Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | My reaction when...
1 2 3 4
@Cherryblod

Don't worry, Lego Movie's the main reason I know who he is.

And it's also my favorite movie he's in.
@Cherryblod

Don't worry, Lego Movie's the main reason I know who he is.

And it's also my favorite movie he's in.
@Morticia:

That doesn't sound so bad. Are there laws or general rules or something about using all of the animal? Because if you aren't going to use the whole animal or let someone else use the parts you don't want, it seems wasteful. I don't think hunting is so bad if you use the whole animal, but I'm not sure if trophy hunting always puts the whole animal to use or not.

@Firetear @ArchieHicox:

Sorry for ruining Chris Pratt for you on some level. XD

@ChrisPratt:

Pity. I'd love to talk to Chris Pratt. I've only seen him in The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, but from what I know of him, he seems like he'd be a delight to interview or talk to.
@Morticia:

That doesn't sound so bad. Are there laws or general rules or something about using all of the animal? Because if you aren't going to use the whole animal or let someone else use the parts you don't want, it seems wasteful. I don't think hunting is so bad if you use the whole animal, but I'm not sure if trophy hunting always puts the whole animal to use or not.

@Firetear @ArchieHicox:

Sorry for ruining Chris Pratt for you on some level. XD

@ChrisPratt:

Pity. I'd love to talk to Chris Pratt. I've only seen him in The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, but from what I know of him, he seems like he'd be a delight to interview or talk to.
qvTNuJR.pnglogo16_zps302d6ac7.png Utter Phasma Trash
@MythGriffin24

Generally, yes. The fur and horns/antlers/etc are usually imported back with the hunter for mounting purposes. The meat is either then donated or imported back as well. The skeleton can be used in ceremonial things or arts/crafts/taxidermy as well.

Remember, though. Even if someone kills an animal and just leaves it in the woods (no one does this) nothing is ever truly "wasted."
Every rotting carcass goes to use, be that from scavengers looking for a meal or nutrients for plants back to the soil. =)
@MythGriffin24

Generally, yes. The fur and horns/antlers/etc are usually imported back with the hunter for mounting purposes. The meat is either then donated or imported back as well. The skeleton can be used in ceremonial things or arts/crafts/taxidermy as well.

Remember, though. Even if someone kills an animal and just leaves it in the woods (no one does this) nothing is ever truly "wasted."
Every rotting carcass goes to use, be that from scavengers looking for a meal or nutrients for plants back to the soil. =)
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
You beat me to it. [img]http://i.onionstatic.com/clickhole/1947/animated/original.gif[/img] @ChrisPratt
You beat me to it.
original.gif
@ChrisPratt
MUYNhfy.png
QRVupBA.png ACOZFAh.png hh5n4WA.png

tumblr_p14ugnvISB1v0ohcpo1_500.gif
@Morticia:

But what about bullets left in the carcass? Animals can get really sick from swallowing bullets. Heck, I've read about how lead bullets have caused endangered California vultures to get seriously ill. So no, leaving a carcass actually wouldn't be helpful because unless you take the bullet out, an animal eating the carcass could swallow the bullet and choke or fall ill.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do people hunt for fun? Is killing an animal really that enjoyable? I get it if people want the meat or something because they want an alternative to what's available in grocery stores or they just like wild meat better, but why would anyone ENJOY that? I just can't imagine shooting an animal, personally, because it just seems like it'd be a pretty serious thing. I mean, it's just creepy to me-an animal lover-to imagine someone enjoying hunting and hunting because they like it, not because they want to use the animal for food/clothes/etc....
@Morticia:

But what about bullets left in the carcass? Animals can get really sick from swallowing bullets. Heck, I've read about how lead bullets have caused endangered California vultures to get seriously ill. So no, leaving a carcass actually wouldn't be helpful because unless you take the bullet out, an animal eating the carcass could swallow the bullet and choke or fall ill.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do people hunt for fun? Is killing an animal really that enjoyable? I get it if people want the meat or something because they want an alternative to what's available in grocery stores or they just like wild meat better, but why would anyone ENJOY that? I just can't imagine shooting an animal, personally, because it just seems like it'd be a pretty serious thing. I mean, it's just creepy to me-an animal lover-to imagine someone enjoying hunting and hunting because they like it, not because they want to use the animal for food/clothes/etc....
@mythgriffin24

Are you saying I'm not an animal lover?
The negatives of an animal eating the bullet (and I'd really love to see some statistics on this genuinely) are nothing compared to the money generated, I'm going to wager.
Hunters want to see their quarry preserved so they can continue to practice their hobby.
And people enjoy hunting because they just do. Other animals hunt and kill for fun (cats, primates) so we arent alone...
@mythgriffin24

Are you saying I'm not an animal lover?
The negatives of an animal eating the bullet (and I'd really love to see some statistics on this genuinely) are nothing compared to the money generated, I'm going to wager.
Hunters want to see their quarry preserved so they can continue to practice their hobby.
And people enjoy hunting because they just do. Other animals hunt and kill for fun (cats, primates) so we arent alone...
@MythGriffin24 @Morticia

No one is saying you aren't an animal lover, Mortica. MythGriffin was just asking WHY people think it's fun. It's a perfectly reasonable question. Killing should NOT be fun. I'm not saying people can't go and hunt for sport, even though I'm very against it. I just think we should be respectful of life, both human and animal, and should definitely NOT take pleasure in killing something, for food or a trophy.
I personally think you shouldn't hunt an animal, unless you are going to actually eat it. And leaving the carcass for the other animals to eat, isn't a good enough reason. Wild animals can hunt for their own food. They don't need a human to leave a carcass full of bullets for them to eat.
@MythGriffin24 @Morticia

No one is saying you aren't an animal lover, Mortica. MythGriffin was just asking WHY people think it's fun. It's a perfectly reasonable question. Killing should NOT be fun. I'm not saying people can't go and hunt for sport, even though I'm very against it. I just think we should be respectful of life, both human and animal, and should definitely NOT take pleasure in killing something, for food or a trophy.
I personally think you shouldn't hunt an animal, unless you are going to actually eat it. And leaving the carcass for the other animals to eat, isn't a good enough reason. Wild animals can hunt for their own food. They don't need a human to leave a carcass full of bullets for them to eat.
og0rGtI.jpg
@Firetear
@MythGriffin24

I guess I'll just have to respectfully disagree.
@Firetear
@MythGriffin24

I guess I'll just have to respectfully disagree.
@MythGriffin24
First of all... is it really necessary to come into a joke thread and start talking about trophy hunting in a negative light, especially without knowing all of the details behind it? Much less start a debate about your beliefs on hunting? I adore animals and have devoted a large chunk of my life to taking care of and preserving them. However, I also enjoy hunting. Hunting is a natural part of life, and yes, it's thrilling to hunt. There is no malicious intent in most hunters. Are some careless and wasteful? Yes, absolutely, but not every hunter is like that, and the implicating that enjoying hunting makes me or anyone else some kind of monster is really insulting, honestly. Especially when I go through a lot of care to make sure I waste nothing and that anything I hunt is dealt with respectfully.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter because I have no wish to spam this thread with debate, but that really ticked me off.
@MythGriffin24
First of all... is it really necessary to come into a joke thread and start talking about trophy hunting in a negative light, especially without knowing all of the details behind it? Much less start a debate about your beliefs on hunting? I adore animals and have devoted a large chunk of my life to taking care of and preserving them. However, I also enjoy hunting. Hunting is a natural part of life, and yes, it's thrilling to hunt. There is no malicious intent in most hunters. Are some careless and wasteful? Yes, absolutely, but not every hunter is like that, and the implicating that enjoying hunting makes me or anyone else some kind of monster is really insulting, honestly. Especially when I go through a lot of care to make sure I waste nothing and that anything I hunt is dealt with respectfully.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter because I have no wish to spam this thread with debate, but that really ticked me off.
JViYfKK.png
@Morticia:

Here's what I was talking about with the vultures: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0015350

I can research more, if you want more info about how bullets can hurt animals. That was just one example.

@Power:

I'm not calling you a monster. That was never my intent. All I meant to ask was, "Why is it thrilling?" I won't call you a monster. You are not a monster. You are a human being, and we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

I'm fine with hunters who use all of the animal. I'm just wondering why it's thrilling because it seems like it would be a pretty serious thing to me.

@Firetear:

Thanks for helping to clarify what I meant!
@Morticia:

Here's what I was talking about with the vultures: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0015350

I can research more, if you want more info about how bullets can hurt animals. That was just one example.

@Power:

I'm not calling you a monster. That was never my intent. All I meant to ask was, "Why is it thrilling?" I won't call you a monster. You are not a monster. You are a human being, and we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

I'm fine with hunters who use all of the animal. I'm just wondering why it's thrilling because it seems like it would be a pretty serious thing to me.

@Firetear:

Thanks for helping to clarify what I meant!
1 2 3 4