Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Who else is excited for Ghostbusters?
1 2
@Dolokhov

I grew up watching the original movies and loving them but I can't recall having a lot of the merch? My siblings and I had some figures because I distinctly remember having the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. We also had the big play set of the firehouse they operated out of. Lots of good memories though watching the movies and plenty about them that terrified me at the time. The scene where Dana is getting attacked in her apartment and that big arm bursts out of her chair and then in the second movie the part where Dana's baby is taken while Janice and Louis and babysitting.

And yes, I am aware of the legitimate criticisms and agree with them but it doesn't mean I'm not going to see the movie
@Dolokhov

I grew up watching the original movies and loving them but I can't recall having a lot of the merch? My siblings and I had some figures because I distinctly remember having the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. We also had the big play set of the firehouse they operated out of. Lots of good memories though watching the movies and plenty about them that terrified me at the time. The scene where Dana is getting attacked in her apartment and that big arm bursts out of her chair and then in the second movie the part where Dana's baby is taken while Janice and Louis and babysitting.

And yes, I am aware of the legitimate criticisms and agree with them but it doesn't mean I'm not going to see the movie
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
I still think it looks like it's trying to pander to women just by putting women characters in it (I say this as a woman). A movie can have women characters in it and still be funny. Happy as I am that it's getting ok reviews so far, I want better representation than just a kitsch reboot. A movie is not feminist just because it has women in it.
I still think it looks like it's trying to pander to women just by putting women characters in it (I say this as a woman). A movie can have women characters in it and still be funny. Happy as I am that it's getting ok reviews so far, I want better representation than just a kitsch reboot. A movie is not feminist just because it has women in it.
[quote name="Kanestiel" date=2016-07-13 17:16:12] As someone who is skeptical of the movie, I think I know why. Now, let me start with saying that I could be wrong and this movie comes out terrific. Heck, i want this movie to succeed. But the impression I (and I imagine others) are getting is that it's A: riding on an already exsisting source material. But all movies these days are, so I guess that's not much of an argument. But B:The characters show little to no character in them at all apart lazy one liners. It's almost as if the genderflip was just for the sake of "Look! We're progressive! We have WOMEN AS STARS OMG" and use that as an excuse to not try as hard to give them any sort of depth. It's very possible to make a movie cheesy but likable. That's just my thoughts though. If you're excited about this movie, great! I honestly hope its good. I myself will see it with hope in my heart. I aplogize for any offense I may have caused. It was not ny intention. [/quote] @Kanestiel nailed it. I would much rather a new IP than a "sorta kinda reboot but also a 20 years later sequel". Honestly, the trailer made me cringe at how big of a stereotype they made the black women be. They had a real chance to turn her into something awesome, but nupe. They fell back onto the age old "highly religious, sassy black woman" trope. Was talking to a friend of mine about the movie and she straight up doesn't want to see it because she thinks it's going to be garbage.
Kanestiel wrote on 2016-07-13:
As someone who is skeptical of the movie, I think I know why. Now, let me start with saying that I could be wrong and this movie comes out terrific. Heck, i want this movie to succeed.

But the impression I (and I imagine others) are getting is that it's A: riding on an already exsisting source material. But all movies these days are, so I guess that's not much of an argument. But B:The characters show little to no character in them at all apart lazy one liners. It's almost as if the genderflip was just for the sake of "Look! We're progressive! We have WOMEN AS STARS OMG" and use that as an excuse to not try as hard to give them any sort of depth. It's very possible to make a movie cheesy but likable.

That's just my thoughts though. If you're excited about this movie, great! I honestly hope its good. I myself will see it with hope in my heart.

I aplogize for any offense I may have caused. It was not ny intention.

@Kanestiel nailed it. I would much rather a new IP than a "sorta kinda reboot but also a 20 years later sequel". Honestly, the trailer made me cringe at how big of a stereotype they made the black women be. They had a real chance to turn her into something awesome, but nupe. They fell back onto the age old "highly religious, sassy black woman" trope.

Was talking to a friend of mine about the movie and she straight up doesn't want to see it because she thinks it's going to be garbage.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
*raises hand*
I'm gonna go see it on Tuesday cause of $5 Tuesdays so I hope none of my friends decide to spoil it for me until then! I think it'll be great because I love all of the main female characters, everyone knows they're hilarious **
*raises hand*
I'm gonna go see it on Tuesday cause of $5 Tuesdays so I hope none of my friends decide to spoil it for me until then! I think it'll be great because I love all of the main female characters, everyone knows they're hilarious **
All we know about it is that it's Ghostbusters but they're women. It'd be nice to have stuff focus on how awesome it will be (maybe) and not just 'Look! Women!!!'
We hope it'll be good though :D
All we know about it is that it's Ghostbusters but they're women. It'd be nice to have stuff focus on how awesome it will be (maybe) and not just 'Look! Women!!!'
We hope it'll be good though :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I haven't seen the full movie, and I'm not going to, because the trailer was physically painful to watch. I don't think they could've made the black woman more of a racist stereotype if they'd tried. Just... ouch. Wow. NTHX BAI.

I'm not impressed. Not by the casting, not by the also-physically-painful-to-watch commercial tie-ins, and not by the implication that not liking a crappy movie means you're a misogynist.

You don't get points for representation if your idea of "representation" is a steaming pile of stereotypes. :\
I haven't seen the full movie, and I'm not going to, because the trailer was physically painful to watch. I don't think they could've made the black woman more of a racist stereotype if they'd tried. Just... ouch. Wow. NTHX BAI.

I'm not impressed. Not by the casting, not by the also-physically-painful-to-watch commercial tie-ins, and not by the implication that not liking a crappy movie means you're a misogynist.

You don't get points for representation if your idea of "representation" is a steaming pile of stereotypes. :\
Please ping me; I'm easily distracted.
1 2