Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Closed Species
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hey!! I wanted to spread this around a bit since it's such a wonderful idea and it doesn't seem to get much attention on dA like it deserves. The creator; Seamus(on fr) wrote up most of the information on there.

Link is here; http://forum.deviantart.com/art/general/2155374/

As for me, Flirpes is a lot of fun to draw. I currently own two as you can see, and I'm thinking about a third because they're adorable. Honestly I'd pick it over any of the popular closed species.

*If you have a mean comment to say about it, don't comment. Instead, give us a critique to why you dislike it.

Ah, also if you have a question, you can ask me and I'll answer them best as I can! I'll also take any suggestions into consideration and discuss it with the creator!!! Thank you for your time ;v;

Also sorry if this is in wrong thread!

**Creator has posted a thing on page 3!! Image heavy but many adorable flirps!!
Hey!! I wanted to spread this around a bit since it's such a wonderful idea and it doesn't seem to get much attention on dA like it deserves. The creator; Seamus(on fr) wrote up most of the information on there.

Link is here; http://forum.deviantart.com/art/general/2155374/

As for me, Flirpes is a lot of fun to draw. I currently own two as you can see, and I'm thinking about a third because they're adorable. Honestly I'd pick it over any of the popular closed species.

*If you have a mean comment to say about it, don't comment. Instead, give us a critique to why you dislike it.

Ah, also if you have a question, you can ask me and I'll answer them best as I can! I'll also take any suggestions into consideration and discuss it with the creator!!! Thank you for your time ;v;

Also sorry if this is in wrong thread!

**Creator has posted a thing on page 3!! Image heavy but many adorable flirps!!
895587_QQ7.pngEvGHIgA.png
x4sSJsw.png
@Stitched

Question here... What is a closed Species? Does it mean it is a User/Fanmade species that only certain people are allowed to use? (And that is why they are called 'closed'?)
@Stitched

Question here... What is a closed Species? Does it mean it is a User/Fanmade species that only certain people are allowed to use? (And that is why they are called 'closed'?)
@Ismaiel
Ah, like. If you made up a species(technically user/fanmade), you can make it open- which means anyone can make one of their own if they want to. If you made it closed, that means you pretty much copyrighted it. Nobody can make it, they have to buy or trade for one. Hopefully that answers your question ;v;
@Ismaiel
Ah, like. If you made up a species(technically user/fanmade), you can make it open- which means anyone can make one of their own if they want to. If you made it closed, that means you pretty much copyrighted it. Nobody can make it, they have to buy or trade for one. Hopefully that answers your question ;v;
x4sSJsw.png
@Stitched

So I wasn't enterely wrong. XD Well it seems a strage concept too me - But I never really was well to speak to with the whole 'copyright idea'.

The species itself is cute even if not that novel. They are basically Gryffins with the lion/cat part substituted by dog/wolf parts. (which is why I actually have the 'copyright problem' here. You can't copyright stuff faken from folklore that is just slightly changed right? Well maybe not.. Since there are companies around patenting genes... Which makes no sence at all.. Its just moneymaking and ...Oh I'll stop THAT rant before I beginn..XD)

I do like their colorful presentation though :)
@Stitched

So I wasn't enterely wrong. XD Well it seems a strage concept too me - But I never really was well to speak to with the whole 'copyright idea'.

The species itself is cute even if not that novel. They are basically Gryffins with the lion/cat part substituted by dog/wolf parts. (which is why I actually have the 'copyright problem' here. You can't copyright stuff faken from folklore that is just slightly changed right? Well maybe not.. Since there are companies around patenting genes... Which makes no sence at all.. Its just moneymaking and ...Oh I'll stop THAT rant before I beginn..XD)

I do like their colorful presentation though :)
@Ismaiel

Yeah,, mostly people 'copyright' their species to make money. I've seen a design go for 100$ or more. As for me(hopefully Seamus too) I'd like to grow a family sort of community, where we can talk about and enjoy our flirpes without going crazy that one of the flirp is like 50$ and all. I'd like to try to keep it cheap best as we can.

Also I apologize for my wording. Basically I'm trying to say that it's 'copyrighted' because I've seen some other people make waterdogs by accident and the waterdogs fans basically attacked the person to take it down. Which I don't get because waterdogs is a popular thing you can make on accident, even six year olds and all.

And yeah!! That's another reason why I love them, colorful and stuff c:
@Ismaiel

Yeah,, mostly people 'copyright' their species to make money. I've seen a design go for 100$ or more. As for me(hopefully Seamus too) I'd like to grow a family sort of community, where we can talk about and enjoy our flirpes without going crazy that one of the flirp is like 50$ and all. I'd like to try to keep it cheap best as we can.

Also I apologize for my wording. Basically I'm trying to say that it's 'copyrighted' because I've seen some other people make waterdogs by accident and the waterdogs fans basically attacked the person to take it down. Which I don't get because waterdogs is a popular thing you can make on accident, even six year olds and all.

And yeah!! That's another reason why I love them, colorful and stuff c:
x4sSJsw.png
@Stitched

Wow.. No one should attack anyone for drawing 'copyrighted' stuff. Most stuff drawn isn't exactly so unique that never in a 1000 years anyone would draw something scarily similar 'by accident'. Looking at those 'waterdogs' there is nothing 'copyrightworthy' I can see there. Sure if you can and want to pay 100$ for a doodle of such a dog they are free to do so. But they should leave other people in peace.

As I see it such 'creature meshups' should be 'free to use' since litterally anyone can come up with simple 2 or 3 creature meshups. I could argue that a 20 or more creature meshup could actually require enough 'brainwork' to justify a copyright of the resulting species. But even them.... There should not be a witchhunt if someone draws this stuff just for joy and the arts sake.

I have a OC that is a (relatively) simple drake(dragon) design. I wouldn't even think about anyone trying to 'copy' my OC since there are most likely so many similar looking dragons around that MY idea is probably allready the copy of somones copy of another ones dragonspecies idea. XD I guess I would only get a tad angry if everything from looks to name and characterisation and backgroundstory would be copied. Most likely I'd sooner get sad. It means that there is a person out ther having not one creative bone in their body if they can't even come up with a different name or eyecolor ;)

In any case I wish you luck with your and Seamus' project. Maybe we'll see loads of little fuzzbals around soon.
@Stitched

Wow.. No one should attack anyone for drawing 'copyrighted' stuff. Most stuff drawn isn't exactly so unique that never in a 1000 years anyone would draw something scarily similar 'by accident'. Looking at those 'waterdogs' there is nothing 'copyrightworthy' I can see there. Sure if you can and want to pay 100$ for a doodle of such a dog they are free to do so. But they should leave other people in peace.

As I see it such 'creature meshups' should be 'free to use' since litterally anyone can come up with simple 2 or 3 creature meshups. I could argue that a 20 or more creature meshup could actually require enough 'brainwork' to justify a copyright of the resulting species. But even them.... There should not be a witchhunt if someone draws this stuff just for joy and the arts sake.

I have a OC that is a (relatively) simple drake(dragon) design. I wouldn't even think about anyone trying to 'copy' my OC since there are most likely so many similar looking dragons around that MY idea is probably allready the copy of somones copy of another ones dragonspecies idea. XD I guess I would only get a tad angry if everything from looks to name and characterisation and backgroundstory would be copied. Most likely I'd sooner get sad. It means that there is a person out ther having not one creative bone in their body if they can't even come up with a different name or eyecolor ;)

In any case I wish you luck with your and Seamus' project. Maybe we'll see loads of little fuzzbals around soon.
@Stitched I love their tails, how they are so smooth and pointy. It makes me imagine they are almost suction cupped onto the creature (this is not a bad thing!!) and I love the stripes on them too
@Stitched I love their tails, how they are so smooth and pointy. It makes me imagine they are almost suction cupped onto the creature (this is not a bad thing!!) and I love the stripes on them too
male | 21
most normal of all time
@Ismaiel

Exactly. Though sometimes people don't really have the creativity to create something unique or whatever. Or they're more fun to collect than making it yourself(I've seen someone with like 12 waterdogs). It also depends on the owner's actions. Sometimes they can tell their fans to track down the copys and tell them to take it down, or other times they can't just put a stop to fans' actions.

Yeah. I have some ocs that is easy to be copied on accident, but I'm fine as long whoever it is doesn't copy 80-90% of it. Also thank you!! I hope to see them around soon too!!
@Ismaiel

Exactly. Though sometimes people don't really have the creativity to create something unique or whatever. Or they're more fun to collect than making it yourself(I've seen someone with like 12 waterdogs). It also depends on the owner's actions. Sometimes they can tell their fans to track down the copys and tell them to take it down, or other times they can't just put a stop to fans' actions.

Yeah. I have some ocs that is easy to be copied on accident, but I'm fine as long whoever it is doesn't copy 80-90% of it. Also thank you!! I hope to see them around soon too!!
x4sSJsw.png
@comedic
Yeah!! Me too. Someone actually suggested a split tail and I've made a quick flirp with it and it came out real cute. ;v;
@comedic
Yeah!! Me too. Someone actually suggested a split tail and I've made a quick flirp with it and it came out real cute. ;v;
x4sSJsw.png
@Stitched would it be okay if I ask to see the split-tail flip? :'D it sounds precious
@Stitched would it be okay if I ask to see the split-tail flip? :'D it sounds precious
male | 21
most normal of all time
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8