Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Weird School classes/subjects
1 2 3 4
@TheHellNeko

At my K-12 school, seniors could choose to take Ancient Greek. Which is slightly less odd considering they taught Latin 3rd to 8th grade, and as an elective 9th to 11th. Still, there's not a lot of point in taking it except to tell your friends "Oh yeah, I took ancient Greek in high school."
@TheHellNeko

At my K-12 school, seniors could choose to take Ancient Greek. Which is slightly less odd considering they taught Latin 3rd to 8th grade, and as an elective 9th to 11th. Still, there's not a lot of point in taking it except to tell your friends "Oh yeah, I took ancient Greek in high school."
09070661-F9A3-4D5F-AE78-35EBF843F64C.png
@Sumatra:

Well, it'd be cool to learn Ancient Greek in case you ever wanted to read ancient Greek myths, poetry, philosophy, etc. in its original language.

But other than in an academic context, I can't imagine where you'd use it in real life.

At least with Latin, it can help you learn new words and languages because Latin is a sort of root that is like a key to other Romance languages.
@Sumatra:

Well, it'd be cool to learn Ancient Greek in case you ever wanted to read ancient Greek myths, poetry, philosophy, etc. in its original language.

But other than in an academic context, I can't imagine where you'd use it in real life.

At least with Latin, it can help you learn new words and languages because Latin is a sort of root that is like a key to other Romance languages.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
@Pyrite:

Also, how DOES one analyze anime and manga in an academic fashion? I'd be curious to know, since it's more visual than analyzing, say, a novel and it wouldn't be exactly the same as analyzing a piece of artwork because there's text in a manga, and then there'd be the film/tv-like aspects of anime. But it'd be cool to do.
@Pyrite:

Also, how DOES one analyze anime and manga in an academic fashion? I'd be curious to know, since it's more visual than analyzing, say, a novel and it wouldn't be exactly the same as analyzing a piece of artwork because there's text in a manga, and then there'd be the film/tv-like aspects of anime. But it'd be cool to do.
@MythGriffin24

One year of Greek isn't anywhere near enough to give you that level of comprehension. Besides that, I am told by those who took it that it wasn't taught very well, yet the teacher still expected them to be able read the myths and poetry and all that.

I definitely agree with you about Latin. Learning French has been really easy after taking Latin. Also, it's probably helpful if you ever decide to go into a biology-related field because scientific names for things are usually based on Latin.
@MythGriffin24

One year of Greek isn't anywhere near enough to give you that level of comprehension. Besides that, I am told by those who took it that it wasn't taught very well, yet the teacher still expected them to be able read the myths and poetry and all that.

I definitely agree with you about Latin. Learning French has been really easy after taking Latin. Also, it's probably helpful if you ever decide to go into a biology-related field because scientific names for things are usually based on Latin.
09070661-F9A3-4D5F-AE78-35EBF843F64C.png
@MythGriffin24

It's kinda like a weird hybrid of analyzing literature and art. We mainly just discussed and analyzed how the artist's style expresses symbolism and the message he/she is trying to convey within the plot. It was just neat to be able to study media like this among other students for an actual graded class.
@MythGriffin24

It's kinda like a weird hybrid of analyzing literature and art. We mainly just discussed and analyzed how the artist's style expresses symbolism and the message he/she is trying to convey within the plot. It was just neat to be able to study media like this among other students for an actual graded class.
eRqYcYz.gif
@Pyrite:

Hmm. That's interesting. And that's cool that you're studying stuff like anime and manga. They're just as much forms of art as literature or artwork or any other piece of media is, and I think it's great that you get to look at it in a different way, especially things you enjoy.

@Sumatra:
That sounds tough! And glad that Latin has helped you with French.
@Pyrite:

Hmm. That's interesting. And that's cool that you're studying stuff like anime and manga. They're just as much forms of art as literature or artwork or any other piece of media is, and I think it's great that you get to look at it in a different way, especially things you enjoy.

@Sumatra:
That sounds tough! And glad that Latin has helped you with French.
Did a sci-fi class in college!
Did a sci-fi class in college!
bmc86yo.pngC7i9WrC.pngcOEuydC.pngMUSskfQ.png
1 2 3 4