Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Fanfiction woes
1 2 3 4 5
So I found a really good series of fanfiction on a niche site a few years ago. I mean, some of the best I've ever read, and one of my alltime favourites. I've been keeping up with the updates on some and rereading them ever since. A few days ago I went to see if one had been updated, and to my immense horror I discovered they'd all been taken down. At first I thought maybe the mods removed them, but nope, the author took them down because she believed they were harmful... I tried messaging her, but she said they're not going back up, so I doubt she'd be willing to send me personal copies.

I know it sounds dumb, but these stories were so, so good, and they really helped me. I've posted to a bunch of fic finder sites, but there's no guarantee anything will come up. There's so many things that have to go right. Someone smarter than me had to have saved copies, they'd have to come across my posts, and they'd have to be willing to share.

I will always regret not saving my own copies. What's killing me is I did consider at one point doing it so I could read them on my phone or something, and I never did. I never dreamed they'd be taken down... I actually searched my computer to see if I was smart enough and just forgot about it. Nope. So yeah, really hoping I can find copies, because I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I may never read these stories again.

I've been driving myself crazy the past few days with regret, kicking myself for not saving them, and trying desperately to find other ways of getting them. At this point I think my best hope is the author magically having a change of heart, which I doubt will happen, so I'm pretty much screwed.

Has anyone else has a similar experience? If not, let this be a cautionary tale. If you love something like a story, SAVE IT. You never know what might happen.
So I found a really good series of fanfiction on a niche site a few years ago. I mean, some of the best I've ever read, and one of my alltime favourites. I've been keeping up with the updates on some and rereading them ever since. A few days ago I went to see if one had been updated, and to my immense horror I discovered they'd all been taken down. At first I thought maybe the mods removed them, but nope, the author took them down because she believed they were harmful... I tried messaging her, but she said they're not going back up, so I doubt she'd be willing to send me personal copies.

I know it sounds dumb, but these stories were so, so good, and they really helped me. I've posted to a bunch of fic finder sites, but there's no guarantee anything will come up. There's so many things that have to go right. Someone smarter than me had to have saved copies, they'd have to come across my posts, and they'd have to be willing to share.

I will always regret not saving my own copies. What's killing me is I did consider at one point doing it so I could read them on my phone or something, and I never did. I never dreamed they'd be taken down... I actually searched my computer to see if I was smart enough and just forgot about it. Nope. So yeah, really hoping I can find copies, because I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I may never read these stories again.

I've been driving myself crazy the past few days with regret, kicking myself for not saving them, and trying desperately to find other ways of getting them. At this point I think my best hope is the author magically having a change of heart, which I doubt will happen, so I'm pretty much screwed.

Has anyone else has a similar experience? If not, let this be a cautionary tale. If you love something like a story, SAVE IT. You never know what might happen.
@korradorable I am so sorry to hear that! Since you said that I'm thinking and going to save my all time favorite fic ever. >_> I really am sorry though, I hope something goes right in your favor and you find a way to get the fic. :c
@korradorable I am so sorry to hear that! Since you said that I'm thinking and going to save my all time favorite fic ever. >_> I really am sorry though, I hope something goes right in your favor and you find a way to get the fic. :c
@scrxpt Thank you! The odds are against me; talk about looking for a needle in a haystack! But I'm determined to succeed. There's a few other avenues I can try, and I may just try outright asking the author for copies (though I very much doubt she'll agree).

It definitely taught me a hard lesson about saving things! If I happen to find another fic as good as that one, I'm definitely going to save it right away. But the ones I'm looking for were pretty much perfect, so I doubt I'll be able to find another story like them. I'm glad I can at least help others if nothing else. @.@
@scrxpt Thank you! The odds are against me; talk about looking for a needle in a haystack! But I'm determined to succeed. There's a few other avenues I can try, and I may just try outright asking the author for copies (though I very much doubt she'll agree).

It definitely taught me a hard lesson about saving things! If I happen to find another fic as good as that one, I'm definitely going to save it right away. But the ones I'm looking for were pretty much perfect, so I doubt I'll be able to find another story like them. I'm glad I can at least help others if nothing else. @.@
@korradorable

The author of one of my favorite fanfictions vanished, taking their stories with them. That was not a fun experience.
@korradorable

The author of one of my favorite fanfictions vanished, taking their stories with them. That was not a fun experience.
VHFsfxu.gif
@korradorable
Do you have the link and could you stick it in the Way back Machine?
Even if the story was removed you might be able to find it there and save a copy.

Try the link here
@korradorable
Do you have the link and could you stick it in the Way back Machine?
Even if the story was removed you might be able to find it there and save a copy.

Try the link here
Yt4sddf.png
@gemstoneblue Sorry to hear that! :(

@Pilotslover I did try, but it was never archived, so they don't have it. And even if someone had, I don't know that it would have worked. This niche site has an overlay where you have to enter information before you can look at the actual story, so it probably would have just saved that anyway. :(

The only thing I was able to find were a few cached pages of reviews. I considered messaging people, but most of the reviews weren't tied to accounts, and I don't think the site has a messaging function anyway.
@gemstoneblue Sorry to hear that! :(

@Pilotslover I did try, but it was never archived, so they don't have it. And even if someone had, I don't know that it would have worked. This niche site has an overlay where you have to enter information before you can look at the actual story, so it probably would have just saved that anyway. :(

The only thing I was able to find were a few cached pages of reviews. I considered messaging people, but most of the reviews weren't tied to accounts, and I don't think the site has a messaging function anyway.
That's always really disappointing :( I've made a habit of saving my favourite fanfictions because 1)In case they suddenly disappear 2)You have all your favourites in one place.
That's always really disappointing :( I've made a habit of saving my favourite fanfictions because 1)In case they suddenly disappear 2)You have all your favourites in one place.
Dragon in love with the stars. Been here for a while, feel free to message me!
@maddyporter4639 Apparently I'm not that smart, aha. I'm driving myself insane with 'if only's.
@maddyporter4639 Apparently I'm not that smart, aha. I'm driving myself insane with 'if only's.
Yep, I've had that happen before. Recently one FF7 fic I liked got removed and I don't think I had it saved. Even more aggravatingly, an author for a dead fandom removed all their fanfics and I'd forgotten to save even a single one of them and now I'll never get the chance. This one fic of theirs was legendary status for that series.

And, the ONLY fanfiction author for Kingdom Hearts whose fanfics were really amazing and didn't revolve around shipping and OCs just... removed all her stuff. All of it. She said she needed to move on, which... I do understand sort of, but I don't know why it all needed to be taken down. Not only that, her old harddrive crashed after she deleted all of her fanfiction, so she lost them all and was panicking and it just wasn't pretty.
Yep, I've had that happen before. Recently one FF7 fic I liked got removed and I don't think I had it saved. Even more aggravatingly, an author for a dead fandom removed all their fanfics and I'd forgotten to save even a single one of them and now I'll never get the chance. This one fic of theirs was legendary status for that series.

And, the ONLY fanfiction author for Kingdom Hearts whose fanfics were really amazing and didn't revolve around shipping and OCs just... removed all her stuff. All of it. She said she needed to move on, which... I do understand sort of, but I don't know why it all needed to be taken down. Not only that, her old harddrive crashed after she deleted all of her fanfiction, so she lost them all and was panicking and it just wasn't pretty.
Pard-ra? Par-dra? I sound like a Thundercats character. Click please? .gif.gif
@korradorable I write fanfictions it's been a year since I have updated or uploaded any fanfics, but I leave them all up (in one of my accounts have 413 fanfics) so others can still enjoy them and I don't have any of them saved on documents. Maybe she hadn't saved any of her works?
@korradorable I write fanfictions it's been a year since I have updated or uploaded any fanfics, but I leave them all up (in one of my accounts have 413 fanfics) so others can still enjoy them and I don't have any of them saved on documents. Maybe she hadn't saved any of her works?
tumblr_nvbmx7Aqk71u2bprpo1_100.pngarcane_zps910ae348.png
1 2 3 4 5