Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What should my second bird be?
I'm so, so excited today

I'm calling the local breeder to see if I can get an introduction to some new hand-reared brids he has! I'm a long-time bird owner- I've owned birds for over half of my life, and I've made the decision to get my current bird- Willow, a Red-Masked parakeet/Rosy Headed Conure, a friend!

I've owned multiple birds before, and Willow lived with six other birds before she came to me. She's extremely friendly and loves cuddling, and she's so mellow you can put her with a multitude of other birds and she'll get along! Her list of friends includes many other Conure species, a white-bellied Caique, an Amazon parrot, and many, many Monk parrots/Quakers and Lovebirds!

Since I'm in college, I decided to get a friend for her so she's not alone in the daytime to prevent her getting depressed and lonely. I have two weeks to watch her and her new friend to make sure they get along. I got Willow from the same person I'm going to get this next bird- but now comes the decision. Provided Willow likes them, should I get a Monk parrot or another Conure? He has Lovebirds as well, but I'm a bit weary of lovebirds due to their sometimes-aggressive nature. The guy I'm getting them from is a breeder of 20+ years and I've seen his aviary and birds- they're all healthy, and he's a very good bird owner! All I have to worry about is the decision between Conure or Quaker

Bird owners- what would you suggest for a long-time friend? Willow is still young- only seven years old- so I'm gonna need a long-time friend for my lovely little birb

(Edited some wording, I goofed up a lot in my excitement)
I'm so, so excited today

I'm calling the local breeder to see if I can get an introduction to some new hand-reared brids he has! I'm a long-time bird owner- I've owned birds for over half of my life, and I've made the decision to get my current bird- Willow, a Red-Masked parakeet/Rosy Headed Conure, a friend!

I've owned multiple birds before, and Willow lived with six other birds before she came to me. She's extremely friendly and loves cuddling, and she's so mellow you can put her with a multitude of other birds and she'll get along! Her list of friends includes many other Conure species, a white-bellied Caique, an Amazon parrot, and many, many Monk parrots/Quakers and Lovebirds!

Since I'm in college, I decided to get a friend for her so she's not alone in the daytime to prevent her getting depressed and lonely. I have two weeks to watch her and her new friend to make sure they get along. I got Willow from the same person I'm going to get this next bird- but now comes the decision. Provided Willow likes them, should I get a Monk parrot or another Conure? He has Lovebirds as well, but I'm a bit weary of lovebirds due to their sometimes-aggressive nature. The guy I'm getting them from is a breeder of 20+ years and I've seen his aviary and birds- they're all healthy, and he's a very good bird owner! All I have to worry about is the decision between Conure or Quaker

Bird owners- what would you suggest for a long-time friend? Willow is still young- only seven years old- so I'm gonna need a long-time friend for my lovely little birb

(Edited some wording, I goofed up a lot in my excitement)
image.png
I don't know about rosy headed conures, but I do have a quaker. They're cool little dudes.

They seem to be pretty mature compared to conures, but my conure experience does come from a couple of baby sun conures so your mileage may vary.

They definitely have attitude, and mine always has to make sure I know that whenever he does something, he's doing it because it's his choice to do so. If what he does just happens to line up with what I wanted him to, it's purely coincidental. I think with pretty much any quaker you're in store for a whole lot of stubbornness.

It'll all depend on the specific bird, of course. You'll probably have an easier time deciding once you actually meet them. Good luck finding a new companion!
I don't know about rosy headed conures, but I do have a quaker. They're cool little dudes.

They seem to be pretty mature compared to conures, but my conure experience does come from a couple of baby sun conures so your mileage may vary.

They definitely have attitude, and mine always has to make sure I know that whenever he does something, he's doing it because it's his choice to do so. If what he does just happens to line up with what I wanted him to, it's purely coincidental. I think with pretty much any quaker you're in store for a whole lot of stubbornness.

It'll all depend on the specific bird, of course. You'll probably have an easier time deciding once you actually meet them. Good luck finding a new companion!