Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Robot Appreciation Club Thread
1 2 3 4
@Sen507
Those are really cool... I want some. But you know, I have no money.

I really wonder how long it will take for robots to become inexpensive and accessible, especially for people with disabilities who need help. Although currently, most robots are pretty clumsy and would probably end up doing more harm than good. Then I wonder how much longer until they have fluent and balanced movements, then I wonder how much longer until they start demanding rights. Then I wonder when dolphins are going to start demanding rights, too. Then I think of "so long, and thanks for all the fish!" and then start wondering about Marvin, and wonder if he really is as smart as he says and that's why he is depressed, or if he is actually depressed cause he isn't as smart as his ego desires.

...My mind goes to weird places. And then it always ends up on robots again. And then I realize half the time I'm talking about Artificial Intelligences and not the actual robots.
@Sen507
Those are really cool... I want some. But you know, I have no money.

I really wonder how long it will take for robots to become inexpensive and accessible, especially for people with disabilities who need help. Although currently, most robots are pretty clumsy and would probably end up doing more harm than good. Then I wonder how much longer until they have fluent and balanced movements, then I wonder how much longer until they start demanding rights. Then I wonder when dolphins are going to start demanding rights, too. Then I think of "so long, and thanks for all the fish!" and then start wondering about Marvin, and wonder if he really is as smart as he says and that's why he is depressed, or if he is actually depressed cause he isn't as smart as his ego desires.

...My mind goes to weird places. And then it always ends up on robots again. And then I realize half the time I'm talking about Artificial Intelligences and not the actual robots.
banner_by_randomcreaturez-da1jgtt.png
@Longneckllama i'll go with canti from flcl because look at this precious bean. he's too good and too pure [img]https://media2.giphy.com/media/F9s52Whgmpujm/200_s.gif[/img] wheatley, clap-trap, herbie/robbie (asimov anyone), QT (space dandy) and brainstorm (mtmte) are also honorable mentions
@Longneckllama
i'll go with canti from flcl because look at this precious bean. he's too good and too pure
200_s.gif

wheatley, clap-trap, herbie/robbie (asimov anyone), QT (space dandy) and brainstorm (mtmte) are also honorable mentions
vFAGccV.png
@Longneckllama I'm not sure if robots will ever become extremely accessible price-wise, but perhaps for health care purposes, in the future health insurance companies will begin to cover therapy and assistive robots under their plans. I think where robots currently are, they can be very helpful for emotional support and giving reminders on when to take meds and such, but as for carrying out multiple critical tasks that someone should be able to rely on, I think we're not quite there yet. Aha, no problem, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is really good. I think there are a lot of possibilities with AI, but I don't think we're going to reach anything really meaningful in the near future (as cool as this would be). Current commercial trends are steering away from robots with advanced AI and the AI in commercial products has taken a huge step backwards in the past fifteen years or so. @Thundercracker Ahh, I love Canti! Aand just to keep the thread interesting, here's a skateboarding robot dog. [img]http://orig01.deviantart.net/5839/f/2016/256/8/5/kboard_by_aibo7m3-dahj072.png[/img]
@Longneckllama
I'm not sure if robots will ever become extremely accessible price-wise, but perhaps for health care purposes, in the future health insurance companies will begin to cover therapy and assistive robots under their plans. I think where robots currently are, they can be very helpful for emotional support and giving reminders on when to take meds and such, but as for carrying out multiple critical tasks that someone should be able to rely on, I think we're not quite there yet.

Aha, no problem, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is really good. I think there are a lot of possibilities with AI, but I don't think we're going to reach anything really meaningful in the near future (as cool as this would be). Current commercial trends are steering away from robots with advanced AI and the AI in commercial products has taken a huge step backwards in the past fifteen years or so.

@Thundercracker
Ahh, I love Canti!

Aand just to keep the thread interesting, here's a skateboarding robot dog.

kboard_by_aibo7m3-dahj072.png
aibotrio5_by_aibo7m3-d82qbdm.jpg
Want to learn about Sony Aibo robots? Send me a PM! ^^
Can I join the club? :'D

Robots are amazing. I mean I'm huge Terminator fantrash but good golly the world of AI is amazing! (I have like, 6 Terminator figurines and counting. It's sickening.)
This is super cool for me! It's a self-motored liquid alloy, that kinda stuff I just nerd out to.

Those Aibo dogs are so adorable! We came such a long way from the old PooChis I used to have an army of.
I still want that pterodactyl one. SOON.

Oh yeah, and TV-headed/faced robots are a fave--super cool to see more Canti/FLCL fans. :D I loved the Securitrons from Fallout: New Vegas.
Can I join the club? :'D

Robots are amazing. I mean I'm huge Terminator fantrash but good golly the world of AI is amazing! (I have like, 6 Terminator figurines and counting. It's sickening.)
This is super cool for me! It's a self-motored liquid alloy, that kinda stuff I just nerd out to.

Those Aibo dogs are so adorable! We came such a long way from the old PooChis I used to have an army of.
I still want that pterodactyl one. SOON.

Oh yeah, and TV-headed/faced robots are a fave--super cool to see more Canti/FLCL fans. :D I loved the Securitrons from Fallout: New Vegas.
TpO8tYR.png912ee11232d0_kamikaze1.pngDgJuZtv.pngDmRdZYl.png
[s]The Grox[/s] Wait, that wouldn't really count as a robot... Hmm... (The Grox are an empire from Spore.) Edit: Ik they're evil (“Being useful to the Grox is good for your survival.” The Grox are a sapient species of cyborg aliens that are supposedly the most evil and hostile race in the galaxy and the main antagonist in Spore. They are feared by every alien with a philosophy and an archetype.) but too cool. Edit 2: [img]https://otakuonion.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/spore6.jpg[/img] I just found this... The grox are so human-like.
The Grox

Wait, that wouldn't really count as a robot... Hmm... (The Grox are an empire from Spore.)

Edit: Ik they're evil (“Being useful to the Grox is good for your survival.” The Grox are a sapient species of cyborg aliens that are supposedly the most evil and hostile race in the galaxy and the main antagonist in Spore. They are feared by every alien with a philosophy and an archetype.) but too cool.

Edit 2: spore6.jpg
I just found this... The grox are so human-like.
Altered version of the 'Fancy Rat' item, edited to have a more blue colour scheme, grey/white husky colouring, and a pair of blue-tipped black crow wings + matching tail feathers. crow, they/them, fr+8
Pixel badges: Rat OwnerFallen London fandom
Rain World fandomGoth

current icon
@KamikazePilot
Honestly, it isn't exactly that we've come a long way from Poo-Chis, the first model of Aibo actually was released the year before Poo-Chi was and is very much "old tech" by now, but it's still miles ahead of other commercial robots being sold right now. I would love to see an Aibo-like robot made using current tech though, still hoping that Sony might reveal that as the plan for the new robot they've rumored about. (And on the topic of Poo-Chis, I have two regular ones and the Bulldog one!)
@KamikazePilot
Honestly, it isn't exactly that we've come a long way from Poo-Chis, the first model of Aibo actually was released the year before Poo-Chi was and is very much "old tech" by now, but it's still miles ahead of other commercial robots being sold right now. I would love to see an Aibo-like robot made using current tech though, still hoping that Sony might reveal that as the plan for the new robot they've rumored about. (And on the topic of Poo-Chis, I have two regular ones and the Bulldog one!)
aibotrio5_by_aibo7m3-d82qbdm.jpg
Want to learn about Sony Aibo robots? Send me a PM! ^^
@Averat I actually play Spore, and the Grox have the weirdest sound lines in the game. They sound somewhat like birdperson and every now and then they'll say "999horse." A little off topic, but the scientist empires sound like Stephen Hawking. Bit more off topic, but even though I know who both people are, I get Stephen King and Stephen Hawking confused so much because of their names, I have to google pictures of them to make sure I'm using the right name for the right person. Slightly less off topic, I made a robot in the Spore spaceship creator. Well, this one is just one of many. He was supposed to be one of my mascots/original characters but then my computer died and I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Spore yet. [img]http://static.spore.com/static/image/501/033/255/501033255713_lrg.png[/img] "This is UNIT-H47 and he is a Love and Hugs Companion Bot originally designed to provide [i]company[/i] and [i]security[/i] for people with social disorders, or people who have no friends [s]like me.[/s] He is not designed for what the name suggests. If you purchased this product expecting a significant other, you forgot to read the fine print and are now on a list. Emphasis on the security part; he is highly trained in physical combat and know how to handle any firearm, or how to handle people with firearms, or how to set people's arms with firearms on fire, essentially disarming them. Or physically dis-arming them. With this droid, you'll never have to worry about being assaulted again unless your attacker literally wants to assault you with their rear end." -Manual Introduction Before you ask, the design (mostly the coloration/face) [i]was[/i] inspired by Bastion. I'll be honest, the only reason I was interested in Overwatch was 'cause Bastion looked like the coolest thing ever. I don't remember exactly when I made UNIT-H47 (currently nicknamed Marshmallow), but it was definitely around the time I first saw Bastion. Hey, they both have a bird friend too! (albeit Marshmallow's friend is more of a mammalian alien, and if I remember correctly, I made this alien before Overwatch was even teased...) [img]http://static.spore.com/static/image/501/031/276/501031276921_lrg.png[/img] "Chess is not a fun game" Ahhhh, you know what? I feel like I'm in heaven! Finally I've found other people who love robots, love Portal, and love Spore... I'm finally not a weirdo anymore! Woohoo!
@Averat
I actually play Spore, and the Grox have the weirdest sound lines in the game. They sound somewhat like birdperson and every now and then they'll say "999horse."

A little off topic, but the scientist empires sound like Stephen Hawking.

Bit more off topic, but even though I know who both people are, I get Stephen King and Stephen Hawking confused so much because of their names, I have to google pictures of them to make sure I'm using the right name for the right person.

Slightly less off topic, I made a robot in the Spore spaceship creator. Well, this one is just one of many. He was supposed to be one of my mascots/original characters but then my computer died and I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Spore yet.

501033255713_lrg.png

"This is UNIT-H47 and he is a Love and Hugs Companion Bot originally designed to provide company and security for people with social disorders, or people who have no friends like me. He is not designed for what the name suggests. If you purchased this product expecting a significant other, you forgot to read the fine print and are now on a list.

Emphasis on the security part; he is highly trained in physical combat and know how to handle any firearm, or how to handle people with firearms, or how to set people's arms with firearms on fire, essentially disarming them. Or physically dis-arming them. With this droid, you'll never have to worry about being assaulted again unless your attacker literally wants to assault you with their rear end." -Manual Introduction

Before you ask, the design (mostly the coloration/face) was inspired by Bastion. I'll be honest, the only reason I was interested in Overwatch was 'cause Bastion looked like the coolest thing ever. I don't remember exactly when I made UNIT-H47 (currently nicknamed Marshmallow), but it was definitely around the time I first saw Bastion.

Hey, they both have a bird friend too! (albeit Marshmallow's friend is more of a mammalian alien, and if I remember correctly, I made this alien before Overwatch was even teased...)

501031276921_lrg.png
"Chess is not a fun game"

Ahhhh, you know what? I feel like I'm in heaven! Finally I've found other people who love robots, love Portal, and love Spore... I'm finally not a weirdo anymore! Woohoo!
@KamikazePilot
WELCOME TO THE CLUB
@KamikazePilot
WELCOME TO THE CLUB
If we're talking RL robots? He's not technically a robot but my heart belongs to Sphero. If we're talking TV robots, I just started watching Star Trek: The Next Gen and I adore Data. He tries so hard. And he'd get so much further if people would answer his questions BUT THEY NEVER DO. POOR CHILD. [img]https://media.tenor.co/images/8488fa38b21aa0bbf59ef73156d7459f/tenor.gif[/img]
If we're talking RL robots? He's not technically a robot but my heart belongs to Sphero.

If we're talking TV robots, I just started watching Star Trek: The Next Gen and I adore Data. He tries so hard. And he'd get so much further if people would answer his questions BUT THEY NEVER DO. POOR CHILD.
tenor.gif
iiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz04t.pngiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz085.pngiiiiiiiii_by_falconrex121-d8kz0bq.png
OMG YESSSS ROBOT-CLUB Awwww, what a sweet child. I [i]love[/i] Atlas. <3 [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rVlhMGQgDkY/maxresdefault.jpg[/img] JUST LOOK AT DAT BOI! [img]http://b1.vestifinance.ru/c/207423.640xp.jpg[/img]
OMG YESSSS ROBOT-CLUB

Awwww, what a sweet child.
I love Atlas. <3

maxresdefault.jpg

JUST LOOK AT DAT BOI!

207423.640xp.jpg
y6Tz96p.png

Artemy | he/him | +10 FR time
1 2 3 4