Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | GIMP 2.8 Problem - Solved!
Alrighty, I'm near ready to tear my hair out of my head.

I'm new to GIMP and attempting to edit an adoptable image I have been using.
Bucket Fill tool works, paths tool works, but if i attempt to erase, pencil, paintbrush, or smudge anything (on any layer) I can draw nothing.
Same issue persists on another file, so I believe it's not the image.
  • It's set to RGB colour.
  • Layers and pixels are not locked or floating.
  • I have SELECT + ALL and NONE and tried to colour with either selected, to no avail.
  • In VIEW, SHOW SELECTION is checked.
  • I have Layered to Image Size.
  • Layer Opacity is at 100%

Any suggestions would be appreciated, If it means re-installing GIMP I will, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anythying ;m;
Alrighty, I'm near ready to tear my hair out of my head.

I'm new to GIMP and attempting to edit an adoptable image I have been using.
Bucket Fill tool works, paths tool works, but if i attempt to erase, pencil, paintbrush, or smudge anything (on any layer) I can draw nothing.
Same issue persists on another file, so I believe it's not the image.
  • It's set to RGB colour.
  • Layers and pixels are not locked or floating.
  • I have SELECT + ALL and NONE and tried to colour with either selected, to no avail.
  • In VIEW, SHOW SELECTION is checked.
  • I have Layered to Image Size.
  • Layer Opacity is at 100%

Any suggestions would be appreciated, If it means re-installing GIMP I will, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anythying ;m;
Hm...

Have you tried different Brushes, when it only happens with Pencil and those tools which use brushes? Also what kind of Mode is set at the Brushes, is it Normal?
Same for the Layers. Check, if you haven't changed it.

If it's not the Image of the brush, the Dynamics might be changed.

I try to find more possible reasons.
Hm...

Have you tried different Brushes, when it only happens with Pencil and those tools which use brushes? Also what kind of Mode is set at the Brushes, is it Normal?
Same for the Layers. Check, if you haven't changed it.

If it's not the Image of the brush, the Dynamics might be changed.

I try to find more possible reasons.
@Vehementis Thanks for the response :) Brushes and Layers are set to Normal.

I have discovered the Ink Tool works, but the Pencil/Paint/Airbrush Tool still is not showing, and I cannot smudge or blur the Ink marks.

Please let me know if there's any other information I can give you - thank you for your help!

I will look up to see if the Dynamics are wrong. If it helps at all, this is the image that comes up with the Paintbrush and Pencil selected:
1t0nt0.png
And this is the image of my Channels, I'm not sure if it makes a difference:
28megdv.png
@Vehementis Thanks for the response :) Brushes and Layers are set to Normal.

I have discovered the Ink Tool works, but the Pencil/Paint/Airbrush Tool still is not showing, and I cannot smudge or blur the Ink marks.

Please let me know if there's any other information I can give you - thank you for your help!

I will look up to see if the Dynamics are wrong. If it helps at all, this is the image that comes up with the Paintbrush and Pencil selected:
1t0nt0.png
And this is the image of my Channels, I'm not sure if it makes a difference:
28megdv.png
Hello! I've been using GIMP for a long time, so maybe I can help you.

In the Layers Dialogue, underneath the Opacity box there is a section that says Lock: with a picture of a paintbrush and a grid. Make sure you did not click on those boxed accidentally. Clicking on the paintbrush icon next to Lock: is a lock pixels function. Clicking on the grid icon locks the alpha channel. Make sure both of those have not been clicked on. If those are clicked on it could cause you to be unable to edit your layers normally.

If that's not the problem I'll try digging deeper into the issue. If you are able to providing a screenshot would be very helpful!

I just saw your screenshot. I noticed your actual paint brush is set to clipboard. Try choosing another brush.
Hello! I've been using GIMP for a long time, so maybe I can help you.

In the Layers Dialogue, underneath the Opacity box there is a section that says Lock: with a picture of a paintbrush and a grid. Make sure you did not click on those boxed accidentally. Clicking on the paintbrush icon next to Lock: is a lock pixels function. Clicking on the grid icon locks the alpha channel. Make sure both of those have not been clicked on. If those are clicked on it could cause you to be unable to edit your layers normally.

If that's not the problem I'll try digging deeper into the issue. If you are able to providing a screenshot would be very helpful!

I just saw your screenshot. I noticed your actual paint brush is set to clipboard. Try choosing another brush.
eRqYcYz.gif
Your Brush is 'Clipboard'. That's literally nothing. :D

Use another. Alternatively you can Restore Tool Presets, if there already are some installed.
I have GIMP Paint Studio that added some brushes and presets, so I don't know.
Your Brush is 'Clipboard'. That's literally nothing. :D

Use another. Alternatively you can Restore Tool Presets, if there already are some installed.
I have GIMP Paint Studio that added some brushes and presets, so I don't know.
@Pyrite
@Vehementis

Thank you both so much ;u;
Brushes weren't coming up when I was trying to click on it - just ended up dragging it from the Dockable Dialogue, and it's working again.
Terribly simple thing to have overlooked (and I can guarentee I'll never do again), and thank you both for the suggestions and the solution!

Now to go and colour finally
*wheeze*

@Pyrite
@Vehementis

Thank you both so much ;u;
Brushes weren't coming up when I was trying to click on it - just ended up dragging it from the Dockable Dialogue, and it's working again.
Terribly simple thing to have overlooked (and I can guarentee I'll never do again), and thank you both for the suggestions and the solution!

Now to go and colour finally
*wheeze*