Not at all!
@CanisAlbus - Oh gosh what an amazing collection you have?? If you don't mind me asking, where do you recommend buying skulls and such/where have you found yours?

Username: @/SirAlastair

Collection:

Antlers/horns: white-tailed deer antler, 2 other deer antlers (unknown species), ram horn, 7 steer horns

Taxidermy: deer head, wigeon duck, duckling, pheasant, blackbuck head, pronghorn head, caribou head, and coyote

Skulls: coyote, white-tailed deer, 2 black bear, nutria, palm civet, vervet monkey, Nile crocodile, pronghorn, bat

Misc.: 2 white-tailed deer bones, coyote tail. fox tail, small turtle in lucite, 2 butterflies (rhetenor blue morpho and malachite), 2 moths (sunset and copiopteryx jehovah)

Skills: None I guess? I haven't cleaned any skulls, mounted anything, etc. myself before.

Dream piece(s): Nothing particularly stands out, but I suppose the next skull on my list would be some sort of bird skull since I don't have one yet. But if I were to list out everything I want it would take wayyy too long.

Do you mind being pinged?: No
@CanisAlbus - Oh gosh what an amazing collection you have?? If you don't mind me asking, where do you recommend buying skulls and such/where have you found yours?

Username: @/SirAlastair

Collection:

Antlers/horns: white-tailed deer antler, 2 other deer antlers (unknown species), ram horn, 7 steer horns

Taxidermy: deer head, wigeon duck, duckling, pheasant, blackbuck head, pronghorn head, caribou head, and coyote

Skulls: coyote, white-tailed deer, 2 black bear, nutria, palm civet, vervet monkey, Nile crocodile, pronghorn, bat

Misc.: 2 white-tailed deer bones, coyote tail. fox tail, small turtle in lucite, 2 butterflies (rhetenor blue morpho and malachite), 2 moths (sunset and copiopteryx jehovah)

Skills: None I guess? I haven't cleaned any skulls, mounted anything, etc. myself before.

Dream piece(s): Nothing particularly stands out, but I suppose the next skull on my list would be some sort of bird skull since I don't have one yet. But if I were to list out everything I want it would take wayyy too long.

Do you mind being pinged?: No
Can't believe I haven't checked this thread out yet. :o

I'm a very, very amateur collector of fossils and animal bones, though my parents (who I currently live with) aren't comfortable with me buying / preserving anything more "morbid" than that. And my collection as-is is really small, but I love it all anyway!

Don't have any pictures and the light's pretty crap to get any right now, but I have an ammonite, a small orthoceras I've had for... probably over a decade now, a huge and beautiful orthoceras I got as a Christmas present this year, and a shark tooth. <3

I'd love to try out scavenging, cleaning and preserving my own skulls once I move out.

I'm not so into furs or taxidermy, though. I'd just get so worried about damaging them, and my respect for the animals and their remains comes before anything else. I'd never forgive myself if I damaged a pelt by accident, or taxidermied something badly. I do love seeing other peoples' work, though! Just don't bring them near me. I'm a master of accidental destruction. :')

My dream piece right now is really modest. I'd love to get any sort of mid-size mammal skull, especially a non-domestic canine.

Well okay, my Big dream right now is to get a wolf skull. But I'd be really picky about where I got something like that from, since I'm very against hunting unless it's for food or controlling severe overpopulation, and far as I'm aware wolves aren't commonly hunted for either. I'd love to get a scavenged skull above all, but idk how hard that is. I never really looked into it yet, since it'd just be a tease!
Can't believe I haven't checked this thread out yet. :o

I'm a very, very amateur collector of fossils and animal bones, though my parents (who I currently live with) aren't comfortable with me buying / preserving anything more "morbid" than that. And my collection as-is is really small, but I love it all anyway!

Don't have any pictures and the light's pretty crap to get any right now, but I have an ammonite, a small orthoceras I've had for... probably over a decade now, a huge and beautiful orthoceras I got as a Christmas present this year, and a shark tooth. <3

I'd love to try out scavenging, cleaning and preserving my own skulls once I move out.

I'm not so into furs or taxidermy, though. I'd just get so worried about damaging them, and my respect for the animals and their remains comes before anything else. I'd never forgive myself if I damaged a pelt by accident, or taxidermied something badly. I do love seeing other peoples' work, though! Just don't bring them near me. I'm a master of accidental destruction. :')

My dream piece right now is really modest. I'd love to get any sort of mid-size mammal skull, especially a non-domestic canine.

Well okay, my Big dream right now is to get a wolf skull. But I'd be really picky about where I got something like that from, since I'm very against hunting unless it's for food or controlling severe overpopulation, and far as I'm aware wolves aren't commonly hunted for either. I'd love to get a scavenged skull above all, but idk how hard that is. I never really looked into it yet, since it'd just be a tease!
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36 37