Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "Open World and Crafting" Games
1 2
@Cheeseburger
Ha yeah.... scenery and discovery is a big thing for me too. That's why I like walking everywhere in Skyrim instead of fast traveling. It is better immersion and you can run into things you didn't know to look for, like small caves or random passerbys. I also don't skip quest dialogue but that's something aside.

But I understand the frustration with Wind Waker. The only version I've played it Wii, so my boat speed was mercifully faster than the gamecube version. But I am no where near completing all the islands (I might only have half of them finished) and probably won't be. tbh this is why I'm hopeful for this game, hopefully they will offer a variety of locations and challenges in between.

Also I get your frustration with modern RPGs. Western RPGs tend not to focus on any one story but rather let people play as any type of character as they want and have them complete various quests. My problem with a lot of new games is they try to add too much content, so nothing has time to be polished and instead everything feels a little half-built and broken. This is kind of why I dropped Fallout after playing it for a bit, the game felt needlessly complicated and directionless. Also the uncanny valley with modern graphics but sub-par animation and deisgn really got to me. But I'm a stickler for these kinds of things.
@Cheeseburger
Ha yeah.... scenery and discovery is a big thing for me too. That's why I like walking everywhere in Skyrim instead of fast traveling. It is better immersion and you can run into things you didn't know to look for, like small caves or random passerbys. I also don't skip quest dialogue but that's something aside.

But I understand the frustration with Wind Waker. The only version I've played it Wii, so my boat speed was mercifully faster than the gamecube version. But I am no where near completing all the islands (I might only have half of them finished) and probably won't be. tbh this is why I'm hopeful for this game, hopefully they will offer a variety of locations and challenges in between.

Also I get your frustration with modern RPGs. Western RPGs tend not to focus on any one story but rather let people play as any type of character as they want and have them complete various quests. My problem with a lot of new games is they try to add too much content, so nothing has time to be polished and instead everything feels a little half-built and broken. This is kind of why I dropped Fallout after playing it for a bit, the game felt needlessly complicated and directionless. Also the uncanny valley with modern graphics but sub-par animation and deisgn really got to me. But I'm a stickler for these kinds of things.
@korvas

Oh definitely, I did enjoy walking in Skyrim when I was finished with the thieves' guild questline (which I always did first). Problem with skyrim is that all the "dungeon" points of interest were the same. Giant draugr pits. Who cares. I definitely enjoyed the Falkreath area though.

Yes, variety is definitely something I'm hoping for in BotW. I don't want to be stuck grinding for materials or anything like that, and I don't want to be running through hours of forest. Gimme cool landmarks.

Too much content is exactly what I'm thinking of. I understand they want to keep us playing their game as long as possible (even until their next game comes out) but at what point is it just pointless to add more things to do? I don't think I've encountered any game where the setting was so fantastic and unique that I'd WANT to do random sidequests for 100+ hours. There are certainly games that have neat landmarks, but at some point I have to draw the line and say, "Yup, everything from here on out is just the same old same old!" and then I'll drop the game and play something else. There's just no point in adding hundreds of fetch quests. Like I said, I play the game to have fun, not to have a job :P
@korvas

Oh definitely, I did enjoy walking in Skyrim when I was finished with the thieves' guild questline (which I always did first). Problem with skyrim is that all the "dungeon" points of interest were the same. Giant draugr pits. Who cares. I definitely enjoyed the Falkreath area though.

Yes, variety is definitely something I'm hoping for in BotW. I don't want to be stuck grinding for materials or anything like that, and I don't want to be running through hours of forest. Gimme cool landmarks.

Too much content is exactly what I'm thinking of. I understand they want to keep us playing their game as long as possible (even until their next game comes out) but at what point is it just pointless to add more things to do? I don't think I've encountered any game where the setting was so fantastic and unique that I'd WANT to do random sidequests for 100+ hours. There are certainly games that have neat landmarks, but at some point I have to draw the line and say, "Yup, everything from here on out is just the same old same old!" and then I'll drop the game and play something else. There's just no point in adding hundreds of fetch quests. Like I said, I play the game to have fun, not to have a job :P
Cooking_Icon.pngCooking_Icon.pngCooking_Icon.png
^^ Yeah!
(And this is my last comment really)

Someone on here mentioned FF12, and yes I agree it was notoriously grindy. Like, if they had just halved the required EXP per level the game would be amazing. Also now that I am an adult I really don't have time to grind, so this element will immediately put me off any new titles.

BUT FF12 had superb side and end-game content imo. They have like 3 extra maps just for sidequests and optional engagements, and many optional bosses, dozens of them completely unique. Also for anyone that may be interested in playing FF12 at some point always do the optional hunts. It relieves the drudginess of exp grinding immensely when you have another goal.
^^ Yeah!
(And this is my last comment really)

Someone on here mentioned FF12, and yes I agree it was notoriously grindy. Like, if they had just halved the required EXP per level the game would be amazing. Also now that I am an adult I really don't have time to grind, so this element will immediately put me off any new titles.

BUT FF12 had superb side and end-game content imo. They have like 3 extra maps just for sidequests and optional engagements, and many optional bosses, dozens of them completely unique. Also for anyone that may be interested in playing FF12 at some point always do the optional hunts. It relieves the drudginess of exp grinding immensely when you have another goal.
@Cheeseburger
I play Minecraft but never on singleplayer... I just feel like I'm walking around with no goal at all. I mean, I'm not going to try defeating the Ender Dragon, it will take too long and I have no story to follow which makes it boring.

I much prefer playing shorter games such like The Last Door or scriptwelder games >u<
@Cheeseburger
I play Minecraft but never on singleplayer... I just feel like I'm walking around with no goal at all. I mean, I'm not going to try defeating the Ender Dragon, it will take too long and I have no story to follow which makes it boring.

I much prefer playing shorter games such like The Last Door or scriptwelder games >u<
Looking for
- "runic prince" or "runic king" accent
- Sand/Oilslick/Obsidian Light Wildclaw - can you breed this?
| For sale |
| Fandergs |
___________|
BEGocSN.pngTeeny_Sprite.png
eSXu2YQ.png
1 2