Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone TechSavvy? (Building Computers)
So I'm trying to build my first gaming comp. I know how to mount and put everything together, but my biggest problem so far is in part choices. So here is what I'm planning on so far:

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Western Digital Red Pro 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 2GB Video Card
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

With a Windows 8 or 10 OS

Any recommendations? Have about 1000 dollar budget, and looking for something that can run most of the new stuff on high graphics with a decent framerate (like 60+)
So I'm trying to build my first gaming comp. I know how to mount and put everything together, but my biggest problem so far is in part choices. So here is what I'm planning on so far:

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Western Digital Red Pro 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 2GB Video Card
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

With a Windows 8 or 10 OS

Any recommendations? Have about 1000 dollar budget, and looking for something that can run most of the new stuff on high graphics with a decent framerate (like 60+)
tumblr_ndzarciQjc1si697do1_500.png
@Ophiuchae

So far so good, no big nonos as far as I can tell.

Just little things, for gaming e.g. the cpu is a bit.. odd, nothing against amd, big fan, but 8 cores are currently not really supported by games, as most games are developed with an intel cpu in mind. And, Ghz > Cores. A higher clocked cpu with less cores would be slightly better.
The FX3650 for instance has a higher clocking per se, and a free multiplier, making overclocking a lot easier.

The GPU is a little on the weak side, a 750ti or best case, a 760 would be way better in that set-up, and would also fit your cpu.

If you want to safe some money on that spot, swap the 2tb HDD for a 1tb one that runs on 5400rpm, which is way cheaper, and add a small SSD (like 120GB) for the OS
You should, in general consider an SSD, this is what makes them pcs fast nowadays, and it will make re-installations of the OS every now and then obsolete.

The board is a good choice, in case you're planning on installing a second GPU anytime.
If however, you know that you definetly never will use 2 graphic cards, you can go for something cheaper.
The PSU is overkill... way out of league for that rig. A decent 550W PSU with gold certificate will do.

Edith says:
You have a fairly decent setup there, but the GPU is a weakspot, try to squeeze some bucks and go for a GTX760 instead, you might regret it if you don't.
@Ophiuchae

So far so good, no big nonos as far as I can tell.

Just little things, for gaming e.g. the cpu is a bit.. odd, nothing against amd, big fan, but 8 cores are currently not really supported by games, as most games are developed with an intel cpu in mind. And, Ghz > Cores. A higher clocked cpu with less cores would be slightly better.
The FX3650 for instance has a higher clocking per se, and a free multiplier, making overclocking a lot easier.

The GPU is a little on the weak side, a 750ti or best case, a 760 would be way better in that set-up, and would also fit your cpu.

If you want to safe some money on that spot, swap the 2tb HDD for a 1tb one that runs on 5400rpm, which is way cheaper, and add a small SSD (like 120GB) for the OS
You should, in general consider an SSD, this is what makes them pcs fast nowadays, and it will make re-installations of the OS every now and then obsolete.

The board is a good choice, in case you're planning on installing a second GPU anytime.
If however, you know that you definetly never will use 2 graphic cards, you can go for something cheaper.
The PSU is overkill... way out of league for that rig. A decent 550W PSU with gold certificate will do.

Edith says:
You have a fairly decent setup there, but the GPU is a weakspot, try to squeeze some bucks and go for a GTX760 instead, you might regret it if you don't.
76561198133717324.png

~~ FR-time +9hrs~~