Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Running tips?
1 2
i really wanna start running, but im horribly out of shape. walking up a large flight of stairs will leave me winded and running just a block will have me catching my breath forever.. DX

does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a total beginner? certain foods to eat or avoid? certain kinds of clothes? anything will help!
i really wanna start running, but im horribly out of shape. walking up a large flight of stairs will leave me winded and running just a block will have me catching my breath forever.. DX

does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a total beginner? certain foods to eat or avoid? certain kinds of clothes? anything will help!
K6TNbNL.pnggnd7XS8.pngKBrR3YL.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
Comfy shoes are a must. Else you'll end up with blisters. I would honestly start out with walking to help get your endurance up and your legs back in shape, otherwise you'll end up with sore legs and no desire to do much of anything. Definitely do some stretches before starting to loosen things up.
Comfy shoes are a must. Else you'll end up with blisters. I would honestly start out with walking to help get your endurance up and your legs back in shape, otherwise you'll end up with sore legs and no desire to do much of anything. Definitely do some stretches before starting to loosen things up.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
@Demonically
thanks! i do have myself some nice running shoes :> and ill definitely keep that in mind. stretches and walking will come first
@Demonically
thanks! i do have myself some nice running shoes :> and ill definitely keep that in mind. stretches and walking will come first
i don't know your financial situation and i dont want to know that is your business but maybe get one of those bike things to start my friend started with one and it helped when she started runing because it helps your leg muscles
i don't know your financial situation and i dont want to know that is your business but maybe get one of those bike things to start my friend started with one and it helped when she started runing because it helps your leg muscles
190447.jpgimagesCA05V0CJ.jpgrainbow_dash_as_gothic_by_emichaca-d52aan7.png
Music definitely helps :) Your natural sense of rhythm will make you fall in step with whatever you are listening to. Even a song with a slower beat will still keep you going at a steady pace for its 3-4 minute duration, which is better than no exercise at all; while a faster song could have you tearing up the road!

Obviously, don't do this late at night or in a part of town with a lot of crime; as your earphones would drown out the sound of a mugger.
Music definitely helps :) Your natural sense of rhythm will make you fall in step with whatever you are listening to. Even a song with a slower beat will still keep you going at a steady pace for its 3-4 minute duration, which is better than no exercise at all; while a faster song could have you tearing up the road!

Obviously, don't do this late at night or in a part of town with a lot of crime; as your earphones would drown out the sound of a mugger.
DC2.S?GmL-W-TPaPlSkfCbr|br-B-AFr--NpM-H+$-FoR+Ac+J--S--U--I-V?Q---Tc---E++Df+
@Greenzaku, ah good idea! i wonder if there are running headphones? earbuds never seem to stay in my ears VnV ill make a playlist for sure :D thanks~
@Greenzaku, ah good idea! i wonder if there are running headphones? earbuds never seem to stay in my ears VnV ill make a playlist for sure :D thanks~
@dorrovick I had to jump from minimal activity to averaging 7 miles of walking a week due to classes. First week and a half..Dear dark gods. I woke up with my legs cramping. This is something you want to avoid. Worse comes to worse? Hot shower and tylenol before bed.
@dorrovick I had to jump from minimal activity to averaging 7 miles of walking a week due to classes. First week and a half..Dear dark gods. I woke up with my legs cramping. This is something you want to avoid. Worse comes to worse? Hot shower and tylenol before bed.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
Take up the correct running positions & yadda-yadda. Save yourself busted knees. Never land on your heels!
Take up the correct running positions & yadda-yadda. Save yourself busted knees. Never land on your heels!
Google about couch to 5k. That is a program many people have been successful in =)
Google about couch to 5k. That is a program many people have been successful in =)
Second about couch to 5k. I haven't used it (when I started running, I just kinda did it), but I've given it to plenty of friends who want to start running.
I think the key is really just constancy. It's going to suck getting started. After the third day, you won't wanna do it anymore because it's boring or whatever and you'll find that you're giving yourself a million excuses why not to go. Unless it's a real one (you're injured, weather is dangerous) try to make time and get out there. Running doesn't get easier when you don't run.
Second about couch to 5k. I haven't used it (when I started running, I just kinda did it), but I've given it to plenty of friends who want to start running.
I think the key is really just constancy. It's going to suck getting started. After the third day, you won't wanna do it anymore because it's boring or whatever and you'll find that you're giving yourself a million excuses why not to go. Unless it's a real one (you're injured, weather is dangerous) try to make time and get out there. Running doesn't get easier when you don't run.
b6KLuw7.gif
1 2