Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Exotic Pets Anyone?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Seppalai
Ah thanks! Aha I did a lot of research before buying her.

I think she's around maybe a month, going on two months?
I keep her in this
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/plastic-faunarium-tanks.html
She's got the "standard small" for now, and I've made sure she has been eating *RIP crane flies*

@Seppalai
Ah thanks! Aha I did a lot of research before buying her.

I think she's around maybe a month, going on two months?
I keep her in this
http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/plastic-faunarium-tanks.html
She's got the "standard small" for now, and I've made sure she has been eating *RIP crane flies*

RG3SXKP.png
@SterlingKat
I'm glad you're enjoying her so far! Great pets come in all shapes and sizes ^^
I just got my opossum a ferret bed that dangles from the top of the cage and I didn't realize how huge it'd be. I guess its like he has a second story to explore now! It takes up about a fourth of his enclosure, but luckily its up high so its not in the way. Opossums are climbers, so Im very certain he's going to enjoy it when he comes out to play again!
@SterlingKat
I'm glad you're enjoying her so far! Great pets come in all shapes and sizes ^^
I just got my opossum a ferret bed that dangles from the top of the cage and I didn't realize how huge it'd be. I guess its like he has a second story to explore now! It takes up about a fourth of his enclosure, but luckily its up high so its not in the way. Opossums are climbers, so Im very certain he's going to enjoy it when he comes out to play again!
@Seppalai

I personally just breed, and oversee their health until they are independent from their parents, then they are moved to an aviary that has a program dedicated to trying to integrate them into the wild. Some of the birds have the capability to survive and are released with trackers, others just become too reliant on us and end up in long-term aviaries, or cycle back into our hatchery to breed. It's a very hit-and-miss program, but there is definitely some success!

Don't get me wrong, I don't... disagree with exotic pets, but I don't necessarily agree with it. As you mentioned, it really, really depends on the owner. I've heard of too many stories of people who take in these exotic animals because "oh whoa, it'd be really cool to own a wolf!", and then the wolf ends up being put down, or in a rescue because the owner just couldn't handle them.

I agree with you in the sense that the general public shouldn't own wild animals. :P
But, there are some people that definitely deserve, and take care of these animals amazingly, however, and I really admire that!

The boarding house is really interesting~ I'm sure there are others out there, but I don't think they are popular in the same sense that sanctuaries might be (I don't think there is a much demand for a boarding house for exotics).

The boarding house isn't open to the public, which I appreciate, I only happen to know about it because the owner was holding a couple of birds for us, and I was the one who had to go pick them up. I just happened to talk to the owner for awhile, and he said I was welcome to visit if it looks like they aren't too busy.

Most of the staff consists of professionals who have experience in zoos, and sanctuaries, and other similar backgrounds. They really know how to deal with the animals, and everything that goes into their temporary care.

They were actually holding the Sulcata Tortoises to breed them and over see the young for the owner, I'm really intrigued by the services they provide. As far as I can tell, they don't hold big cats, purebred wolves, or large predators in general. I'm pretty sure they don't shy away from large animals, though, I think they've had reindeer and elk boarded there.

Next time I visit, I'll have to see if I'm allowed to take pictures, and if so, I'll have to post them to the forums. :,D (especially those coatimundis, I love those little weirdos).
@Seppalai

I personally just breed, and oversee their health until they are independent from their parents, then they are moved to an aviary that has a program dedicated to trying to integrate them into the wild. Some of the birds have the capability to survive and are released with trackers, others just become too reliant on us and end up in long-term aviaries, or cycle back into our hatchery to breed. It's a very hit-and-miss program, but there is definitely some success!

Don't get me wrong, I don't... disagree with exotic pets, but I don't necessarily agree with it. As you mentioned, it really, really depends on the owner. I've heard of too many stories of people who take in these exotic animals because "oh whoa, it'd be really cool to own a wolf!", and then the wolf ends up being put down, or in a rescue because the owner just couldn't handle them.

I agree with you in the sense that the general public shouldn't own wild animals. :P
But, there are some people that definitely deserve, and take care of these animals amazingly, however, and I really admire that!

The boarding house is really interesting~ I'm sure there are others out there, but I don't think they are popular in the same sense that sanctuaries might be (I don't think there is a much demand for a boarding house for exotics).

The boarding house isn't open to the public, which I appreciate, I only happen to know about it because the owner was holding a couple of birds for us, and I was the one who had to go pick them up. I just happened to talk to the owner for awhile, and he said I was welcome to visit if it looks like they aren't too busy.

Most of the staff consists of professionals who have experience in zoos, and sanctuaries, and other similar backgrounds. They really know how to deal with the animals, and everything that goes into their temporary care.

They were actually holding the Sulcata Tortoises to breed them and over see the young for the owner, I'm really intrigued by the services they provide. As far as I can tell, they don't hold big cats, purebred wolves, or large predators in general. I'm pretty sure they don't shy away from large animals, though, I think they've had reindeer and elk boarded there.

Next time I visit, I'll have to see if I'm allowed to take pictures, and if so, I'll have to post them to the forums. :,D (especially those coatimundis, I love those little weirdos).
Please do not ping me randomly.
Feel free to inquire about any nests, though.
Late reply but thank you so much @Akirafay and @Seppalai , he loved the compliments! People often do mistaken him for an Am Eskie too--they look identical, but J. Spitz have one size where AEs have three, and I think Eskies have a little bit of a wider snout than the needlesnoot of the Japanese Spitz (his is so narrow he can stick half his face through really small holes) Again I'm not sure if ARBA breeds count as exotic since he's still domestic, but it took a lot of work/being forgotten by breeders before I found one within driving distance (a 5 hour drive one-way). I'm still good friends with the family, so it worked out!

With anything more difficult to obtain (hell even my columbiformes are harder to find from a reputable breeder, but once in a while Petland has the white mutation, but still..) it takes a lot of research and phone calls!
Late reply but thank you so much @Akirafay and @Seppalai , he loved the compliments! People often do mistaken him for an Am Eskie too--they look identical, but J. Spitz have one size where AEs have three, and I think Eskies have a little bit of a wider snout than the needlesnoot of the Japanese Spitz (his is so narrow he can stick half his face through really small holes) Again I'm not sure if ARBA breeds count as exotic since he's still domestic, but it took a lot of work/being forgotten by breeders before I found one within driving distance (a 5 hour drive one-way). I'm still good friends with the family, so it worked out!

With anything more difficult to obtain (hell even my columbiformes are harder to find from a reputable breeder, but once in a while Petland has the white mutation, but still..) it takes a lot of research and phone calls!
TpO8tYR.png912ee11232d0_kamikaze1.pngDgJuZtv.pngDmRdZYl.png
@AstroNot

It sounds amazing to get to be a part of that experience! What kind of requirements or degrees do you think are needed to work places like a hatchery or rehabilitation center? What skills do you think would be most suitable for someone looking into this field? Is it a full time thing, or would a second job be important? Right now I'm learning computer stuff at my school, but I've always been interested in wildlife and conservation. I'm not too sure I want to spend my days coding in an office, and I have a HUGE background in raising awareness for species. I have really awesome photography skills and knowledge about editing programs as well. I'm not sure if you'd see that as important for the field.

And I agree with what you were saying about wolves/wolfdogs having to be put down. Its definitely an issue that unfortunately too many of these animals face. Mislabeling animals can also lead to them being euthanized as well, even if they don't even have wolf in them. On top of that, when people do have animals that behave really well, believing that its a wolfdog, they'll go around telling others how great the animal is and how easy it is to care for, which can lead someone to purchase a real wolfdog under the impression its going to behave. And then, back to what you were saying, they may end up getting euthanized because theyre "too much" to handle.

Something really interesting you may want to know is that having purebred gray wolves in captivity is actually a lot more rare than people think. Most zoo wolves are actually higher content wolfdogs. The one exception being mexican gray wolves, which are highly protected and regulated by the U.S. government. More pure gray wolves kept in captivity usually have ancestry that links back to fur farms (unfortunately). I can't speak for Eurasian wolves or red wolves, as I haven't studied either of those species of wolf. Gray wolves cover a wide variety of subspecies like the Arctic Wolf and Eastern Timber wolf as just some examples.
@AstroNot

It sounds amazing to get to be a part of that experience! What kind of requirements or degrees do you think are needed to work places like a hatchery or rehabilitation center? What skills do you think would be most suitable for someone looking into this field? Is it a full time thing, or would a second job be important? Right now I'm learning computer stuff at my school, but I've always been interested in wildlife and conservation. I'm not too sure I want to spend my days coding in an office, and I have a HUGE background in raising awareness for species. I have really awesome photography skills and knowledge about editing programs as well. I'm not sure if you'd see that as important for the field.

And I agree with what you were saying about wolves/wolfdogs having to be put down. Its definitely an issue that unfortunately too many of these animals face. Mislabeling animals can also lead to them being euthanized as well, even if they don't even have wolf in them. On top of that, when people do have animals that behave really well, believing that its a wolfdog, they'll go around telling others how great the animal is and how easy it is to care for, which can lead someone to purchase a real wolfdog under the impression its going to behave. And then, back to what you were saying, they may end up getting euthanized because theyre "too much" to handle.

Something really interesting you may want to know is that having purebred gray wolves in captivity is actually a lot more rare than people think. Most zoo wolves are actually higher content wolfdogs. The one exception being mexican gray wolves, which are highly protected and regulated by the U.S. government. More pure gray wolves kept in captivity usually have ancestry that links back to fur farms (unfortunately). I can't speak for Eurasian wolves or red wolves, as I haven't studied either of those species of wolf. Gray wolves cover a wide variety of subspecies like the Arctic Wolf and Eastern Timber wolf as just some examples.
I don't know if this counts, but I once had a pet possum. I rescued him as a baby from my dog would would have played with him to death. We were inseparable for the four months he was with us before he wondered off into the wild.
I don't know if this counts, but I once had a pet possum. I rescued him as a baby from my dog would would have played with him to death. We were inseparable for the four months he was with us before he wondered off into the wild.
Hugs? Hugs!
37132792_350.png
@Seppalai
I could be wrong, but the requirements vary from rehab center, to rehab center (since so many offer different programs that may or may not require degrees or experience), and it heavily depends on the position you're interested in.

We personally have some member who have no degrees, they started at volunteers who were eventually hired on when we needed them. It was easier to just hire someone who knew everything about what we were doing verses hiring someone who may have an biology degree, but has no hands-on experience. We would never hire someone to be a vet with no degree, however, lol.

That being said, some rehab centers look for people biology / ecology degrees, knowledge of the species they are working with, animal behavior, the environment their species live in, species that may interact with the species you work with, etc etc. Best thing to do is find a rehab center you're interested in working with, and research them, find what they look for in an employee, and a job position you'd like to strive for.

The hatchery I work for is a different experience from the rehab center. We function a lot like a store.... sorta. We have a storefront that displays retired breeders of species that we offer, and people "purchase" their bird as an egg, and it's given to them when it has bonded to their new owner, and is no longer dependent on their parent (or the person who hand-fed them, assuming the parents rejected their hatchlings). Since we partially function like a store, we hire people with no experience at all with animals to maintain that aspect of it, while people with degrees or prior experience are more likely to work in the hatchery itself.

Personally, I was hired as a college student, all I did was clean out cages and handle the birds out front, once I finished college I was promoted to be a veterinarian for the hatchery. On top of being an avian vet, I also have a degree in animal behavior (minor) ornithology (major), and biology (minor).

To answer your question about whether it's a full time job, sometimes, sometimes you'll need a secondary job. It really depends on the rehab center / hatchery you would work for, and what job you do, it can pay pretty well if you are given the right job. Your background as a volunteer will likely give you a leg up over other candidates. I'm not sure if your photography and editing skills will. One place in particular that I think will appreciate that sort of thing would be Big Cat Rescue in Florida, since they like to do a lot of youtube videos and such to raise awareness about their rescue. If the place you're interested on has a similar public outreach, or if they have an interest in social media, then possibly?

I would also like to say, I'm not entirely familiar with our rehab center, I'm mostly in the hatchery. My interactions with them is if I happen to be pegged to pick up / drop off birds, or if their is an emergency that I need to end to quickly (there is a separate vet over there, so usually they don't call me).

I've heard a lot about that mislabeling thing. Some dogs who broke out of their backyards being shot by neighbors who mistook them as wolves. :/ If only we could give the world a seminar on the difference between wolves / wolfdogs / and wolf-looking dogs.

Also, I'd like to admit that once upon a time, when I was about 8 my neighbor told me they owned a 'wolf hybrid', and I thought that was the coolest thing, and I determined I was gonna own one when I was an adult. Thankfully, I outgrew the notion that I wanted a dog (I'm a bird person, if you couldn't tell, lmao) and now I'm ~relatively~ educated on wolfdogs. Educated enough to know "wolf hybrid" isn't really a thing, and my neighbor probably owned a Malamute / German Shepard / Chow Chow mix.

Also, that is really interesting to know! I would have never guessed. I'm not entirely familiar with wolves a whole. I only know a few things, I just know that they are definitely harder to breed to a dog than what people think they are, and I also know that wolves don't actually form packs! They live in "families" in the wild, no such thing as an alpha wolf :,D

(this is so long, I'm sorry, I love talking about animals, lmao)

@Seppalai
I could be wrong, but the requirements vary from rehab center, to rehab center (since so many offer different programs that may or may not require degrees or experience), and it heavily depends on the position you're interested in.

We personally have some member who have no degrees, they started at volunteers who were eventually hired on when we needed them. It was easier to just hire someone who knew everything about what we were doing verses hiring someone who may have an biology degree, but has no hands-on experience. We would never hire someone to be a vet with no degree, however, lol.

That being said, some rehab centers look for people biology / ecology degrees, knowledge of the species they are working with, animal behavior, the environment their species live in, species that may interact with the species you work with, etc etc. Best thing to do is find a rehab center you're interested in working with, and research them, find what they look for in an employee, and a job position you'd like to strive for.

The hatchery I work for is a different experience from the rehab center. We function a lot like a store.... sorta. We have a storefront that displays retired breeders of species that we offer, and people "purchase" their bird as an egg, and it's given to them when it has bonded to their new owner, and is no longer dependent on their parent (or the person who hand-fed them, assuming the parents rejected their hatchlings). Since we partially function like a store, we hire people with no experience at all with animals to maintain that aspect of it, while people with degrees or prior experience are more likely to work in the hatchery itself.

Personally, I was hired as a college student, all I did was clean out cages and handle the birds out front, once I finished college I was promoted to be a veterinarian for the hatchery. On top of being an avian vet, I also have a degree in animal behavior (minor) ornithology (major), and biology (minor).

To answer your question about whether it's a full time job, sometimes, sometimes you'll need a secondary job. It really depends on the rehab center / hatchery you would work for, and what job you do, it can pay pretty well if you are given the right job. Your background as a volunteer will likely give you a leg up over other candidates. I'm not sure if your photography and editing skills will. One place in particular that I think will appreciate that sort of thing would be Big Cat Rescue in Florida, since they like to do a lot of youtube videos and such to raise awareness about their rescue. If the place you're interested on has a similar public outreach, or if they have an interest in social media, then possibly?

I would also like to say, I'm not entirely familiar with our rehab center, I'm mostly in the hatchery. My interactions with them is if I happen to be pegged to pick up / drop off birds, or if their is an emergency that I need to end to quickly (there is a separate vet over there, so usually they don't call me).

I've heard a lot about that mislabeling thing. Some dogs who broke out of their backyards being shot by neighbors who mistook them as wolves. :/ If only we could give the world a seminar on the difference between wolves / wolfdogs / and wolf-looking dogs.

Also, I'd like to admit that once upon a time, when I was about 8 my neighbor told me they owned a 'wolf hybrid', and I thought that was the coolest thing, and I determined I was gonna own one when I was an adult. Thankfully, I outgrew the notion that I wanted a dog (I'm a bird person, if you couldn't tell, lmao) and now I'm ~relatively~ educated on wolfdogs. Educated enough to know "wolf hybrid" isn't really a thing, and my neighbor probably owned a Malamute / German Shepard / Chow Chow mix.

Also, that is really interesting to know! I would have never guessed. I'm not entirely familiar with wolves a whole. I only know a few things, I just know that they are definitely harder to breed to a dog than what people think they are, and I also know that wolves don't actually form packs! They live in "families" in the wild, no such thing as an alpha wolf :,D

(this is so long, I'm sorry, I love talking about animals, lmao)

Please do not ping me randomly.
Feel free to inquire about any nests, though.
@AstroNot
Thank you so much! This is a huge help. I'm currently in the process of figuring out a majour I want to switch to. I was thinking biology would be a good one, looking at current job listings online of requirements. I've also always been incredibly interested in animal behaviour, and I like to spend a lot of time just doing online research of it. Would be really cool if I could take a class on it as well.

As for wolves being harder to breed with dogs, I don't have personal experience in that field, as the people I know who own wolves and wolfdogs only breed wolves to wolves and wolfdogs to wolfdogs. I can imagine it's difficult to get an F1 cross because wolves breed only in the winter, where as female dogs can breed twice a year. I believe you'd have to get everything aligned just right in order to get a true (pure) wolf x (pure) dog. I've seen some pictures of their offspring online, and gosh, they are a stunning mix, most of which (that I've seen) don't look like dogs or wolves, but an absolute cross between the two.

And its true that wolves don't form packs! (Though something similar happens in rare occasions which I will explain in just a moment.) Wolf packs are usually made up of a breeding pair, which were formerly called the "alpha" pair. I think there's nothing wrong with calling a wolf an alpha, as usually the most dominant wolves are the breeding pair. However, you reach a difference between the two when the dominant wolf or pair isn't the breeding pair. (Such as in captivity where you may have an "alpha" who doesn't have a mate, or its mate can't produce offspring.)
Most packs are composed of a breeding pair and their offspring which are likely subordinates due to their lack of experience. Among the pack, there is usually a heirarchy of the most dominant wolf to the least dominant wolf. Some offspring may choose to stay with the pack, and most tend to go off and seek a mate.
I think one of the most common misunderstandings about this hierarchy falls on what an "omega" wolf is. Omegas are usually less dominant, but these individuals serve one of the most important roles in a pack. (I think you could also argue that an omega isn't present in every pack.) They are peacekeepers, and serve to eliminate tension between existing pack members. Sometimes they get picked on as well. In an incredibly example, at the wolf center I volunteered at, there was this female omega wolf. Her brother, the "alpha", was guarding an entire carcass and not allowing her or her father to eat. She ended up nipping her brothers flank to rile him up and running off, which led to him trying to chase her down and assert his dominance. This gave the father wolf time to go in and snag some food from the carcass before the "alpha" came back.
Wolves are very social, and unlike dogs, they are open to challenging eachother without it affecting their relationship to one another. Dogs prefer a strict order where there is an alpha, which is usually the human. The dog wants to please and doesn't want to get in trouble. A dog prefers to understand its place. Wolves are more open to debate. Kind of like saying "Hey I think I'd be better at being the leader." and if they win, the former dominant wolf is just kind of like, "Okay, you're right. I understand." and they go back to being friends. There's a popular saying that goes something like "You can train a tiger or lion, but you will never see a wolf preforming at a circus." and this is because wolves don't live to please & don't respond to fear training, where as you could punish a lion, tiger, or dog and either through fear or willingness to please and they will learn to get things right so they don't get in trouble. Wolves live as individuals, and they're always open to debate one another. (This is why when you own a wolf or wolfdog, they likely won't respond to training. And if they do, they'll only sit if they want to and such, not to please you. Dogs are much easier to own because they want to make you happy.)
Bouncing back to the idea of wolves "forming packs," occasionally it does happen, but its definitely not common, and its not permanent either. An example would be in Yellowstone where this wolf referred to as "Casanova" gathered up some lone male wolves as a "pack" to go seek out female wolves from the Druid Peak Pack after the dominant wolf passed away from old age. When they chose their mates, the pack split into various breeding pairs who established their own territories and started their own packs. Casanova actually attempted to get a mate from the pack years beforehand, but the "alpha" wolf (named Twenty-One) didn't allow him to have any of his daughters. Wolves will usually kill others who go on their territories, but Twenty-One chose to never kill another wolf, despite always winning fights. (Him not killing the wolf proved important later on because Casanova rounded up those male lone wolves and Twenty-one's daughters and helped form new packs that way. It allowed his genes to be passed on.) The entire story of Twenty-One of the Druid Peak Pack is interesting as heck and gives a new perspective into wolf behaviour and how socially complex they are. Another way packs can form is when two wolves meet to become mates. Thats how most packs typically start. Its rarely a bunch of loners meeting up. Packs have also been known to accept packless wolves into their pack on occasion. For example, Twenty-One actually worked his way into the Druid Peak Pack after the former alpha of that pack was killed.

Anyway, that was an incredibly long post. I hope its not too confusing and gives some insight into what you know and maybe a few new things you didn't!
@AstroNot
Thank you so much! This is a huge help. I'm currently in the process of figuring out a majour I want to switch to. I was thinking biology would be a good one, looking at current job listings online of requirements. I've also always been incredibly interested in animal behaviour, and I like to spend a lot of time just doing online research of it. Would be really cool if I could take a class on it as well.

As for wolves being harder to breed with dogs, I don't have personal experience in that field, as the people I know who own wolves and wolfdogs only breed wolves to wolves and wolfdogs to wolfdogs. I can imagine it's difficult to get an F1 cross because wolves breed only in the winter, where as female dogs can breed twice a year. I believe you'd have to get everything aligned just right in order to get a true (pure) wolf x (pure) dog. I've seen some pictures of their offspring online, and gosh, they are a stunning mix, most of which (that I've seen) don't look like dogs or wolves, but an absolute cross between the two.

And its true that wolves don't form packs! (Though something similar happens in rare occasions which I will explain in just a moment.) Wolf packs are usually made up of a breeding pair, which were formerly called the "alpha" pair. I think there's nothing wrong with calling a wolf an alpha, as usually the most dominant wolves are the breeding pair. However, you reach a difference between the two when the dominant wolf or pair isn't the breeding pair. (Such as in captivity where you may have an "alpha" who doesn't have a mate, or its mate can't produce offspring.)
Most packs are composed of a breeding pair and their offspring which are likely subordinates due to their lack of experience. Among the pack, there is usually a heirarchy of the most dominant wolf to the least dominant wolf. Some offspring may choose to stay with the pack, and most tend to go off and seek a mate.
I think one of the most common misunderstandings about this hierarchy falls on what an "omega" wolf is. Omegas are usually less dominant, but these individuals serve one of the most important roles in a pack. (I think you could also argue that an omega isn't present in every pack.) They are peacekeepers, and serve to eliminate tension between existing pack members. Sometimes they get picked on as well. In an incredibly example, at the wolf center I volunteered at, there was this female omega wolf. Her brother, the "alpha", was guarding an entire carcass and not allowing her or her father to eat. She ended up nipping her brothers flank to rile him up and running off, which led to him trying to chase her down and assert his dominance. This gave the father wolf time to go in and snag some food from the carcass before the "alpha" came back.
Wolves are very social, and unlike dogs, they are open to challenging eachother without it affecting their relationship to one another. Dogs prefer a strict order where there is an alpha, which is usually the human. The dog wants to please and doesn't want to get in trouble. A dog prefers to understand its place. Wolves are more open to debate. Kind of like saying "Hey I think I'd be better at being the leader." and if they win, the former dominant wolf is just kind of like, "Okay, you're right. I understand." and they go back to being friends. There's a popular saying that goes something like "You can train a tiger or lion, but you will never see a wolf preforming at a circus." and this is because wolves don't live to please & don't respond to fear training, where as you could punish a lion, tiger, or dog and either through fear or willingness to please and they will learn to get things right so they don't get in trouble. Wolves live as individuals, and they're always open to debate one another. (This is why when you own a wolf or wolfdog, they likely won't respond to training. And if they do, they'll only sit if they want to and such, not to please you. Dogs are much easier to own because they want to make you happy.)
Bouncing back to the idea of wolves "forming packs," occasionally it does happen, but its definitely not common, and its not permanent either. An example would be in Yellowstone where this wolf referred to as "Casanova" gathered up some lone male wolves as a "pack" to go seek out female wolves from the Druid Peak Pack after the dominant wolf passed away from old age. When they chose their mates, the pack split into various breeding pairs who established their own territories and started their own packs. Casanova actually attempted to get a mate from the pack years beforehand, but the "alpha" wolf (named Twenty-One) didn't allow him to have any of his daughters. Wolves will usually kill others who go on their territories, but Twenty-One chose to never kill another wolf, despite always winning fights. (Him not killing the wolf proved important later on because Casanova rounded up those male lone wolves and Twenty-one's daughters and helped form new packs that way. It allowed his genes to be passed on.) The entire story of Twenty-One of the Druid Peak Pack is interesting as heck and gives a new perspective into wolf behaviour and how socially complex they are. Another way packs can form is when two wolves meet to become mates. Thats how most packs typically start. Its rarely a bunch of loners meeting up. Packs have also been known to accept packless wolves into their pack on occasion. For example, Twenty-One actually worked his way into the Druid Peak Pack after the former alpha of that pack was killed.

Anyway, that was an incredibly long post. I hope its not too confusing and gives some insight into what you know and maybe a few new things you didn't!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7