Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Calling Hawaiians! (and any concerned)
Calling anyone really, but those who live in Hawaii, visit Hawaii and/or have family/friends in Hawaii might be most concerned.

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/crimes-against-humanity-how-monsanto-is-turning-a-hawaiian-island-into-a-petri-dish-complete-with-human-lab-rats-06132013

I grieve for the losses of the native population. The land, the people, the culture..
It's a loss for all be they native, resident, visitor or otherwise even if we don't all realize it.

I hope that progress is being made like in the article below to save the natives of Hawaii and the culture and land they hope to keep. http://mauinow.com/2014/04/08/maui-petition-filed-against-gmo-industry-monsanto-responds/

I have here atleast links to petitions so more progress can be made,
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/bring-down-monsanto-monopoly/
http://wakeup-world.com/2013/10/24/stop-monsanto-in-hawaii/
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ban_GMO_on_Hawaii_Island_2
Calling anyone really, but those who live in Hawaii, visit Hawaii and/or have family/friends in Hawaii might be most concerned.

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/crimes-against-humanity-how-monsanto-is-turning-a-hawaiian-island-into-a-petri-dish-complete-with-human-lab-rats-06132013

I grieve for the losses of the native population. The land, the people, the culture..
It's a loss for all be they native, resident, visitor or otherwise even if we don't all realize it.

I hope that progress is being made like in the article below to save the natives of Hawaii and the culture and land they hope to keep. http://mauinow.com/2014/04/08/maui-petition-filed-against-gmo-industry-monsanto-responds/

I have here atleast links to petitions so more progress can be made,
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/bring-down-monsanto-monopoly/
http://wakeup-world.com/2013/10/24/stop-monsanto-in-hawaii/
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ban_GMO_on_Hawaii_Island_2
~
Wow that is absolutely horrible. Monsanto is a terrible company and this is not the first horror story I've heard about them. What really ticks me off is that they use GMOs in bad ways (making plants that they can spray super toxic chemicals on, suing farmers whose plants are accidentally pollinated by theirs, etc) so now people think GMOs in general are the problem, rather than Monsanto being a ****** company. GMOs can actually be really good, such as drought resistant grains for areas that have been strongly affected by climate change. When used correctly, they can be a great thing and help a lot of people who otherwise would not be able to grow food, but that's NOT what Monsanto is using them for. I absolutely loathe Monsanto and their wildly unethical business practices. I hope Hawaii can get rid of them.
Wow that is absolutely horrible. Monsanto is a terrible company and this is not the first horror story I've heard about them. What really ticks me off is that they use GMOs in bad ways (making plants that they can spray super toxic chemicals on, suing farmers whose plants are accidentally pollinated by theirs, etc) so now people think GMOs in general are the problem, rather than Monsanto being a ****** company. GMOs can actually be really good, such as drought resistant grains for areas that have been strongly affected by climate change. When used correctly, they can be a great thing and help a lot of people who otherwise would not be able to grow food, but that's NOT what Monsanto is using them for. I absolutely loathe Monsanto and their wildly unethical business practices. I hope Hawaii can get rid of them.
250.png
@sunfeathers
Thank you for your understanding!

Hmm using GMO's correctly. Would be hard I think but I am curious.
Changing the DNA is a risky thing. Some effects on the plants and the environment not being inmediatly detectable. Balance is important and if it is being disrupted by GMO crops overpowering other plants I think humans are doing it wrong. It might help some people inmediatly but the longterm effects could be the downfall of many species including ours.
@sunfeathers
Thank you for your understanding!

Hmm using GMO's correctly. Would be hard I think but I am curious.
Changing the DNA is a risky thing. Some effects on the plants and the environment not being inmediatly detectable. Balance is important and if it is being disrupted by GMO crops overpowering other plants I think humans are doing it wrong. It might help some people inmediatly but the longterm effects could be the downfall of many species including ours.
~
Yeah I definitely think that farmers should try to minimize their impact on the environment. I think that eating local food from small farms is great for people and the environment and I try to eat local when I can. Large scale farming (GMO or non-GMO) definitely has a variety of harmful effects on the environment. Monocropping, pesticides, and taking too much water from local ecosystems are a few of them just off the top of my head.

Unfortunately the problem is the fact that there are 7 billion people and the earth simply does not have the resources to support that many people at the standard that people from developed countries are used to living at. Large scale farming is an effective way to produce a large amount of food, and when 1/3 of people in the world are going hungry it's hard to justify not going with whatever method produces the most food, even if it isn't good for the environment. And yes I totally understand and agree that we rely on the environment and that we are hurting ourselves long term, but in the short term millions of people are starving to death. Basically there are too many people and we are feeling the effects of overpopulation, with poor countries getting the worst of it.

The good news is that there is definitely research being done on how to maximize the efficiency of farming with the minimum amount of damage to the environment. That's where things like GMOs can come in. Monsanto engineers their plants to be able to resist super toxins, which is fairly obviously not a great thing for the environment or the people who then eat the toxin covered plant. The problem isn't the genetic modification itself so much as the fact that Monsanto is then dumping buckets of poison onto the plants. Genetic modification is basically just a tool that can be used to change plants, similar to how selective breeding changes plants over time. It can definitely be used in ways that are helpful to people. Some examples are the drought resistant grain from earlier as well as potatoes that were modified with a gene from wild potatoes that makes them immune to the fungus that caused the Irish potato famine. It's a tool and it obviously can be used in harmful ways, but it also has potential to help with the hunger problem worldwide. (It's not the only tool of course, and there are other things also being done to help with more efficient farming.)

Haha sorry went a little off topic there. Basically I think that GMOs themselves are not the problem (although I think it definitely makes sense to research their impact on an area before using them in that area). However companies like Monsanto that engineer plants specifically so that they can dump super strength weedkiller on them are obviously harming people and the environment and should not be tolerated.
Yeah I definitely think that farmers should try to minimize their impact on the environment. I think that eating local food from small farms is great for people and the environment and I try to eat local when I can. Large scale farming (GMO or non-GMO) definitely has a variety of harmful effects on the environment. Monocropping, pesticides, and taking too much water from local ecosystems are a few of them just off the top of my head.

Unfortunately the problem is the fact that there are 7 billion people and the earth simply does not have the resources to support that many people at the standard that people from developed countries are used to living at. Large scale farming is an effective way to produce a large amount of food, and when 1/3 of people in the world are going hungry it's hard to justify not going with whatever method produces the most food, even if it isn't good for the environment. And yes I totally understand and agree that we rely on the environment and that we are hurting ourselves long term, but in the short term millions of people are starving to death. Basically there are too many people and we are feeling the effects of overpopulation, with poor countries getting the worst of it.

The good news is that there is definitely research being done on how to maximize the efficiency of farming with the minimum amount of damage to the environment. That's where things like GMOs can come in. Monsanto engineers their plants to be able to resist super toxins, which is fairly obviously not a great thing for the environment or the people who then eat the toxin covered plant. The problem isn't the genetic modification itself so much as the fact that Monsanto is then dumping buckets of poison onto the plants. Genetic modification is basically just a tool that can be used to change plants, similar to how selective breeding changes plants over time. It can definitely be used in ways that are helpful to people. Some examples are the drought resistant grain from earlier as well as potatoes that were modified with a gene from wild potatoes that makes them immune to the fungus that caused the Irish potato famine. It's a tool and it obviously can be used in harmful ways, but it also has potential to help with the hunger problem worldwide. (It's not the only tool of course, and there are other things also being done to help with more efficient farming.)

Haha sorry went a little off topic there. Basically I think that GMOs themselves are not the problem (although I think it definitely makes sense to research their impact on an area before using them in that area). However companies like Monsanto that engineer plants specifically so that they can dump super strength weedkiller on them are obviously harming people and the environment and should not be tolerated.
250.png