Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Alcohol?
1 2 3 4 5
In Denmark, where I'm from, people tend to start drinking at an early age. And I'm talking completely wasted at the age of fourteen.
But apparently it is very different in America, and as I've never really talked about the topic with any Americans (generally, any non-Scandinavian) I just wanted to hear when you started drinking?

It's the same with relationships, really. In Denmark you can do whatever with whoever, as long as you're both over 15 - And if a guy gets something going with a girl under 15, people doesn't even bother. (Even through the earliest I've seen is a 14 year old girl with a 17 year old guy). America seems pretty strict there as well.

But anyway, how is the standard form where you're from - When did you start drinking?
In Denmark, where I'm from, people tend to start drinking at an early age. And I'm talking completely wasted at the age of fourteen.
But apparently it is very different in America, and as I've never really talked about the topic with any Americans (generally, any non-Scandinavian) I just wanted to hear when you started drinking?

It's the same with relationships, really. In Denmark you can do whatever with whoever, as long as you're both over 15 - And if a guy gets something going with a girl under 15, people doesn't even bother. (Even through the earliest I've seen is a 14 year old girl with a 17 year old guy). America seems pretty strict there as well.

But anyway, how is the standard form where you're from - When did you start drinking?
@Annekin

I'm American, 19, and haven't tasted alcohol in my life, although I think my experience is far from typical because many of my friends have been drinking from the time they were 16.

For me it's a family culture thing; my father was an alcoholic before he met my mother, and when they decided to raise a family he quit for good. My mother never drank because her parents were both alcoholics, and abusive to her and her siblings as well as each other. People on both sides of my family have a history of alcoholism and addictive personalities, and while I've never been forbidden to drink I've been cautioned against it my whole life just due to our genetics and general inability to hold our liquor.

For the record, my father was never abusive as a drunk, but he was more along the lines of one of those who gets reckless and engages in high risk behaviors. My dad totally almost sliced his fingers off playing that bar game with the knife while drunk one time. He had to go to the emergency room and get stitches. Even if he was apparently a fun drunk, it's probably for the best that he gave it up. xP I like my daddy to be in one piece.
@Annekin

I'm American, 19, and haven't tasted alcohol in my life, although I think my experience is far from typical because many of my friends have been drinking from the time they were 16.

For me it's a family culture thing; my father was an alcoholic before he met my mother, and when they decided to raise a family he quit for good. My mother never drank because her parents were both alcoholics, and abusive to her and her siblings as well as each other. People on both sides of my family have a history of alcoholism and addictive personalities, and while I've never been forbidden to drink I've been cautioned against it my whole life just due to our genetics and general inability to hold our liquor.

For the record, my father was never abusive as a drunk, but he was more along the lines of one of those who gets reckless and engages in high risk behaviors. My dad totally almost sliced his fingers off playing that bar game with the knife while drunk one time. He had to go to the emergency room and get stitches. Even if he was apparently a fun drunk, it's probably for the best that he gave it up. xP I like my daddy to be in one piece.
I found stars on the tip of your tongue/You speak poltergeist and so do I
dark-dragon-hatchling-water-pixel.gif
@Annekin

I'm from England, and at least in my town, it's pretty much the same. I didn't start drinking (aside from a glass of champagne at new year's) until I was maybe 15/16, and I was considered a "goody-two-shoes".

I also know a lot of girls who had babies very young, like 15 or 16. I've seen age differences (where they've gotten away with it) where the girl has been 15 and the guy around 22!

Although again, I think that might just be because I come from a rougher area, I know people from more affluent areas who think I'm joking!
@Annekin

I'm from England, and at least in my town, it's pretty much the same. I didn't start drinking (aside from a glass of champagne at new year's) until I was maybe 15/16, and I was considered a "goody-two-shoes".

I also know a lot of girls who had babies very young, like 15 or 16. I've seen age differences (where they've gotten away with it) where the girl has been 15 and the guy around 22!

Although again, I think that might just be because I come from a rougher area, I know people from more affluent areas who think I'm joking!
@Annekin
in america it's not "legal" to drink until 21, but i've met many people who started drinking as young as 12/13 honestly. i'm still only 20 and i've been drinking on my own for a couple years now (i had alcohol before that but it was just wine at reunions, family traditions and whatnot), but i've never actually gotten drunk so i guess i'd consider it more just occasional social drinking. doesn't really make a difference in the legality of it (oops) but no one really pays attention to it... they just find a way to get alcohol anyway.

relationships are... well, strict i suppose in the sense of punishment but the age is about the same. i don't think about it much anyway now that i'm 20 because i don't have any interest in dating someone that young but if you're even 17 and in a relationship with someone who's 15 there can be some pretty nasty repercussions if anything goes wrong because that's like the threshold of being "of age" here and younger than 16 the government feels like can't make their own decisions as an adult.
@Annekin
in america it's not "legal" to drink until 21, but i've met many people who started drinking as young as 12/13 honestly. i'm still only 20 and i've been drinking on my own for a couple years now (i had alcohol before that but it was just wine at reunions, family traditions and whatnot), but i've never actually gotten drunk so i guess i'd consider it more just occasional social drinking. doesn't really make a difference in the legality of it (oops) but no one really pays attention to it... they just find a way to get alcohol anyway.

relationships are... well, strict i suppose in the sense of punishment but the age is about the same. i don't think about it much anyway now that i'm 20 because i don't have any interest in dating someone that young but if you're even 17 and in a relationship with someone who's 15 there can be some pretty nasty repercussions if anything goes wrong because that's like the threshold of being "of age" here and younger than 16 the government feels like can't make their own decisions as an adult.
12 or 13. but, i don't drink now. seen too many people hurt by it. (myself included at a young age)

plus its all damn expensive and tastes horrible.
12 or 13. but, i don't drink now. seen too many people hurt by it. (myself included at a young age)

plus its all damn expensive and tastes horrible.
gBiG1sU.png Preview Accents On Scrys!
List of new colors and HTML Values
Click the art to go to the artists!
Need help with Coding? Just Ask!
I'm Friendly, but blunt on occasion.
Need Help Melting Mats? Ask Here!
jdf0AYP.png
Legal drinking age currently is 21 in the US, when my parents were teenagers it was 18. It was changed because something about your brain being fully developed at the age of 21 and being able to make smarter choices at that age? Buuuut that certainly doesn't stop underagers from obtaining and drinking alcohol. It's kind of an unspoken assumption that most people have at least tried alcohol during their teenage years.

Personally I was raised around alcohol, some good experiences and some bad - though not in an abusive way, just to be clear. (I had the partying parents growing up, so I got first hand experience of seeing the effects that drinking has on people - they've long grown out of that stage of their life though lol too old for crazy parties). My parents are huge into beer fests, wineries, local brews stuff like that. So I was given sips of their drinks throughout a lot of my life lmao. And because of that I didn't really have any interest in drinking myself until after I turned 22. Drinking alcohol legally wasn't suddenly this new found freedom I was able to take advantage of. So I didn't go crazy on my 21st birthday and get completely smashed like many of my friends did. Honestly, I feel like being introduced to alcohol in a healthy way early on in my life has helped me make responsible drinking choices now. :3
Legal drinking age currently is 21 in the US, when my parents were teenagers it was 18. It was changed because something about your brain being fully developed at the age of 21 and being able to make smarter choices at that age? Buuuut that certainly doesn't stop underagers from obtaining and drinking alcohol. It's kind of an unspoken assumption that most people have at least tried alcohol during their teenage years.

Personally I was raised around alcohol, some good experiences and some bad - though not in an abusive way, just to be clear. (I had the partying parents growing up, so I got first hand experience of seeing the effects that drinking has on people - they've long grown out of that stage of their life though lol too old for crazy parties). My parents are huge into beer fests, wineries, local brews stuff like that. So I was given sips of their drinks throughout a lot of my life lmao. And because of that I didn't really have any interest in drinking myself until after I turned 22. Drinking alcohol legally wasn't suddenly this new found freedom I was able to take advantage of. So I didn't go crazy on my 21st birthday and get completely smashed like many of my friends did. Honestly, I feel like being introduced to alcohol in a healthy way early on in my life has helped me make responsible drinking choices now. :3
Og3Jc2x.png
xxxx
xxxx
x5apShK.gif
@Annekin
Australian here.
I live in a small town and have seen people start from around 12/13, I personally started at around 14.

As for relationships, we're basically the same as Denmark.
@Annekin
Australian here.
I live in a small town and have seen people start from around 12/13, I personally started at around 14.

As for relationships, we're basically the same as Denmark.
@Annekin

I think that's kind of funny because I have heard evidence to suggest that countries with lower or no minimum drinking age tend to have less instances of alcohol abuse because it's not a "ooooh the law says I can't have this but I'm going to anyway!" temptation.

I live in the US, so obvs the Legal Age is 21, as people above me have said.

I used to abstain from any alcohol consumption even past 21 because I grew up with a severely alcoholic father and was scared I'd become like him if I started drinking.

I drink pretty casually now. I'm not social so I don't go to bars unless it's a rare occasion a friend invites me out or we go out as an office after work. But I will stay inside and drink with my partner. The last time I went to the bar was when a coworker was moving away out of state and I got so grossly drunk off craft beers I puked all over lmaaaaooooooo. I'm not going to be doing that again. :> I don't like beer for the specific reason that it upsets my stomach and it is REALLY hard for me to judge when enough is enough because it takes too long to absorb.

I DO love to buy Kraken Rum and game online while intoxicated. Kraken is my favorite booze and gets me drunk like nothing else almost instantly, even compared to things with higher proofs. Therefore I have to drink much less and I can stop myself before I get sick.
@Annekin

I think that's kind of funny because I have heard evidence to suggest that countries with lower or no minimum drinking age tend to have less instances of alcohol abuse because it's not a "ooooh the law says I can't have this but I'm going to anyway!" temptation.

I live in the US, so obvs the Legal Age is 21, as people above me have said.

I used to abstain from any alcohol consumption even past 21 because I grew up with a severely alcoholic father and was scared I'd become like him if I started drinking.

I drink pretty casually now. I'm not social so I don't go to bars unless it's a rare occasion a friend invites me out or we go out as an office after work. But I will stay inside and drink with my partner. The last time I went to the bar was when a coworker was moving away out of state and I got so grossly drunk off craft beers I puked all over lmaaaaooooooo. I'm not going to be doing that again. :> I don't like beer for the specific reason that it upsets my stomach and it is REALLY hard for me to judge when enough is enough because it takes too long to absorb.

I DO love to buy Kraken Rum and game online while intoxicated. Kraken is my favorite booze and gets me drunk like nothing else almost instantly, even compared to things with higher proofs. Therefore I have to drink much less and I can stop myself before I get sick.
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
In Scotland the legal age for drinking is 18 I believe. I don't know anyone who has drank underage, but that might be because I myself am well underage.

Legal age of consent is 16. I don't know anyone with a kid who is/was under 16, and I think the youngest I know of was 18.
In Scotland the legal age for drinking is 18 I believe. I don't know anyone who has drank underage, but that might be because I myself am well underage.

Legal age of consent is 16. I don't know anyone with a kid who is/was under 16, and I think the youngest I know of was 18.
9XOxNGE.jpg Always up for some Mammertee Plushies :D
I live in Oklahoma (riht off a military base actually) and yes the legal drinking age is 21. That doesn't stop the underage soldiers from drinking it up all the time. They can get in huge amount of trouble if caught, but most don't care and party hardy anyway.

I was born and grew up for a rime in Texas where if your parents bought it they didn't care if you drank from it some. (I was always allowed to take sips from family members drinks and my grandma was an alcoholic in her younger years so yes in elementary school I did have sips or sometimes my own wine coolers.

I have only ever been drunk twice in my life and it was always in a safe place (at home/safe friends house) I never left the safe area drunk and do not party often. I have seen this go wrong to many times to count! The law about age limit does make a forbidden fruit mentality and lead to a lot of binges in the states.
I live in Oklahoma (riht off a military base actually) and yes the legal drinking age is 21. That doesn't stop the underage soldiers from drinking it up all the time. They can get in huge amount of trouble if caught, but most don't care and party hardy anyway.

I was born and grew up for a rime in Texas where if your parents bought it they didn't care if you drank from it some. (I was always allowed to take sips from family members drinks and my grandma was an alcoholic in her younger years so yes in elementary school I did have sips or sometimes my own wine coolers.

I have only ever been drunk twice in my life and it was always in a safe place (at home/safe friends house) I never left the safe area drunk and do not party often. I have seen this go wrong to many times to count! The law about age limit does make a forbidden fruit mentality and lead to a lot of binges in the states.
r5CjlMV.gifpr7Tort.png
1 2 3 4 5